• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"a new item for sale that allows Human players to equip Elven items."

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry if there is a thread on this already....If there is I missed it.

But I just noticed that tidbit from the FoF. Is this item Faction-only? The context suggests it will be.

At first i thought "awesome, I hope it's not Faction only." In fact just a moment ago I said that in a post.

Then I started worrying a bit....Imagine this if you will.

A Necromancer-Samurai, in vampire form, wearing a mage armor Darkwood Suit, with a high-leach weapon, and with jack of all trades plus the "strong back" bonus. The ultimate gold farmer?

-Galen's player

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe they just want to set a precedent for when gargoyle-only armor comes out with SA. It also sounds like it might be an upgrade you buy on the UO game codes site.

S

Sheridan

Given the context it's in, it seems like it would be a Faction-only item...

Faction Consumables: In addition to the new artifacts, a number of new consumables will be available for purchase with silver. Anyone in the faction will be able to use the items (they are freely tradable) but there will be a cooldown on many of the items, based on rank. Examples of the consumables include:
  • Stronghold Rune: One-use item that will teleport you to your faction HQ (standard criminal flagging rules apply)
  • Shrine Gem: One-use item that can be used to teleport your ghost to the nearest shrine
  • Powder of Perseverance: A variant of Powder of Fortification that can be used on the new faction items.
  • Enhanced bandages that also remove curses
  • Two new types of potions
There will also be a new item for sale that allows Human players to equip Elven items.

Start stocking up your silver, and when this goes to Test Center we look forward to your feedback and bug reports!

K

Kratos Aurion

I hope the devs dont presume for us to be purchasing this feature for humans to be able to equip elven armor. That would be insane bull crap and if they keep making us pay for features we deserve to have for free, it's just another item on the long list of excuses to just walk out the door.

K

Kratos Aurion

Can I have your stuff? Even the elf stuff...I'll buy one of the new items so I can wear it...la
did I say I was quitting? Besides if I did quit, beggars such as your self would be the last if they even made my list. I'd only give my stuff to deserving players :)

And are you not fed up being fed BS? 11 years down the road and we have to pay for something everyone wanted changed but never asked for in the beginning. I'm glad EA has you on the leash:coco:

Nylan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just hope they don't decide to keep this faction only.
That would be a slap in the face of the rest of the players that don't want to join factions.
:sad4:

M

meridus

I hope the devs dont presume for us to be purchasing this feature for humans to be able to equip elven armor. That would be insane bull crap .
You're saying this because you have to buy it for silver? or you believe EA is going to charge real money for this feature? To me it reads in game silver.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is kinda dumb, i think they need to make human armor only for humans, elf armor only for elfs, and gargoyle armor for gargoyles.... its how it is, you pick your race.. :(

K

Kratos Aurion

You're saying this because you have to buy it for silver? or you believe EA is going to charge real money for this feature? To me it reads in game silver.
That may be true. It was bolded at the bottom of the FOF posted so I thought it was pay by cash.

E

Extra Value Meal

About time, that requirement was freaking dumb. Although, elf armor looked like crap anyway.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbalanced change...

Bandage that could remove curse.. this is the worst idea ever.

Ok... unless the following:-

If you are using this type of bandage, you cannot heal, but can only remove curse.

Otherwise, if you could heal and remove trap as same time... its not balanced change at all.

Further nerfing all necro and mage templates... my god.. MOST stupid idea ever.

For 2 new potions, I hope its not those heal potions that could continously chug non stop or heal potions that could heal 50 per.... that will be so sad...

Nowadays, to kill ppl 1 v 1 is hard enough with necro and mage if that person is chugging, apple and running... now making this kind of change... this is kinda sad.

Revamp faction doesnt need these things... many people do not join faction is because of the 20 mins stat loss as its a big disadvantage they got.

My goodness... I dont know what you guys are all thinking... this change is kinda garbage in my opinion....

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I was more worreid about the obvious implications of such a stupid move:

what's the point in elves then?

What next, an item to let humans use gargoyle wings?

I just remembered why Richard Garriott never included races in the later Ultima series and Ultima Online. Something along the lines of "what was the point in adding races to your characters when the world didn't recognise it nor treat you any differently".

This is exactly what he was talking about. Here we are introducing races, allowing people to roleplay/be something non-human. Giving them accompanying weapons and crafting items to further distinguish themselves, then here we go completely undermining these efforts.

A bit like the recent "let's revive Ultima with a graphics update then replace it all with 2D artwork in the next expansion".

J

jelinidas

did I say I was quitting? Besides if I did quit, beggars such as your self would be the last if they even made my list. I'd only give my stuff to deserving players :)

And are you not fed up being fed BS? 11 years down the road and we have to pay for something everyone wanted changed but never asked for in the beginning. I'm glad EA has you on the leash:coco:
Somebody needs a hug. :grouphug:

D

D'Amavir

Actually I was more worreid about the obvious implications of such a stupid move:

I just remembered why Richard Garriott never included races in the later Ultima series and Ultima Online. Something along the lines of "what was the point in adding races to your characters when the world didn't recognise it nor treat you any differently".

This is exactly what he was talking about. Here we are introducing races, allowing people to roleplay/be something non-human. Giving them accompanying weapons and crafting items to further distinguish themselves, then here we go completely undermining these efforts.

A bit like the recent "let's revive Ultima with a graphics update then replace it all with 2D artwork in the next expansion".
Personally, I would be much happier if all of the 'human' or 'elf' only benefits were removed. If EA just added races as a way to rp different types and didn't have to worry about balancing those new types, we might get more races than just the two we have to choose from now. Lizardmen, Meer, Juka and Orcs all playable races without the fear that one race will be more powerful than another or that someone will come up with some super gimp template based on some obscure 'racial benefit'. That would be nice.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm an elf. . . I'm against this. If you are going to have this item, then why bother having race based armor? Either let everyone wear everything or keep everyone to their own race of armor.

That being said, why can elves wear non-elven armor? It's poor game consistency.

F

Fink

That being said, why can elves wear non-elven armor? It's poor game consistency.
That.. and why can't crafted "elven" armour be worn by both? Surely the crafter could make it to "fit" humans..

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Elves and humans have differences other than the ability to use elf-only armor.

I don't know if they'll incorporate this or not, but in U9 there were boots that let the Avatar fly so he could get around in the gargoyle city.

-Galen's player

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't know if they'll incorporate this or not, but in U9 there were boots that let the Avatar fly so he could get around in the gargoyle city.

-Galen's player
It's hard to compare to a single-player game, because the setting, content and immersion is all there.

If someone pics an elf character and acts normal without any RP influence (aka a human) then what's the difference between an elf and a human besides the obvious appearance?

Personally, I would be much happier if all of the 'human' or 'elf' only benefits were removed. If EA just added races as a way to rp different types and didn't have to worry about balancing those new types, we might get more races than just the two we have to choose from now. Lizardmen, Meer, Juka and Orcs all playable races without the fear that one race will be more powerful than another or that someone will come up with some super gimp template based on some obscure 'racial benefit'. That would be nice.
But that's the point. If people just make an elf, wear all the typical human clothing we've seen before, don't act any differently (whether through direct RP or a lack of gameplay expression) then why bother?

If players can be lizardmen, are they going to be forced to live in dungeons or around swamps? Why not? That's what lizardmen do.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
That was dependent on the magic in Ambrosia, though. They didn't work outside the city.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was dependent on the magic in Ambrosia, though. They didn't work outside the city.
Enough to get a human into the gargoyle-only areas in SA, though, if they use this item in SA....

However, I doubt they will.

Let me specifically ask some questions which, in retrospect, I only implied by my post, and should have asked specifically: Devs, is it your intent that the item that'll let non-elves wear elf gear be Faction-only, or of more general use? If it's of more general use, will there be a general way to obtain it, or might it be obtained only by Factions but then sell-able to the general populace?

These questions would at first blush seem to be fairly easy to answer.

-Galen's player

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given the Dev's past actions, all of these changes worry me.

I imagine in a year, in order to PvP, we're all going to have to be gargoyle faction members, if not you won't stand a chance.