• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aimless, Need Guidance (Long Winded Post)

W

Wallz

Around 2 years ago I discovered Ultima Online. I came from World of Warcraft/Guild Wars/D&D Stormreach and some other mmos, so initially I wasn't impressed. However, the community was amazing and I joined a great guild on Great Lakes. For around 4 months it was as much fun as I ever had in an MMO. Then...suddenly...I either got burned out or just bored and closed my account. (real life obligations also played a factor)

Last weekend I used an Adv Char Token and made a Mage/Necro with some wrestling. I'm not sure what to do, though. I traded another token for a good house on Dagger Isle, so...

I think my goal is to start systematically killing tough monsters and collecting some sort of trophy (doesn't have to be unique, just some loot that I lock down)from them to display in my house.

Stratics has so much information that I don't know where to start...keep in mind that I'm still a "newbie" since I've probably only played for 4 months total.

Does anyone have any advice on where to get started on my hunting? I have 85 magery/85 resist/85 eval/70 inscrip/70 med/30 focus/30 spirit speak/50 wrestling/50 necro.

Or if there is a good general hunting guide available, please let me know.

Also, any template advice would be helpful.

Finally, what are the really fun combat things to do solo? Are there any dungeons that I could explore solo?

Thanks

G

Try the necro and/or Mage forum links from the list here and compare some of the hunting/skill raising notes in their FAQs to each other. Anything that is a common item between them is sure to help both skills.

With Necro in the mix, be very aware your Fame/Karma will be negative much of the time due to the spell types you use. Thus maintaining even neutral karma will be a challenge many times.

The only time I used an Adv Char token was to actually get a character set with specific skills I was having a hard time raising on other characters. I then used a soulstone to transfer stuff around and turned the (formar) advanced character into a mule ... which I also needed.

W

Wallz

Thanks! I will check that thread out for some template help. Regarding hunting...any ideas?

G

Low-level stuff ... Despise (N of Britain). Entry is actually level 2, upstairs is Lizardmen. Down the stairs is Earth Elementals, Ettins, then Levle 4 is (I believe) Cyclops, Titans in areas, Trolls, Ogre Lords ...

Undead ... Deceit on Ice Island. Top level is skeletons, zombies, a room for Mummies ... lower levels can set up Liches, Lich Lords and more.

Shame ... top level Earth Eles, Scorpions. Next level down, Air, Water Eles, a Kraken or Hydra once in a while ... haven't been in there in a bit so I forget what's lower in.

Main UO Stratics page has dungeon maps and a listing of the mobs likely to be found there.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One suggestion for "Trophies" would be to eventually go after Ilshenar paragons that drop a chest, then when you get a chest, it will have the creature type written on the chest. After opening the chest (to make sure it doesn't take up too many lockdowns, you can put some of the "trophy" loot from it or normal examples of the type in it, or locked down beside it (the empty chest becoming a marker to identify the source of the loot).

J

joblackjon

Two great resources for you are Stratics' The Complete Hunter's Guide (main Stratics page, under Monsters, left side, toward the bottom) and Stratics' Maps & Locations (main Stratics page, left side, toward the middle).

With Magery you simply need to cast the appropreiate level spells as shown in the Mage forum.

I suggest you pick a location from the Maps which describes the critters you will encounter there. Then check out those critters in the Hunter's Guide...so you will know whether you can handle them and what to expect. Explore...that's one of UO's best features!

Good hunting!