• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A question to gamers.....

A

accessdenied

I have always been interested in a certain type of game that I do not know how to find, so I'm here asking for anyone's help.

The type of game is somewhat old and it usually involves real time strategy where you take over other kingdoms with characters that can level up and fortify outposts of your own or others that you can take over. The screen is sometimes darkened and as you send out scouts that roam, the screen will lighten up so you can see the terrain and/or any groups of orcs, goblins, or other outposts for example.

I recently played a version of it in Soul Calibur 3, called Chronicles of the Sword. The game play mimics this somewhat. If anyone knows of any games that are of this type or knows the type of game, so I could google it and possibly buy one for either the PC or Playstation, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading.....

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

You have the right term, I believe. Real Time Strategy (RTS).

Microsoft had successful games with this concept, the Age of Empires series.

Related is TBS, Turn-Based Strategy. See the Civilization series.

-Galen's player

G

Age of Mythology is a great RTS too

Heroes of Might and Magic series actually somehow comes into my head the most though, from your description of taking over outposts etc

Oh, and older yet, Master of Magic, (though it was turn based strategy), AWESOME awesome game. Master of Orion (2) along the same lines, but was space exploration

*edits* Oh, and it may be just me, but I find strategy games MUCh easier to play on PC than console

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heroes 1-9

most recently released was heroes 5, and their is like 3 expansions onto it. i play it alot in my downtime. actually design maps too.

C

Cybrdragon

There are lots of good RTS games out there, not the least of which is Blizzard's Starcraft, which I still play to this day. Actually, WoW is based on Warcraft, another good, albeit, older RTS. One of my favorites is Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. Some fantasy type ones are the Age of Empires series, Empire Earth, and Lords of Magic. Another few good sci-fi ones are the Command And Conquer series and the Total Annihilation series, as well as Dune 2000.

RTS is one of my favorite genres. I haven't played any really new ones. I might be persuaded to by a new computer just to play Starcraft 2 though.

I'm not sure what this has to do with UO, though. :p

G

Haven't played 5 yet, but I so totally enjoyed all the others =D (not to mention the regular M&M games - I still have notebooks full of hints, maps etc from M&M(2? maybe?) on my Sega Megadrive! =D)

We keep saying we should get HoMM5, just never seem to get around to it =P

*edits* And cybrdragon - awesome taste in *every* game you mentioned =D

A

accessdenied

Cool, thanks everyone. I've been looking on the internet at alot of them. I'm really only interested in the medieval ones though. (orcs, dragons, etc.)

I

imported_Cysphruo

seems like a dumb question but have you tried the old warcraft games? before it went online
they have the whole knights/orcs thing, you explore the map, build up your city and defend it as opposing forces invade, sounds about exactly as your describing.
....im goin to play warcraft lol

T

TirNaNog

It really sounds like you're describing Warcraft II or Warcraft III to me. They're old games by now but still very fun and you can play online for free once you buy the software. They have orcs, dragons, goblins and outposts to fortify.. and the darkened screen effect which they call "fog of war".. I think the Warcraft games were the first major games of this genre.

I still play both and find them to be very fun. They also use a similar animation style and perspective compared to UO. They look more UO than they do WoW at least..

G

You may want to look up Lords of the Realm.

Not sure if thats the game you're talking about as I havent played it since junior high (and I'm 25 now).

G

That sounds like the Heroes of Might & Magic series. It has the whole midevil fantasy theme (Orcs/Dragons/etc), you can level up your Heroes (Which are basically commanders of your units) through winning battles, it has the Fog of War effect, and the point of it is to reach a certain objective, which generally involves taking over Outposts, Kingdoms, Mines/Lumbermills etc.

Too bad they stopped the original Might & Magic series, was pretty good. Last one i played was Might & Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer, could get "Monster" races in your party, like Trolls, Minotaurs, Vampires, and even Dragons. Each Race/Class had a "Promotion" Quest that made them more powerful and raised their skill caps. Knights became Champions, Clerics became Priests of the Sun, Dark Elves became Dark Elf Patriarchs/Matriarchs, Necromancer's became Liches, Minotaurs became Minotaur Lords, Trolls became War Trolls, Vampires became Nosferatus, and Dragons became Great Wyrms.

G

Since we're on the subject of old compy games, I found Rage of Mages (1 & 2) in an old box (I got them for christmas one year but never actually played them) and wondered if anyone here had heard of them or played em.

G

The Dominions Series from shrapnel games , is a very deep fantasy based RTS.It truly is great ye will not be dissapointed.

I

imported_Ilysess

<blockquote><hr>

Cool, thanks everyone. I've been looking on the internet at alot of them. I'm really only interested in the medieval ones though. (orcs, dragons, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know that its really medieval but you should take a look at Age of Mythology Gold edition if you are looking for those kind of creatures.

AoM is actually microsofts first testing of their new game engine that was used for Age of Empires III and it turned out to be the game out the year.

It should also be pretty cheap to get a copy of it including the expansion.

Just my thoughts though...