• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) A caution on Facebook

• Thread starter Batlin of Legends
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Batlin of Legends

I'm just reminding everyone here to make sure that your email password is different from your Facebook password, don't post any personal information, and to re-check all of your privacy settings.

Last night, my wife's email account and Facebook account were both hacked. The hackers, posing as my wife, claimed that her and I were mugged at gun point in London and are asking for $1500 to be sent to them. Her cell phone was ringing non-stop this morning asking if she was ok.
The real worry is her credit card recipts, bank statments, and who knows what else in her Inbox that this hacker(s) may have gotten.

Google quickly shut down the email account and forwarded it over the the FBI.
Facebook has been no help at all. The only reply they gave her was to re-check her password and that she was probably entering it wrong. Unbelievable, considering how much money they're making, that they don't know how to do anything in situations like this.
The moral of the story is to protect yourself on Facebook as best as you can and to make sure you have good strong passwords. Stay safe everyone!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seems a lot of people had trouble in London yesterday.... my cousin's kid got into the very same predicament, held up at gunpoint.... where's a bobby when ya need one... he hadda let everyone know on Facebook, in large letters, that they should not send him money

funny that he did not mention hack, tho... I'll have to ask if any of his passwords were changed

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nooooo 3rd party aps.

As an aside, any forum names, passwords should be unique and certainly never ever the same as any account log in info.