• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

AFK Doom Farmers - What to do

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
So, the other day I was in Doom, and came across a guy who was clearly doing some AFK farming. I know this, because at some point, someone else arrived and the first character started talking saying more or less "yeah, I logged in before work, and just let my character sit here, and I got 18 artys".

Writing a script to farm in a pretty homogenious environment that will: attack the nearest mobile of a certain type, keep onesself healed, loot corpses, and even send stuff to the bank via a bag of sending, it pretty simple. Even auto looting items that have the word "artifact" or something in their name is pretty simple.

Since the simplest solution: attack this camper and run them off, is not available to us, I feel like the only solution is to lure a few Devourers up and let them TCOB of the AFKer.

I seem to recall that there were times when such was considered "griefing" - and I get that doing this to a Noob for whom killing a rotting corpse represents a challenge is wrong - but to do it to someone who's AFK that seems... just.

TehanChesapeake

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to agree AFK farming should be adressed. I just hate coming across AFK mining scripters, when I know he's going to make a fortune selling the ingots, and is not even playing.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The obvious solution is to give all the monsters in doom 120 active detect hidden with no cooldown that they spam. Then if you still stay still and don't move you are teleported to the guardian room after 30 seconds. It worked wonders for Blackthorn's dungeon!

:facepalm:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
How does detect hidden, on a visible character play into this? I've been known to stand in the same spot for a while while collecting ore from elementals in BT, and was never teleported anywhere.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How does detect hidden, on a visible character play into this? I've been known to stand in the same spot for a while while collecting ore from elementals in BT, and was never teleported anywhere.
I'm pointing out the the ****ty changes they made to BT's dungeon after these same complaints cropped up. Picking up loot makes you active, put your pet inside the room and stand out side "afk" for a minute. Don't talk, don't move, don't pick up things. You will find yourself telestormed to a poison filled room.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is an old saying..

"If you can't beat them. Join them".

Morbid Malice

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I tend to agree AFK farming should be adressed. I just hate coming across AFK mining scripters, when I know he's going to make a fortune selling the ingots, and is not even playing.

I mine alot...at keyboard...YOU must be talking about that Guy "Odysseus Miles" or whatever his name is.....ping ponging and smelting in Yew...those bots upset the economy

Doom isnt really a worry even with afkers...im usually overwhelemed with a Lich lord, Rotting Corpse and 2 Devo of Souls chasing me around...respawn there is fast enough and this really shouldnt have an effect on the economy especially when turning in 50 for a lantern or such heh.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont blame the player, blame the game. the dev's continue to want to make anything worth while to attain in this game a grind. As such it fosters this type of game play response from the player base.

they would have been better off making it the way the original conjurers trinket drops occurred. that spawn was not amenable to afk farming.

the dread event was another well thought out mechanic. again you had to dismount the rider to tame the horse.

i want the boots. i get one arty every 20 min. presently i have 5 artys. will get my 50 sometime in nov and eventually be done with another poorly thought out event.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I mine alot...at keyboard...YOU must be talking about that Guy "Odysseus Miles" or whatever his name is.....ping ponging and smelting in Yew...those bots upset the economy
He smelts all over. Tor Manning or something very similar also seems to mine roughly 24x7.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
dont blame the player, blame the game. the dev's continue to want to make anything worth while to attain in this game a grind. As such it fosters this type of game play response from the player base.
I don't hate the player, or the game. I'm just saying that if I catch you AFKing, I'm going to go out of my way to make sure you have a rough go for it.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I seem to recall that there were times when such was considered "griefing" - and I get that doing this to a Noob for whom killing a rotting corpse represents a challenge is wrong - but to do it to someone who's AFK that seems... just.
#1 Who is going to page on you, the AFK player?
#2 They deserve it and you just Pwned them 1v1 +monster help
#3 If you don't feel comfortable luring death on them, just Icq me and I will do it for you

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Oh, I feel comfortable about it... 1 or 2 Devourer of Souls would almost surely be enough.

I do occasionally see newbie types in there taking forever and a day to kill the Rotting Corpses that have the 5k HP. Just gotta make sure I don't bug them.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I just worry that players don't do enough to verify they're really AFK. Just because someone is in a spawn you want doesn't mean they're AFK or that they have to address you. I like to watch Netflix while I hunt and the chat in Classic isn't that great to follow. Not that this is ever me yet, but I just worry that people are too sensitive to it. I've had players lure on my Miner for just mining because they just assumed all miners were scripters.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, I feel comfortable about it... 1 or 2 Devourer of Souls would almost surely be enough.

I do occasionally see newbie types in there taking forever and a day to kill the Rotting Corpses that have the 5k HP. Just gotta make sure I don't bug them.
2 isn't enough to kill my sampire!!

@Lord Gareth

Be Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I just worry that players don't do enough to verify they're really AFK. Just because someone is in a spawn you want doesn't mean they're AFK or that they have to address you. I like to watch Netflix while I hunt and the chat in Classic isn't that great to follow. Not that this is ever me yet, but I just worry that people are too sensitive to it. I've had players lure on my Miner for just mining because they just assumed all miners were scripters.

Someone on Chesapeake has a character hidden in every fel town so they can win whatever by default if no one battles or anything... now the characters have to be doing something to remain logged in... So I revealed them... they are orange, I'm orange and they just stand there... I attack them and they admire the birds in the trees... I whack them with a splintering axe and they stand there enjoying the blood dripping down their body...

I'll always give them a chance before dropping down my Trammy RP Fury of Death upon them :)

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone on Chesapeake has a character hidden in every fel town so they can win whatever by default if no one battles or anything
This mechanic was removed. Hiding gives no points towards capturing a town any more. What they are doing is extending the timer to the full 20 minutes so their main can gain more points.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

its tram. you are luring on another player. if someone sees you doing it you will be the one banned.

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The obvious solution is to give all the monsters in doom 120 active detect hidden with no cooldown that they spam. Then if you still stay still and don't move you are teleported to the guardian room after 30 seconds. It worked wonders for Blackthorn's dungeon!

....no. My main is a thief, it's already a pain in the ass to get through dungeons with the automatic detect hidden crap going on now in the game (since we're worthless in PvP now too) and that would kill his ability to touch Doom. :/

georox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its tram. you are luring on another player. if someone sees you doing it you will be the one banned.
Only if they report it, and that's only if GM's were actually on the game. Odds are most players would go "Eh, it's a botter, let it die."

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another option would be to move to Siege Perilous. If you find a scripter...kill them or lure nasties to kill them for you...la

WhatNowAnotherNerf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Why cant people just do their thing without everyone wanting to tell them how to do it. For GOD's sake does it hurt you personally if they get some items? If you all feel so strongly about legislating the manner in which people act then run for public office. Oh and one last thing... before you get your panties in a bunch or get snarky as most of you tend to do. Please note I have not been to Doom nor do I care to go there. I will let you farmers sell me things.. Thanks and peace OUT.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Why cant people just do their thing without everyone wanting to tell them how to do it. For GOD's sake does it hurt you personally if they get some items?
If there is a script bot hogging the spot that has the best drops then I would have to go to a spot that has a slower drop rate which would cause me more pain in my hand and wrist.... so it does personally hurt me

If you all feel so strongly about legislating the manner in which people act then run for public office.
Hello my name is Lord Gareth and I am running for Governor of New Magincia

Oh and one last thing... before you get your panties in a bunch or get snarky as most of you tend to do. Please note I have not been to Doom nor do I care to go there. I will let you farmers sell me things.. Thanks and peace OUT.
You're Welcome and Chaos IN!

:)

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Why cant people just do their thing without everyone wanting to tell them how to do it. For GOD's sake does it hurt you personally if they get some items? If you all feel so strongly about legislating the manner in which people act then run for public office. Oh and one last thing... before you get your panties in a bunch or get snarky as most of you tend to do. Please note I have not been to Doom nor do I care to go there. I will let you farmers sell me things.. Thanks and peace OUT.
Why can't people just post from their normal account instead of making a new account when they want to do things like this? Can't have a controversial thread without someone making a new account to get all high and mighty. :facepalm:

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you all feel so strongly about legislating the manner in which people act then run for public office.
Hi, I'm the incumbent for Minoc Governor and will be running again in the next election. I feel that farming AFK is against the spirit of the game and these people should be removed without harming the current gameplay of those of us who want to play the game.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love when people use the "does it affect you personally" excuse in conversations like this.....does someone robbing a random store in real life affect you? No. Does that mean it's suddenly ok to rob stores or help people rob stores? Nope.

Flawed logic is the only logic for some people it seems.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i afk farm ... but im there.. meaning on down time i sometimes
leave a drag in places... minax or doom farming while i do dishes and watch tv... with a watchful eye on the screen in case i need to do something.

personally i don't feel its afk .. though i am.. even when im Right There.. im kinda afk.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i afk farm ... but im there.. meaning on down time i sometimes
leave a drag in places... minax or doom farming while i do dishes and watch tv... with a watchful eye on the screen in case i need to do something.

personally i don't feel its afk .. though i am.. even when im Right There.. im kinda afk.
Pretty sure most people would not consider that afk farming, and would have no problem with you doing that.

The people that most consider afk farmers and hate are the ones that leave their character in doom farming from when they go to sleep to when they get home from work the next day. They do it every day, for months at a time, and collect literally hundreds of millions worth of free stuff over the course of a few months in addition to ruining that hunt spot for everyone else until they leave, since their scripts kill things before anyone else can even target them.

Pretty good system they have when you think about it, get free stuff while not allowing anyone else to get the same stuff.

Tinky Feetz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

Seriously...what's the issue everyone seems to have against stealthers? Do you know what kind of impact this would have on my Ninjitsu skills. Sorry I don't play a Sampire like everyone else or a Tamer mage w/ a Greater Dragon.
Part of me hopes your quote is sarcasm.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The days of putting a nickel in the keyboard to continue working hiding while you eat dinner and come back to a 24 hour suspension are long gone :(..time to think of creative ways of stopping it..trying to command a greater dragon without jewls at 90 taming seems like a legitimate oopsy :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously...what's the issue everyone seems to have against stealthers? Do you know what kind of impact this would have on my Ninjitsu skills. Sorry I don't play a Sampire like everyone else or a Tamer mage w/ a Greater Dragon.
Part of me hopes your quote is sarcasm.
It's not sarcasm, it's exactly what they did to Blackthorne's Dungeon when people complained this way.

Tinky Feetz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It's not sarcasm, it's exactly what they did to Blackthorne's Dungeon when people complained this way.
I know, It's sad that I can no longer GM Herd Dragons, Hell hounds, and spiders to the afkers without instantly being revealed and slain.