• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Little Help on my Little Ole Mining House

F

Firedutch12

I have an isolated tiny house in a valley all to myself. The problem is designing something. It's very very small and the largest I can fit in the valley I am in.

I really liked the tower illusion but when I did the tile layout, I do not think my little plot is even big enough for that...lol.

Any ideas based on the tiny size would be greatly appreciated. The only prerequisite I am wanting is an open front to drop off ore and lumber since I use this house alot for resource gathering.

Any insight for ideas and/or a site to get ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heres a couple of different 7x7 designs I've had:

Both 7x7 plots - probably not what you're after but just showing some of what can be done with such a small plot size :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can do a lot with a little plot, you just can't do *everything* that you see that you might like. That is probably the toughest part about owning a small house. Risso gave a couple of really cute examples. I did some a long while ago but I think the overall designs held up well over time.

Here's a grouping of four different types:

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a design I made for someone who had a tiny plot in Luna which was overshadowed by 2 large, tall houses.

Basic design on Test Center.

Decorated plot in its high density Luna setting. I ended up rotating the house because the neighbor overshadowed it.

You could make a little stable and forge area below the house, instead of the pond and such.

This house was in Fel ruleset on Siege so I had to fit security in there...the teleporter hidden under the plant on the porch takes you directly to the 2nd story house, which as far as I know is safe from Nature's Fury exploit, fields, etc.

-Skylark

F

Firedutch12

Great ideas!!!

I will start on the house......any idea how to post pictures here? I would love to show what I came up with on design also...

F

Firedutch12

Found a way to get a picture of the lonely plot here for peeps to see...so they know what Im dealing with....

Would love any input.....again want the front to be open for resource gathering...

Thanks

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I pulled these 4 basic 7x7s together on TC, just for fun ;) ... on your plot, if you set the house farther back you'd have an open lawn/resource area which you could design however you wanted. I personally like the log cabin best, but sandstone/plaster might look better for you in the desert there. The floor plans are all pretty similar. Again, you could expand since your plot's slightly larger... I was doing the designs to exercise some creativity and then found this post!

They're not quite as awesome as some I've seen *points up* :bowdown: but they're ideas!

F

feath

i designed this place a long time ago - and sold it. the guy kept the basic look, but when i had it, the graves had the large grave stones, and about 3 skel's for hidden storage.

on the dark side, compared with other ideas...

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe their house is an 8x11 if anyone else wants to give it a crack on TC :)

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm on it this evening. :D I tried to count the tiles and couldn't without a grid overlay.

F

Firedutch12

Sorry...new at the picture posting...and it came out very small...lol

The plot is a 6x9 or 6x10.

I had a great idea on what Im lookin for. Im at work so cant work on it now...but here is the idea in a nutshell:

I want a railroad track (for coal carts) running north and south on the west side running into a cave with black cloth surrounding rock. Can use maybe logs and blackstaffs maybe for the track??

On the southeast side, a miner campsite with maybe a skeleton (pick axe in hand) for storage area lol...whole area dirt with rocks to try to blend with desert area around it.

The north end of the plot I want a 2-3 story house (log cabin type prolly or sandstone with log corners maybe). The bottom floor with house the cave on the west end and a smithy area on the east side. Teleporter on the northwest btm floor to the 2nd floor.

The second floor would build over the cave area on the 1st floor on the west side and over the 1st floor open smithy area on the east side. The second floor would be for tailoring and woodworking/lumberjack storage.

The 3rd floor Im thinking to make it smaller than other floor to avoid "boxy" look to just be used for storage area.

Sorry this is descriptive but again Im at work and cant get into UO to try to lay something out yet.

So looking for a house/cave combo design, a coal cart would be awesome if at all possible, and coal cart tracks....

The juices are flowing now...lol...thanks to the great designs I have seen on this sight.....any input from the experts here would be appreciated.

Thanks

F

Firedutch12

Was out of town on work business for a bit (week and a half) to Hawaii....so havent got this place layed out to build. Tried runnin with my idea listed above but could not get it to work out...(too narrow of a plot). Really lookin for any ideas on a layout of a made up rock mountain on the left with cave for railroad tracks going into and a house above it maybe.....

I cant seem to get the "L" shapped stairs to take....when I set the first stairs in design mode with 2 teleporters then place the stairs....I find that the end floor tile changes to an unchangable floor tile....which does not let me delete the first (bottom of the stairs)....

Any ideas along the lines mentioned above would be appreciated. This one has got me stumped now....

Thanks

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the spiral stairs sticky... if I'm reading your problem correctly, you can't delete the bottom tile of the staircase? You'll have to build another staircase and erase all but the bottom tile on a perpendicular line to where your desired stairs are, then build the stairs you want, and erasing the first stair bottoms will remove the 2nd ones without erasing the whole staircase. It's tricky but once you get the hang of stairs you can do SO much with them!

I'll try to work on another design for ya tonight... I've been busy with IDOCs and trying to get my own house deco'd but I still feel like a little challenge!

Edit: Here is a rough design... didn't do the black cloth or rail line into the cave but it might give you something to work with structurally. I went with log but it would probably work just as well with sandstone :)

Attachments

F

Firedutch12

Thanks for the ideas.

I decided to go with no stairs and just ladders to each of the floors to give it more of a wilderness mining look.

I am trying to find how to snap shot a pic of the house as I have it done for the most part now....didnt do a coal cart but did do the cart railing into a dark tunnel to rocks under the house and built the house of log cabin.

I added firepit with rock around it and a skeleton with pickaxe for old mining camp look.

I see if I can get the pic posted also.

C

Calla Lily

Very creative, I like it! What are all the water barrels for?

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very creative, I like it! What are all the water barrels for?
Since there is no spawn to really worry about in the Malas secret spots, I suspect that is to block recall due to one or more regular and very unwelcome scripting visitors that he'd really rather not have blissfully strip mining at his cute little mountain retreat where he has to do "real" work to get the ore!

A shame we have to have eyesores like that around our houses just to try to protect the resources the non-cheating players have to work so hard to harvest. :(

-Skylark

F

Firedutch12

Thanks everyone. Now I have to tackle my 4 18x18 side by sides with interior decorating....lol.....

My 4 side by sides all blend together with a river going thru it. If anyone is interested in seeing it first hand and has any insight on decorating, let me know. Im an architect in RL but not an interior decorator......so I have problems. lol.

Im on the Pacific shard.

PS - The water barrels were actually left there from the previous owner probably with the strategy that Skylark mentioned :)

Thanks again for the encouragement folks!!

A

Ashyn

Thanks everyone. Now I have to tackle my 4 18x18 side by sides with interior decorating....lol.....

My 4 side by sides all blend together with a river going thru it. If anyone is interested in seeing it first hand and has any insight on decorating, let me know. Im an architect in RL but not an interior decorator......so I have problems. lol.

Im on the Pacific shard.

PS - The water barrels were actually left there from the previous owner probably with the strategy that Skylark mentioned :)

Thanks again for the encouragement folks!!

Hiya Firedutch!

I'm semi-back on Pacific (re-activated one of my too many accounts to deco for Conner, geeze do I enjoy that aspect of the game). If you'd like any help with the interior deco, just let me know. I'm so hoping your not changing the exterior designs. They're fantastic as they are!