• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Account Secret Question Unclear

Kyle_Broflovski

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay so here is my story, i have been emailing customer support and am getting nowhere, i have emailed mesanna and got nowhere as well and am still unclear as to whats going on

I have acquired 2 accounts from a friend that no longer plays, she took the time to contact support and gave them her secret question and got the accounts unlinked and gave me the usernames and passwords so i could link them to my account which i did. okay so now i am trying to get support to add a secret question of my choice to these 2 accounts but they are telling me i need her secret word to change it, and i havent seen her on in awhile not sure how to go about getting her secret word. if i left it as her secret word can she take the accounts back and gain access and change passwords and get items from my accounts if she wanted to be that kinda person or if anyone else knows her secret word gain access. Or do they need more info from the person besides the secret word, like credit card, billing name, social, phone and so on to gain access to unling/change password. noone can seem to answer those questions.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if i left it as her secret word can she take the accounts back and gain access and change passwords and get items from my accounts if she wanted to be that kinda person or if anyone else knows her secret word gain access.
Yes.

Kyle_Broflovski

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what your saying is i have to ask her for her secret word to get it changed to a secret word of my choosing

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So what your saying is i have to ask her for her secret word to get it changed to a secret word of my choosing
That is correct.

For some reason the customer service people treat the secret word like undeniable proof the person owns the account, which is dumb since people sell their accounts all the time.

If you don't get the secret word changed all the original owner has to do is call customer service, tell them the secret word, and within an hour the account will be given back to them even if you have owned it for years. Many people have been scammed like that in the past.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That is correct.

For some reason the customer service people treat the secret word like undeniable proof the person owns the account, which is dumb since people sell their accounts all the time.

If you don't get the secret word changed all the original owner has to do is call customer service, tell them the secret word, and within an hour the account will be given back to them even if you have owned it for years. Many people have been scammed like that in the past.
There could be FAR better ways to link your account to you.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay so here is my story, i have been emailing customer support and am getting nowhere, i have emailed mesanna and got nowhere as well and am still unclear as to whats going on

I have acquired 2 accounts from a friend that no longer plays, she took the time to contact support and gave them her secret question and got the accounts unlinked and gave me the usernames and passwords so i could link them to my account which i did. okay so now i am trying to get support to add a secret question of my choice to these 2 accounts but they are telling me i need her secret word to change it, and i havent seen her on in awhile not sure how to go about getting her secret word. if i left it as her secret word can she take the accounts back and gain access and change passwords and get items from my accounts if she wanted to be that kinda person or if anyone else knows her secret word gain access. Or do they need more info from the person besides the secret word, like credit card, billing name, social, phone and so on to gain access to unling/change password. noone can seem to answer those questions.
You linked her accounts to your main account so your email and your secret question, and answer is all you need. Just make sure that all the game accounts are cleared of her info.

Kyle_Broflovski

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah i cleared out her info and added mine, she does not know the email to which the accounts are linked to, but im assuming with secret word she can change password and log in correct? she just cant unlink them from my email since she doesnt know what that is correct? and thanks everyone for the info you have been more help then support or mesanna has been

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah i cleared out her info and added mine, she does not know the email to which the accounts are linked to, but im assuming with secret word she can change password and log in correct? she just cant unlink them from my email since she doesnt know what that is correct? and thanks everyone for the info you have been more help then support or mesanna has been
no she can't because her secret word is no longer good for those accounts. You did change the passwords to the games to where she can no longer log on or off ?

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do we even set up a secret word? I haven't done that on any of my 14 accounts.

Kyle_Broflovski

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes i have changed the passwords to something that i use, im just trying to set a new secret question to the accounts and they keep telling me there is a secret question associated with it which i do not know since i never set it up with those accounts after i linked them to my email so i would assume its her secret question which they are asking for.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do we even set up a secret word? I haven't done that on any of my 14 accounts.
When you create / link an account there is the option to choose a secret word. You have to choose one of the pre-set questions and then pick an answer. I have no idea what mine is either!!

Xug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I had the same issue when trying to recover my account. It was somehow unlinked from my account and when I gave them my secret password I was told I was incorrect even though I forwarded on the conversation from a previous customer service encounter in which I was asked my secret question answer, I gave the appropriate answer, and the issue was resolved. I am at a loss for how terrible the experience is with customer service and I still have not regained access to my account. I even emailed Mesanna and no luck. So here I sit hoping one day customer service responds to help me play UO again

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was asked my secret question answer, I gave the appropriate answer, and the issue was resolved.
So they ask you the question? Its not just a random word? If its something like mothers maiden name I will be OK.

I can't remember picking one or setting it up as it was years ago and thankfully I have never needed it.

Xug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They gave me a "hint". Like I said tho I forwarded on the exact conversation with them (although one would think they keep logs of conversations) and they still told me I wasn't giving the correct answer the second time.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you create / link an account there is the option to choose a secret word. You have to choose one of the pre-set questions and then pick an answer. I have no idea what mine is either!!

That screen was not there when we first made our master accounts. It was only the top half in the beginning.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran

YOU WRONG!!!!!!!

I deal with accounts every week and people make a HUGE mistake in thinking that the secret question on ORIGIN.com is the same as the eamythic and IT IS NOT!!!!!

That is the most important thing that you must do, if you get a new or old account, no matter how, (lets not get in trouble with stratics).
You must change the previous secret question on the eamythic account. and yes the previous owner MUST give you that info or the acc is worthless.

Mesanna and CS clear said: WHOEVER OWNS THE SECRET QUESTION ON THE ACCOUNT, OWNS THE ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!

So if you "acquire" a new account, you must email support AFTER you link the account to the new email and ask them to change the "master" secret question.
They will ask for the previous question, which normally is Mothers Maiden Name, Pets name or place of Birth, and You MUST have the previous answer, will also help you a lot, if you can give the same Ticket Number that was used to unlink the account, in 1st place!!.

I've been helping a lot of people past couple months on understanding this and how their system work!!

Feel free to PM me

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I didn't either after several years away, but I was playing email tag to reactivate, I think because my account was unlinked? I forget why, but anyway. I had set up a secret word way back when & didn't remember what it was, but gave plenty of account history to prove that it was my account. I asked & they told me the question(s). Granted, that's for a single account that has NEVER (and never will) change ownership. If I had to enter the secret word now, I wouldn't have a clue.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't remember being asked to choose a secret word. Do they just ask what the secret word is? Or do they ask the question and you have to answer? I hope they never have to ask me, I will likely get it wrong....:(