• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

70% hit area is where its at

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
After seeing the video of the guy destroying the whole undead spawn in 12 minutes, because he was clearing whole rooms on nearly every swing, I decided I had to take a close look into this hit area thing.

To make it, I used copper hammer, vicsious of slaghter title (3 charges), and it took me ~40 tries to get a 70% (fire) hit area weapon. Given that Hit Phys is mostly pointless, I'd say count on 3 or 4 hammers per useful 70% hit area reforge.

The damage done by the hit area is equal to 50% of the damage done by the hit that triggers it, and then that value is affected by the resist of the creatures in the area, and may scale slightly lower the further away from the center.

For testing I used the Baracoon spawn as my control group, because I've been consistently doing that in 34 or 35 minutes, and that time is from the time I hit the sacred journey into the dungeon, clear the spawn, kill 'coon, pick up all the gold piles, and loot 100% of his corpse, then get back to town. Note: all testing done wearing a Vermin Slayer talisman.

I used to clear the first 3 levels with a radiant scim with 45% (don't have raptor teeth) hit area. Then, as proof of concept, I moved up to a longsword with 45% and my times dropped consistently down into the 31-32 range.

Just made a 70% hit area longsword, which means that I clear the area on level 1 every time it goes off, and can kill a ratman/dire wolf every 2x the area hits in level 2. From there I move to a repond slayer radiant scim with only 45% hit area for the 2nd part of level 2 and all of level 3, then swap into a reptile slayer with 45% hit area for level 4.

In attempt 1 like this I was down to only 28 minutes. I figure that if I made a 70% hit area repond slayer double axe I could clear levels 2 and 3 even faster than I currently am with my radiant scimitar.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you used a double axe would you be using Whirlwind or Double Strike for possible double procs?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Your only real choice there is Whirlwind, because until you get to Hell Hounds, there's not really anything that can reliably survive long enough to get hit by the 2nd hit of a DS.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too was inspired by that video and made a double axe with 70% hit fire area. It took about 4-5 hammers to get I think. Unfortunately the suit I was using wasn't adapted to the weapon very well, so I made a new suit that can swing a double axe at 1.25s without divine fury. Just for fun, I also made it so that if I do use divine fury, I can swing a halberd at 1.5s (45% SSI with 182 stamina), so I also made a halberd with 70% hit fire area, 50% damage increase, 100% life leech, 100% mana leech, undead slayer. With 100% leeches and higher damage per hit than a double axe (even with LJ), the halberd did a pretty good job of keeping me alive while it murdered everything. The only problems I run into with the halberd are the few occasions where divine fury wears off at bad times.

Unfortunately, the suit isn't entirely complete. Still needs refinements and I still need to get a swamp dragon bonded. So far my completion time is down to 29 minutes, but slowly improving. Either way though, double axe or halberd, I am really impressed by how effective they are.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry, it will be stealth nerfed in a couple of weeks.

klapios

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So I wasn't the only one taking queues from corpse on how to do a quick spawn. I havent been able to do a 12 min spawn yet, but i have neria and coon down to 25 mins each. I'll get that 12min spawn eventually.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So is it better or worse to add slayers to any weapons with Hit Area Fire/Cold/Etc? Did this bug get fixed?

When I read your comment in this post, it says slayer damage doesn't work with Hit Area Fire/Cold/etc.
"When hit spell or hit area activates, the slayer Damage Modifier(DM) doesn't take effect for that hit."
The Hit Spell/Damage Modifier Phenomenon | Stratics

When I read your post up top, it sounds like it is better to have slayer with hit area effect
"Just made a 70% hit area longsword, which means that I clear the area on level 1 every time it goes off, and can kill a ratman/dire wolf every 2x the area hits in level 2. From there I move to a repond slayer radiant scim with only 45% hit area for the 2nd part of level 2 and all of level 3, then swap into a reptile slayer with 45% hit area for level 4."

Also, why only 45% hit area? Who not imbue up to 50%?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I think that it remains true that when the hit area triggers, the slayer effect on a weapon doesn't. So, in the case of the 45% hit area radiant scim, it makes sense to have the slayer since most hits would take advantage of the slayer not the hit affect.

As to why I didn't imbue up to 50, it's likely that I didn't feel like going out to collect the special ingredient. These weapons are a few years old, I haven't gotten around to remaking my whole set of weapons yet.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I apologize if this is a newbie question, but I'm returning to the game and starting to use the Enhanced Client for the first time.

In the video linked above, I noticed that when an artifact would drop, he would get a notification pop-up. Does anyone know which mod this is? Or is this just standard for the Enhanced Client?

Any information would be helpful!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Usually, you get that notification for most artifact drops on the default EC UI.
You don't get them for primers nor for power scrolls on the default UI. No idea if it does on Pinco's as I don't run it.

Herp!

Journeyman
... you can get a 50% hit area to proc 4-8 times with a single ww. I've been using large battle axes or halberds for spawn aoe and double axes to kill bosses for a while now. With a LBA/hally, you still kill the entire room in a single swing... I too do these 12-15 min spawns solo on a day to day basis... often 4 of them in an hour then take a smoke break and go right back to it. 70% hit area is great and would definitely up the rate of aoe, but if you just make sure you hit at least 2 mobs (momentum strike/ww) with every hit, you will easily clear your entire screen with every swing. Today alone I did 8 Semidar runs on my sampire in just under 2 hours using a 100% cold LBA with 30ssi (25 ssi on gear for 1.25 swing speed at 180+ stam, 1.5 with 150-179) 75 hml 50hsl 50hit area cold and demon slayer. 100%di on gear. Then swap to 100% cold double axe with 81hll 81hll 50hsl 38hld demon slayer for Semidar. Onslaught double double double repeat for highest damage possible (utilizing a lvl 3 swords mastery for longest onslaught duration) 70%hae has nothing to do with it, he has amazing gear and understands the mechanics of the game to the fullest extent. I too have watched his videos for a long while now, and learned from him... but it's not the 70% hae that's doing it, because I'm doing the same thing with 50% and slower, higher base dmg weapons. An example would be his run of semidar in 12 minutes using a hally and a 210 stam suit long before pub90 made double strike with an elemental weapon significantly better than AI.

In order to do the runs as quickly as I do, I do not loot every run. I pull gold from corpse, any legendary/major artifacts(and insure), and throw the gold on the ground with the rest.. and i may stash my scrolls on a secondary stealther who I keep around in the event I crash and die or run out of pots for whatever reason, and just to have around for extra inventory space. The gold will be there in an hour when I finish 3 more in the exact same spot so I can just loot 1-1.2m all at once. Also baraccoon is possibly the slowest spawn to do simply because a large portion of the spawn has no slayer, he typically only has speed run videos of undead, demon, and dragon, because the spawn dies significantly faster. His lord oaks is a 30 min video run at double speed, his baraccoon if I remember properly is ~25 min.... faster runs come from doing harder spawn because you can do it with a slayer on the whole way and deceit spawn in particular the spawn is significantly more compact than any other spawn allowing for hae and ww to do more work. I'd like to see video of ANY ONE doing baraccoon solo in under 15... my personal best atm is 27:58:98. That spawn is ridiculously slow and spread out and it eats weapons so you cannot spam it unless you wanna carry around multiple blaze of death to do t1 and switch weapons every spawn... I utilize blaze of death for t1 because I can pof it back to 255 when it gets below 200... anything below 200 gets eaten up and loses durability constantly for the last skull of t1 unless it's a 4 skull pop...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Imbue spell channeling to your weapon to do the 1st phase of Baracoon's spawn without worrying about losing durability to the acid splashes.

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Imbue spell channeling to your weapon to do the 1st phase of Baracoon's spawn without worrying about losing durability to the acid splashes.

I did not understand. Does imbuing spell channeling on a weapon make it immune from slime's acid damage to weapons?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I too do these 12-15 min spawns solo on a day to day basis.
I think it depends on facet and spawn configuration. I believe it's impossible to do in 12-15 min any Valor spawn. It usually takes me 12-15 min for first two levels.

I'd like to see video of ANY ONE doing baraccoon solo in under 15... my personal best atm is 27:58:98
As to me baracoon is the easiest spawn.

Ioan Septim

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello all.

I need HFA 70% on my double axe and i reforge this way: powerful reforging > grand artifice > inspired artifice > vicious/of slaughter. Am i doing right? I use copper hammers and burned plenty of them allready, just want to be sure i am not mistaken and burn the other ones i have left :)

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Hello all.

I need HFA 70% on my double axe and i reforge this way: powerful reforging > grand artifice > inspired artifice > vicious/of slaughter. Am i doing right? I use copper hammers and burned plenty of them allready, just want to be sure i am not mistaken and burn the other ones i have left :)
I guess you didn't read the thread, because I say in the 2nd sentence of the first post exactly what I did to make my 70 hit area (happens to be HFA) weapon.

StealYourFace

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried making some 70% hit fire area double axes yesterday. I turned in some bods and got 15 copper hammers . After burning through 15 hammers I ended up with 9 70% poison area weeps . Just my damn luck. I hate RNG.

Ioan Septim

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess you didn't read the thread, because I say in the 2nd sentence of the first post exactly what I did to make my 70 hit area (happens to be HFA) weapon.
You mentioned using copper runics and vicsious of slaghter title, but i dont see there if you used powerful reforging > grand artifice > inspired artifice or only powerful reforging > grand artifice. I am not good at reforging, thats why i need to know exactly, how to reforge.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Let's think logically about this. I did say that I used 3 charges. I also said that I chose a title. In order to choose a title, you must use Grand+Inspired. Each of those takes 1 charge. A simple reforging with no other options activated takes 1 charge. Therefore, I can't have use Powerful.

Ioan Septim

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Let's think logically about this. I did say that I used 3 charges. I also said that I chose a title. In order to choose a title, you must use Grand+Inspired. Each of those takes 1 charge. A simple reforging with no other options activated takes 1 charge. Therefore, I can't have use Powerful.
Thank you for explanation ;)

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I too was inspired by that video and made a double axe with 70% hit fire area. It took about 4-5 hammers to get I think. Unfortunately the suit I was using wasn't adapted to the weapon very well, so I made a new suit that can swing a double axe at 1.25s without divine fury. Just for fun, I also made it so that if I do use divine fury, I can swing a halberd at 1.5s (45% SSI with 182 stamina), so I also made a halberd with 70% hit fire area, 50% damage increase, 100% life leech, 100% mana leech, undead slayer. With 100% leeches and higher damage per hit than a double axe (even with LJ), the halberd did a pretty good job of keeping me alive while it murdered everything.
What hammer did u use to get both leeches at 100%? I typically will do 100 hml and imbue for ~80 hll, but 100 of each is beautiful.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What hammer did u use to get both leeches at 100%? I typically will do 100 hml and imbue for ~80 hll, but 100 of each is beautiful.
It is a halberd. You can imbue 100% HLL and HML on it.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The halberd has a 4 seconds swing time. You don't need to reforge it to get 100 HML and 100 HLL. You can imbue them at full intensity.

Dethsius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I don't understand why you go through all that trouble for a 70% weapon. This is my setup and I do great...

60% SSI Total
183 Stam
(Let's me swing my axe at 1.25)

100% DI Total

Weapon:
Large Battle Axe
- 20% DI
- 25% SSI
- 50% Hit Fire Area
- 75% Hit Mana Leech
- 75% Hit Life Leech
- 100% Fire Damage

Special setups or weapons isn't even needed for the first level. I blaze through with a bow with area damage on it in no time at all.

Any level above, I can taget next rapidly while killing, to pull a horde of mobs on me and Whirlwind them all at once. Clean, fast and east. It's just as fast with slayer bows (or axes). My normal setup is a slayer bow (repond), 100% elemental damage (fire or cold) with a Vermin slayer or Flame slayer talisman (depending on if I'm killing rats or hounds).

I don't understand why the 70% AoE when you can do just as much with a 50%. Though, melee is a lil slower than ranged when it comes to clearing out each level. It's a little safer also unless you really put that Hit Life Leech to good use. With the above axe, I can spam whirlwind non stop which keeps me full mana and full life with every swing, considering I keep myself surrounded by mobs. Rat mages pose a bit of a challenge but make sure they're the point of your target at any time and you should be ok.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't understand why you go through all that trouble for a 70% weapon
Agree. People keep reinventing the wheel, posting like any of this new stuff is needed, it isn't. I posted in another thread that pretty much everything was soloable when it came out. Spawns were first done on 7x GM (or less) characters, without refinements, armoured swamp dragons, 100 elemental weapons/slayers, reforging or Imbuing. Usually if I start a new shard I use spawns to train noob characters, they're that easy.

They have massively over inflated the means by which players have available to them for killing monsters and made very little (if any) changes to those monsters in terms of difficulty.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
In my case, I don't care whether or not it can be done with a 7x GM vs a 6x Legendary or something in between. I like to try to see what the minimum time possible for a spawn is, and that means being at least willing to try out the more extreme variants of a given setup. When I moved from using a radiant scimitar with 50% Hit Area to a Longsword with 70%, it saved me time on the first level of the spawn, so I consider it a success.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The real question isn't why bother but why wouldn't you? If I still played I'd roll the hit 70, I actually made a few while trying to get back into the game after reading this thread.

drizzPK

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Corpse is a legend. He has taught me a lot about a samp! And has made me billions.