• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Against corrupted souls in Magincia...

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been having an awful time getting threads from these on my home shard, where none of my characters are fully-developed melee warriors. I have a character on my original shard who I plan to transfer soon, but he has NO updated equipment (his GM-made weapon has 20% DI). I'm going to work chivalry on him a bit I think and try to collect some of the new rubble on that shard before I bring him over.

Basically, can anyone suggest some items I should shop for to equip him with that won't cost me an arm and a leg? A few artifacts here and there are fine, but nothing involving a cincture. :p

I just don't know how to fight these guys efficiently. I can usually kill one (with a swordsman) and get away before the second kills me.

The character I'm going to *try* it with is GM'd in some of the pre-powerscroll basics... swords, tactics, anatomy, then 80ish in resist, healing, and parry. Any suggestions on what to do with equipping him before the event ends?

Also, are the Magincia souls considered undead and vulnerable to a trinket and slayer weapons? I heard they have low poison resist, and then fire, but are strong against cold. I'm not sure if that's true.

EDIT: I forgot to add that a few resources I do have on that shard are around 20 heritage tokens (if any of those items may help) and around 50 soulstone fragment tokens that I'm going to sell to fund a few endeavours before I leave that shard for good.

R

RichDC

I have been having an awful time getting threads from these on my home shard, where none of my characters are fully-developed melee warriors. I have a character on my original shard who I plan to transfer soon, but he has NO updated equipment (his GM-made weapon has 20% DI). I'm going to work chivalry on him a bit I think and try to collect some of the new rubble on that shard before I bring him over.

Basically, can anyone suggest some items I should shop for to equip him with that won't cost me an arm and a leg? A few artifacts here and there are fine, but nothing involving a cincture. :p

I just don't know how to fight these guys efficiently. I can usually kill one (with a swordsman) and get away before the second kills me.

The character I'm going to *try* it with is GM'd in some of the pre-powerscroll basics... swords, tactics, anatomy, then 80ish in resist, healing, and parry. Any suggestions on what to do with equipping him before the event ends?
Try using a Soul Seeker, its an all round decent swords weap. Should be ok to start with.

If you have the gold and Mondains Legacy maybe think of getting a Primer At Arms talisman (1str bonus, 20%DI and Hpr2) usually runs about a mil or 2.

The rest of the pieces may need a bit more investment and thought about how you want to make your suit (what mods you will need)

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry... I think I was editing my post during your reply. Soul seekers do 100% cold, and it looked like a friend of mine was getting completely thwomped while using one.

I was considering a Primer... I saw a couple decently priced on the shard, and I don't have one (not having had a strong warrior in the past) on the shard I'm transferring him to.

R

RichDC

Hmm, to be honest ive been using some mean runic weaps just thought the whirlwind may be nice, what shard are u on btw??

For a starter piece you could try the heart of lion/violet courage (nice resists and 15%dci) or a Rune beetle carapace(more expensive than the others but niceish resists 15%lmc mr3 and int bonus). Use one of those tokens to get a quiver of infinity (5%dci on your back, put 10 arrows in it btw)

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm on Chesapeake.

Yes, the whirlwind is what my buddy thought would be ideal for when they swarm him, but it didn't look like it was working out too well, which is why I think the high cold resist suggestion was true.

I wouldn't mind buying a carapace, but I haven't seen one for sale lately on Chessy. I saw a couple a few weeks ago, but grossly overpriced in Luna (as most things are I guess).

R

RichDC

Just remembered...if you have chiv just use consecrate weapon, that will change the damage type to your targets weakest resist.

Also cast enemy of one when your there(100%DI)

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeez, I didn't even think about consecrate. Thanks. :)

Are quivers of infinity still worth equipping on a melee warrior? I remember a lot of complaining by archers that they should only affect bows, but I wasn't sure if they actually changed that or not.

R

RichDC

Seems to work for me, i just put some arrows in it (10=1stone).

Let me know how that works cos i still want some threads just for my collection :p

B

BCC minsterofdefence

like all undead corrupted souls are very weak to fire if you dont have chiv on a melee char well your a bit silly..... but assumeing you do cast con wep that will enchant you wep with 100% fire and they will drop like rocks.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is my suit most pieces can be gotten relatively cheaply

mace and sheild glasses ( HLD 30, STR 10 Dex 5) (Library Collections)
Jackal's collar (Dex 15 HPR 2) ( Doom)
Ring of vile ( Dex 8 Stam Reg 6 HCI 15)
Resilient Bracers ( RS +15 HPI 5 HPR2 DCI 10)
Storm grips ( Intell 8, DI 25) ( Tok Trade ins)
Heart of Lion (DCI 15) ( Drops in Ilsh)
Fey legs (HPI 6, DCI 20) (Drops in Tok)
Quiver of Infinity ( DCI 5) (heritage token)
Primer of arms tali (Str 1 HPR 2) (Library collections)
Crimson ( Dex 5, HPI 10 HPR 2) ( found one on sale the other day 12 mill)

My perfered weapons are the soul seeker, and my ornate Axe (HLL 55, HSL34, HML 60, SSI 25, DI 45)

Stats are 114/125/60

If you sell those Stone frags I am sure you could buy/acquire everything I own (except my AXE) with plenty to spare if you are willing to do some collection work.

With this suit, the pally sammy template and some practice you can solo all the monsters and most bosses.

HLD, and DCI, and Honor are really the key!

Good luck!

TW

Z

zorrah

Just because I've been training up my newish paladin at Magincia every day (it is a phenomenal place to train all combat/resist spells from 90ish+), I thought I'd give a list of what I wear.. the plate is not exactly cheap, but it was free to me (I did a lot of cross shard trading during spring cleaning).

Complete Knight's Plate Suit: all 70/ HP+2/HP Regen 2/MP Regen 2/DCI 10/HCI 10
Chiv +10/Tactics +13/HCI 12/LMC 8/Pois Resist 6 ring
Swords +14/Str 6/LMC 7/DI 20/Cold Resist 11 bracelet
Conjurer's Trinket: Undead Slayer/Str 1/HP Regen 1/HCI 10/DI 10 (not vitally important, I just bought this about a week ago, doesn't seem to be necessary when it comes to Magincia.. I wasn't even wearing a talisman prior to this)
Verite Tear Kite Shield: Reflect Phys Dam 15/DCI 8/some resists that don't matter since I'm already at 70 in all
Righteous Anger: This is the weapon I have been using at Magincia since Despise started leveling off for me and with fighting skills in the 90s, wasn't quite ready to do Ogre Lords. I have since purchased a Soul Seeker, however, Righteous Anger seems to be far more efficient on Magincia. It's stats are HCI 15/DCI 5/SSI 35/DI 40. Physical Damage is at 100% and I consecrate whenever I get mobbed or feel like the fight is going too slowly. As mentioned earlier, EoO constantly. The corrupted souls will be the only thing you're fighting, use that to your advantage. I started out in a similar situation as you, and now I'm able to take up to 6-7 of them before I have to run off and heal up a bit.

Keep in mind, of course, that I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm a very casual player that hasn't played the game seriously since beta. I just know that, except for the 1500gp I spent on the Righteous Anger, this suit was absolutely free to me (plate from spring cleaning, my smith made my shield, and I picked up the jewels off the bank floor in Luna.. I don't count the talisman, as I just got it and doesn't seem to have a big effect on my damage.. don't think that these guys count as undead).

Good luck! :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what is your template Zorrah.....parry isn't really being helped by your shield.
you may want to try getting a two handed weapon...or even a soul seeker.

just a thought.

Hey in one of the stickies up top is a post by someone called bagdaddy.

discussed his template...and his armor/weapons...you might find it very informative...I know I did.

Z

zorrah

what is your template Zorrah.....parry isn't really being helped by your shield.
you may want to try getting a two handed weapon...or even a soul seeker.

just a thought.

Hey in one of the stickies up top is a post by someone called bagdaddy.

discussed his template...and his armor/weapons...you might find it very informative...I know I did.
Right now it's tenatively:
Anatomy 105
Chivalry 66.9/76.9 w/jewels (and pointed down)
Focus 97.6 (and pointed down)
Healing 84.9
Parrying 86.9
Resisting Spells 76.7
Swords 99.8/110 w/jewels
Tactics 97/110 w/jewels

Right now I'm focused on two things:

GMing parry
Getting 120 scrolls for Swords and probably Tactics

I started a thread last week regarding my template (I was accidentally referring to two separate bookmarked templates while building my char). My ultimate plan at this point is to decide what to drop (either focus or resist, probably focus), and build up swords/tactics and possibly drop chiv a bit and pick up bushido. Not positive of on my course of actions, still mulling things over.

And as I noted, I have already purchased a Soul Seeker (and can do Painted Caves half asleep.. oi it's amazing how much easier this game can be in some aspects compared to years ago.. Admirable to Glorious Lady in just less than an hour.. unheard of 10 years ago). I've just found that on Magincia, Righteous Anger does much better.

Anyway, any guidance that you might have is greatly appreciated :) Not to hijack the thread of course. :X

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
any thread that we can all learn from isn't exactly hijacked! :)

I would drop anat and tactics to 100 and lock...the benefit to taking those above 100 aren't major. The points can be better used elsewhere.

If you are going to spend most of your time pvp then keep resist spells. Otherwise stone it. Resist really isn't needed for pvm.

I like parry/bush and swords at 120.
I set my healing to 80 and used enhanced bandages ( makes your healing 90 for all intensive purposes.)

I set Chiv to 80... with a tight template any more is a waste.

Drop focus...good mana leech weapons keep my mana pool full!

Go sacrifice that fame to some liches and repeat the trip to painted caves daily. Building sacrifices will give you self rezzes...later on, that will really help! Like if you are on dread horn island soloing dread horn and mess up!

:)
good luck!

TW

C

Connor_Graham

I would drop anat and tactics to 100 and lock...the benefit to taking those above 100 aren't major. The points can be better used elsewhere.
There is a 20% increase to damage between 100 & 120 Tactics. Hardly worth dismissing.

T

Turdnugget

Why do you need 10 arrows in the quiver? Do you not get the 5DCI bonus if it's empty?

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a 20% increase to damage between 100 & 120 Tactics. Hardly worth dismissing.
My friend 20% of capped damage is 0.

I swing heavy weapons, using eoo, CW, and honor. Moving 100 tactics to 120 tactics doesn't increase my damage at all. As I said, it is my opinion that those points can be better used eleswhere.

Z

zorrah

any thread that we can all learn from isn't exactly hijacked! :)

If you are going to spend most of your time pvp then keep resist spells. Otherwise stone it. Resist really isn't needed for pvm.

I like parry/bush and swords at 120.
I set my healing to 80 and used enhanced bandages ( makes your healing 90 for all intensive purposes.)

I set Chiv to 80... with a tight template any more is a waste.

Drop focus...good mana leech weapons keep my mana pool full!

Go sacrifice that fame to some liches and repeat the trip to painted caves daily. Building sacrifices will give you self rezzes...later on, that will really help! Like if you are on dread horn island soloing dread horn and mess up!

:)
good luck!

TW
Excellent advice, I am going to definitely consider it when I make my final decision on where to go with this character. I have two questions/issues though...

1. Given my template (and some better gear), if I drop healing down to 80, keep anat and tactics at 100, drop focus, I should be able to pick up bushido to 120 without issue while still keeping resist at a decent level, if not to GM. I've heard both sides of the story on resist, both with very convincing arguments (for the record, I am keeping this char purely PvM). I have to say that I am leaning more towards keeping it than dropping it, simply because I have already seen pretty significant differences in the way that I am being hit by spells. My revised template would look something like this:

120 swords
120 bushido
100 anatomy
100 tactics
100 parry
80 chiv
80 healing
80 resist

That's 780.. I know it's tough to pull it off, but I've read of people doing it with the right gear. My question is this: if I were to drop resist, what would you recommend I do with the points? I suppose, if I drop it altogether, I could bump anat and tactics up to 120 and be able to focus my jewelry on things like HCI and stuff instead of worrying so much about +skills.

2. You mentioned earlier that my shield wasn't helping with my parry. What did you mean by that? IIRC, back in the day you had to have a shield on to parry. I'm gathering that isn't true any longer. Is that correct? I also remember someone saying how with bushido I couldn't (or shouldn't?) be using a shield anyway.

That is very good information to know!

Thanks to both of you for all of your insight and knowledge. I'm finding it very difficult to comprehend and keep up with all the new aspects of the game, as it seems that many of the FAQs out there are in various stages of being outdated and it's hard to know what's valid anymore or not. I appreciate your willingness to help a 53-month-account noob out ;)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Using a shield drops your parry to some insanely low chance like 5%.

There is a parry chance calculator around here someplace, and I am sure someone is already typing you up the exact formula. For best chance to parry use 2 handed weapons, or even a singlehanded weapon and chug pots with your free hand.

I am also just returning after a year off so I appologize for not having all the numbers at the tip of my tongue.

As far as skill points. The key too the sammy/paladin template is a great suit with good HLD and lots of DCI/hci. I find it is hard to make a great suit for this template if I use alot of skill gain items.

120 parry/bush/swords
100 anat and tact
100 healing and 80 chiv.
is an excellet template if you can do it with a great suit.

maybe 90 healing and enhanced bandies and 90 chiv.

and as I said in my other reply. you are almost always going to be at the damage cap ( which is 300% I think) so that extra 20% damage you get from taking tactics to 120 is wasted. I know from experience, I took mine to 120, only to let it drop to 100.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zorrah, I just realize that you are probably ok using parry with shield until you add Bushido. I believe it is only after Bush is added you take the major hit for using a shield.

Z

zorrah

The shield thing makes sense now.. whenever I take off my shield to drink, I see the white poof parry thing a lot more.

Thanks again for all the info, you're been a huge help!

T

Turdnugget

Parry is only effected by bushido when using a shield. If you've got just parry, a shield is recommended. If you have both, a 2handed weapon is best, but a 1hander only has a minor difference.

Using a shield with bushido + parry = 5% chance to block... it cripples you to use a shield.

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being someone who's taken the past 8 years off from playing a real warrior, I've learned a lot from this thread. I've recently acquired a few of the items (for cheap it seems) recommended to me and am *almost* ready for Magincia combat. My swordsman is still in the 80s on a few things and GM on others though. I think once I get on my game of learning my macros for healing, consecrating, enemy-of-oneing and such I'll be ok. A few more questions though...

Someone earlier suggested the conjurer's trinket does not affect corrupted souls, as they may not count as undead. Does anyone know if this is correct? I guess it wouldn't affect my choice between it or a primer, since the trinket is just a primer with undead slaying + HCI. The HCI makes the trinket a hand's-down choice since I'm not fighting an opposing slayer type (if they're not undead, what are they?). :)

Is there a good recommendation on a shield? As I understand, items with DCI are worthless against mages (which souls pretty much are). I heard DCI doesn't work against spells, just melee/archery. These guys don't dish out too much in the melee department. If using a soul seeker, should I just keep a free hand to drink potions?

Z

zorrah

Someone earlier suggested the conjurer's trinket does not affect corrupted souls, as they may not count as undead. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I am the one who made the suggestion and I can refute my statement. I did some testing: they are undead, and they are affected by the trinket.