• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

a comparison for my Legends family

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always made it pretty clear that my home here on Legends was just about perfect for me, in 2D. I love our little world and the way it looks and reacts to our actions upon it.

I've been trying out the Stygian Abyss client, and have decided to give this one a much better shot than I ever gave, or ever would have given, Kingdom Reborn. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done here, but I've put together these two shots, one in our familiar 2D and one in SA so that those of you that are not even trying it might give it a try. After playing around with the size of the game window and the zoom control it comes pretty darn close to what is familiar and comfortable for me.

see what you think..........

and if you click on this image it gets slightly larger, but I'm not an image guru, so this is not the size that they are on my screen

N

NewThunder

Those two story statues look a bit blurry in the new client; perhaps you chould give them to me and let me lock them down in Luna to see if they look better there.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gonna have Draconi come over sometime next week and buff them out for me ;)

M

MoneyMaker

Nice shots, Dev. I think I can live with the new client, well other than a bit of color changes, but I am sure that will be tweaked along the way. (they are just in the beta stages, after all.)

A bit of a side note to those with the warhorses. They tend to disappear with the new SA client. It wasn't mine, but I thought I would pass the info along.
He did send in a bug report, and talked to a GM. (who informed him that it was not an intentional part of the SA client, and No they do not replace them. Of course we knew that.) So til there is a fix for it, its best not to take one outa the stable. (it disappeared on him when he removed it from stable, and control slots went to 0/5, then he tried to get it back in 2d but it was gone.)
I don't want everyone to be afraid to use the new client (which I do intend to give a shot, soon) Just be careful what you mess with. i.e., rares, one of a kind pieces, no longer spawning items, etc.
Someone will do it, but I would rather not be the one. :D

MageCruella

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Dev. I agree with Money. I can live with the new client. I can get around enough to stay sane (unlike KR) and make the changes that Ill need to say sane AND alive : )

L

Lord Urza

I think the new clients screen shot there looks better then the reg 2d client, I love the KR clients interface if it hadnt been for the patches being to big for me to download on dialup id prolly have stuck with KR. I really hope the SA patches are the same size as the 2d clients and ill def switch over if so. The grass looks so much better lol!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lord Urza :) the initial download and patch is a nightmare, would be best to do it when you really have something else (not on the computer!) to do ... hopefully, as you say, subsequent patches will be smoother and faster

I do not want the head cheerleader position, but I do want to urge everyone to give it a fair chance..... try it for more than a couple of hours, use the bug report feature ingame and tell them about every little thing that you find wrong or unappealing ... don't depend on someone else to report it, they may not care if your blood tile has turned purple ;)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The blur is a result of taking the original 2d and making it scalable so that you can zoom in and out to different levels (after KR's redraw - which for some reason did not attempt to match the original dimensions/appearance of things - was rejected by the player base, I doubt they could get funding to redraw all the game's art again).

The way I see it, if the player base can accept the concept of a new client, the art can be tinkered with over the coming years to slowly upgrade to higher resolution versions of the pixels everyone knows and loves as part of the regular maintenance.

(I have to admit that after looking at my world through KR for a year or so now, the old-graphics version of my homes are a bit jarring to look at - everything looks so small and grainy; but I'll probably manage to adapt again)

T

Tovladian Soltyr

Honest opinion, if they want to make a "3D" game then they should make one, start over from scratch with a whole new engine and leave UO alone.

Cause lets face it, all they are doing is adding more intense lighting and shadowing effects isn't making something "3D" it's just 2D with more black and white added into it giving it a blurred look and making it to where it gives you a headache. To me making it "3D" isn't what it needed to bring it back to life but maybe giving the 2D graphics more detail and spicing them up a little bit would have done just as good as well. Like when they brought in the Crimson/Platinum dragons, those looked really cool, why couldn't they just update the graphics of 2D and keep everyone happy?

UO honestly didn't need a face lift, it just needed some TLC.

M

MoneyMaker

How come I just knew that Uriah was gonna take that shot. :p

It was a dread, Dev.

A

Annienox

Okay as always I need some explaining for new things. We dl'ed the SA beta whatever it is. And after about some 4 hrs I was able to get on. Now I did not see what KR was like. The hubs put it on while I was shopping, took one look at it and said "Not gonna happen" and then took it off lol. Now I have seen some of the pics and such. The new look doesn't bother me so much but anything in 3d seems to trigger migranes for me so I don't ever play in 3d. Now is what I'm looking at on this new SA suppose to be 3d and then later we will have the option of 2d? What are they going to do about the things that are changed in color? Example the magical locked box that she shows above are a nice periwinkel and then back to gold in the new client. Also what about color graphics such as the beautiful neon Christmas boxes that they gave us. When I got on the SA client thingy they are UGLY! Will I still have the pretty boxes or are they gonna uglafy them forever? I got on UHALL and holy cats there is alot of stuff about SA on there and I don't think I can wade thru it all. Nor do I know who to believe outside of our lil Legends world, so I am turning to you for some answers. Thanks!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Annie, not sure you're gonna like this reply, and I need to tell you, it may not even be correct for you, but I'm pretty sure it's correct for me.

There are many things in the comparison shot up there that are differently colored in SA, and no, I don't much care for it. Problem is, someone on a different computer can look at all those things and see them in exactly the color they're supposed to be. I made sure of that last nite by asking everyone around me if they saw the fire colored plants, which they did, and I did not.... I saw default plain plants.

There's a function (feature, whatever...) in better graphics cards than I have called Transform and Lighting (or sumpin like that) and I think that's partly responsible for displaying those colors correctly, but not sure if that's the only thing that does it.

Things like gift boxes, wreaths, banners..... they all get saturated one color, and I don't know if that's part of the above problem or something else.

Not much help, I know... sorry Annie

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And Annie, I will say this with a straight face...It is only beta! seriously.
And before yall go on about how yeah, we were told that with KR, and look what happened, I for one can't believe they are silly enough to believe they can do that again and get away with it.

I feel certain, (may be wrong), but I feel taht if we seriously give this client a chance, they will continue to upgrade and add to it, with what we constructively ask for. There's no way a serious corporation would toss yet another client out tehre and let it go to waste the way they did the KRap client. (Sorry KR users :p) Had to do it.

And it's not 3d. Gamebryo can run 3d, but SA is not 3d. It's still 2d, just with some deeper art, different lighting, etc. So don't let anyone chase ya off talking about 3d, UO doesnt have a 3d client.

Please don't compare KR and SA too much. Same base client, totally different in how they run tho. I downloaded KR at open beta (one day before it was declared live) and ran around a bit, well, actually more of a mosey, since it wouldn't let me run, it was bad.
Okay, it's only beta...uninstalled it.
Sneaked back in a few months later after reading about all the improvements made to it, tried it again, and wished I hadnt wasted the bandwidth.
We cannot allow them to invest this much time and money and energy into a client we wont play. Play it, try it out, make it work for you as best you can.

*personal opinions*
I love a lot of the new art...Ophidians are awesome, Lizardmen are cool. Lava serpents crawl outta the ground when they spawn. Lava lizard, when ya view em from the side, actually stick their tongues out like the Komodo Dragons do...Some things I don't even recognize, they are so different...Swamp dragons aren't a big ungainly huge green blob anymore, they look like a fierce rideable dragon. The torches used to light up my houses dont have the fire so high and intense that it burns thru two floors...

I was very vocal in what I thought of KR, on these boards...to the point of getting several threads locked and posts deleted. This one is already miles ahead of where KR was when it was abandoned by the dev team. A little artwork that needs touched up can be done anytime in the future, long as there is an artist on the team. *nods to Grimm* It's beta,. report art bugs, but concentrate on the playability and functionality, get that worked out, and the art will take care of itself. The only thing I am having to use 2d for right now, is gardening. I am so blind I just cannot see that little - sign in SA, the one next to the watering icon. *grins*
But hopefullythat will get worked on too.

Try it out, give it a fair shot, and don't go into it with the mindset that its just KR part II.
It's really better.

*wonders why he got so loquacious* :blushing:

A

Annienox

*Glares at Dev* Don't you tell me you're not a Harry Potter fan. If you were you would know that Hermione says that to Harry on the 4th movie about Krum on the bridge. Do I need to get more detailed for you? Ok it means talkative. Yes I do learn somethings watching movies. Didn't know the word before that. I used gregarious in place of it. Woot add one more to the old vocab section of the brain.
Ok, well ty for the info. Yes I am tryin to give it a chance and no I'm not callin it KRII. But I REALLY don't like cool lookin things messed up. Yes the dragons rock! Much better. I just don't want to have to lose some cool things to get others. Sorry I know I'm locked in a time warp and I don't like change!! And Dev, please don't give my hubby any more reasons for tryin to buy any new comp equipment!! lol

L

Lord Urza

Yeah thats what i figure that the patches shouldnt be that bad for it, mostly just the initial download, i can allways download that at my friends house or something yup ima give it a whirl, but prolly not till after beta.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Glares at Dev* Don't you tell me you're not a Harry Potter fan. If you were you would know that Hermione says that to Harry on the 4th movie about Krum on the bridge. Do I need to get more detailed for you? Ok it means talkative. Yes I do learn somethings watching movies. Didn't know the word before that. I used gregarious in place of it. Woot add one more to the old vocab section of the brain.
Ok, well ty for the info. Yes I am tryin to give it a chance and no I'm not callin it KRII. But I REALLY don't like cool lookin things messed up. Yes the dragons rock! Much better. I just don't want to have to lose some cool things to get others. Sorry I know I'm locked in a time warp and I don't like change!! And Dev, please don't give my hubby any more reasons for tryin to buy any new comp equipment!! lol
totally off topic here, but the new Harry Potter, kinda sucked. It was a freaking snooze fest.

A

Annienox

totally off topic here, but the new Harry Potter, kinda sucked. It was a freaking snooze fest.
Well I was torn. I thought Dumbledor rocked but I felt it strayed from the book (either that or I really need to go back and read it again) some and I really left feeling the same as I did when I went and watched Lord of the Ring's second movie. I felt like I was left hanging. Oh well. I still enjoyed it. Was worth the $5 for the ticket

M

MoneyMaker

5 BUCKS!!!!! I need to find that theater!! I live out in the middle of nowhere, where usually things are cheaper than in the cities, but we pay 8 bucks for a movie. Not to mention the big rip of 5 bucks more for a small (I would call it sample size :cursing:) drink and popcorn.
Guess the only good part is that there is always seats available in the theater. (depressing, isn't it? :bored:)

G

grandpa otis

here a movie is FOUR BUCKS...... all movies, all times, all ages,,adult, seniors and kids,, and not only that but the hotdogs, popcorn and pop(soda to some) are ALL a DOLLAR !!!!!
yes $1.00 !!!!! for anything, place called Movies 10 check it out

M

MoneyMaker

I remember when I could watch a movie for $1, and I thought it was expensive at that time.

It just gets more and more depressing...........:bored:

Gotta go cheer myself up.
Think I will go eat more brownies, and blame it on the kids.:thumbsup:

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chrimeny. I live in Las Vegas, and my movies are 9.50$ and a large soda and small box of reeses pieces cost another 14.50$ And I got the movies every weekend....

T

Tovladian Soltyr

Wow did this thread ever get derailed :p, I still have yet to DL the SA client but then again it's been a while since I've actively played, not even the 3rd wave of ToT's was enough to get me wanting to log on daily *shrugs* maybe I'll get bored with the current things that are entertaining me and I'll be able to get hooked by UO again, just not at the moment lol, SA sure ain't a hooker for me as far as clients go, maybe when they intro the new content.

Omni...don't take my use of the word "hooker" out of context :p.

P

PCByproduct

I've always made it pretty clear that my home here on Legends was just about perfect for me, in 2D. I love our little world and the way it looks and reacts to our actions upon it.

I've been trying out the Stygian Abyss client, and have decided to give this one a much better shot than I ever gave, or ever would have given, Kingdom Reborn. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done here, but I've put together these two shots, one in our familiar 2D and one in SA so that those of you that are not even trying it might give it a try. After playing around with the size of the game window and the zoom control it comes pretty darn close to what is familiar and comfortable for me.

see what you think..........

and if you click on this image it gets slightly larger, but I'm not an image guru, so this is not the size that they are on my screen

Having not seen this new client, I can say that they have come very close to as smooth a transition as they ever have. I still prefer the older client...of course... HI DEVILSOWN!!!! Miss you!! *waves* ... :)

P

PCByproduct

Chrimeny. I live in Las Vegas, and my movies are 9.50$ and a large soda and small box of reeses pieces cost another 14.50$ And I got the movies every weekend....
Omni, stop crying! Movies here are $20 if you're lucky! How's the kiddos? :)