• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few tech questions....

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
C

Connor_Graham

I just upgraded my whole comp setup (and loving the dual 24" HD monitors!) and have a few questions about Windows 7 x64. I've read here that some people have been having troubles with the software and/or problems with the quad core processors, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some specifics, and what to do to solve them? I don't know if this helps or not, but here are the basic specs on the new comp-

AMD Phenom II 945 3.0 mhz quad core processor
8 gigs RAM
1 TB HD
512 MB dedicated ATI Radeon 5450 video card

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Y

Yen Sid

I use Windows 7 x64 and experience no troubles with my Core i7. Is there something specific your having trouble with right now? Its hard to solve a problem that isn't there ;).

C

Connor_Graham

No, not having troubles outside of having to restart my UO download so I could run it as administrator. I'm not sure why a comp with only 1 user would not run as administrator for everything, but it is Microsoft, so there's no telling. I just recall people having issues with patches and something about quad cores a while back and how the game reacts to them or something.

Y

Yen Sid

Yes the admin thing is annoying but you can set up the programs you need to run as admin, to always run as admin, in the properties window (wow that sounds confusing lol). I have done this for Vent since if I don't have it run as admin I can't talk and play at the same time lol. If you do ever have any specific problems though, send me a PM, I would be more than happy to take a stab at it ;).

C

Connor_Graham

Would changing owners of the program to my user name solve that issue? I don't see an option to always run as administrator anywhere. Changing owners was the closest thing I saw to it.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure why a comp with only 1 user would not run as administrator for everything, but it is Microsoft, so there's no telling.

Running as administrator gives any malware (all flavors) full rights to do anything it likes. It is a good thing not a bad thing to run with limited power and force the system to ask you to verify before doing modifications to your system. This is something you should thank Microsoft for, for finally at least attempting to limit the damage done by users running as admin.

C

Connor_Graham

Running as administrator gives any malware (all flavors) full rights to do anything it likes. It is a good thing not a bad thing to run with limited power and force the system to ask you to verify before doing modifications to your system. This is something you should thank Microsoft for, for finally at least attempting to limit the damage done by users running as admin.
I wasn't aware of that. I retract my remark then. Now I just have to remember to run as administrator every time we have a patch.......:sad3:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Right..... I'm kinda getting used to it....

And Connor..... I'm finally (took me 3 weeks) fully now ready to begin using the EC...

It's taken me 3 weeks to set up all my 50+ characters in the EC but now that I'm done.... I've got some hope that this will work.

though I have experienced the black screen of doom following a "nova blast" from the slasher.... While it was annoying.... and dying seems to freeze me up a bit... I'm somewhat liking being able to use the EC there are quite a few features in it that make it FAR superior to the 2d client or any other before it save maybe KR... though I much prefer the EC graphics to KR.... though I miss my swampy having 6 legs and little wings like he's supposed to... (I'm guessing the artist who redid him never read Piers Anthony's Xanth novels *sighs*).... and the thing that stands for my Hiryu is well.... laughable..... I don't know why it and hellcats seem to have been "gifted" with a 20 foot tail.... but they were.

There are a FEW things that I found troubles with though... Can't set up my Ninja to tell the EC to use animal form and specify what you turn into like you can with the 2d client and UO Assist..... which to me puts those in the EC out.... not happy with that and I can't figure out why but I can't seem to set up the eggboms to use in the toolbar...

At any rate enjoy! I am.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, not having troubles outside of having to restart my UO download so I could run it as administrator. I'm not sure why a comp with only 1 user would not run as administrator for everything, but it is Microsoft, so there's no telling. I just recall people having issues with patches and something about quad cores a while back and how the game reacts to them or something.
You can simply disable the UAC and you'll run everything as administrator and never be prompted for anything.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would changing owners of the program to my user name solve that issue? I don't see an option to always run as administrator anywhere. Changing owners was the closest thing I saw to it.
You can RIGHT+CLICK the .exe icon that you use to launch the program (UO in this case) and choose "run as administrator", but you have to do this every time. If you want a particular program to always run in admin mode you need to RIGHT+CLICK, choose Properties, compatibility and check the box at the bottom "run this program as an administrator." As Nexus pointed out, being asked is a security measure. I would not recommend running all programs this way, but for UO you should be fine.

Good Luck!

C

Connor_Graham

You can RIGHT+CLICK the .exe icon that you use to launch the program (UO in this case) and choose "run as administrator", but you have to do this every time. If you want a particular program to always run in admin mode you need to RIGHT+CLICK, choose Properties, compatibility and check the box at the bottom "run this program as an administrator." As Nexus pointed out, being asked is a security measure. I would not recommend running all programs this way, but for UO you should be fine.

Good Luck!
Thanks. That solves one problem. :thumbup1:

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too many Nvidiots lol. My 5850 rolls along quite nicely in any game that's out there....;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont have any accounts set up on my PC. So I guess I run as admin...

Another way to get rid of the "UO is loading" is to run a program that runs full screen without a window. Age of Empires III knocks it off.

I have had no problems with patches. Also have some form of ATI.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the benchmark numbers between amd and intel are not that wide of a gap to justify not buying amd, we're not all running pi 24/7. as far as gpu's go: the new nvidia fermi has 3billion transitors at 400watts under load compared to the amd 5870's 2.15billion transitors at 290 watts under load... yet both have nearly identical bench numbers. which is better ? then there's the 5970...

M

maroite

You get use to having to run as administrator. I run Vista 64 and its just become second nature to run as admin. I also find myself rolling my eyes when people trash talk Vista. I have never had a problem with Vista in 2 years and I use my PC extensively.

I just chuckle and think PEBCAC when people bash Vista.

I will always use Intel and eVGA. I have never had any problems with Intel processors so really find no need to switch. Also, a veteran PC builder can probably do as much as they want with either AMD or Intel.

On a side note, eVGA using intel processors currently broke several 3DMark world records with their 4x GTX480 set up. ;p

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=316295

:heart: eVGA. Such a great company. Great service, great products.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You get use to having to run as administrator. I run Vista 64 and its just become second nature to run as admin. I also find myself rolling my eyes when people trash talk Vista. I have never had a problem with Vista in 2 years and I use my PC extensively.

I just chuckle and think PEBCAC when people bash Vista.

I will always use Intel and eVGA. I have never had any problems with Intel processors so really find no need to switch. Also, a veteran PC builder can probably do as much as they want with either AMD or Intel.

On a side note, eVGA using intel processors currently broke several 3DMark world records with their 4x GTX480 set up. ;p

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=316295

:heart: eVGA. Such a great company. Great service, great products.
so file transfers are fast and speedy again in your vista ?
LN2 or Prometeia with FOUR fermi's better break a record or two, but ya evga ftw.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I just upgraded my whole comp setup (and loving the dual 24" HD monitors!) and have a few questions about Windows 7 x64.
"Looking into the crystal ball, thou doth see swirling mists in which an image forms."

Sorry man it's Windows, expect a BSOD in your future.​

C

Connor_Graham

First, it sure was nice of a mod to move this thread without notifying me it was being moved. Thanks for the minor hassle this morning...

Second, I have a couple more questions-

1. I have a Motorola 2210 dsl modem connected to a D Link wireless router. For some reason the router "forgets" the correct password for my dsl and I have to keep resetting it every time I restart it. What can I do to fix this?

2. Has anyone here used Norton Ghost to create boot discs? I have a copy of the 2003 version and need to use it to make a boot disc for the new comp and have no clue how to use it. Reading the very thick instruction booklet did nothing but confuse me more.

3. WTF is a BSOD?

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First, it sure was nice of a mod to move this thread without notifying me it was being moved. Thanks for the minor hassle this morning...

Second, I have a couple more questions-

1. I have a Motorola 2210 dsl modem connected to a D Link wireless router. For some reason the router "forgets" the correct password for my dsl and I have to keep resetting it every time I restart it. What can I do to fix this?

2. Has anyone here used Norton Ghost to create boot discs? I have a copy of the 2003 version and need to use it to make a boot disc for the new comp and have no clue how to use it. Reading the very thick instruction booklet did nothing but confuse me more.

3. WTF is a BSOD?

1. Possibly a firmware update for the router? That is where I would start at least.

2. I have in a past life (read previous job) and it worked fairly well, but you may find that your OS can create a boot disc for your machine, but not 100% positive on that. I am sure someone/s will come along with some alternatives as well.

3. BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death (the blue screen that windows users experience from time-to-time)

C

Connor_Graham

If my comp can make its own boot disc I have no idea how or where to do it. Hopefully someone much more versed in Windows 7 x64 can tell me. What I'd like is a perfect copy of my C drive so if I do crash, I won't have to install and update a hundred different things.

Thanks for the BSOD explanation.

O

Old Man of UO

Connor... I just installed an Actiontec DSL modem with wireless modem in one small box. I got it at Best Buy for $80. This one has only Wireless G, but N versions are available if you have other computers on the wireless that need large file downloads.

It simplified all the wiring and runs much better than the same setup you have for DSL modem and wireless router. I also got a slight download boost. Something to consider for a future upgrade.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Looking into the crystal ball, thou doth see swirling mists in which an image forms."

Sorry man it's Windows, expect a BSOD in your future.​
honestly, I have not seen a single bsod in 7. can anyone confirm seeing one themselves firsthand yet ?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
honestly, I have not seen a single bsod in 7. can anyone confirm seeing one themselves firsthand yet ?
I've heard tell of it happening on the forums for another game I play...and just Google Windows 7 BSOD you'll get quite a few pretty pics.

Me I don't get BSOD's at all anymore can't, since I don't use Windows...

So no I've not had one first hand, but it has been verified that you can get them.