• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A parting of the ways

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I said this privately to someone. I guess I'll say it here out loud.

TheGrimmOmen you were like the last crab cake.
UO to me is turning into a "once great place" instead of the "best place".

We used to go to a restaurant here and get the most awesome crab cakes as appetizers to share. You'd get 3 for $25. Over the last couple of years they reduced them to 2 for the same price. Then they made them smaller. Then they went back to original size but there's only one on the plate. Now you are paying the same amount for one crab cake and a bunch of parsley to fill up the empty space on the plate. I get it. Inflation. I'd rather pay more and keep the quality.

UO has turned into this. There has to be something we as players can do to keep the quality for what we are paying for. A few (time is relative) years ago our rates were raised from 9.99/mo to 12.99/mo. We weren't happy but we paid it. We paid it because we enjoyed what was offered and they kept the quality up. Now we are paying the same amount but they are taking things away from us. Things like passion and respect for the players. Who do we complain to? I want to know who to write a letter to that will actually care what I have to say.

Who do I write to. I'll call if I have to.
Where is the rest of the team during this? Why aren't they fighting for us? There should have been an uprising at the office. We should be hearing about how people stepped up and said "Hey this is a BAD idea". Oh, no, we can't hear that. People fear for their jobs. They aren't allowed to report on the facts. This isn't a newspaper. This is a fansite. No one from EA is going to come on and say "Yeah I thought this was a bad idea" because Monday when they get to work there will be a message on their desks letting them know how inappropriate it is to publicly voice a dissenting opinion on Mythic decisions.

Someone has to take a stand though. To continue to remove people from staff with the love, passion, loyalty and dedication to the game they work on is just down right ignorant. Who's advice are they listening to on this?

We are still paying $12.99/month but for the rest of the year we've already been told all we will be getting is "bug fixes".
We are still paying $12.99/month but now all that's on our plate is parsley.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are still paying $12.99/month but for the rest of the year we've already been told all we will be getting is "bug fixes".
We are still paying $12.99/month but now all that's on our plate is parsley.

What.........

From the letter from the Producer:

The second part is the future of UO. After we finish the holidays, which does take up a lot of time for creation for Halloween, anniversary, vet rewards etc, we are going to step back and do a major bug fixing publish. Currently we have documented 1173 known bugs in our system, I want to cut that number in half. This bug sprint will not happen till the first of the year so that will give me plenty of time to go over all the bugs in the thread on stratics to make sure we have those documented in our system.
After the major bug sprint we will continue to put in updates to the dungeons, armor and monsters. Of course we will be throwing in other tidbits but it wouldn’t be any fun to tell you what they are now. =P

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What.........

From the letter from the Producer:

The second part is the future of UO. After we finish the holidays, which does take up a lot of time for creation for Halloween, anniversary, vet rewards etc, we are going to step back and do a major bug fixing publish. Currently we have documented 1173 known bugs in our system, I want to cut that number in half. This bug sprint will not happen till the first of the year so that will give me plenty of time to go over all the bugs in the thread on stratics to make sure we have those documented in our system.
After the major bug sprint we will continue to put in updates to the dungeons, armor and monsters. Of course we will be throwing in other tidbits but it wouldn’t be any fun to tell you what they are now. =P
So I read it wrong, we aren't getting anything until after the first of the year.
Wow I thought at least they'd work on bugs to finish the year out.

(Sorry but Holiday gifts/Halloween shard is one of those been there/done that sort of things, not content. Additionally, we've already got the art for the 15th anny gifts and vet rewards.)

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:( Sad to see yet another one go. It seems that's all that is happening in UO lately, one after another that really appreciate, love this game & actually communicate with us, the players, is going. Good luck in whatever pops your way Grimm, we all know deep down you will make it because of your great talent.
God speed Grimm ;)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gotten quite a few questions about this so I thought I'd just go ahead and let you know that my time as a UO dev is coming to an end. By the middle of this month, I will no longer be art lead for UO, and by Sept 27th, I will no longer be a part of the UO team. Mythic is moving my position to Virginia.

I wanted to let you all know that I feel very honored to have been a member of the UO development team serving, over the years, as an Environment Artist, Character Artist, Character Lead, Associate Art Director, Technical Artist, and finally, Lead CG Supervisor. More than that, I've been very fortunate to have been a part of this community.

I'll never forget the first day I told the team that I was going to start posting to the community. It was right around the time that we had shipped Samurai Empire, and I had been promoted to Character Lead. Literally everyone was telling me that I really needed to be prepared because there was a LOT of hostility towards the artists. I told them that maybe it was because none of the artists talked to them! LOL. Now, not a day goes by that I don't check in to see what's getting posted and to take part in this wonderful community.

I remember the first animated tile I ever made, and a lot of you still have those green soulstones in your houses.

I remember unleashing thunder chickens at Luna Bank on the test shards and laughing along with you guys as the corpses piled higher, and the battle raged for an hour!

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to sit and talk with so many of you at our player meet ups, and I fondly remember sitting at a table with a couple talking about UO - who, until the end of the conversation, didn't know I was a dev.

I remember working with dev legends such as Tact, Oaks, Hans, Karma, Sunsword, Wilki, Binki, and Troublemaker as well as us new bloods, Cathat, Grumpy, and others who never picked up a moniker. I still think of them as some of the finest devs I've ever worked with.

As a game developer, it's a rare opportunity to work on such an iconic project and with such a dedicated player community, and it is an opportunity that I am very grateful for.

I've spent close to a decade working on this game and building friendships, and I hope that those friendships and this wonderful game last for years to come.

Thank you all for years of great memories.

-Grimm

I wish you the best Grimm on your future travles. I suggest ArenaNet :) if I wanted to be selfish. I wish you and your family good health and fortune where ever you land. Be safe and take care. :)

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I read it wrong, we aren't getting anything until after the first of the year.
Wow I thought at least they'd work on bugs to finish the year out.

(Sorry but Holiday gifts/Halloween shard is one of those been there/done that sort of things, not content. Additionally, we've already got the art for the 15th anny gifts and vet rewards.)
I went to the store to buy some frozen wild salmon. The regular box was twice the price it had been last year.
I opened the box, and :( two small square pieces of something mashed up flat with seasoning in it like fish fillets, were in the bottom of a box too big for the contents. And it wasn't real flakey salmon, where FOUR pieces of real fish were a few months ago. Double the price, less than half the amount, and no quality inside .. just air.

UO? Maybe next year things will improve?

Yes -- Keep TheGrimmOmen where he wants to be. Pay him more. Don't force him to move to Virginia. Charge us a bit more.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Currently we have documented 1173 known bugs in our system, I want to cut that number in half. This bug sprint will not happen till the first of the year so that will give me plenty of time to go over all the bugs in the thread on stratics to make sure we have those documented in our system.

Kinda irritating to be honest. We've been griping about bugs bugs bugs forever, and seems it's a really big deal to get em fixed. And now we are being led to believe this will somehow miraculously be done, even tho we now have a skeleton crew...

Seeing is believing :popcorn:

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really pains me to read this, man. You are an awesome artist and an awesome guy, and I really figured you'd be there until the day they turned off the lights. I guess things don't always work out the way we want them to, eh?

I just know you'll land on your feet somewhere spectacular, and whomever gets you is going to be very lucky! Good luck, and Godspeed Mr. Grimm.

P.S. Thanks again for the gong :)
Wilki!!!! I sure do miss you. **hugs**

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
JP,
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the work, the vision and the enablement of my visions. Thanks especially for Scalis, and all the icons. It was a pleasure working with you during my tenure with the game, and as a player I always looked forward to your new creations.

-L

(incidentally someone needs to pull that designer title there <--- )
I met you once during the SA Beta and you were very nice. I think I argued with you a little on barding stuff, but I'm shocked to hear that you aren't on the UO team anymore. :sad3:

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best of luck Grimm! Although it makes me sad to see yet another member leave I'm sure you have your sights set on bigger and better things and no-one can blame you for that. Thanks for the memories and the dedication you have given the community. God bless ya. =)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happened to turning UO into the wild wild west again? WE NEVER FORGET!

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought I had one more picture and I just found it. It might be a little small, but I hope you all can see it. I love the name of the weapon. By the way, I met Logrus during the beta but I'm not sure if I took the screenshots or if another player did and I saved the files. :)

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to the store to buy some frozen wild salmon. The regular box was twice the price it had been last year.
I opened the box, and :( two small square pieces of something mashed up flat with seasoning in it like fish fillets, were in the bottom of a box too big for the contents. And it wasn't real flakey salmon, where FOUR pieces of real fish were a few months ago. Double the price, less than half the amount, and no quality inside .. just air.
..if they were off of the West coast or Alaska they probably had radiation in the meat anyway. Now that I have brightened someone's day I'm off to make someone else ecstatic!

*Crickets*

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- - and then there's the song:
*source: *Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy Lyrics*

"In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry. Be Happy. :banana: "

- - have to love that song!
I have stuffed-toy-parrot that sings that song. My African Grey Parrot now bobs in time to the music while singing those words.

- - back on topic:
TheGrimmOmen, may you always have and keep a great attitude! Amazing how an optomistic approach improves one's life! If you or anyone else hasn't heard that song, it's on UTube.

O

olduofan

Am completely lost for words right now. You will be greatly missed..

May you find a better path ahead my friend...

Keep up the awesome art work Mr. GrimmOmen....

See ya on the other side.......

E

elspeth

So sorry to hear you are going. But all the best on your future roads. Don't be a stranger now! You ain't being kicked off the forums :)