• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

About Gargoyle Race!!

X

Xin Law

I got some questions about the abilities:

Flying - A Gargoyle's powerful wings carry them over land as fast as a galloping horse and grant them access to special Gargoyle-only areas.

**Will Flying have a time limit on usage or are you flying 24/7?

**If so will bolas or dismount special be able to knock there speed down to walking pace, or is Gargolyes going to have the luxuary of never having to worry about.

**Will tamers be allowed to be Gargolyes? If so then what is going to be done, to prevent them from running around with the speed of riding a mount, while controling a 'Greater Dragon', throwing bolas at other players that are actually riding a mount to mow them down like lambs to a slaughter.

**What about dismount specials, bolas and riding swipe, all requiring you to be on foot in order to dismount others? Will they be un-useable to gargoyles, or will anyone that isnt a gargoyle be completely screwed over and powerless in this regard?

**Will archers/ninjas be able to use 'Double Shot' special with the Yumi Bow, since gargoyles are technically not on a mount?

** Will stealthers be able to become gargoyles, because this would mean they can stealth, move at mounted speed without having to polymorph into an animal?

** Since your flying around, will this mean that traps in dungeons or faction stongholds not be triggered?

** Will you be able to fly over houses, over mountains, ravines, rivers, oceans and all the other terrain features that we currently can not move past?

** Will gargoyles suffer a penality to their Hit Chance when they are flying, because if your bobbing up and down your accuracy should be affected?

** Will you be able to fly onto boats or into faction restricted zones? Or even the crossing over from doom to the doom guantlet?

Berserk - In situations of great danger, a Gargoyle's natural ferocity will take over, granting speed and power at the cost of defenses.

** Please dont let this give players a way to do 40-50 damage hits when stacked with the Damage increase from lumberjacking, 120 tactic, 120 anat, 100% Damage increase, hit spell effect damage, and immolating weapon spell. Keep in mind that doubles to 80-100 if double strike weapon special is used, and prolly 60-70 with concussion blow.

Master Artisan - A strong cultural emphasis on art and craftsmanship grants the Gargoyles an increased chance to imbue, enhance, and unravel magical items.

Deadly Aim - All Gargoyles are trained from childhood in the skill of Throwing, giving them a basic competence with missile weapons.

** This mean Gargoyles will be able to shoot arrows/bolts, shurikens/blowdarts, plus the new throwing weapons without having to devote any skill points to accomplish this?

In my opinion, i think all this is a bit much. I love most of the changes, will make UO interesting again, well at least for a while. But as far as I can tell, only a complete idiot not want to change over to Gargoyle Race. The abilities are simply to much to pass up, if you combined all the abilities of elves and humans, it would still fall a little short in comparrision to gargoyles. So maybe some 'draw backs' should be considered to be put in, nothing drastic but just enough to make it so human and elf races become instinct.

**Oh yeah, for the love of god please do NOT put this expansion out until it is 99% done, working, and not on life-support. No half-arsing, no rushing, take your time and do it right the first time. Because if the expansion comes out, us players play it for a few months, spending ungodly amounts of time, training skills, adjusting templates, adjusting armor and weapons, collect newer better weapons, or create newer better weapons, to have the entire expansion flipped over and completely changed because you all got carried away and didnt think about the implicaitons and problems with the features from the expansion. Seriously, it pisses me off to know end, luckily you all keep your location 'off the grid' because everytime you all revert, nerf, flip, destroy features or additions from an expansion I want to go down there and vent in person, and face to face (note: I am not a ******** piece of ****, so dont think I would resort to voilence to vent, I will prolly use almost every curse word in the english language, hell even some korean and spainsh bad words but thats it. To inflict pain onto others just because you dont get things your way isn't just childish its a pathetic way to deal with things.)

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since 99.99% of your questions relate to the "flying ability". It acts exactly as an ethereal mount. There is no difference.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would like to see the flyboys augmented by a wingless gargoyle choice.

Its Ultima Lore, and we're puttin' the U back in UO.

S

Sarphus

Since 99.99% of your questions relate to the "flying ability". It acts exactly as an ethereal mount. There is no difference.
I know the usage of it is the same. Has it been confirmed that it will take a control slot too? That was something I wanted to know about. I think it should btw.

The only thing you gain by flying that you don't gain from an ethy is that you can go to some places in SA that are designed to be gargoyle only.

I'm actually more concerned about the berzerk ability than the flying one. Specifically, I'm concerned with how the mysticism spell Stone Form will interact with the gargoyle berzerk ability.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no. it's bad for your health.
Thats a damn public good service announcement is what that is.

Watch more Monte Python, the correct reply is

Sir Lancelot:"No, its too perilous"

Sir Galahad:"I bet you're gay!"

Sir Lancelot:"No, I'm not."

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The statement "I'm a gargoyle/ninja/tamer/archer" is enough for me to know it's time to quit this ridiculous game.

D

D'Amavir

The statement "I'm a gargoyle/ninja/tamer/archer" is enough for me to know it's time to quit this ridiculous game.
I feel ya on that one. I know I am in the minority with this but it makes my little belly ache when I see Ninja/Samurai templates (wha?) and Chivalry/Necro templates (the Honorable Knight that summons undead and communes with evil spirits, ya).

I love the open template concept of UO a lot. But I still think there should be SOME rules. Mixing skills that clearly contradict each other should be a no no.

On topic, I think that the garg flight should definitely take a control slot. This would help at least with the tamer issue if nothing else.

S

Sarphus

Exactly why flying needs to take a control slot. Ninja forms should too...

X

Xin Law

You know, now that I have had more time to let all this info about the expansion sink in alot more, I am extremely glad that I didnt 'jump the gun' and reactivate my accounts to see if the 'New' dev team can actually increase the playablity of UO, instead of downhill destination UO has turned into.

So, thanks for giving out the information on the new race, skills, spells, and features, before the expansion is even available, must less complete. Good thing I didnt reactive accounts or pre-order expansion, because I would be seriously pissed off for wasting money on a game that is being changed in a manner that will produce 'ALOT' of pissed off customers.

Oh well, time to move on, but hey Ultima Online had a good run. No other game has ever kept popularity and active players for such a long period of time, but soon WOW, EVE, and all the other online games have already surpased that milestone. However one aspect that no other game could ever hope to beat UO in is, the standard for "What online game pisses off the most customers, ever" (Some customers with over 10 years of dedication).

**Note: I that last sentence wasnt a joke, I was dead serious about it.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, no, not quite. I'm sorry if that's the impression given the lack of information. Flying certainly *moves* at the speed of a mount, but it is actually meant to be *Flying* :)

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For flying you can only take off and land on designated landing pads. There will be craftable landing pads though for you to place in your house. It's on thier website...

S

sapphirediablo11

Well, no, not quite. I'm sorry if that's the impression given the lack of information. Flying certainly *moves* at the speed of a mount, but it is actually meant to be *Flying* :)
does that mean gargs will be like the good old fasioned Nightmares that could run though buildings and over water or no??