• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Discussion on the Independant Kingdoms

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings, everyone.

I've decided to begin this little thread so that we may begin discussing who will be available to represent their respective city-statues, duchies, and kingdoms. I've also begun it so that we might discuss political alliances between states, ideas for upcoming events, and what areas do and do not possess some claim to independance from the Britannian Crown.

I am compiling a list of city-statues and villages based on my own understanding of our shard and game lore, as well as current events. This is merely a rough draft, a precursor to an article I'm writing up, and will be continually updated as our discussion continues.

So, please begin to discuss.

The Kingdom of Britannia -

Old - Felucca the Old World; The Dark World.
New - Trammel the World of Virtue; The Kingdom of Britannia.

New Britain, The City of Compassion & Capitol of the Kingdom of Britannia
Old Britain, The Last Bastion of the True Britannian Faction
New Cove, The Tradeport of Britannia
New Vesper, The City of Industry
New Minoc, The Village of Tinkerers
New Yew, The Village of Druids
New Skara Brae, The City of Rangers
New J'helom, The Frontier City
New Serpents Hold, The Fortress City
New Moonglow, The City of Learning
New Magincia, The City of the Wealthy (Ruins)
New Haven, The City of the Young
Old Wind, The Secret City of Magi
Old Trinsic, The City of Paladins
Claimed by The Citizens of Old Trinsic, who consider themselves to be in allegience with the Kingdom of Britannia and remain faithful to the Crown.

Disputed Territories -

The Kingdom of Dawn

The Kingdom of Dawn is believed to have separated from Britannia during the early years of Lord British's Reign.

Although it was founded by Britannians, namely the Mages Council of the City of Moon and later by a crusading order known as the Guardians of Virtue; Dawnites have always felt that they were too often failed by the politicians and bureauocrats housed within the City of Britain. Dawn feels that it is better able to protect the rights and freedoms of its citizens, which would be infringed upon by a foreign government.

The Kingdom of Dawn claims a large swath of land in the northern regions of Felucca, including northern Samlethe, northern Vallachia, and the Bay of Lost Hope. They also possess an outpost in Trammel, an embassy in Occlo, and an embassy just outside of the City of Umbra.

The Village of Avalon

Avalon was a frontier city that never established ties to the Kingdom of Britannia, although the territory they built their village upon is certainly disputed by the Crown.

Relations between Britain and Avalon have been mostly amicable, if not friendly at times. While Avalon no longer possesses the military might to defend against intrusion, the Kingdom of Dawn has mandated that any intrusion upon their independance shall be met with the full weight of their protective might.

Avalon rest on a peninsula to the west of the Kingdom of Dawn. You must pass through Dawnite Territory if you wish to enter Avalon by land.

The Hordelands

The Hordeland is a small strip of territory north of the Kingdom of Dawn and east of the Village of Avalon, currently claimed by the Gulgeth Orc Clan. Gulgeth is believed to be in league with the Kingdom of Dawn and the Village of Avalon, and maintains its independance from the Britannian Crown.

The Village of Lumaria & The Lumarian Federation

The Lumarians once held far more amicable relations with the Empire of Akalabeth, and were even believed to have once been in league with the proto-Britannian Kingdom. A series of events, including the destruction of the City of Luminate (Vesper) has led to a long standing blood feud between the two peoples, therefore they maintain their independance and have no desire to come under the authority of the Britannian Crown.

The Village of Lumaria, also known to some as The Ravenshire, rests in the woodlands north of Vesper in Trammel.

The Queendom of Shieba

The Queendom of Shieba was an independant, separatist state that left the Kingdom of Britannia many years ago. Although they are said to have maintained amicable relations with the Kingdom of Britannia, the Queendom has mandated that they will bow to no foreign ruler, especially one who seems to have upsurped a position that he has no right to claim.

The Queendom lays to the north of Serpents Pass in Trammel.

The County of Berg

The status, and political leanings of the County of Berg are unknown at this time.

The Village of New Scythe

The Village of New Scythe is believed to be claimed by the Redcap Gang, and the Dark Tower. Scythe's political status is unknown. It was built on lands claimed by the Kingdom of Britannia, but it is unlikely that the coven of necromancers and their undead lackeys will profess loyalty to the Crown.

New Scythe was built surrounding the Shrine to the Principle of Chaos, and currently borders the Queendom of Shieba and Wolf Woods.

The City of New Wind

The City of New Wind has purportedly been claimed by House Fier, which also has laid claim to the Village of New Scythe.

The Village of Wolf Woods

The political status of Wolf Woods and its wolfborn citizens are currently unknown.

Wolf Woods borders the territory claimed by the Queendom of Shieba and the Village of New Scythe.

The Village of Hearthfire

The political status of Hearthfire Village and its citizens are currently unknown.

Hearthfire Village rests on an isle south of Luna, and is believed to be allied with that city-state. Its political status is likely tied up with the larger entity.

Marble Island Naval Base

The political status of the Marble Island Naval Community is currently unknown. While the isle currently rests on lands long claimed by the Britannian Crown, the denizens of the isle are believed to possess long standing ties to the Lumarian Federation.

Horseshoe Island

Horseshoe Island has long been the home to an infamous band of pirates and brigands known as the Cartel. Obviously, they do not recognize the authority of the Britannian Crown.

Horseshoe Island is a large island in the Bay of Brittany, and could concievably control trade between the mainland and the island city-states.

Occlo

Occlo, like Avalon, falls under the protection of the Kingdom of Dawn.

The City of New Trinsic

The status of New Trinsic is currently unknown, but disputed nevertheless.

Lord Elladan, believed by some to hold some sway with the upper echelons of Trinsic Government, has said that Trinsic shall never bow to the rule of Lord Casca. Trinsic, who's people have always been fiercely loyal to Lord British, may or may not agree with the crowning of Lord Casca.

Old Buccaneers Den & New Buccaneers Den

Buccaneers Den, like Horseshoe Island, has long been held by pirates and other lawless and chaotic entities. Although Britain might claim it as being within their territory, they would not recognize such a foreign government.

Old Nujel'm and New Nujel'm

The status of Nujel'm is mostly unknown.

I once read that in its original incarnation, Nujel'm was implied to be ruled by a Sultan, making it a Sultanate. Whether this is true or not is unknown.

Old Magincia & Old Moonglow

Old Magincia & Old Moonglow are believed to remain the bastions of the Council of Mages Rebellion, who feel that they were failed by Lord British. The Mages Council has long held a rebellious streak, which had resulted in the creation of Wind and Dawn.

The City-State of Luna

Luna is currently disputed, and its political leanings are for the most part unknown.

Some believe, including myself, that Luna was based on the Greco-Roman Kingdom of Olympus from Ultima I. It had also been independant all this time, with no lore suggesting that it came under the sway of the Kingdom of Britannia.

One factor in its independance, or dependance, would be the status of the many merchants who currently call the city home. Also, Ordo Malleus of the Church of Holy Light profess loyalty to Lord Casca, further complicating the political status of the City of Luna.

The Outpost & Monestary of Old Scythe

The Outpost currently belongs to the Ordo Malleus of the Church of Holy Light, making it a vassal of the City-Statue of Luna. Its political status remains unknown, but unlike its mother-stated, Old Scythe is believed to be allied to the Kingdom of Britannia.

Old Scythe rests on the edges of the Great Desert, within sight of the City-State of Umbra. The Monestary was built upon the ruins of Scythe, which once was held by the Dark Tower.

Independant -

The City-Statue of Umbra

Umbra is controlled by a coven of necromancers and witches, descended from the same people that once worshiped the Pharaoh Emperor of the Great Pyramid. Umbra has never held ties to the Kingdom of Britannia, and maintains a long standing feud with the City-State of Luna. Umbra is believed to have been based on the Kingdom of the Black Dragon from Ultima 1.

Umbra is believed to be allied with the Village of New Scythe, and the Dark Tower.

Ven Lor Reg

Ven Lor Reg, the City of Gargoyles, has always been recognized as an independant city outside the domain of the Kingdom of Britannia. Nevertheless, its citizens are believed to be close allies of the Britannians, who rescued them from the Dark Lord Exodus during the Third War of Darkness.

The Empire of Zento

The Empire of Zento has always been independant of Akalabeth and Britannia, known to have been based on the Kingdom's of Rondolin and Barataria from Ultima 1. Zento is also, according to recent lore, under the rule of an Empress.

Zento may or may not consider itself an ally to the Kingdom of Britannia.

T

Turdnugget

Old Bucs Den has been dead for years...Nothing to be disputed there.

And Horseshoe Island, Cartel as in SuperKen, Blackbeard, Mario etc etc... that Cartel? If so, I saw we just blow it up :danceb:

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
haha You're just jealous we get our own island.

We've settled here for nearly six years, we own or reside on most of the island, and the Cartel Guildhouse is here as well.

There have been a few instances of enemy guilds placing their houses on our island, but they have all been chased out. None of them have lasted longer than a week or two.

The island is frequented and used daily, and we often hold our Free for Alls and duels here. Perhaps our strongest claim to the island is the fact that other guilds, especially enemy guilds, already refer to Horseshoe Island as "Cartel Island".

Moreover, the island is our home, and we do not entertain fights here. The guildhouse is not used for "househiding" because we simply refuse to treat the island like another Yew. Enemy guilds can also attest to our unwillingness to fight on our own island.

And if I seem long-winded, my apologies. I'm planning to copy/paste this information for use at the trial; I'm just writing it all down now so I won't have to remember it later. =]

T

Turdnugget

I joke... I love you guys (most of the time) love killing you that is!! mwahahaha...

I'll have to find out where this island is so I can stalk your guys.

Whatever happend to your guildhouse outside Trinny gate?

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was just Vy's own house. After he stopped playing, we officially made the meet up spot on Horseshoe Island. But we already had houses and stuff there.

T

Turdnugget

Oh I see... I quit for a few years so i'm guessing that's when the change was made.

It was fun fighting you guys at that Trinny house.

I still remember a time when Tupac of SI was talking to some of your guys, and I came on my dexer and killed 3 of you :p

I must say, you guys are fun to fight... sometimes a bish due to your crosshealing...also a pain when all the sudden a swarm of Cartel comes in when it was even odds! *roar*

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Posted On The Dark Tower Forums:

Cymidei Fier said:
Scythe, Chaos Shrine, Wind (trammel), adjacent area [House Fier/Dark Tower]

Britain, Trammel which we have renamed Cascia we claim: the gutters, alleyways, West Britain Bank as The Redcaps...we'll generously leave Casca his castle if he hangs the Town Guards and agrees to admit us to his court and council.

Otherwise we will see no point in acknowledging him if he's unwilling to share wealth and power as a fellow tyrant and oppressor of the people and our brief support of him will come to an end and he will be overthrown.

The Dark Tower has treated his emissaries and court well and vigorously opposed Aino and the others who threaten him. We shall expect to be well rewarded and if we're not satisfied, he'll soon have no supporters at all as the populace utterly hates Casca.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh? That's a lot of information in the first post and previous thread. I still have no clue what the draw, purpose, or reason for this is.

Is everybody as confused as I am on where this is going? Perhaps a post to elaborate?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When Casca was made the King of Britannia, he proclaimed that all the small player-run villages who had become independant of the crown (Dawn, Avalon, and so fourth) must immidiately dissolve and swear fealty to the Britannian Crown.

This mostly applys to the roleplaying villages still on our shard, but also connects to some of the old political alliances and hierarchies that existed in years past.

Groups such as the Kingdom of Dawn and Lumaria refuse to kneel to a foreign ruler, therefore they are sending delegations to debate the issue in an open court.

Entheeya

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The City-State of Luna

Luna is currently disputed, and its political leanings are for the most part unknown.

Some believe, including myself, that Luna was based on the Greco-Roman Kingdom of Olympus from Ultima I. It had also been independant all this time, with no lore suggesting that it came under the sway of the Kingdom of Britannia.

One factor in its independance, or dependance, would be the status of the many merchants who currently call the city home. Also, Ordo Malleus of the Church of Holy Light profess loyalty to Lord Casca, further complicating the political status of the City of Luna.

Luna was a great city when it was first built many moons ago, however
the walls are turning yellow and red in some places.. The city is crawling
with murders and thieves working off counts in the safety of the city's
walls. The merchants make their living buying the things that murderers
and thieves bring to them and selling them for outlandish prices. The Merchants in Luna have enough money to bribe Lord Casca to leave
them alone.

Money drives everything in Luna, the people would make a mongbat their
king if someone paid them enough money.The merchants of Luna are NOT going to allow Casca to ruin a good thing for them..

C

Cymidei Fier

We could see about getting this page updated on Stratics: http://uo.stratics.com/shard/councils.shtml#baja

With all the territorial claims :) and the types of guilds we have now and the diversity of areas claimed. Regardless of what Lord Casca tells us to do we can still decide among ourselves who has what territory and put it on Stratics *sticks tongue out at Casca* since he's only interested in "historical claims".

According to the Shard's council pages which date back to 2002 the only surviving historical claimants appear to be: Dawn, Avalon, Queen Shieba's Alliance, Ravenshire Village and Heaven's Forge..and of course the Dark Tower but who is ultimately considered historic will be up to Lord Casca.