• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Actually Using Necro/SS .... ?

G

So I was using my Sampire the tedious way up until recently. That is stoning Necro back and forth to recast vamp form after i die.

With the event starting up I decided to try what I had been considering for a while now, that is, stoning off Healing/Anatomy and running with Necro/SS. So far I must say I really like it.

With this set up I can cast curse weapon any time I want, which I have come to really enjoy. (I just carry about 50 pig iron on me at a time) And when I die, which hasn't been too often, I just run to the house put on a piece or two of LRC, and recast -- ALOT faster than the stoning method. lol.

Anyways I wanted to hear what others think of running the sampire this way, rather than the healing/anatomy way. What strategies you may use differently in battle, and more importantly, where should my skills/stats end up with this set up?

I

imported_silent

<blockquote><hr>

I just run to the house put on a piece or two of LRC, and recast -- ALOT faster than the stoning method. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could save you even more time, insure a piece or two of lrc so then you don't have to run to the house.

G

Somehow I knew out of my entire post that one thing would be commented on.

HahaHa... Thanks though..

I have obviously thought of that, I was just trying to save a little bit of insurance money.

C

Connor_Graham

"Anyways I wanted to hear what others think of running the sampire this way, rather than the healing/anatomy way."

IMO, with the high end creatures the Sampire is designed to go up against, the skill points could be much better used in boosting other skills to 120. Also, if you maintain the 35 Necro on your character without stoning it, you can recast Vamp form while in Doom.

"I just run to the house put on a piece or two of LRC,"

Try a pair of Arcane boots. My Sampire, and all of my casters all wear a pair in the event of death, and if I remember right, they can be blessed, so no insurance cost (will have to check on that but server is down so can't look now). My casters all wear them in case of death so they can invis immediately after either being rezzed, or using Sacrifice for the self rez. Cuts down on the rez kills.

S

slasherofveils

Unless they were changed at some point (I could very well be wrong), arcane clothing isn't blessable. definately can be insured though.

G

<blockquote><hr>

the skill points could be much better used in boosting other skills to 120. Also, if you maintain the 35 Necro on your character without stoning it, you can recast Vamp form while in Doom.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ... What about? ...

120 swords
120 parry
120 bushido
120 tactics (more damage, more leeches)
100 spirit speak (curse weapon duration/healing)
70 chivalry (can go higher depending on necro items)
65 necro (can cast wraith, curse, or be boosted to 99 without spending so much on items)

*I have skill cap of 715*

I

imported_Farsight

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

the skill points could be much better used in boosting other skills to 120. Also, if you maintain the 35 Necro on your character without stoning it, you can recast Vamp form while in Doom.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ... What about? ...

120 swords
120 parry
120 bushido
120 tactics (more damage, more leeches)
100 spirit speak (curse weapon duration/healing)
70 chivalry (can go higher depending on necro items)
65 necro (can cast wraith, curse, or be boosted to 99 without spending so much on items)

*I have skill cap of 715*

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very close to what I use. My tactics is only 100 and I have some focus on top of that. That will change soon thank to my finally breaking down and buying the mace and shield glasses. Now I can get out of my darkwood suit and into something where I have hit lower defense.

Anyway, the template is unbelievably powerful. The problem of less damage is more than balanced by the double leeches. You could either leech mana and hit points through wraith form, which is what I do in Doom, or you could leech double hit points through vampire form, which is great for soloing peerless or para balrons or other big, fast things that hit like a ton of bricks.

And to top it off, you also have the necromancy spells to fall back on. You could go to a champion spawn and spam wither in wraith form. You could cast strangle in order to get a few extra hits of damage in or interrupt your opponent. You could cast evil omen whenever you want or need it.

The down sides:
There are things you can't do, such as solo Travesty. There isn't many of those things.
It takes longer to kill things than the 120 tactics/anatomy template.
You can't heal your friends. I counter this by having my friends play their mages. Then they can kill things while I never heal myself.
You can't ressurect your friends. I actually carry a luna lance just so I have enough chivalry to ressurect. It adds to the insurance costs, but I rarely pay insurance out anyway.
You're a lot more mana dependant than other sampire templates. My answer to this is two words. Mana leech. I never leave home without it, except in Doom.

What would be interesting is an in depth comparison of the most commonly used templates, those being:
120 weapon
120 parry
120 bushi
120 tactics
120 anatomy (or resist)
35 necro
75 chivalry (plus or minus)

or

120 weapon
120 parry
120 bushi
100 tactics
90-100 healing
90-100 anatomy
35 necro
70-80 chiv

or (also known as whammy)

120 weapon
120 parry
120 bushi
100 tactics
100-120 spirit speak
65-85 necromancy (boosted by items later)
70-80 chivalry

I keep thinking that I'll do that or make a sampire FAQ/guide, but then I keep not having the time to do that and play the game.

G

.....i started playing this template a few years back, figured it out perfect.
120 swords
120 bushido
110 parry
100 necro
100 tactics
100 anatomy
70 chiv

can solo mostly anything with this template and the right gear. very easy to run if u know what u are doing. just carry around arcane boots for lrc, and get a new pair when they run out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

.....i started playing this template a few years back, figured it out perfect.
120 swords
120 bushido
110 parry
100 necro
100 tactics
100 anatomy
70 chiv

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm ... So why the full 100 Necro without any Spirit Speak to support it. And why 100 Anatomy without any Healing. I know this has to be for the extra damage output, but why do you find it to be more helpful than 100 Spirit Speak for curse weapon?

C

Connor_Graham

"carry around arcane boots for lrc, and get a new pair when they run out. "

Why get a new pair when they can be recharged? Even a character with 0 Tailoring can do a partial recharge on them.

G

I run with gm necro and ss... particularly like it for pvm, raisin dead can be very helpful if you are goin up against relatively high level beasties... a few extra lich lords or skeletal dragons make for great artillery. I also like using the dark wolf familiar to grab a bake kitsune for backup as well, if there is a mage along to provide a gate to our hunting destination.