• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

90 Day stuff - M&G 02/08/16

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So there you go. My opinion hasn't changed. I'm just accepting the way things are. It is, afterall, a business first.
Yeah, it makes sense. If it wasn't something substantial I imagine they would just change the rule, especially with the stated dislike of those who abuse it by the head lady.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take 10 full time paying accounts to 90 day...$1,200-$1,300 becomes $520. Give us a compelling reason not to!
I think the obvious question would be why are you paying monthly as opposed to every 90 for accounts you don't play on regularly?

The obvious adverse consequence would be that you can't use those characters anymore. I really don't think many people pay full time for accounts that are just house holders.

Corwyn

Lake Superior Tabloid Journalist
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think the obvious question would be why are you paying monthly as opposed to every 90 for accounts you don't play on regularly?
This question brings up a matter of personal morality, which will change person-to-person. As the rule stands now, it's perfectly acceptable to do it. I personally wouldn't go that route because *I* don't think it's proper to do it. That in and of itself doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scope of things. Paying once every 90 days breaks no rule, but it doesn't feel right to me. Others feel similarly to me, while still others feel it's fine.

Until EA deems it necessary to change the rule, or as I believe, until EA decides to risk it, opinions will vary accordingly.

Honestly, I think the topic has run its course. I'll still post though, since I love a good (and respectful) debate.

EDIT: One thing I didn't touch on is that there are those that need to use the 90 system for whatever reason (loss of job, medical emergency, etc.). This to me is what the system was originally supposed to protect, and it's fine for that purpose. Too bad there isn't a way to know who is using it for the "right" reason and who is using it to save money on pixels.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The obvious adverse consequence would be that you can't use those characters anymore. I really don't think many people pay full time for accounts that are just house holders.
your very wrong. id say the majority of people doing the 90 day do it just for the house. we're talking mostly people with 5 to 50 accounts that play the 90 day game. im sure some people with only 1 to 3 accounts do it during periods of absence from the game, but the main issue is those with double digit accounts. no one has that many accounts for the characters.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But: playing the 90 day game, 4 acccts x 4 payments a year = 16 payments per year x 12.99 = $207.

Not playing the 90 day game, o accts x 0 payments per year = $00.00

Cuz I'm not gonna pay $155 a year per account to have storages closets (which is what most of mine are :p)

Not threatening anything, not whining or complaining...it just doesn't make sense to me that they would want to close the part time accounts *shrugs*

Money is money
Maybe this will make sense to you those 90 day accounts holding those castles, keeps, luna housing etc that will keep standing while the 90 day policy is in place. If the 90 day policy is done away with the people who cannot afford to pay the regular price for their accounts will turn them off, and let the houses will decay, and fall opening up the land for house placers to place housing to sell. Not everyone see it this way, They just might want the plot to place bigger housing.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail folks !

I guess I'm coming into this discussion a bit late. I've been playing World of Warcraft lately, but had to come back over to UO and renew some of my accounts. Didn't want any of my houses to fall !

Thought I'd check UHall and see what folks are talking about. Imagine my surprise to see this thread and the older, locked one. The amazing thing is I come to find out that I am a low down, dirty, rotten exploiter, cheater, and abuser. Hell, might as well throw in scammer while we're at it.

Woops, hold on a sec....

Sorry, I'm back. Had to go kick the dog, yell at my kids, beat the wife, abuse my mistress, cheat on my taxes, park my car in a handicapped parking spot, and deflate a few footballs for next season. I know, being a cheater is a lot of work!

All joking aside, I just can't seem to understand the problem here. When I run around on Atlantic I see plenty of small open locations. Do folks feel like they are missing out on prime housing locations? Like Luna, Yew moongate, or castles and keeps? All of those come open often enough. Is it more vendetta against perceived cheaters in general? I just don't get is.

After reading all of this, I feel like I have to justify myself. Which I never felt the need of before. So this is what I've came up with. I'm looking at the 90 day cycling as a benefit. I get to pay UO/EA/Broadsword $38.97 (plus taxes) a year for the benefit of having another house. Honestly, if they had a one time fee of say $40 or $50 to have an additional house on my main account I'd gladly pay the fee.

I told my buddy that I've been playing WoW about this and he couldn't believe it. He is amazed that anyone even plays UO anymore and reminded me that in WoW you can have one garrison per character. As many as you can have on an account or server. Granted garrisons are instanced and customization is pretty limited, so it's not that same as UO.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think a lot of people will jack in if they reduce the 90 day policy....90 days flies by...to short if anything...maybe make it 120 days instead?? better yes??

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am in nature a moralistic soul and would have difficulty jumping onto the 90 day cycle. I understand this game isn't just for those that want to have fun, but has to cater to those more concerned about their own pockets. Am i overpaying? Yes, but my conscience and these posts are influencing my choice. Life events might change my position, but as of now, I am an idiot that believes it is the ethically proper stance. I just wish Mesanna and her team would give the good guys a little boost over the advantage takers.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So.... i pay for every month and dont let my accounts lapse, mainly because i dont want the hassel or the risk. I didnt log into UO for over a year and the year before that not very often, but kept my subscription active during all that time just to keep my houses up for both my accounts.

So if paying every 90 days is legit, can we get an option on the subscription page to pay once every 90 days??? If its acceptable, make it an official payment option. it would allow easier / more secure management of inactive accounts.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do the folks who are pro this change really think there will be an influx of people coming back to the game ? I really question this. I just don't comprehend why anyone who wants to play UO wouldn't because they can't place a house?

As for the few who stated they would open up accounts to hold another house, why aren't you doing this now?

There are plenty of open housing spots available, even on Atlantic. And even the prime locations are open or available on many shards.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
your very wrong. id say the majority of people doing the 90 day do it just for the house. we're talking mostly people with 5 to 50 accounts that play the 90 day game. im sure some people with only 1 to 3 accounts do it during periods of absence from the game, but the main issue is those with double digit accounts. no one has that many accounts for the characters.
That's what I was saying. She/he was suggesting that people with 10 accounts should switch them all to the 90 days system to make a point or something because what's there to lose? I was saying the odds that you have 10 full time paid that AREN'T mostly house holders is pretty low, so you likely be losing access to your characters, as generally I think people only keep accounts they use regularly open.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do the folks who are pro this change really think there will be an influx of people coming back to the game ? I really question this. I just don't comprehend why anyone who wants to play UO wouldn't because they can't place a house?

As for the few who stated they would open up accounts to hold another house, why aren't you doing this now?

There are plenty of open housing spots available, even on Atlantic. And even the prime locations are open or available on many shards.
the problem is if your playing, your going to play atlantic. the other shards just arent sustainable and very few players other than those who are already there would find the extremely low population appealing.

then theres atlantic. yes, you can place many houses there. its actually not even as full as it was a few years ago.

the main thing on atlantic is people want a good house. or a keep. or a castle. to do this you have to pay alot. 3billion gold for a castle just isnt realistic for most people. people have 90 day holder accounts for many reasons, but one of the reasons is to be able to hold out longer for higher prices on housing. its not just an issue of space, its an issue of overall price for plots already there. so plots are held just for the possility of banking if the small house next to it goes idoc so they have a chance at a castle. so its alot more complicated that just "theres not enough housing"

just my take on things

i think its very stupid we have all the empty shards but people complain about housing costs / availabilty, but were dealing with what the game has become. and that reality is that people want population. population is on atlantic. the abuse of the 90 day system leads to price-gougeing atlantic real estate.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This question brings up a matter of personal morality, which will change person-to-person. As the rule stands now, it's perfectly acceptable to do it. I personally wouldn't go that route because *I* don't think it's proper to do it. That in and of itself doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scope of things. Paying once every 90 days breaks no rule, but it doesn't feel right to me. Others feel similarly to me, while still others feel it's fine.

Until EA deems it necessary to change the rule, or as I believe, until EA decides to risk it, opinions will vary accordingly.

Honestly, I think the topic has run its course. I'll still post though, since I love a good (and respectful) debate.

EDIT: One thing I didn't touch on is that there are those that need to use the 90 system for whatever reason (loss of job, medical emergency, etc.). This to me is what the system was originally supposed to protect, and it's fine for that purpose. Too bad there isn't a way to know who is using it for the "right" reason and who is using it to save money on pixels.
I mean I agree, but the notion was that the person was saying (to force the devs into action I guess?) that they should switch all their full-time paid accounts to 90-day accounts. That's what I was commenting on.

Though honestly it being immoral is questionable. No one official said it's against the rules or that people shouldn't do it. It FEELS exploity (I personally think it is) but it's never been put on the list of things you can't do, or even shouldn't do.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I mean I agree, but the notion was that the person was saying (to force the devs into action I guess?) that they should switch all their full-time paid accounts to 90-day accounts. That's what I was commenting on.

Though honestly it being immoral is questionable. No one official said it's against the rules or that people shouldn't do it. It FEELS exploity (I personally think it is) but it's never been put on the list of things you can't do, or even shouldn't do.
So you are I are in total agreement then. :party:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am in nature a moralistic soul and would have difficulty jumping onto the 90 day cycle. I understand this game isn't just for those that want to have fun, but has to cater to those more concerned about their own pockets. Am i overpaying? Yes, but my conscience and these posts are influencing my choice. Life events might change my position, but as of now, I am an idiot that believes it is the ethically proper stance. I just wish Mesanna and her team would give the good guys a little boost over the advantage takers.
But see, the thing is the dev teams have known about this workaround by players for... forever, and never once came out and said: "hey don't do that". Messana acted like she put her foot in her mouth calling them cheaters, and didn't want to talk about it. If it were really the bad thing to do, and were really hurting the game, wouldn't one of the dozen dev leads we've had over the years said so and/or taken actions?

Why should player see it as bad when the dev team doesn't care? Why should players be looked down upon for taking advantage of something no one ever told them not to do, despite knowledge of the method being ubiquitous?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you are I are in total agreement then. :party:
Yes, I think it's an exploit, but clearly one that must offer more positive than negative. I personally wouldn't care if they got rid of it, but I also don't think it's a big deal at all. Certainly nothing to start a letter writing campaign about.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem is if your playing, your going to play atlantic.
Clearly many people play shards that aren't Atlantic. I have never played Atlantic a day in my life (nor shall I) outside of claiming a holiday gift or something. I played LS, Yamoto, and Siege.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the problem is if your playing, your going to play atlantic. the other shards just arent sustainable and very few players other than those who are already there would find the extremely low population appealing.

then theres atlantic. yes, you can place many houses there. its actually not even as full as it was a few years ago.

the main thing on atlantic is people want a good house. or a keep. or a castle. to do this you have to pay alot. 3billion gold for a castle just isnt realistic for most people. people have 90 day holder accounts for many reasons, but one of the reasons is to be able to hold out longer for higher prices on housing. its not just an issue of space, its an issue of overall price for plots already there. so plots are held just for the possility of banking if the small house next to it goes idoc so they have a chance at a castle. so its alot more complicated that just "theres not enough housing"

just my take on things

i think its very stupid we have all the empty shards but people complain about housing costs / availabilty, but were dealing with what the game has become. and that reality is that people want population. population is on atlantic. the abuse of the 90 day system leads to price-gougeing atlantic real estate.
Those are all good points @Smoot. I'm going to take a guess here and say that I doubt the folks who own "good" houses are going to let them just drop. And if any do, they'll be grabbed by the serious house placers anyway and still sold for 3B plus (for castles, Luna, and a few other spots maybe). Honestly, 18x18's aren't hard to come by on any shard, even Atlantic.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why should player see it as bad when the dev team doesn't care? Why should players be looked down upon for taking advantage of something no one ever told them not to do, despite knowledge of the method being ubiquitous?
This.

They programmed it, we play it. We are changing nothing, hacking nothing, just playing it like it is coded...nothing immoral here, nothing to really see or talk about. Altho....as much respect as I have for Capt. Lucky, I dont see how any means I use to pay for my accounts affects his dime. *shrugs*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those are all good points @Smoot. I'm going to take a guess here and say that I doubt the folks who own "good" houses are going to let them just drop. And if any do, they'll be grabbed by the serious house placers anyway and still sold for 3B plus (for castles, Luna, and a few other spots maybe). Honestly, 18x18's aren't hard to come by on any shard, even Atlantic.
This. All those dream spots that everyone seems to think will come open if this rule changes wont be there. They will be immediately snatched up by the professional placers. And you still will have to pay that 3 bil for it :p

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I tried to stay out of this, but this is what I think!!!
If people are complaining because they cant plot a Castle or a Luna house on Atlantic shard, is one thing...
This topic make me totally guilt, but than again, lets make some math!

I have on average 25 Active accounts! and than I have about 50 accounts on cycle!!
25 active accounts = $300 Month , if you will count as $12 a month!
50 Accounts would be $600 x 4x a year = $2400 a year?? that I pay to hold houses on ALL shards that I do Idocs*?

* So I have shard shield to every single shard and I hold houses on most of them; Some of them I have to talk to a "NPC" because the Shard is DEAD in that case , I have a wasted Shard Shield to go to a place that there is No one playing at all!!, but I just used as an example!

my point is , I pay for 50 of those accs ($2400 /year) only for the purpose of holding houses Everywhere, I am not counting all the houses on my main accs, my opinion that paying every 90 days, those houses will stay there as storage, is helping me and helping UO as well, otherwise, I would just cancel and drop all those houses and I no longer need to pay for them at all....

I can be wrong on my opinion, but I wouldn't care less to turn them off and drop all houses, no one will benefit at all.... unless you are so bad in this game and you cant place a Castle on Formosa, Lake Austin, Mugen and the list can go on and on...

Do I need 80 Accounts to be active?? Heck no, do I need 25 to be active? Heck Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
who knows. i will say this tho. take atlantic luna houses. 5bil for a 7by. 30bil for a max storage. sometimes they do go idoc, and im willing to bet that alot of these "good" houses that go idoc, would do so about 3 times faster than if the owner only pays every 90 days.

also, lets face it. high prices and the ability of players to pay high prices is signs of a healthy economy. so theres that too.

on a side note, i think the whole broadsword billing system is outdated and not optimized for profits to begin with. the 90 day housing cycle is the last of their worries. it could all be solved with a professionally optimized free to play pay structure with special care taken towards housing (since housing is obviously one of the only aspects of UO that makes it unique from other games)

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But see, the thing is the dev teams have known about this workaround by players for... forever, and never once came out and said: "hey don't do that". Messana acted like she put her foot in her mouth calling them cheaters, and didn't want to talk about it. If it were really the bad thing to do, and were really hurting the game, wouldn't one of the dozen dev leads we've had over the years said so and/or taken actions?

Good and bad are subjective views depending on your in game goals and how you play. The players using scripts to speed or hack tiles, with multi-boxing looters/placers at idocs, and lag inducing multi-boxers at EM events, scripted 23/7 resource farmers, book dropping RL gold sellers... are they playing fairly and within the rules? To me, they are bad for my game, but most indications by the Devs is such actions are acceptable and status quo. Change can't happen without dialogue. I guess I am asking for a perk for playing by the rules and not for using advantages for financial gains including the 90 day circumvention.

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe this will make sense to you those 90 day accounts holding those castles, keeps, luna housing etc that will keep standing while the 90 day policy is in place. If the 90 day policy is done away with the people who cannot afford to pay the regular price for their accounts will turn them off, and let the houses will decay, and fall opening up the land for house placers to place housing to sell. Not everyone see it this way, They just might want the plot to place bigger housing.
not everyone would let their house fall. i would take the opportunity to clean out my house and sell it.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So here is some math.
I have 4 accounts that will always stay on. No matter what these accounts are staying on till the end of time.
Then I have about 10 accounts that i can cycle at any point in time.
Right now im cycling 5 of them to hold housing spots in a keep or castle spot.
If UO were to change its policies and not allow me to cycle I would simple not open those accounts.
12 months in a year, 5 accounts opened every 3 months. 5 x $12.00 = $60.00 every 3months x 4 times a year = $240.00 a year just to hold some houses.
This is amazing for UO. These accounts literally take up no server space other than the house.

This price will only go up if i want to hold more houses for castle/keep placements. at my max which is 10 accounts being cycled thats $480.00 a year to hold a couple houses.

Now just think about the fact that im not the only one that does this... there are several other people that do it for various reasons. I have talked with most of these people, and if UO changed its policies we all agreed we would be forced to shut down those accounts permanently.

Just an estimate it ends up being about 20 grand a year UO would lose out on, just because some people believe its abusing the system.
I do not call this abuse, I call it supporting a game and getting a little bit of return from it.
Not to mention, that sometimes especially in @Podolak 's case these houses are used to support the community. Like his fel yew gate house that he offers to hold a tele porter to get to your house from. For me i used some of the houses to do Player events.

90 cycle abuse? Not in the slightest, if anything its charity.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This question brings up a matter of personal morality, which will change person-to-person.
It also goes to game design. My kids will step away from some of their 'pay to play' games and feel like they are jumping right back in without losing anything after being focused at school for 90 days (or longer).

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

just my take on things

i don't agree with this. alot of people stay on the lower population shards for a reason. i would never move to atlantic. i like sonoma and chessy just fine. my favorite hunting spots are usually unoccupied. and i typically haven't had issues with lag. etc.

Corwyn

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i don't agree with this. alot of people stay on the lower population shards for a reason. i would never move to atlantic. i like sonoma and chessy just fine. my favorite hunting spots are usually unoccupied. and i typically haven't had issues with lag. etc.
Yeah, I'm still on Lake Superior, even though Atlantic would be much better socially. Lake Superior just feels like home.

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
they should just sell increased storage at the store" like more than they have now"...would stop people from holding so many spots "i think that was what the op was annoyed at...i just skimmed this"....just sell xtra storage ...like allot of it, charge people for it on the uo store, make money...make players happy...win win.... lol!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A lot of people do the 90 day thing for whatever reason and it honestly isn't any of my business.

There are FAR worse things people do in-game that does far greater damage... and I'm not talking about someone scripting skills... I'm talking about duping, scamming, hacking and true cheating and like being rude and horrible to new and returning players... Ripping off other players in scams hurts the game as there are literally thousands of players who have been scammed losing so dearly they rage quit and will NEVER return. EA has the stance that actually BENEFITS the scammer and not the victim... while 99% of the rest of gaming companies take a stance against scammers and will remove them from their games.... here they are rewarded for being an ass... go figure...

We all know dupers still exist and are there... but in all the 18+ years nothing much gets done about it. As for scripters who have done tons of damage to the economy they have tried to stop them. I know that Mesanna and company have tried to stop the UOanything for sale spam bots that spam every shard constantly and drop 8 million books all over the shards yearly... but so far to no avail.... truth of that matter is if it weren't actually profitable (as in if players didn't pay them) they wouldn't do it... but obviously the tactic works or he wouldn't do it. Personally I make it my "mission" to constantly pick up his crap from in front of my Luna house. If other folk in Luna did the same I am sure it might help deter the behavior... maybe but it might be as futile as Mesanna spending every day deleting the accounts when they log in at Haven... every 10 min.

They tried to do Punkbuster which made people go up in arms because they didn't want spyware spying on their computer... which in ways I don't blame people. I don't like people having access to things on my computer either... but many do allow it for the use of steam and many other things that do monitor what you are doing. But the uproar over that was almost bigger than the uproar you get anytime anyone mentions doing away with the CC. Which IMO the CC is responsible for 90% of the problems currently in-game but you don't see me starting 15 posts on Stratics in an effort to get rid of the CC... I decided long ago that if the DEVs had been serious about stopping the cheating and such that the certain websites that cater to cheating and giving out codes and programs to enable it would have LONG since been shut down... but since that hasn't happened... and the CC is still around with all the cheat programs out there that use it... then well... there you have it.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thats basically what i said. the players already there like it. but in truth, do you think someone coming back to the game after 10 years, remembering a populated shard, or a new player who sees the game for the first time, thinking this was a game with a healthy population when they see an empty shard?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am all for 90 days. It is all that decay nonsense that needs be done with.
90 days then everything becomes released when the house goes into like new state.
The plot decays as normal. The stuff becomes property of whom ever finds it first.

Or it decays. *shrugs*

The stuff is gone and the plot decays. Game goes on.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I fail to see is how this gives you the right to tell EA/Broadsword how to run its business....
Are you a major stockholder?
If not ..GET OFF THE CROSS someone needs the wood...
Now as for......
Larisa and many in the same boat would have long ago left the game had it not been for the 90 day grace period. Thank the UO gods she was able to stay!
Our men and women in the military, some play UO. If you have ever know any of them you will quickly learn they answer to a higher authority when it comes to their free time and ability to address simple things like billing troubles. 90 days can mean the difference to them. Its the original reason we have 90 day grace.
This also goes for those of us who have had trouble with CC's (date changes pin problems, id codes etc) billing management not updating, the Origin store not having codes or not excepting payment for more then 1 transaction that locks up both the CC and the buying account.
Try to tell your bank your CC wont work due to a security lock out ....it is not fun. Then go tell EA customer service the same... more fun....NOT.
These actions while what to most seem like small things take time.... a lot of this time is in waiting for EA to get off its tush... and banks listening rather then putting you on hold for an hour. And you still don't have the bloody codes to update your account(s).

There is also something that has needed to be said about this and one has addressed it but you do over look the facts...
Before the bubble burst and many of the people in the usa lost jobs, homes, and their freedom to enjoy the game, paying for a few accounts was not a big deal. I know people who had multi accounts it was normal... space and shard play was more stiffer then we have it now.
Yet You stand there bold as brass and claim because jobs were lost, money is tight, and time ...well time limits us all.
That they don't deserve to try their best to keep playing the way they have for not months but over a decade of UO even if it means to shuffle what can be afforded as to not have to quit playing. I'd rather see them pay 4 times a year on some then loose them totally because you feel you have the right to boss the Dev into making a stand YOU feel is correct.

Sir...
Get off my sand dune.....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well like I've had to remind people in the past... I'm VERY glad your life is so perfect that you have never had to suffer or wonder where your next meal might be coming from or if you would have a roof over your head next month... but some of us KNOW what this is like. And those of us that do appreciate knowing that if some unseen problem arises we are safe in knowing that for at least 90 days we don't have to worry about our account and losing all that we love in UO. Because I know like many others my friends in UO have been there for me through losing both my parents, the last of my grandparents, troubles with my health, my children and many other things... it would seriously break my heart to lose the stability of UO and my friends here and community.

Losing your stuff might not be a big deal to some of you... but for some of us it would be a game breaker. The heartbreak would be too much to ever come back from. I've known people to use the 90 days after major motor-vehicle accidents left them unable to sit up let alone play. After cancer wiped them out to the point they just couldn't sit at the computer long... and many other reasons including the need to move to take care of dying family members and many other reasons we put our own lives on hold for someone else. Just saying and I will say the one thing that I always leave folk with.... "Do NOT judge others lest ye be Judged... and let those who are without sin cast the first stone." Two of the most important things I took from the Holy Bible. Until you have walked a mile in someone elses shoes you have no business telling them how they should run their lives...

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes yes I too Have done the 90 day House Storage. I paid 90 days back when people was using the Bugged Back to brit Campaign houses that never decayed for storage they got years of not paying...still are a few on Atlantic. But for those of you complaining About wanting a Keep or Castle ..Then saying Well 3 bil Gold for a castle isn't Affordable ....But you can afford to pay for 8 accounts open full time ? Seems To me People are just mad about not having the skill or know how or dedication Like Those of us that are the Hardcore idocers that Hold the houses to upgrade to keeps & castles to sell So the People Can Eventually get that dream house they wanted on UO. The Trammel Yew Gate Castles and the Felluca One All 3 of them I placed and they took an average of 5-6 years of holding houses to upgrade them.

I also know this Cool guy that lives on Social Security That likes Playing UO & helping players out by having Small plots all over Atlantic at Every dungeons Trammel & Felluca Sides with Teleporters and Resurrection Ankhs so you can get around All of UO through his houses. This wouldn't be possible with out the 90 Day system ..is he a cheater too By doing a service to the people Of Atlantic ? If you Think so Then don't use Crystal Elf's Transporter plots.

All I do in UO is IDOCs I don't PVM or PVP ..I do houses & vendoring idoc loot ... I have helped Friends and Guildies Get house, keeps & castles. Its all part of this Crazy Game called Ultima Online ..

Yes There is a lot stuff Wrong But there is ALOT of stuff that is right. I don't think the Dev's have a Magic wand they can wave over the servers to fix stuff. they are dealing with almost 20 year old code now and at times I bet the are really over whelmed with just how much work they have to do. So Lets Stop whining about stuff over & over They know what the problems are we don't need to :bdh:. There are so many max Storage plots open on Atlantic no one can cry there isn't any house spots & more are falling every week. Instead of crying about not being able to place a prime house ...just Buy one. Seriously There are A lot for Sale right now on Atlantic Just run around I'm sure you'll see them!!! Unless you want to make Atlantic Like one the other Shards that is only on life support due to the Scroll Farmers ...

That's just My opinion Like it or not ....:pirate::violin:

Last edited:

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
who knows. i will say this tho. take atlantic luna houses. 5bil for a 7by. 30bil for a max storage. sometimes they do go idoc, and im willing to bet that alot of these "good" houses that go idoc, would do so about 3 times faster than if the owner only pays every 90 days.

also, lets face it. high prices and the ability of players to pay high prices is signs of a healthy economy. so theres that too.

on a side note, i think the whole broadsword billing system is outdated and not optimized for profits to begin with. the 90 day housing cycle is the last of their worries. it could all be solved with a professionally optimized free to play pay structure with special care taken towards housing (since housing is obviously one of the only aspects of UO that makes it unique from other games)
I'm not sure I agree on the first point, at least as far as Atlantic Luna houses go. You're talking $1,000 for a 7x7 and much more for a max storage Luna house. If I owned an Atlantic Luna house (I don't), there is no way in heck I'd even let that thing get close to going into any stage of decay.

I agree on the second point and totally throw my hat in on the third point. IMO, your third point is a much bigger issue than the 90 day housing "issue". How many posts have we seen about folks trying to regain an old account, who has to email Messana to get it all figured out? How many more don't even bother going that far? I would much rather see dev time going to fix this and helping to bring back players than anything else.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure I agree on the first point, at least as far as Atlantic Luna houses go. You're talking $1,000 for a 7x7 and much more for a max storage Luna house. If I owned an Atlantic Luna house (I don't), there is no way in heck I'd even let that thing get close to going into any stage of decay.

I agree on the second point and totally throw my hat in on the third point. IMO, your third point is a much bigger issue than the 90 day housing "issue". How many posts have we seen about folks trying to regain an old account, who has to email Messana to get it all figured out? How many more don't even bother going that far? I would much rather see dev time going to fix this and helping to bring back players than anything else.
I'm fairly certain there are literally dozens of people every month who attempt to "come back to UO" who for whatever reason can't get through the stupid account management website and get their accounts turned back on... many more who for whatever reason can't update or change their CC can't buy gametime through the EA/Origin store give up and after the house falls say F it and never return... don't know how many more would like to try UO but find the process to get a paid account such a pain in the *** that they just say F it and never try.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not going to get into a pointless arguement, but i do keep up with prices (especially because ive considered buying a small luna house) and have seen 4 atlantic luna houses go idoc and fall in the past year that i can remember. just providing info on what ive personally experienced.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
I'm fairly certain there are literally dozens of people every month who attempt to "come back to UO" who for whatever reason can't get through the stupid account management website and get their accounts turned back on... many more who for whatever reason can't update or change their CC can't buy gametime through the EA/Origin store give up and after the house falls say F it and never return... don't know how many more would like to try UO but find the process to get a paid account such a pain in the *** that they just say F it and never try.

uhm, I help about 4 or 5 Every week, Normally I give them my cel or skype and I teach them how to do, I will try again to make a little guide, it is "not that hard" , but involve like 3 or 4 different steps and about 2 or 3 Master secret question puzzles. I agree, should be soooo simple, like it was back in 1999 lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good and bad are subjective views depending on your in game goals and how you play. The players using scripts to speed or hack tiles, with multi-boxing looters/placers at idocs, and lag inducing multi-boxers at EM events, scripted 23/7 resource farmers, book dropping RL gold sellers... are they playing fairly and within the rules? To me, they are bad for my game, but most indications by the Devs is such actions are acceptable and status quo. Change can't happen without dialogue. I guess I am asking for a perk for playing by the rules and not for using advantages for financial gains including the 90 day circumvention.
No they aren't playing fairly witin the rules, it's been directly stated they aren't playing within the rules. Again, the "playing by the rules" here are pretty much all in your subjective view, because unlike scripting and hacking, and all that, they never said you can't do it, or that you shouldn't do it, or that you will be punished for doing it. There is no rule against it, so technically you are playing by the rules doing it just as much as you aren't.

Regardless, they DID say they wanted to give people with consecutive subs a bonus, so you get your wish. :D

And if you are worried about housing because of this, just be glad you don't play on a shard where ALLL the other shard players can come put a second house, never use it, and permanently take up a space without even playing there, like we do. :(

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
@WootSauce

Its no exploit, it is how this system is supposed to work.
Its not cheating, it is how this system is supposed to work.
If you don't want it that way, change it but be aware that you will lose alot of subscription money by that.

1. Why should I pay "full" for an account that I do not even use "except" for storage. I would rather like to see
them sell something like a house repair kit via Store than even consider abandoning the current system or open up
more bank space+housespace upgrades in store

2. This game just has so many ways to fill up your house storage quickly. Be it the magic item generation system,
rares, semis, rubble, holiday stuff..the list could go on. Plus if you want to play on different servers you will
need a house there too...

3. If you can do with one house, good for you, I can't and alot people have more than one house

4. People losing houses and all their gear by that has been a good complete quit reason for some people in the
past. So shortening the cycle would result in that too

5. People will cut down houses and lose interest. I definately would not have that many different houses on
different servers and by that also not play on different servers. A good way to force people to play on less
servers and make them die out quicker...

On a 90 day cycle you pay around
34.50€ per house/per year
172.50€ for 5 houses/per year
345€ for 10 houses/per year

On a 30 day cycle:
69€ per one house/p.a.
345€ for 5
690€ for 10

I do not consider me having around 8 houses (additionally to my main account that runs all year - YES ALL YEAR!!!)
leeching on someone like vermin, that is utter bs.
With all those F2P games around you really want to make this model more expensive for players while calling them
exploiters for doing something that is within the rules. You will scare off new players and players that aren't
millionaires, who maybe have a family they have to care for too. I don't get how players put all their time and
effort into call other players cheaters and exploiters and trying to worsen the game experience for the whole.
You should rather invest your time in organizing events or trying to be really constructive and not destructive
like now...

Bethany_lg

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems to me there are much bigger issues that need addressed before this one, but instead of changing the 90 day grace period, it seems like changing housing options would be more productive. Make castle storage available in a smaller foot print. Some of us would rather have smaller houses....10 x 10 is big enough for me, but i get stuck with huge houses i don't want because of the storage needs.

Let people upgrade to multiple houses on their account for an additional fee. Sub fees are high for this game compared to others. Don't punish your player base because they want to participate on multiple shards or built their own towns. For 3 or 4 bucks more a month let me add another house somewhere.

Feels like there are a solutions here that won't alienate part of the player base or force people to pay more than they want to just to play in more than one community.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't think you "gotta" do this. You want to. I mean do what you do man, but really, seems like a silly thing to get so worked up about. Clearly the people who have run the game over the last 15+ years don't care about it outside of a seemingly mild philosophical dislike (which is justified and understandable), I don't see why its such a good target for a crusade.

*shrug*
It's all I got :p

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I know this post wasn't directed at me, but I just have to ask. @Capt. Lucky Please explain how I am mooching anything off of you?
Because someone has to pay for keeping the game going. I and many others are doing that with full time accounts. Your 3 payments a year doesn't do that. The game would shut down when we all decide to play your buy 1 get 3 free game. The problem is currently there's nothing preventing everyone from "smelling the coffee" and doing the same. We pay for the game, you mooch off us by living in the cracks.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
@WootSauce

Its no exploit, it is how this system is supposed to work.
Its not cheating, it is how this system is supposed to work.
If you don't want it that way, change it but be aware that you will lose alot of subscription money by that.

1. Why should I pay "full" for an account that I do not even use "except" for storage. I would rather like to see
them sell something like a house repair kit via Store than even consider abandoning the current system or open up
more bank space+housespace upgrades in store

2. This game just has so many ways to fill up your house storage quickly. Be it the magic item generation system,
rares, semis, rubble, holiday stuff..the list could go on. Plus if you want to play on different servers you will
need a house there too...

3. If you can do with one house, good for you, I can't and alot people have more than one house

4. People losing houses and all their gear by that has been a good complete quit reason for some people in the
past. So shortening the cycle would result in that too

5. People will cut down houses and lose interest. I definately would not have that many different houses on
different servers and by that also not play on different servers. A good way to force people to play on less
servers and make them die out quicker...

On a 90 day cycle you pay around
34.50€ per house/per year
172.50€ for 5 houses/per year
345€ for 10 houses/per year

On a 30 day cycle:
69€ per one house/p.a.
345€ for 5
690€ for 10

I do not consider me having around 8 houses (additionally to my main account that runs all year - YES ALL YEAR!!!)
leeching on someone like vermin, that is utter bs.
With all those F2P games around you really want to make this model more expensive for players while calling them
exploiters for doing something that is within the rules. You will scare off new players and players that aren't
millionaires, who maybe have a family they have to care for too. I don't get how players put all their time and
effort into call other players cheaters and exploiters and trying to worsen the game experience for the whole.
You should rather invest your time in organizing events or trying to be really constructive and not destructive
like now...
I feel people that do this are exploiters and a moochers. The facts are clear. I have no idea of your play money values, lol. But I'm sure they wrong lol. Not that it matters. It's still buy 1 mooch 3 for 3 payments a year. I'd like you to have all the houses and junk you want. Just pay for them. I have a lot of houses. I pay for them monthly. You want F2P? Hell you got that now lol I promise to not call you a mooch. When you stop leeching off all the full time subscribers.

Last edited:

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I think the point being missed is those that are unable/unwilling to pay every month, are unable to play every month so in the end, the only one suffering is the person not paying every month. I might be wrong but I wouldnt think those that do the paying less than 12 times a year, would pay every single month if threatened to lose their house thus those extra dollars are gone from the game. Furthermore, I for one, if everything I had were lost including my house, a very slim chance to return and play again would exist. In my opinion, there is no abuse or cheating or exploitation going on. People having houses and account that are not paid for 12 times a year do not affect me or anyone else in any aspect. It does not prevent me from playing or hunting or enjoying my game time.

If this happens to affect someone's game play, I would love to hear that point be made so I can have a reason to change my thoughts about this.