• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

About Council Election

• Thread starter Pandora of Baja
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
P

Pandora of Baja

When I first became aware of the Council Elections I thought it would be fun, but what i've seen so far is alot of petty BS! Baja used to be a nice place to log into and relax and enjoy the people, hunt, and have fun. When I get on now all i've heard is how this one shouldn't vote for that one and so on. Council Elections have made the shard Split and turn against each other. VERY SAD!!!!!!!!

L

Lindae

(Pandora, the pettiness is an RP thing. It's an election, so we're roleplaying the shameless self-promoting and political squabbling that happens before a real election.

We don't actually hate each other, and you are welcome to vote or not vote as you choose.

On behalf of the RP community, I apologise for making you feel uncomfortable. Please understand that it is all in good fun and there is no seriousness to it.)

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lindae, Pandora is my bestest in game friend, so let me try to explain what I think she meant. She has not problem with you or your rp (in fact I cant think of single person who does!) Its great! Honestly

The problem is, there are those of us who are more "casual" and really only want to have fun. Some choose to take things father than she would like. (and I have no problems with the rp thing I made an entire thread mocking all candidates, myself included)

It's all about fun. In fact Handalf and I both strongly considering withdrawing when that fact seemed lost. However, since I don't even pretend to decide what others feel is "fun" I decided you don't like me don't vote for me. But don't assume everyone thinks like you do, or even should (that goes to all candidates, and hell all of Baja)

Some candidates were in this only for fun and were repeatedly openly mocked as being "buffoons" "not serious enough" and told to "step aside"

This is the last I will speak of this campaign as I am already starting to regret even being involved :rant2:

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pandora, and All who Live on or Visit Baja,

I also think you may be misinterpreting "real" divisions where they are truly and ONLY role played divisions or differences.

Clearly many folks have approached these "elections" in many differing ways. Many have ignored them. Others made fun of the idea, or satirized the idea, while others saw them as a unique opportunity to both unify Baja and give Player Characters unprecedented access to at least In Game EA Staff, and possibly and hopefully to Mesanna and the Dev Team.

Our Virtual World has folks who sometimes agree and sometimes strongly disagree on many topics. However, I believe and trust that most of our Players come to Baja for fun and enjoyment.

Admittedly, some come for other reasons, be they intrinsic profit or gain, or merely to bully, intimidate, grief and otherwise mess with others folks enjoyment.

Like any Community our challenge as Players, and for the EA Staff, is how best to accommodate the most folks while driving away the fewest possible.

Cheer Up, Pandora. While some may disagree, most come for positive, good, reasons. Play On and I think you will see both in and out of character that we unite eventually for the greater good of ALL!

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm all for petty BS anyways.

I really haven't seen a problem, to be honest. The election process has been more dignified and dare I say, interesting, than some of the last few actual presidential elections. Let's not even get started on senatorial races.

We play UO to experience a world outside our own. I don't think anyone in the PvP community actually shoots fireballs from their fingertips. The elections on Baja have mirrored some aspects of actual elections but it's not hard to look past that and see that it's been done for the right sort of reasons; to be a part of a fantastical world where magical things might happen but no one is actually going to suffer any kind of actual loss.

At the end of this race, we're going to have a High Council and we'll have learned from our mistakes for the next election process. Hopefully, we'll cut down on hurt feelings next time around as well. And don't forget there are some of us who actually prefer their candidates to have a bit of gravitas to their decision making.

V

Valek Typhoon

(Pandora, the pettiness is an RP thing. It's an election, so we're roleplaying the shameless self-promoting and political squabbling that happens before a real election.

We don't actually hate each other, and you are welcome to vote or not vote as you choose.

On behalf of the RP community, I apologise for making you feel uncomfortable. Please understand that it is all in good fun and there is no seriousness to it.)

The man's just upset over nearly being beheaded ... don't let him discourage you from voting for Magincia Independence!

[Nah on an OOC note like they mentioned previously ... all RP - if we didn't like one another we wouldn't go to the trouble to dragging each other on suicide hunts against five Yamadon Guardians!]

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
[Nah on an OOC note like they mentioned previously ... all RP - if we didn't like one another we wouldn't go to the trouble to dragging each other on suicide hunts against five Yamadon Guardians!]

That's not entirely true Valek. Just last night Proserpina and I were told by a candidate that EA needs a new shard just for "children and clowns" like us. I don't care, not trying to cause any disunion, but obviously statements like that made in chat "cheapen" the election and RP as a whole. Neither of us were insulting anyone, simply having fun.

Don't get me wrong I am certainly not faulting this candidate for his opinion, and I'm fairly certain it is shared by others. But others do not openly assert their opinion in chat at every given opportunity (and lets face I give plenty)

S

Silverbrook

That's not entirely true Valek. Just last night Proserpina and I were told by a candidate that EA needs a new shard just for "children and clowns" like us. I don't care, not trying to cause any disunion, but obviously statements like that made in chat "cheapen" the election and RP as a whole. Neither of us were insulting anyone, simply having fun.
(Please count me as someone who enjoys a variety of all points of view. I am sorry if anyone else been seemingly dismissive.

I hope that all parties can remember that everyone here has the same purpose: to have fun and enjoy yourself. )

L

LynneOfMagincia

Don't get me wrong I am certainly not faulting this candidate for his opinion, and I'm fairly certain it is shared by others. But others do not openly assert their opinion in chat at every given opportunity (and lets face I give plenty)
To be honest that is when I believe certain people need to step away from the computer. If you are going to get upset.. remember its a game. Additionally, its a game we *All* pay for. So while that particular candidate has a right to his opinion, as long as the rest of us aren't being vulgar and extremely offensive, than so do we. If one has to look at uo the same way they do their own lives, then that in itself says something to me. Ie: that they really need to get out more.

Case in point so that no one can say I'm flaming. If I get upset at a comment someone makes in game.. (and it happens).. then I turn it off and walk away for a little while.

And on the candidate issue. One came up last night: Our silver steed on Baja. I know of at least 4 candidates who were on and openly chatting. Only two of whom stepped up to actually assist. The other two did nothing and ignored the goings on that happen EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY. This is not news. If we are going to better our shard by discussing real issues would this not be one of them? I hardly think the zoo on a shard with so many open tamers.. qualifies as childish or clowning.

L

Lindae

(Sluggy, I am so sorry that happened to you! Also sorry about my first comment, it was both incorrect and, in hindsight, condescending.

Your and Handalf's antics are consistently the best and funniest thing about this election. [Well, okay, second-funniest. My heart will always belong to Fern.] That comment you received was way out of line and I want you to know that it is not at all what the other RPers think of you.

I understand if you want to let the matter rest, but please feel free to PM me with who it was that has been mistreating you. What they're doing is totally against the spirit of both the event and the shard, and I will withdraw my support for them.)

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your and Handalf's antics are consistently the best and funniest thing about this election. [Well, okay, second-funniest. My heart will always belong to Fern.]

Oh Fern rocks! She is awesome and has done a wonderful job. I'd love to offer her an honorary membership to our party but I'm just simply not smart enough to come up with an acronym for slugs chickens and small trees who also all just happen to talk

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure you still need the talking part though.

TUFFS

The United Fowl, Fern and Slugs Party

Wasn't so sure how to add in "fabulous" to all that...maybe the FLUFFS party?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These were not the comments of a member of the RP Alliance. Or made IC. I have made sure of that.

Freelance. Proserpina. Fern. All these clowns are friends of mine. OOC and IC. If someone has a problem with their RP ...that person is welcome to disappear.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure you still need the talking part though.

TUFFS

The United Fowl, Fern and Slugs Party

Wasn't so sure how to add in "fabulous" to all that...maybe the FLUFFS party?
So, from STFU to FLUFFS? LOL for some reason I like that (but no more campaign ads) The thought of what I would do with something like "fluffs" frightens even me *Banishes SK's picture of giant tissue truck from my mind*

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Having to listen to a constantly negative opinionated person who feels justified in saying such things can quickly drag you down. It's a small UO game world here and it can be a real chore to remain polite and well mannered when dealing with such an individual. Just be glad you see it for what it is and don't allow them to drag you down with them.

When it gets to be too much? It's amazing how much more enjoyable the game can be when you use the 'ignore' option. It's like releasing the pressure valve. After a while, if you feel like it, you can always reverse the ignore option.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they were to create a shard for "clowns", I can pretty well guarantee that most of Baja would be moving to that shard and I'd be one of the first to do so. These elections have been so humorous to me and I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed coming into my office after a hard day of work just to read more posts by the candidates. Even my husband (who doesn't play UO or any online game) has enjoyed the antics of many of the candidates. After the election, I'm looking forward to seeing if we'll have some player run events. If they do, I'm sure they'll entertain all of us and you can count on me to help set them up. :thumbup1: I, for one, think that Lindae should be hired to do the posters for the events. The drawings we've seen so far are nothing short of hilarious!

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Play nice children, or I'll duct tape you to your chairs and take away your stuffy dwagons.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Play nice children, or I'll duct tape you to your chairs and take away your stuffy dwagons.

OOOO! promise? *is more impressive w/out my stuffy dwagon*

(And even if I did disagree with Fern on anything, after that last taming hour ... there is no way in Hell I'd be brave enough to say anything about it) Almost never, in game, does anyone make my jaw drop. Kudos to you! *I really do mean that as compliment*

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You! You're not getting duct taped to your chair. I'm drawing a salt-circle around your bedroom so you're stuck in there - FOR EVARRRRRRR!

*Cries* but but ... slugs are afraid of the dark! I even keep little Wonder Woman night light for when I'm living under a rock. Errr yeah that's the only reason .... *shuts up now*

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Amen to that Painted Elves! *stomps off to my room as loudly as I can* :sad2:

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't that be more of a sloshy, squishing sound then stomping?

Just asking...
Indeed! you are correct

*sloshes and squishes off to my room, leaving as large of a slime trail as possible*

Ha! take that ya Big Meanie!

True fact : When my son was about 3 he tried to send me to my room when he got mad at me. He would always say "go to your room and don't think about it!" I never really understood that last part. But he is related to me so making sense is optional

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I even keep little Wonder Woman night light for when I'm living under a rock. Errr yeah that's the only reason .... *shuts up now*

What Sluggy REALLY does on the weekends with his Wonder Woman paraphernalia.........

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if the political life is not meant for Sluggy he can always fall back on his previous entertaining career...

[youtube]MHlh-lMz5xw[/youtube]

P

Pandora of Baja

that picture of a slug in wonder woman clothes just ruined my love for wonder woman...cause I head that the real slug really wears superman underwear and sponge bob undies...I know the world as we know it now is lost to slugs

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Sluggy REALLY does on the weekends with his Wonder Woman paraphernalia.........
So, the other night, my son wanted to borrow my computer to grab some MP3's to put in his IPod. When he sat down, and saw a slug in a wonder woman costume as my wallpaper ... he burst out laughing and called out dad?!?!

So in the eyes of an 18 year old I have been promoted from being a mere simple dork .. to Dork Royalty.

Thanks, umm I think. *oddly I am strangely proud of that title* *wonders if I should worry abut me*

Benito

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest you research the definition of "dork." You'll love it.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dork may refer to:

USA pejorative slang for a quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends. Often confused with nerd and geek, but does not imply the same level of intelligence.

Vulgar slang for "Content might not be suitable for all audiences "

*Realizes what I wrote, tho in jest, may have been interpreted to mean something else entirely and has thusly been deleted*

*2nd Edit - Sorry Amber! (don't send me to my room! please!)