• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Family Matter

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Leaving Connemara, Aedon made his way to Aegis, and then on to the Seaport house. Arriving there, he made his way to the garden, and sat looking out to sea. He missed being this close to the water, and was glad that they had chosen to keep the building, and convert it to other uses. It was a quiet night for the most part. And only the chirps from the crickets or the occasional howl of a wolf in the deep woods broke the silence.

Lifting his head a bit, he enjoyed the sudden breeze as it whipped across his face carrying with it the scent of sea water.

And smiled a bit.

He knew she was there without a word being spoken. He could feel her presence all about him, though she moved with quiet grace, seemingly making no sound. Without looking back he greeted her.

“Good evening mother, what brings you here tonight?”

Moving to sit next to him, Nemira smiled and lightly touched his face.

“I greet thee well my son, and I am pleased to see thee sitting at my front door.”

“And to what, may I ask do I owe this visit?” He said smiling at her.

“Oh, I have just come to see after thy health, and perhaps….” Stopping for a moment, she studied Aedon’s face, and then continued.

“Aedon, how long wilt thy impose thy punishment on Figol? Has he not paid in some measures for the crimes against thee?”

“There it is, I was sure that you were after something. And tell me mother, do you really see a time limit on his repayment for so many long years of his manipulation? Even at the end, he used me one last time.”

“Then think of me Aedon, Must I too pay for wrongs done to thee? Have I not always loved and protected thee? Wilt thou have me walk the sands alone forever?”

Aedon started to answer when he once again felt a whiff of air drift across his face. Looking to the railing, he watched as Figol landed, and sitting silently, regarded the two speaking. He watched the large bird for a moment before saying to it.

“Well then Grand Magus, what have you to say for yourself? What is the matter old one, has the cat got your tongue?” Peep three times for yes and two times for no.”

With this, he smirked towards Figol, and almost laughed out loud as the bird turned its back on him. But before the sound left him, Nemira spoke again in a harsher tone.

“Why must thou taunt him so my son? Have the years and all you have endured only served to make you vindictive and bitter. Is there not any of my compassion alive in thee?”

“You are right mother, I am a bit vindictive. Can you not understand why?”

“Yes, I do understand. And I do not ask this boon just for him, but for me as well. Wilt thou not grant me my happiness as I have seen to yours?”

Aedon kept his eyes on Figol, and did not respond to the questions. Softening her voice, Nemira asked him.

“How is Izznet Aedon? Does she yet understand all that transpired?”

“She is beginning to I believe. She has many questions and though I have her answers, it is not within me to tell her what I have done.?

“And will she not understand that what thou did, was for love and compassion?”

“Would you understand mother? Do you understand all that I have done, to her, and to Figol?”

“I know thy heart my son. Perhaps better than you do. What gift wilt thou bestow on her Aedon?”

“Only that which she needs most and was for so long denied. The right to choose her path, and follow her heart and dreams?”

“And if this path leads her from thy side?”

“Then so be it.”

“And should this come to pass, you would not mourn the loss of her company?”

“Of course, I would dearly miss her mother; and I hope that when all is known, that she will forgive me and choose to stay. But no one, not even me will ever take from her again her right to govern herself.”

“Then you know what it feels like to be near, and yet apart from thy love.” She said smiling softly at him.

Shaking his head a bit, Aedon looked first at Nemira, and then to Figol still perched on the railing. He tried to think of more reasons not to grant her request, but in all truth, he longed to be free of the strain it took on him to hold Figol to his form. Standing, he said to them both.

“Quickly then, follow me.”

Leading the downstairs and out onto the staircase, they went down, and entered the classroom he had set up for Avalon. The stone floors and walls echoed with the power of the Gargoyle watcher. The stones placed around the room seemed to ring out voices of comfort and welcome to all who entered here. Moving to the red circle drawn upon the floor, he directed Nemira to take her place in the white one. And then, looked to Figol saying.

“Take your place in the circle of blue Father.”

Moving into place, Figol looked to Aedon, as their eyes met, he held the younger man in his gaze.

“Yes Figol, I know that if I do this I risk the Gathering knowing where to find me. But I have not hidden for them for many years, and am not about to start doing so now. So, if you want my help, keep your beak closed and let me work.”

To this, even Nemira could not Stifel her amusement. Looking around the room slowly, she turned back to Aedon saying.

“Thou hast built for her a full circle of power Aedon. Does she understand the force that can be arisen here?”

“She is older than up mother, as old as the foundations of the earth. I think she is well aware of what this circle means. And with the force of being the permeates this room, the power of earth is joined with wind, water and fire.”

Closing his eyes, Aedon allowed the flame within him to rise up and travel throughout his body. Around him, a soft glow of red began to build as small flames seemed to dance up his arms and around his head. He spoke no words allowed, but focused his thoughts on Nemira and her request. Within the circle of blue, Figol was held in place as around him and the room a wind swelled and encircled the four circles gaining in strength until neither the circles, nor those who stood within could be seen.

Time and years passed played upon Aedon’s mind, flooding his with thoughts and visions of years past, and within those visions, he was drawn to one vision as a moth is drawn to the flame. There upon a great battlefield he watched as he fought his final battle, and with that won, fell to the ground with all life drained from him. He heard the anguished cry of a young man, and then watched as Figol appeared before his body. Bending down, Figol lifted him, and wrapping him in his cloak of deep blue, vanished from sight. And it was in that moment that Aedon saw something he had long denied. Smiling to himself, Aedon calmed the fires and wind, and looked first towards Nemira, and then to the blue circle where Figol now stood, tired and naked. Reaching into his pack, Aedon withdrew his own cloak, and walking over, wrapped it around the man, as Nemira rushed to his side.

“Well, for good or for bad, it is done now father. And I think perhaps I have the answer I have long sought. Go now, both of you and walk the sands, and sail the tides. And when the moment moves you Figol, take to the sky in flight. That father, is my gift to you.”

Moving towards Aedon, Figol took his face into his hands, and touched his forehead to the youngers. Then turned and walked out the door. As she moved to follow Figol, Nemira stopped and turned back to where Aedon still stood in the red circle. Then walking towards him, kissed him softly on the cheek saying.

“I thank thee Aedon of Aethryvald. Thou hast given me what I have long sought. The only gift greater than having thee as my son. We shall dwell in the woods here, and upon the waters and air. And ever shalt we be near thee and thy line.”

Then turning, she walked out the door.

Aedon stood for a while in the red circle. And then, picking up his pack, walked out the door taking the paths that would lead him back to Connemara. He heart felt lighter as he walked, and somehow he was happier than he had been in many years. He had made his peace at last with Figol. Now, he must do the same with Izznet.

Last edited: