• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

About those flying gargoyles . . .

• Thread starter Ozymandies
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
O

Ozymandies

May as well start a thread on how to balance this. Maybe use mana and/or stamina while flying? Anything else?

OZ

A

~Antzy~Pantz~

Why sit and ponder how they should/shouldn't work, just wait till they give us more info then we will know for sure!

C

Connor_Graham

Do you use mana while riding a horse? Or any mount for that matter? I don't recall ever dropping in stamina while riding any mount either.

Why should it be different for Gargoyles?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Do you use mana while riding a horse? Or any mount for that matter? I don't recall ever dropping in stamina while riding any mount either.

Why should it be different for Gargoyles?
I lose Stamina while riding if I run the entire time...I lose stamina while stealthing constantly..

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know why everyone is going a little crazy about this. It is probably going to work exactly like Ninjitsu animal forms.

C

Connor_Graham

I lose Stamina while riding if I run the entire time...I lose stamina while stealthing constantly..
I've never lost stamina while stealthing either. Never while running on any character on any kind of mount.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
May as well start a thread on how to balance this. Maybe use mana and/or stamina while flying? Anything else?

OZ
It isn't just Fly or walk they said there will be a delay for a Gargoyle to go into "Fly" mode similar to mounting an ethy. Also Bola's and Dismount attacks will work on Flying Gargoyles firmly putting their feet back on the ground until the Dismount timer is up. Also note that Gargoyles won't be able to make use of traditional mounts, and I'd assume this means ethies also....So really they are at a small disadvantage.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So long as they remember the lessons learned from the Nightmares.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking shotgun... or more medieval - mobile cannons. Alternatively I'd suggest unleashing a dragon and yelling "out-fly this!"

I would imagine that flying should use up stamina and require plenty of strength, but that's from a logical perspective. If they can't ride a mount, I suppose it would be unfair to expect them to take harsher penalties for flying. I just hope there aren't targeting problems with line of sight as they fly. It could make them excellent at fighting tamer's pets up close though, as some pets can't cope with a flying target.

Wenchy

L

love2winalot

I am more interested in their weakness. What happens if every player in the game main charater now becomes a gargoyle? Along that same line, should they, or should they not, be able to use soulstones? Do we, or do we not want 7xgm Gargoyles on day 1 of launch, or do we want to make them earn their skills from scratch?

C

Connor_Graham

How and why would you limit soulstones depending on race?

Why would it matter in the least if someone had enough skills on stones to transfer to a new character to have it "compelete"? It doesn't matter now with humans or elves, why should Gargoyles be any different?

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I would assume that flying would be identical to riding - stamina use same as riding has (or the same as the mount has). I would assume some str requirement - maybe 50 - as I am sure baby gargoyles dont come out flying, so to speak ;)

I also think that stealthing while flying should be a no-go. I can't stealth with a horse, even an ethreal one, so why should someone stealth while flying? (tbh, I dont think wolf form or any other form that give mounted speed should be stealth-able either. And yes, I do have a stealther - faction thief)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a penalty to HCI while flying?
Will it be possible to cast spells while flying?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I could see limiting soulstone usage by a gargoyle with the same timer as house placement for the character. That way, the player has had the time to "learn the ropes" as a gargoyle. They are going to be much more different from human, than elves ever were.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main problem soulstones create with new races is that only those who play the soulstone route get to experience that initial rush to the new content in the opening days/weeks. Then again, if it wasn't soulstones it would be scripted/powergamed skills ... so soulstones are likely the lesser of two evils.

U

uoBuoY

By the time SA comes out, I don't think you'll see many gargoyles flying. Maybe only the rich ones. Imagine how expensive jet fuel will be by then!

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hope that the Dev's don't make them look like the polymorph gargoyles which fly with their noses scraping on the ground.

O

Ozymandies

I thought they said gargoyles were walk/fly with no mounts. This would lead me to think you could use specials and spells while flying, so it would not be like ninja forms.

OZ

L

love2winalot

If i am flying, then that means, non spell casting monsters, or non archer monsters, should not be able to attack me. Otherwise, what is the point of flying. Also, can they fly ontop of things that you currently can not teleport ontop of? Pile of rocks as an example.