• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Admins and Mods in Stratics...

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should not be allowed to have a friends list,or a viewable friends list,open to the general poster. This can look like favortism.If said friend of a mod/admin makes an offending post that gets reported,but not removed,it can cast doubt of the fairness of this forum.

Just my two cents.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure I can even remember who's on my 'friends' list without looking. Posts are judged on content, not poster name. Not all reported posts are actually in breach of the rules. Some people report posts for the strangest of reasons.
If you have a particular post in mind please pm me the details, I'll look into it.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are already ample doubts as to the fairness of moderation on the forums, primarily because (as you seem to imply) moderation should be done with neutrality, while most often people will report a post because of personal reasons; politics, friendship, enmity.

In the end, moderators are posters, too.
Although they put on a badge, it does not stop them having friends, or enemies, and it would seem a little unfair to remove forum functionality from them for the simple reason that they wanted to volunteer their time to help.

Although, that said, I do not really use it personally.
I won't deny a friend request without a good reason (I've just had that few requests:(), but I rely more on things like Skype, Facebook, Email and Steam to communicate with friends and colleagues.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Admins and moderators are bound by the rules of conduct, as are their friends.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Admins and moderators are bound by the rules of conduct, as are their friends.
*starts with last post-first*

I could copy/paste quotes from what a couple admins have said just recently(last couple of months) that completely contradicts what you have stated here.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More drama?

Sounds like someone is mad a mod chose to disagree with you one something...how dare they, we all know you can never be wrong. (sarcasm)

You know the proper channels to file a complaint against a mod, use it instead of creating thread full of pointless drama. We have enough of that as it is.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are already ample doubts as to the fairness of moderation on the forums, primarily because (as you seem to imply) moderation should be done with neutrality, while most often people will report a post because of personal reasons; politics, friendship, enmity.
Would you agree that a forum should show as much neutrality as possible?

In the end, moderators are posters, too.
Although they put on a badge, it does not stop them having friends, or enemies, and it would seem a little unfair to remove forum functionality from them for the simple reason that they wanted to volunteer their time to help.
I am not asking them to not have friends here. Far from it. I am just asking for the ones with the badges to call it down the middle,even if it may affect a poster on a mods friends list.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posts are judged on content, not poster name.
I....I honestly don't know what to say to this sentence....moving on.

If you have a particular post in mind please pm me the details, I'll look into it.
I have sent a couple or PM's to you about some forum rules in the past but have never gotten a response.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You think that no staff posts are removed? You think that nobody on an admin's friend list has been infracted or banned? If so, you'd be wrong.

I frequent more than a dozen forum communities on a daily basis. I have never encountered a rule like this. We're not going to implement one here.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know the proper channels to file a complaint against a mod, use it instead of creating thread full of pointless drama. We have enough of that as it is.
I'd rather have a frank discussion with the admins in public first before going to PM's.As for your comment about "drama". Is it drama to have an open discussion about what I personally see as unfairness? You decided to come in and read the thread I started,then you gripe about what I posted. Don't want to read my threads? Put me on ignore. I don't care.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You think that no staff posts are removed? You think that nobody on an admin's friend list has been infracted or banned? If so, you'd be wrong.
I can only know what has been posted by some mods and admins that are clearly saying they are above the rules that the rest of us must follow.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I can only know what has been posted by some mods and admins that are clearly saying they are above the rules that the rest of us must follow.
PM the links to Petra and/or Magdalene. They are were the buck stops on Stratics forums and will review the posts in question.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PM the links to Petra and/or Magdalene. They are were the buck stops on Stratics forums and will review the posts in question.
Here is one from one mod a few month ago. Here is the link for context.

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/234811-i-know-off-topic-but.html

*bumps* Yes, I can bump this. I would like to hear it too. Any of you feel left out? Tell us how you help your community.

A little off topic is not going to kill Uhall. Keep it to the point... Do you sing the national anthem? Do you coach a little league team?

Off topic threads are what they are. Not many survive Uhall. Staff do get pass on occasion.

Hell, I go OT all the time.

Ceasar... He is a long standing member of this forum. He is the care taker of a forum dear to many of us.

If this man wishes to go off topic... It is OK with me.

Just don't think the rest of you can... Yeah, Staff gets a pass. Don't like that? PM Crazy Joe...

*chuckles*
"Just don't think the rest of you can... Yeah, Staff gets a pass. Don't like that? PM Crazy Joe..."

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Posters get the exact same pass mentioned above. Observe Rule S:

S. Off Topic (OT) are not prohibited, but should be posted within reason.
An occasional off topic post is allowed for both staff and users. You may not like the way he phrased his response, but he was upholding the promulgated rules.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posters get the exact same pass mentioned above. Observe Rule S:

An occasional off topic post is allowed for both staff and users. You may not like the way he phrased his response, but he was upholding the promulgated rules.
I think we are reading two different posts.Because I just read this:

"Just don't think the rest of you can... Yeah, Staff gets a pass."

Did I misread that? Staff can. I can't. That's what I am reading.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I think we are reading two different posts.Because I just read this:

"Just don't think the rest of you can... Yeah, Staff gets a pass."

Did I misread that? Staff can. I can't. That's what I am reading.
It's called tongue-in-cheek. That's the whole point of Kelmo's response. Mods let users post occasional OT posts, but everyone jumps on them when they try to. No Stratics user has ever been warned or infracted for posting off topic threads. Mods cannot give arbitrary warnings or infractions, but are limited to a pre-populated list. This list includes no warning/infraction for off topic.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no recollection of pms not responded to, I usually reply to all, but if you don't get a response, please feel free to remind me about it. My memory is far from perfect and some days I can wake up to anything up to 15 pms. If I get a message in the middle of dealing with them it's possible that I may think I've replied when in fact I haven't.

On the other hand unjustifed post reports may sometimes be ignored if no actual rule breach is contained in the reported post.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Should not be allowed to have a friends list,or a viewable friends list,open to the general poster. This can look like favortism.If said friend of a mod/admin makes an offending post that gets reported,but not removed,it can cast doubt of the fairness of this forum.

Just my two cents.
Sargent of Arms?
:scholar: Point of Order !
FAQ

Per item:

I. Publicly discussing actions by the moderators is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: bans, warnings, locks, and moved threads. Any inquiries or comments on bans, warnings, or other moderator actions, are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.

Noted:
The "plaintiff" has already been availed of a reminder and specifics of the "Rules of the land"

Further notation:
The plantiffs complaint >should be< seen as a direct and most devious and violent "personal attack" (FAQ item C. )
In that: a specific position/request was made that
Should not be allowed to have a friends list,or a viewable friends list,open to the general poster.
And indeed ... should be treated as "Trolling" (FAQ item D.)

Rebuttal of plaintiffs "charges":

The plaintiffs basis for this harsh punishment / requirement is supposed to be to "prevent" doubt of the fairness of this forum.

Balderdash and illogical to boot ...
CONCEALING associations and casual acquaintances
is the root cause of most of the evil in this world ...

Fair? Fairness? BAH!
plaintiff has thus demonstrated >no conceptual grasp< of the word and/or its meaning
"Fair/ness" in its abstract essence and meaning is
FOLLOWING THE RULES ...

dum duh doh!

:scholar: Bailiff ? :rant2: Whack! the Plaintiff !!

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't begrudge the original concern, although as Fayled has pointed out, whatever favouritism is presumed to exist would still exist, just without the lantern of casual acknowledgement.
I do not feel it is fair, however, to use the RoC as a means to argue the original concern. A point, no matter how it is delivered, is still a point, and the manner of the delivery is mostly independent of it.
Can I call contempt of court? ;)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've never turned down a friend invitation. Perhaps try reaching out if you'd like to befriend a mod or admin.

T

Tazar

I have sent a couple or PM's to you about some forum rules in the past but have never gotten a response.
When sending Petra a PM, please make sure you send it to Petra Fyde. There is another Petra listed on the members list and I have made that mistake before.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I. Publicly discussing actions by the moderators is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: bans, warnings, locks, and moved threads. Any inquiries or comments on bans, warnings, or other moderator actions, are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.
@ Fayled.

I have not discussed any specific action made by an admin or mod in this thread. I have not trolled in this thread. Stating my opinion and point of view is not against the rules here.I purposely left my posts vague for such the rule that I have quoted above.The only reference I have made directed toward a Mod was to link what Kelmo said publicly.

And you questoning my logic and my "conceptual grasp" of what fairness is. Because you disagree with my point of view doesn't mean my logic fails or that I lack understanding.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never turned down a friend invitation. Perhaps try reaching out if you'd like to befriend a mod or admin.
There's an idea!

Hey Hunters' Moon, friend some mods! Then you can feel like the mods favor you :thumbup:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I consider Kiminality my friend. We've been Facebook friends, friends on Steam, talked in IRC for years, I have her on ICQ, and I'd probably try to get in her pants if I met her in person.

You know how many infractions I have from Kimi? Like a billion.

Hell, Syrus' wife is carrying my child and I'm sure he'd infract me in a heartbeat.

C

Capn Kranky

<laughs> Thank you ... I needed a chuckle and this is it!

@Hunters'Moon - seriously, the volunteer staffers don't play favorites.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I don't begrudge the original concern, although as Fayled has pointed out, whatever favouritism is presumed to exist would still exist, just without the lantern of casual acknowledgement.
I do not feel it is fair, however, to use the RoC as a means to argue the original concern. A point, no matter how it is delivered, is still a point, and the manner of the delivery is mostly independent of it.
Can I call contempt of court? ;)
Pfft!
You "may" call for a peripheral charge ... but you need to be specific
at least as specific as I ... for what aspect do you call the charge?
I merely presented My observation as to its clear violation ...
goes to process, which was obviously circumvented ...
Where then the "contempt?"

Clearly there is none ...
The Sargent at arms provided me cover, by the COMPLETE reading of the letter of the law
Specifically note:
A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.

This matter of "process" CLEARLY, in a prima facia manner, is exactly what was done by keeping the question in open forum.

My >agreement< with the law, and the execution of the process addressed, being timelined as
A question was raised (improper by the letter)
It was noted and posted in the fore going manner
I read it, understood(and agreed with) its direction
posted my observations
others also gained access to participation
and also agreed with the actions of "the court" and its process and conduct
*shrugs*
Ergo: NO contempt of court

*takes seat*

*aside to the gallery*
pssst! which one is the plaintiff? yeah! which moon? is hunter the brunette or the the redhead? yeah ... sailor IS the blonde ...
Ah! I see ...
*grins*

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You "may" call for a peripheral charge ... but you need to be specific
at least as specific as I ... for what aspect do you call the charge?
Since you are neither a part of the prosecution or defence, nor were you called up to testify.
In the courtroom theme you so appreciably brought to this thread, you would be held in contempt of court, or cautioned with such consequence :)

I should have a gavel, and a funky wig.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WELL YOU'VE ALREADY GOT THE FUNK LOLOLOLOL

(lololol)

(Get your finger off that button.)

F

Fayled Dhreams

Since you are neither a part of the prosecution or defence, nor were you called up to testify.
In the courtroom theme you so appreciably brought to this thread, you would be held in contempt of court, or cautioned with such consequence :)

I should have a gavel, and a funky wig.
You'd be a bit over dressed ... sitting there on your drumhead
with your funk, named: wig :talktothehand: I did not ask so you need not tell

and whom ARE the prosecution and defense?
ahhhh >none present<
ergo:
My having called for a Sargent at arms OBVIOUSLY indicates this Open Forum
is a form of a Deliberative assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not quite yet to the level of Grand jury, over which a Judge >may< preside
and NO defense is needed, not just yet, the >decision< to indict, must first pass
Then you'll need both Pros & Def.

Perhoips my use of the word plaintiff is what threw you aff
tiff - Wiktionary
Moon is merely a plain tiff
typing in, yet another, textual plaintive Wail
observe the original post in question
'twere no "suit", Nor COMplaint, nor pleading nor begging
just another common ...

Ba-ba-ba-Barbaran haller
(see what I did thar? haller, holler ... :lol: WHAT a howler ... )

besides, a friend of the court(amicus curiae), presenting a FAIR amicus brief >can never< be held in contempt ...

After second year law
I Raised the bar
so that the lessers couldn't get in t'it, ain't it? ... bermuda shakes :danceb: