• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ABC Archer: Elf or Human?

S

Seismic

About to make my 6th character - an ABC Archer.

Arguments for going human vs. elf?

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No question at all. Definitely elf for the extra mana. You aren't gonna be using specials if you have lightning strike. I'm also assuming this character is PvM however.

S

Seismic

No question at all. Definitely elf for the extra mana. You aren't gonna be using specials if you have lightning strike. I'm also assuming this character is PvM however.
Yes, PvM. So definetly elf .. anyone else?

J

jelinidas

I went the other way for JoAT. My ABCer lives in Doom alot and I like the ability to hide for log outs. It has also saved my rear when trying it on the run in sticky situations. My equipment is decent for mana regen, guess its preference. Either way, a fun and powerful character. You will have fun with it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are going to have another special move cost qualifier skill to put you up to 300 skill points, go elf.

If you are gonna have Archery above 100, with Bushido lower than your archery skill, go human. This is especially true if you don't go over 80 in Bushido.

in the 200-240 range for Archery+bushido, you could go either way, depending on whether you use special moves much.

S

Seismic

I need to try this out on test center first before I know... thanks everyone

F

Fumoffu

any ABC human archers use spellweaving (from JOAT bonus) spell like gift of renewal?

I wonder if its helpful at all without any sort of focus. Was thinking going human for that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know about ABC archers in particular, but ALL of my humans have spellweaving at JOAT level (i.e. done the quest).

Even without a focus, you can cast successfully over half the time on some of the lower levels (and an elf at 0 can even cast Arcane circle and gift of renewal 12.5% of the time).

Gift of Renewal is one of the best things for JOAT casting. Get other people to stand on that new circle at Britain bank, that have 0 real Spellweaving, and cast Arcane circle, to make it even better.

Gift or renewal, with no focus, will give back 5 HP every 2 seconds for about a half-minute. With a level 2 or 3 focus, it's a minute or more, and 7-8 HP. Actually get a level 6 focus from 4 others on the Britain circle, and it's incredible.

I use Gift of renewal on characters when at serado (the Tokuno Champ), to keep me alive, as he deadly poisons you when you or a pet hits him, and the spell at 0 focus is usually enough (unless he hits you in melee) to keep you alive while concentrating your healing efforts on curing poison, and not having to have a balanced weapon or disarm to drink a potion.

F

Fumoffu

Nice, I guess I'll stick with my human then. Sounds like its worth it.