• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Template/Calculation System: Would you use it?

Would you use a template/calculation system?

• Total voters

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a previous thread, I stated that I was starting to build a spreesheet that would essentially serve as a template builder - You'd input skills, item properties, stats, etc., and it would do a whole bunch of calculations for you for various things, from item intensities, to damage estimate calculations to bandaging times, a whole host of different things.

It's been an interesting project thus far. I've never had want to or needed to delve into Excel as much as I have for this, so I'm learning all sorts of new things.

The problem I'm encountering now is one of doubt. While I AM having fun doing it, so it hasn't been for naught, I'm wondering:

Will anyone USE the damn thing? If I took the time to do it in .NET, would people use it, or only if it's in something like Excel?

So hopefully, if I'm doing this right, I'm creating a poll. Assuming that this is of course, a well-built system, would you:

• Use it regardless of format, if it's a good system.
  • Use it, but only if it's in Excel
  • Use it, but you'd like to see it done in .NET
  • You may have a passing interest, but it's likely something that wouldn't take.
  • Sorry, but you'd likely never use it no matter what.

As for making a web-based system, I don't have a server to host it on, and as I'm not up-to-date on my AJAX programming, it'd likely be pretty "Plain Jane", even if I could find hosting without adds and some kind of DB backend. (I could do it in flat-file, but that's a weee bit more than I'd like to do.)

So please, vote and let me know if there's actually any interest in the community, or if not, any other thoughts on the subject.

AxiamInc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Coldren,

I for one would welcome the addition with open arms.

Anything that can help get me away from the 974823 sheets of paper I use when building a suit and template will do nothing more than save a few tree's at worst! I am interested to see what kinds of items and thoughts you have had in your endevor. I'm sure this tool could be extremely useful.

Ax

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sat down to write something like this out myself this weekend. Unfortunatly 3 year olds don't understand the importance of organizing online game characters. Would definitely jump on using it.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am interested to see what kinds of items and thoughts you have had in your endevor.
Well I can tell you right now, at this point, it's very basic. So far it:

1) Calculates basic information (Mana, Stamina, HP's) based on stats (STR, DEX, INT). It also has notes that let you know how to determine your Base Stat and Skill caps.

2) Lets you enter skill values, keeps a running total, lets you know if you enter a value over the cap, and has a sheet that tells you what stats it raises (Primary/Secondary)

3) A list of all item properties (Except for, example, I didn't list EVERY slayer type, or EVERY AoE on On-Hit chance, though it's something that's not hard to add), what pieces they're found on, intensity ranges based on the resources I've found.

4) A place where you can enter all your item properties, and it tells you what intensity range the property falls in. So if you enter an item property, such as 15% Life Leech, in the column next to it, it will specify that your item's intensity is X% of the maximum.

It's all very simplistic now, and has some fairly effective data validation for what it's worth, but that's mostly due to hurdles I'm encountering using Excel. For example, getting a Pivot table to update automatically, rather than forcing the user to update it, or directly manipulating a cell value in another work sheet. Small nuances to simple things I have to learn how Excel handles. I'd do this much more quickly and effectively in .NET, with XML files and whatnot, so I'm leaning towards that at the moment, but I want to be sure it'll be worth the time for others.

I'd be glad to try to find a place to put up the file as it stands now somewhere.

H

HillBilly

As much info as I can get in one location is definately a good thing :)

Im constantly going in and outta game to find info on the forums, uo websites, etc. for things,you would think, are easy to find but arent.

Everyone may not have Office though and do not wish to install a seperate app. to view them. If done in .NET with a nice frontend (ie: easy to operate GUI) I could see this being an awesome project.

Good luck and keep us informed :thumbup1:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be a gift from the gods for me - my inability with numbers is legendary in our family and the only way I have to build suits atm is to actually put the damn things on and go from there. I spend a fair bit of time building suits for new ones, so anything that will make the process go a little less painfully would be wonderful.

Good luck, keep us posted - I'd definitely use it!

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'd like to see a few more votes, but it's nice to know that at least a handful of people will use it.

I got to playing around with Visual Studio 2008, so I think I'm going to make it an application based on the .NET 3.5 framework. I forgot how fun it can be to do create simple VB applications. My apologies to people who wanted to see it in Excel, but what I want to do is a bit more complicated than what I can make Excel do for me.

I'll make the source available to anyone who wants it, and if Mythic has any problems with it, or any assets it uses (Images, text, etc.), I'll be ready to take it down.. I don't need any legal trouble.

So keep voting, everyone! I'll keep everyone posted.

M

MoneyMaker

I would love to use it!
with 5 teenagers its a bit hard to get anything done in a timely manner around my house, so anything that will help me get a char up and running faster will be a godsend!
Too bad you had so many probs with Excel (about the only program i am actually proficent with), but i guess i willl learn something new with the other.
Keep us posted on the progress!!

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
.NET windows form for the win.
Im a C# programmer my self and have a program for roleplayers and pvpers. People just seem to like them. Im fairly certain if you did this it would catch on very fast.

Good luck!

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would try it out yes.

I would like to see something they have in place on test already.

Floating (personal) status of what my sdi is, my dci, mr #'s and so forth that would be a good start.

Mind ya, that only (you) could see those numbers.

*Also would like to see where my fame/ karma/honor/...... is (numerically)*

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too bad you had so many probs with Excel (about the only program i am actually proficent with), but i guess i willl learn something new with the other.
Well, it's not that I COULDN'T make it in Excel, it's just that I'm not getting the results I want. Doing this project in .NET will allow me to do some things that Excel simply doesn't allow. Plus, the nice thing is, if it's done right, you won't have to learn anything - It makes for incredibly simple-to-use applications.

I've started getting the XML files set up the way I wanted them, and that's the longest part - Getting all the data in a consistent format. Building the application is cake. The thing that takes the longest with .NET for me is I'm very fussy about how the application looks and feels, whereas building the underlying structure goes very quickly.

Incidentally, does anyone run at a resolution LESS than 1024x768? I tend to build my applications with a static size - It saves me a lot of time if I don't design the interface to be adjustable, and it ensures a consistent look and feel... And I HATE scrollbars. No rational reasion.. Just don't like'em.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I work out my own and I understand the game better for it.

I use a spreadsheet (not excel) to total skills, copy/paste common arties & all my armor/jewlery into a suit totaller and then use a stat totaller once I know what all suit bonuses are going to be (So I can work out str/dex/int/hp/stam/mana), so I know where to put my stats when naked. This way I can find out if something I want to build works before I start moving skills around/buying random armor.

In saying that though I realise most people probably dont do any of this so it would help them. So I think what you're trying to do is a good idea (even if slightly difficult*), I didnt vote for anything because I dont want to skew the results by voting for something non applicable. So I personally probably wouldn't use it but I think a lot of people would.

*difficult because people tend to disagree on what skill is needed for certain things.

Edit: If theres any obscure skill/stat/property stuff you don't yet have I might know it. Feel free to PM me.