• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

80% HLD vs 30 HLD & 50 HLA

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sure a lot of people would say that the more properties & effects you can put on your char the better. But I would appreciate feedback by those who have actually tested this instead of theorycraft. Thanks ahead of time.

This post assumes being able to sustain either 1.25 s or 1.5 s swing speed. Using Mace & Shield with max 50 imbued effect on a weapon: is there a definite improvement to having 30 HLD & 50 HLA vs 80% HLD only?

As a sampire you cannot survive without hitting. The highest end mobs can have extremely high skills that affect your chance to land a hit, even with maxed DCI & 120 weapon skill. Can 30% HLD be enough?

On the other hand, you cannot finish a fight when you are dead. The highest end mobs hit like a semi truck. Not getting hit keeps you alive.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are calculating with 50% HLD + 30 HLD from Mace and Shield glasses its not 80%, but 65%. This is because its calculated 50% + 30% of the 50%.
I havent tested the difference between HLD and HLD + HLA, but the high end mobs have high skills which isnt affected by HLD. No idea if they have high DCI and or HCI as well. I would go HLD + HLA tho.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Right, I don't think "real" 80 HLD is actually possible, because you'd need 50% on a weapon and then another 60% out of something else. Or 70% on a weapon and 33% on something else.

Since you're looking for someone who has tried something, I don't think you're going to get any response, because you're asking for people who have tried something that's not really possible.

If you're willing to entertain theory craft, there are a fair number of posts that will point out that 80% HLD is in all likelihood rubbish, which has probably lead the vast majority of people not to even ponder trying it.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like how people constantly on the internet get hung up on technicalities that do not exist because the error was corrected in the first response. The point is whether by experience actually fighting higher end encounters is which tends to be better: having > 30% HLD or having 30% HLD & 50% HLA.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
The simply answer to your question is "no", against the mobs with the absolute highest wrestle, I no longer believe 30% HLD is enough for an AI based character. For a WW based template, yes.

2 years ago, the general consensus was that "yes" 30% HLD was enough.

I have tested extensively with only the 30% HLD headgear and the headgear in conjunction with 45% on the weapon. In general, when the monster has = to or < your wrestle 30% is OK. If it has >, then you'll want more.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
For a melee char 30 HLD usually is enough. Probably the only case when more HLD would be handy is when you fight a boss with high block AND high defense (= high dci and/or high weapon skill). You can have a special weapon for such cases.
For an archer 30 HLD pretty often is not enough. I prefer HLD over HLA on a bow.