• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

8/10/15 Dev Meet And Greet On Atlantic Transcript (incomplete)

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The bolded part is where I think you're losing a lot of people. Interest in making requests drops precipitously when the notion that everything is "temporary" is said, the response from many becomes "why bother?" We'd like some permanent, cosmetic changes to our cities - whether by world building efforts or EMs who love to decorate.

Just yesterday I was asked in general chat to decorate Britain so it didn't look so sterile, so un-lived-in. Of course I had to say no. :oops: *ALL* previous requests on GL for decoration improvements were denied.

Just take a quick peek in the buildings in nearly every original city, then take a peek in Zento and New Haven buildings. Notice a difference? Heck, look at Zento/New Haven as a whole, then compare them to any original city...they all pale in comparison. The original cities look institutional, boring, empty. The only bright spots are where EMs have made a mark, or from the bank redesigns (some of which are exceptionally pretty and functional...except for the one on GL o.0).

While I'm cautiously optimistic about the library, I'm somewhat afraid of it perpetuating the cookie-cutter look of the original cities. We need a way for a shard's personality to be reasonably reflected in the cities.
When it comes to permanent cosmetic changes to the city, that is something that has to be effected by changing the world building, which is going to be perpetuated on every shard. The reason builds within the city limits are temporary is due to the fact that when different shards have changes within the cities it becomes an issue when we are trying to implement future content as we run into problems when items exist on some shards and not others. If there are specific buildings that you wish to hold events in, decorations can be added to them to "spruce" them up. If these events are a "one off" the PEC can help you. If this is an on-going event it would be something that we can add to the library of additions that will eventually be an automated process. The main point to remember is that we do not have the resources to support "deco for the sake of deco." If there is some broader purpose for building the area it's certainly something we can try to accommodate.