• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few questions about Test

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
  1. What is the best non-greater dragon tank you have come up with?
  2. Can someone clarify what repel is and if it is worth having?
  3. Any speculations on the cool down of different special abilities and moves? Example, can a pet utilize multiple special moves, ai, etc. or will they work against each other due to limitations/cool downs. For example, if I have life drain, bladeweave, and an AOE all on the same pet, will the pet use lifedrain less, due to bladeweave? I have observed that the AOE procs consistently no matter what...hmm
  4. I am wondering for example, if one has a Cu'Sidhe if the creature's ai script will prioritize self-bandage or do another behavior instead if it is trained, thus making the CU less tanky.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Got a Cu, it's pretty tough as 5slotter. I gave it Life Steal on top of it's Healing ability. However, I should have given it a proper AoE ability, too, to utilize it properly.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gave my Cu-sidhe MR and HPR, life steal and scrolled its healing, anat, wrestle, tactics and parry. I also gave it chivalry and scrolled that. I won't be able to tell quite how effective it is till its trained up all those skills. My hope is it can fight creatures that do AoE attacks when I can't stay close to vet. My magery is not high and I have no eval.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Those Cu's sound pretty vicious! I am wondering though if the competition for the mana pool between heals which cost 15 and the AOES is worth it? Maybe less is more?

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Trying to answer my own questions on test. I put 120's scrolls on a CU: healing, anatomy, parry, wrestling and feint, with repel. Boosted hp, mana, regeneration, resists to max allowed. The CU was trained up 117/120. I tried it against a balron paragon in the blood dungeon and it could kill it with veterinary help in about 12 minutes. Can kill greater dragon with veterinary, can kill renowned mini champs in SA with no help. Can kill lich lord in 3 hits, no damage, kills most stuff easily.

At regular spawns, Cu's DPS too slow to advance very much. Can it take down a serious boss, dunno.

What would be a good test of it's tanking skills? I am too lazy to farm peerless keys. @ Archnight Dread warhorse, don't have one or I would try. I do have a dread mare I could test for you.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Yep turns out I do have one of those and it can be trained. It can be trained in battle defense, aura of nausea, poison breath, essence of disease, necromancy, and necromage too. Holy crap, poison breath is an AOE lethal poison..wow, neat! I think I will train my trick pony in poison breath...and name it Halitosis.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Current pets the only ones that can't be trained are the greater dragon and the dragon turtle. All others can go up at least one slot.

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Is there any kind of preliminary guide that the devs made up? I can't find anything..

Some questions I have are:

Ok, I started training a couple of my pets. The Cu Sidhe for example, I start the pet training. I walk in the gate in haven, nothing happens, I figure maybe he needs to train a little first.

I start training him and try again when it says he is 1% trained. 1% of what??

After he is 1% I try the gate again and then lore him.

Now I can train new skills.

It says I am 100% trained. I jumped from 1% of what to 100% of what??

I added a few special moves and skills, tried to raise resists, tried to raise hpr, all resists I tried and the hpr told me that I already trained in that.

Am I just stupid and not doing something right?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, there's a preliminary guide, it's the quest the Animal Trainer npc's give. Remember that gate is not going to be on real shards, it's a shortcut, it advances the training bar instead of you having to take the pet hunting to train it.

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ok, that makes more sense, I thought the gate was part of it, didn't realize it was a tc1 thing.

Are current pets a bit nerfed? I was looking at my fire steed, it has about 300 hit points, the system won't let me raise the hit points as it says I have already trained in it, but I just saw someone else's steed at it had over 700 hit points.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, that makes more sense, I thought the gate was part of it, didn't realize it was a tc1 thing.

Are current pets a bit nerfed? I was looking at my fire steed, it has about 300 hit points, the system won't let me raise the hit points as it says I have already trained in it, but I just saw someone else's steed at it had over 700 hit points.
How many slots does your firesteed currently take? You have probably raised it as far as you can at that level, a 700hp firesteed has been trained up to be 5 slots.

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Don't have that info available currently as I am not home, but can all decent pets be raised to be high hit point 5 slotters?

I do know my steed is not a 5.

That would actually make things a bit interesting and diverse, not just GD and Turtles all over the place.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't have that info available currently as I am not home, but can all decent pets be raised to be high hit point 5 slotters?

I do know my steed is not a 5.

That would actually make things a bit interesting and diverse, not just GD and Turtles all over the place.
Pretty much, yes. Most 1 slot pets can be raised up to 3 - but if you do you'll also raise the taming requirement. A few, eg Giant Beetle can go all the way from 1 - 5. 2 slot pets and better can all go to 5.

wishdragon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Nice, it will be cool to see people bringing a variety again.

Get the steeds, mares, ww's, etc back out of the stables.

My preference...the rune beetle. I always like fighting with him but his hit points are terrible for tough mobs.