• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] 4x4 fishing? ...and one other question on fishing

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I just decided to make me a fisher. One of those skills I always wanted to go for but haven't done yet.

So I started training and look on uoguide and it said something about 4x4 fishing.
http://www.uoguide.com/Fishing

Can you still do this? If so, how. It never lets me target more than one location. Do you need a higher skill to do this or is it only in the deep ocean?

Also will you need lockpicking for the chests from fishing or is that only for cartography t-hunts?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never heard of 4x4 fishing before. I always thought fishing was in the same 8x8 squares as resources, and that one would have to be straddling the intersection of 4 squares (Either way) for this to be possible.

You have to be able to set up a UO Assist macro with 4 different "target relative" locations, each for a single cast, with the appropriate delays, in any case. You'd have to do it on a boat, as well.

Interestingly enough, target relative macros let you fish THROUGH the boat, if the cast spot is one where the boat is.

And, no, lockpicking is not needed for SOS chests.

R

Renneb

i read some where on stratics that 4x4 doesnt work anymore aslo 4x4 ment that u went in a 4x4 square in the ocean

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nononono ... 4*4 works the same way as it always did.

Each resource-square has a size of 8*8 tiles. The key to 4*4 is, that you can place your boat onto the resource grid that way, that you can fish 4 different resource-squares without the need to move your boat. ONLY advantage of this is, that you can fish without the need to move your boat. After fishing all 4 spots empty the first one should have respawned.

Before anyone calls 'cheater' on me for setting my boat onto the resource quare grid ....
- dry fish one spot
- move one forward and repeat until you can fish again
- dry fish the new spot
- move one left and repeat until you can fish again
- voila ^^ work done

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okies! Thanks for the replies :D

So 4*4 fishing is simply an effective way of resource gathering by boat.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nononono ... 4*4 works the same way as it always did.

Each resource-square has a size of 8*8 tiles. The key to 4*4 is, that you can place your boat onto the resource grid that way, that you can fish 4 different resource-squares without the need to move your boat. ONLY advantage of this is, that you can fish without the need to move your boat. After fishing all 4 spots empty the first one should have respawned.

Before anyone calls 'cheater' on me for setting my boat onto the resource quare grid ....
- dry fish one spot
- move one forward and repeat until you can fish again
- dry fish the new spot
- move one left and repeat until you can fish again
- voila ^^ work done
I figured that's what it meant, but wasn't sure.

As the hard part of using it is getting into position...

Here's one other tip with that method....

If you're using UO Assist or Kingdom Reborn, drop a marker on your map for that exact point so you can find it again if you ever have to move your boat.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used 4x4 fishing and as it was explained to me, divide your boat into quarters, and if you stand at the mast of a small boat, you fish the upper right side until no more fish, switch to the upper left until no more fish, and just work your way around the boat. By the time you get back to upper right, it has respawned and therefore you don't need to move the boat.

J

Jermosh

You can still 4x4 fish, but with the KR client its not that useful. I just macro last target and just change my fishing spot each time.