• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few questions

E

Efeqs

I recently started playing the game and i have been thinking about making a thief ever since but i have a few questions first.
1.is there a way to make a good amount of gold without stealing from other player.
2.is there a way to steal from other players while playing on a normal rule set server.
3.which generic template would work best for a newbie thief

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way to make money in dungeons is to steal the higher end artifacts. On most shards there's little to no market for things like braziers, zen gardens, baskets, stretched hides and piles of books. But some of the higher level ones still sell very well. Only problem is that the desirable ones are going to be camped and a challenge to get. But that's not to say it's impossible.

Stealing from other players on a prodo shard is only possible in fel and only if you're a member of the thieves guild. Pickings are slim these days due to the abundance of blessed and insured items. Best money is made at champ spawns stealing scrolls. Only problem there is people are usually on the alert for thieves when a scroll drops. So watch yourself.

I *think* you can also steal from guild and alliance members on any facet, but I'm not positive. This may have been changed. I have never stolen anything from a guild/alliance member, so if a change was made I wouldn't have noticed anyway. But I do remember training snooping with a guild mate in tram back in the old days.

PvP stealing and dungeon stealing are 2 different animals. Similar, but just a tad different. Here's the templates I like with for each.

PvP:
100 Stealing
100 Snooping
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Fencing
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy

I use a suit with item bonuses to get certain skills above 100. Some people prefer to use ninja skills for an easier escape, but I am a creature of habit and prefer the older skill model. I have the combat skills in there to defend myself if I get backed into a corner. Granted, 9 times out of 10 a seasoned PvPer will bury me in a heartbeat, but I at least want to try to get a shot or two in. The PvP thief forum has a thread with some good template advice. Mine, admittedly, is an archaic template. I'm sure there are much better setups than I have. But as I said, it's been a long time since I ran a PvP thief and I'm a creature of habit. This works for my playstyle, but might be just awful for you. If nothing else, it's a good base to start with and modify to suit your needs.

Dungeon Stealing:
100 Stealing
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Lockpicking
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
120 Resist

My dungeon/rares thief is geared more towards avoiding conflict and detection. Again, his suit raises stealing and stealth to 120 each. The resist is solely for doom, There's some nasty casters in there. I already had it on my mage, so I just use a soulstone to swap it back and fourth between the 2. It was a real pancake to work up to 120, so I didn't want to do it twice. Lockpicking is for crates. Generally when I take him out I hit both dungeons and town chests. As far as traps go, I just set them off and heal myself. For a while I was running with magery to open them via telekinesis from a safe distance. But carrying regs was a pain and working LRC into his existing suit would have been an expensive challenge. Again, this may not work best for you, use it as a base and modify it to your needs/playstyle.

Best advice I can give anyone asking for template advice. Take the advice and head to test center. Try it out there where you can easily make changes to find what works best for you.