• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

700 MB!!!!

• Thread starter Daeradrin
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Daeradrin

Seriously?! I have never in all my years of playing UO felt a need to post on the forums. Until now. I recently purchased a new desktop and, since the hard disk died on the old one, I had to download the UO client. I always assumed that when they offered the digital download that it came fully patched. Wouldn't that make the most sense? But no, after my 1.8 GB initial download (from a slow server might I add) I found that the client was in fact not patched. Not even close!!! I was then subjected to more than 700 MB in additional downloads thanks to a poorly thought out system. I recall not very long ago the Devs bragging that they intended to make the initial download small, and then allow a subscriber to play while the rest of the game downloads. Everquest 2 has this option and it is awesome. Not only did the geniuses at EA not come through with a "streaming client" but they are taking huge steps in the opposite direction. I will admit the UO client and patches are in total smaller than the EQ2 client, but the EQ2 client requires an initial download of only 64 MB, and then you can start playing.

N

Naisikras

I recall not very long ago the Devs bragging that they intended to make the initial download small, and then allow a subscriber to play while the rest of the game downloads.
Yea I think they said that was coming soon, check back in 3 or 4 years.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeeze. If you think this is bad be I'd hate to see your rant about simple patch sizes if you played WoW, given their regularity. Not to mention the client download.

A

Armageddon

Can't remember what the WOW client is but it's up there around 10GB iirc. I just did a DL of the LotRO client recently and that was about 10GB as well.

So to the OP, in perspective, I wouldn't complain to much about a 2-3GB client. That's peanuts now-a-days ;)