• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

About Sovereigns

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
So this robe fiasco got me looking at sovereigns. So why is it cheaper to buy 1000 sovereigns 5 times than 5000 once? Isn't it suppose to be cheaper to buy in quantity? Typical Broadsword lol. I'm sure it's been noted before but I've been up at the cottage most of the summer and totally outta the loop :p Still trying to figure out what the new stuff is I've been missing. Guess i need to make some new candy cards and such....

Anyway... I guess my point is I might take 5000 if the price was right, but since it's cheaper to buy 1000 at a time why bother? Stupid stuff like this drives me crazy lol

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This one left many of us scratching our heads.

Their marketing strategy could use a little work.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I know lol. It's really the idea of the thing. You'd think it would be like $44.99 for 5000. It just takes away any incentive to spend more. You'd think they would be shooting for that. It's smarter to actually spend less and just get exactly what you need than it is to over spend and stock up.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know lol. It's really the idea of the thing. You'd think it would be like $44.99 for 5000. It just takes away any incentive to spend more. You'd think they would be shooting for that. It's smarter to actually spend less and just get exactly what you need than it is to over spend and stock up.
So $0.04 or do 5 separate orders because I did not see where I could get more than 1 at a time and if you look I think the 500 Sov would be like 9 cents. If I want 5000 I will gladly spend the 4 cents to get it at one time.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So $0.04 or do 5 separate orders because I did not see where I could get more than 1 at a time and if you look I think the 500 Sov would be like 9 cents. If I want 5000 I will gladly spend the 4 cents to get it at one time.
me too...not fussed about the .04 cents in my pocket...whats the fuss about....jesus...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
me too...not fussed about the .04 cents in my pocket...whats the fuss about....jesus...
It's not the 4 cents people care about, it's the complete lack of understanding of basic communication and business skills that UO shows time and time again. Most of us want UO to succeed, because we like the game and want it to do well to attract more players so we aren't all alone on tiny shards like so many people are these days. Every time something like this happens it's just another reason for people to say "why do I bother trying to improve the game and help people, when the actual game doesn't even try to help itself". It's like trying to help your neighbor in real life with their housework, and then realizing they just sit inside watching TV all day while you do their chores for them.

Why is it that 100% of the marketing in this game falls to the players to spread news by word of mouth?

Why is it that 95% of teaching new players how to play the game has to be done by other players through things like UOguide, Stratics, new player guilds, volunteers who became Advisors etc.?

Why is it that 90% of the rule enforcement in this game has to be done by the players themselves like reporting scripters, dupers, and those who use cheats?

Why is it that 75% of the new content in this game is created by players? (Player events, EM events etc.) I consider EM's players still since they weren't paid until a year or two ago.

It all just wears people down after a while, that for all intents and purpose we the players are the ones keeping the game going instead of the company whose job is to do all of the above mentioned things.

Does Walmart ask customers to stock their shelves for them?.......

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
See, that is the issue though. Why do people have to do 5 separate orders?

It's been that way for so long that people just accept it as normal now. It is not normal to only be able to buy one thing at a time from an online store, and is just wrong for people to be forced to pay extra just to avoid the hassle of dealing with a ridiculously broken one order per customer system. It's the principle of it, even though it's only 4 cents.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
All this pancakes and moaning over $0.04? Sheesh ... ashats do vex us. :rolleyes:
So your ok with something being a little stupid for no reason? lol Hardly a major deal, just mentioning a little stupid is going on here. It's clearly not the price at all. It's a person looks at it (ok an intelligent person) and says "Hey, that's stupid!". It's just not the impression "professionals" should try to convey. It says EA and BS are just a little stupid. We get enough of that now lol. I didn't even see it as pancakes, just a "Hey look, another stupid thing" to laugh about. If it were 4 cents cheaper to buy in quantity at least you could give them the nod of understanding the concept of business. Uriah Heep is bright and caught it right away, "Hey look, that's dumb, it's funny". He got the point of the post. But it does speak to a larger problem there's a whole bunch of people running this game at various companies that either aren't very bright or just don't give a rat's ass about trying to be professionals about how they do their job. They need to *THINK*. It's just makes EA/BS look dumb again, we really don't need that.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It's been that way for so long that people just accept it as normal now. It is not normal to only be able to buy one thing at a time from an online store, and is just wrong for people to be forced to pay extra just to avoid the hassle of dealing with a ridiculously broken one order per customer system. It's the principle of it, even though it's only 4 cents.
CC theft, limiting their loses.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So your ok with something being a little stupid for no reason? lol Hardly a major deal, just mentioning a little stupid is going on here. It's clearly not the price at all. It's a person looks at it (ok an intelligent person) and says "Hey, that's stupid!". It's just not the impression "professionals" should try to convey. It says EA and BS are just a little stupid. We get enough of that now lol. I didn't even see it as pancakes, just a "Hey look, another stupid thing" to laugh about. If it were 4 cents cheaper to buy in quantity at least you could give them the nod of understanding the concept of business. Uriah Heep is bright and caught it right away, "Hey look, that's dumb, it's funny". He got the point of the post. But it does speak to a larger problem there's a whole bunch of people running this game at various companies that either aren't very bright or just don't give a rat's ass about trying to be professionals about how they do their job. They need to *THINK*. It's just makes EA/BS look dumb again, we really don't need that.
Are they stupid? UO population is not that large and if you want the Sovs your gonna pay the extra $0.04 so it just may be a really smart idea from EA doing it this way.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know, it's not just them.

EVERY time I go grocery shopping, I run into situations were there are some products that are cheaper individually (or in smaller packages) in groups, than bundled together - and others that are cheaper in a larger container. Hell, the local Little Ceasar's has a combo that is an even dollar amount, but the individual items all end in x.99, so that the combo is 2 cents more. People not thinking prices through is pretty universal.

Reminds me of the time my classically stereotypical blonde first ex-sister-in-law got into an argument with my mother, because she INSISTED that the 2 lb jar of Miracle whip for $5 was a better deal than two 1 lb. jars for $1.50 each (this was in the early 90s).

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is why stores keep their bulk item isle separate from the reg items. The one I always liked is the shopper that will leave a store to drive across town to save 5 cents on an item that is sitting right there on the shelf.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Reminds me of the time my classically stereotypical blonde first ex-sister-in-law got into an argument with my mother, because she INSISTED that the 2 lb jar of Miracle whip for $5 was a better deal than two 1 lb. jars for $1.50 each (this was in the early 90s).
This happens and is amusing. There are those who are on the lower half of the intelligence curve and those whose strong points are not math in the extreme. Think of people you've met over the years and their strong and weak points. I was diagnosed as borderline autistic as a child. I could usually ace any mechanical, and most electronic tests given but my social skills suck. Competent as hell on the job but clueless on the social scene. The hand God dealt me.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
In Denmark it's really bad. :eek2:
Sovereigns.jpg
S5000 10x49,00=DKK490,00 = $74,58
S5000 5x79.00=DKK395,00 = $60,12
S5000 2x149,00 + 1x79,00=DKK377,00 = $57,38
S5000 1x399,00=DKK399,00 = $60,73

DKK22,00 = $3,35

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My favorite was when driving to Houston one day, and a farmer was selling watermelons out of the back of his truck on the roadside. Had a large plywood sign up, $1.50 each, or 3/$5.00.

I have always wished I had stopped and asked how many 3 packs he sold lol.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Like I've said before, I have never seen a game that didn't have a sliding price scale based on how much you buy. UO even does it with game time. If you could buy more than one item at a time (so dumb) then the multiple amounts would be redundant because the price is the same for 1000 as it is for 50000. Don't get it.

I mean I don't really plan to buy things from the shop that often, but I would probably buy more sovereigns at a time because I would get them cheaper and figure I'll use them eventually. As it is there is zero reason for me to buy more than what I need right now.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It is quite weird here in Brazil:
upload_2016-8-20_17-30-28.png

500 = 14.90 BRL ~= 4.50 USD
1,000 = 39.90 BRL ~= 12.10 USD
2,000 = 79.90 BRL ~= 24.30 USD
5000 = 169.90 BRL ~= 51.50 USD

It is cheaper to buy a 5K pack than 5 1K packs, but it is much cheaper to buy 10 500 sovereigns pack (45 USD) than to buy a 5K pack (51.50 USD).

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It is quite weird here in Brazil:
View attachment 52113

500 = 14.90 BRL ~= 4.50 USD
1,000 = 39.90 BRL ~= 12.10 USD
2,000 = 79.90 BRL ~= 24.30 USD
5000 = 169.90 BRL ~= 51.50 USD

It is cheaper to buy a 5K pack than 5 1K packs, but it is much cheaper to buy 10 500 sovereigns pack (45 USD) than to buy a 5K pack (51.50 USD).
They messed up the pictures too somehow.... why is the 500 pack just randomly thrown between 2,000 and 5,000 when the rest increase in value from left to right? Seems like the 500 should be at the beginning not the middle....

Veldrane

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They messed up the pictures too somehow.... why is the 500 pack just randomly thrown between 2,000 and 5,000 when the rest increase in value from left to right? Seems like the 500 should be at the beginning not the middle....
That or it's a symptom of their ecom package not doing a good job of sorting. You'll see it every now and then on bad platforms where it will sort as 1, 10, 11, 12 ... 2, 20, 21 and so on.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seroiusly we talking pennies and cents.. some of u rich boys/girls are throwing real money at this game by the $100s of not $1000s,,, and a certain few players [tips the red wine] buy accounts by the bucket full in real cash then liquidate in uo gold.......lets get real and stop this ********!! yes lerts top this ********....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
seroiusly we talking pennies and cents.. some of u rich boys/girls are throwing real money at this game by the $100s of not $1000s,,, and a certain few players [tips the red wine] buy accounts by the bucket full in real cash then liquidate in uo gold.......lets get real and stop this ********!! yes lerts top this ********....
Actually, depending on the country being purchased from, it's significantly more than "pennies and cents".

The Danish example above amounts to about $6.50 US difference for the two 5000 sovereign examples, which is about a 14-15% difference.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, depending on the country being purchased from, it's significantly more than "pennies and cents".

The Danish example above amounts to about $6.50 US difference for the two 5000 sovereign examples, which is about a 14-15% difference.
in comparrisonn ... its pein comparrison its pennies and cents..... whats the goings rate 12$ A 100... JUST SAYING

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LESS??? u tel me ... lots if you throw mountains of real cash at this game... iam not surprized there is unrest

and i mean mountains.... whatever... its your boat u float it!!