• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

a luna house scam how seady

CountSilverbow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
apparently some folks decided to let there luna house go i dont know what you call it when it looks like its about to fall .... any way they would make a char with the owners name then try to get up front money for it ... or have you buy things off a vendor as collateral ... im not to sure of all the details but would hate to see people but a good tip if your not sure about the owner maybee would be to have them initiate the trade window i guess dunno :(

dunno why but it reminds me of saying tell me who your with and ill tell you who you are

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... What? Is it just me, or does anyone else's brain hurt reading this? Can someone translate please?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My guess is the following (and a valid warning as I've heard it being done on various shards as well)...

A luna house is in IDOC. Someone makes a character with the same name as the shown house owner. He then tries to "sell" the house that doesn't belong to him by posing as the owner. Since luna homes almost always go for more than 125m, the transaction requires more than one transfer of gold. Hence they try to convince you to give a portion of the gold first.

Be safe folks.

Kahlan

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
crappy... kinda ingenious but still crappy...

wouldn't you be able to verify by opening the trade window and either being able to view the house info or not?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
crappy... kinda ingenious but still crappy...

wouldn't you be able to verify by opening the trade window and either being able to view the house info or not?
Yes, but Luna houses tend to sell for more than 125million which is the max amount of checks you can hold. So let's say they sell it for 200m, that extra 75 is what they try to get a head of time. There are a number of ways to verify they are indeed the owner, but even if they are there is a strong chance you can still get scammed unless you use a neutral and safe 3rd party because of the high amount of gold.

Lots of stuff out there. Some old and some new. If the deal sounds too good to be true, always look a bit closer at it, folks.

O

Old Macdonald

Yes, but Luna houses tend to sell for more than 125million which is the max amount of checks you can hold. So let's say they sell it for 200m, that extra 75 is what they try to get a head of time. There are a number of ways to verify they are indeed the owner, but even if they are there is a strong chance you can still get scammed unless you use a neutral and safe 3rd party because of the high amount of gold.

Lots of stuff out there. Some old and some new. If the deal sounds too good to be true, always look a bit closer at it, folks.
This is all good information, but what ever happened to packies? Did EA nerf those too? try 600+ mils on five packies? That gets ya a pretty nice lot downtown and safely i might add. Although the buyer does have a bit of counting to do....
:wall:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all good information, but what ever happened to packies? Did EA nerf those too? try 600+ mils on five packies? That gets ya a pretty nice lot downtown and safely i might add. Although the buyer does have a bit of counting to do....
:wall:

If you friended the seller to the packies, they could remove the gold. I don't believe you can transfer a home and packhorses in the same transaction as both require you to target the other party even if the seller could verify the gold. Don't think you can snoop non-guilded/warred individuals in Trammel, but perhaps you can. If you can't then it would need to be in Felucca. I wouldn't take 5 packies of gold to Felucca. The checks are blessed, but if someone could kill the packies than it does not remain blessed for the packies and goes into the corpse. A couple people working as a team could easily drop/loot a packhorse in a guardzone. Oh and if its an item you're selling that goes for over 125m+, don't accept the "I'll guild you so you can snoop the packhorses ahead of time". When guilded you can be stolen from or killed.

To the best of my knowledge, Packies aren't a safe way for either buyer or seller unless they trust one another -completely-. Packies make me very nervous personally. I've seen many things go wrong with them unfortunately. Just my opinion though from experience.

O

Old Macdonald

If you friended the seller to the packies, they could remove the gold. I don't believe you can transfer a home and packhorses in the same transaction as both require you to target the other party even if the seller could verify the gold. Don't think you can snoop non-guilded/warred individuals in Trammel, but perhaps you can. If you can't then it would need to be in Felucca. I wouldn't take 5 packies of gold to Felucca. The checks are blessed, but if someone could kill the packies than it does not remain blessed for the packies and goes into the corpse. A couple people working as a team could easily drop/loot a packhorse in a guardzone. Oh and if its an item you're selling that goes for over 125m+, don't accept the "I'll guild you so you can snoop the packhorses ahead of time". When guilded you can be stolen from or killed.

To the best of my knowledge, Packies aren't a safe way for either buyer or seller unless they trust one another -completely-. Packies make me very nervous personally. I've seen many things go wrong with them unfortunately. Just my opinion though from experience.
Pack Horses/Llamas certainly are snoopable even when they are not green to you. This makes them safe and sane like fireworks - only when used properly! This being said, i somewhat agree with you Assia. I think the main point here is that UO has a crappy trading system for high end items! :danceb:

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pack Horses and the like always scare me when dealing with houses. Even though I haven't experienced any problems with house transfers, having them disappear when houses fall freaks me out. There are a handful of decent brokers out there, if anyone needs a third party I'm available to help. Remember if you do get a broker or any third party be sure to check some references or ask other players in game. I wouldn't mind getting some "newer" active players as references.

O

Old Macdonald

BUYER BEWARE!

Recent scam went down using stratics as a site to fish out account buyers to scam!

Buyer agreed to half up front, exchange the house and then second half upon inspection and trade of the house - and the account seller took the money and ran!
"To infiniti and beyond!"

Dont be caught in a similar situation - Use Lyconis' advice or services of a third party to secure a fair deal.

We all know what happened and how to avoid another bad transaction to the tune of 200 million gold.

Yea yea i know large bad on the buyer, but when you are in the situation be sure to think your transaction through.

CountSilverbow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well i think they had packies all set up and when deal wasnt going through
i think someone came by and released a beetle which had to be killed think it was a cd thing or at least the house was cd and ya my brain hurt to writing it sorry was 530 am :stretcher: im not here to point fingers but whatever, points finger lol