• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

4 years I'm back anyone else i know still

• Thread starter sundown198
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
C

CatLord

When are we making this happen?

Would be fun to see an army of shadows take over Sosaria...

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Pitr a lot involved in getting it started. I would have to create a character and transfer skills. Have to get HL's with the RP guilds, and make sure that those used for an evil guild can be trusted.

*sighs*

Lack of trust is a big issue these days, but I think with Sundown's character leading, many will welcome the return of the evil guild.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Evil is the path to ultimate power...And it is also the funnest way to go about ones business.
I personally prefer a more neutral approach, that way no one knows how you will react.

Either that or just be so crazy that no one can possibly guess what you're thinking and that's when you strike.

T

Takissis

Oh my. Elric, Zathos, Dram, Aedon...all these people that I haven't spoken with in so long. I see Dram in WoW now and then, but its been like 3 years or more for the rest.

Elric and Zath, some of my fondest memories were fighting KaS. I still remember our epic battles with like 4 Fae against 10 KaS. We'd have you chase us forever. It was so much fun. More than the PvP, the storylines always drew me in, and I appreciated every moment of Rp with y'all.

Sometimes, moreso of late, I really miss the old RP. I even logged in a few times this month roaming my old haunts. Though, I didn't see anyone, it does hurt to see Bedlam completely gone, but we knew that was going to happen. I roamed around Yew and visited the Knight's Rest. At least I think it was the Knight's Rest. The decor didn't look taverny (is that a word), but then it might not even be a tavern anymore.

Currently, I'm playing WoW on the Silver Hand server where I run a raiding guild with about 90+ members (Few Against the Many). If anyone wants to look me up, just do a /who with the guild name and ask to speak to Taki, someone will point you in my direction. I'm generally on most evenings after 8 central if I'm raiding. If I'm around, I'll toss ya my guild's vent info and your welcome to come in and chat for a while. I don't have ICQ anymore, but y'all are welcome to email me ([email protected]).

I really do miss a lot of the old faces and the Rp. I've been itching to write for months now. I just don't believe there is a place for in Britannia for Silvara anymore. Oh well.

Anyway, I really do hope I hear from a few people, but even if not, I wish all of you well.

May the Graces of the Fae be with you,

Silvara Takissis

K

katherinepgoh

Well, you could always come back and Make a place for your character? Or make a new character? One of the nicest things about UO is our ability to interact with and change our world around us through housing (which is one of the reasons we're so proud of our City of Olympus ^_^ )

Would love to see all of you old players come back, and you know there's people here waiting to see you!

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would love to see all of you old players come back, and you know there's people here waiting to see you!
I'm really not so sure about that. RP is different now, not saying it's bad or good, just different.

Alot of us "old timers" are stuck in the past, and if we were to come back, would want things to be like they were, and that's really not possible. If we could have it like it was, I would be back in a heartbeat!

C

CatLord

Make it happen.

I'm the nutty guy trying to have weekly public harrowers...

Impossible is Nothing!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*bows low.*
(Lady Silvara,
It has indeed been a long time since last we spoke. It is good to see you are still thriving, even if it is in a land far removed from the Freehold.)

The Knight's Rest is still a tavern, just a wee bit prettier. Sometimes looks more like a Bill Knapps to me then a tavern.

Much has changed in the world of RP. Old foes and friends are long departed. I myself spend little time in UO these days preferring the more relaxed way of life on Middle Earth. But this does not mean that RP in some form is not still present on Catskills.

There is a more relaxed form played these days though. True foes are rarely to be found. Kidnappings are at an all time low, and pirated have taken to plundering the goody two shoes by way of their Black Market, instead of high seas hi-jinks.

Most of us still stay within our own communities. Over the past year this seems to be a better way to control drama. Unfortunately, it also limits interaction.

The one truly bright spot seems to be in the involvement of our EM's with the RP community at large. They willingly take part in local events, and hold story telling and race events of their own.

Still, most of the Cities and Towns of Sosaria sit vacant. The great guilds of the past have been reduced to memories held in the pages of tomes carefully preserved in libraries. Guild towns and hamlets have fallen to dust, and where once great knights roamed we now find vendor houses or worse yet, vacant lots.

RP does stumble along, but we are lessened by the loss of so many of you who have departed.

K

katherinepgoh

Still, most of the Cities and Towns of Sosaria sit vacant. The great guilds of the past have been reduced to memories held in the pages of tomes carefully preserved in libraries. Guild towns and hamlets have fallen to dust, and where once great knights roamed we now find vendor houses or worse yet, vacant lots.
I'll have to disagree with this part, considering that Olympus is thriving and is rarely seen during prime hours without at least 2-3 Guardians present somewhere within the town, and the fact that we are still expanding and growing. Also, Dove was kidnapped by the Pirates and subsequently freed by the Guardians just last night.

I also disagree that the great guilds are reduced to memories; We're still here and writing our own memories and history. May Honor Continue to Guide and Bind us all, as it has for twelve years, and no doubt will for another twelve!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to disagree with this part, considering that Olympus is thriving and is rarely seen during prime hours without at least 2-3 Guardians present somewhere within the town, and the fact that we are still expanding and growing. Also, Dove was kidnapped by the Pirates and subsequently freed by the Guardians just last night.

I also disagree that the great guilds are reduced to memories; We're still here and writing our own memories and history. May Honor Continue to Guide and Bind us all, as it has for twelve years, and no doubt will for another twelve!
Dear I was referring to towns such as Brit, Skara, Cove, not player run towns. You can on most nights fond someone venturing out in a player run town, but the wonderful RP that used to fill Skara on some nights is long gone. The occasional drop in or rare city event can never equal what was in the past.

K

katherinepgoh

Guild towns and hamlets have fallen to dust, and where once great knights roamed we now find vendor houses or worse yet, vacant lots.
You may have meant to say towns like Skara and Brit, but those aren't what's generally inferred when you say 'Guild Towns', as towns are not (except for extraordinary circumstances and rare exceptions) controlled by guilds(on our shard, at least).

Please use more careful wording so what you mean is inferred by what you say! ^_^

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may have meant to say towns like Skara and Brit, but those aren't what's generally inferred when you say 'Guild Towns', as towns are not (except for extraordinary circumstances and rare exceptions) controlled by guilds(on our shard, at least).

Please use more careful wording so what you mean is inferred by what you say! ^_^
No, you must take care in what you read into what others say. I do fine in stating and conveying through my words exactly what I mean. I am sorry if you do not understand my words. And the guild towns and hamlets that have fallen to dust I am referring to are the great ones of the past. The Freehold, Virtue Village, Kinship. Those are the places I think of when speaking of the great guild towns of the past.

T

Takissis

Yep, thank you for reminding me why I was happy to leave the drama in UO behind.

For the record, he did say MOST, not all. He did say "guild towns" but he also said the towns and cities of Sosaria. He was talking about the past, and the great guilds that existed years ago. PGoH is still around. I'm glad to hear it, but one town with 2 or 3 roaming guards amongst the dozens of great player run areas of the past is hardly a thriving rp community.

His comments were nostalgic and heartfelt and made me think of a better time that I sometimes wish I could recapture. However, you felt the need to insert yourself as a conflict to what he said. For what purpose? To promote your town yet another time in this thread? You took a nice reminiscent thread and decided to argue. Well done.

So yeah, great reminder. I was nostalgic for a whole 12 hours. I do miss a lot of great rpers and friends that I made in the 8+ years that I played. Unfortunately, I think that the majority of those people have moved on (with few exceptions). For those still left, I wish you well. Please feel free to email me or look me up in WoW.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*bows head again*
Safe travels gentle lady. Perhaps one day our paths will cross again.

K

katherinepgoh

Personally, I don't have any drama with anyone, nor was I trying to be promoting yet again, I was merely trying to keep a seemingly negatively connotated post from discouraging possible prospective Catskillians from joining our fine shard or any of the numerous RP guilds that exist here. (In fact, if you review my post history, you'll find that I have described numerous guilds other than PGoH as ones that people should put their eyes towards joining, including Aedon's own V^A.)

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you KATHERINE,(with apologies for my mistake) but I do not recruit. I maintain Aegis only as a salute to the past. The Tavern holds the same name given to it by the Knight's Of Yew in the original Glade of Aegis in Felluca, and then again in Trammel. I miss many of the old players, and am wistful for the great RP of the past. Too many names have faded into the history of the shard. I do from time to time hold an event, but I prefer to keep the Village ranks to a small family group.

K

katherinepgoh

I'm Katherine Elle, Senator of Inquiry, not Piper by the way ^_^

Z

Zathos

What's funny about this post is the overwhelming sense that KaS has caused more controversy and we aren't even around. I am SOOO proud we were so good at being evil. what aedon was meaning from my understanding was how all the old guilds claimed a town or a location; KoY and a few other guilds claimed Yew as a protectorate, KaS claimed Skara and PGoH claimed trinsic (if i remember right). Back then we claimed something, town or place, that made us a part of the game world. No after teh seer program we couldn't directly change things anymore but we still tied ourselves to something. I think this is what helped our RP. If KaS started kicking everyone out of Skara we would "lose" tax money, no we never got any tax money but we RP'd things that kept us all grounded. RP communities split and fracture because people playing characters believe their story should win; when in fact it should be the overall plot that moves forward. RP is all about just being a player on a stage with a plot line but ad-libbing everything sometimes things work out other times they do not.

I will give a tip to anyone wanting to start an Evil guild; have a goal and not the goal to be all powerful or take over the world or even dominate others. In the end those plots will just alienate everyone, ultimately that may be the ending circumstances but as an initial goal they will be an epic fail.

For those that may not remember KaS our over all plot was to gather the swords of power created by an old arcane god (Knights of arcane steel) that was our purpose. As an evil guild we would do any and everything to get info about or possess a sword. That included helping KoY at one point retrieve something they wanted. Other times we would raid a town and slaughter everyone just because we could, with the proper amount of RP. You have to balance coming across as a jerk (evil people are jerks) and allowing everything you do to have an open ending sometimes you win other times you do not.

I remember Corin ordered me to kill Skotty (Celts) after we had captured her, obviously I can't kill someone elses char. So a mini plot started I poisoned her and left her on the side of the road with a cure potion just out of her reach (Zathos background couldn't kill women). The plot was open corin said kill I "killed" her with poison but she was found and saved and she laid low for a while. Until we were all at the aegis tavern and she walked in that was some funny RP trying to explain all that to corin.

That's just my 2 cents

Zathos

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm Katherine Elle, Senator of Inquiry, not Piper by the way ^_^
*grins*
I just realized this after logging out of the computer and sitting watching Television for a bit. I came on to try to correct my mistake before you saw it. My apologies m'lady. *looks sheepish*

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's funny about this post is the overwhelming sense that KaS has caused more controversy and we aren't even around. I am SOOO proud we were so good at being evil. what aedon was meaning from my understanding was how all the old guilds claimed a town or a location; KoY and a few other guilds claimed Yew as a protectorate, KaS claimed Skara and PGoH claimed trinsic (if i remember right). Back then we claimed something, town or place, that made us a part of the game world. No after teh seer program we couldn't directly change things anymore but we still tied ourselves to something. I think this is what helped our RP. If KaS started kicking everyone out of Skara we would "lose" tax money, no we never got any tax money but we RP'd things that kept us all grounded. RP communities split and fracture because people playing characters believe their story should win; when in fact it should be the overall plot that moves forward. RP is all about just being a player on a stage with a plot line but ad-libbing everything sometimes things work out other times they do not.

I will give a tip to anyone wanting to start an Evil guild; have a goal and not the goal to be all powerful or take over the world or even dominate others. In the end those plots will just alienate everyone, ultimately that may be the ending circumstances but as an initial goal they will be an epic fail.

For those that may not remember KaS our over all plot was to gather the swords of power created by an old arcane god (Knights of arcane steel) that was our purpose. As an evil guild we would do any and everything to get info about or possess a sword. That included helping KoY at one point retrieve something they wanted. Other times we would raid a town and slaughter everyone just because we could, with the proper amount of RP. You have to balance coming across as a jerk (evil people are jerks) and allowing everything you do to have an open ending sometimes you win other times you do not.

I remember Corin ordered me to kill Skotty (Celts) after we had captured her, obviously I can't kill someone elses char. So a mini plot started I poisoned her and left her on the side of the road with a cure potion just out of her reach (Zathos background couldn't kill women). The plot was open corin said kill I "killed" her with poison but she was found and saved and she laid low for a while. Until we were all at the aegis tavern and she walked in that was some funny RP trying to explain all that to corin.

That's just my 2 cents

Zathos
Exactly what I was meaning. I am a bit too nostalgic I suppose. I was not a big player on the RP scene during those times, but I can recall so many wonderful plot lines, so many fine players. Evil guilds you could be proud of. The Arcane Steel and the Hand. Kunori, the very essence of evil. These guilds had a way of portraying the darker side of life that left those who fell victim to them fearing the deeds they may do, long before any actions were taken. And you always knew that somewhere, Kunori was packing a wyrm.

The "Good" guilds were just that. There was no real gray areas, no blurring of lines. They opposed the encroaching darkness with every fiber of their being.

I have a great respect for those that remain in UO and try day after day to continue the fine tradition of RP that made this shard great. They face the challenges of dwindling populations and a world that leaves them with few minions of evil to overcome. And most are trying, and finding new ways to help keep RP alive.

But I miss the old days, the old guilds and towns. And I miss hiding behind a wall when seeing my old foes of the past swagger through Skara, or even kick in the doors of the Knight's Rest.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are a bit fragmented with no real foe to fight, so the good guilds tend to just fight one another.
"Evil" rp guilds tend to be shunned,imo,and seem to go their own way to other things. There are too many "rules" thrust upon evil guilds by which they must play or lose hilites.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont know about kicking down the doors of the Rest Aedon...But I still have a ton of blackrock I can use to blow it up with....

Dramora

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh God Zathos! You just made me recall one of the absolute best times I had with the KaS.

It was when I was playing Leela more than Dramora, she was in the Azure Knights of Britannia, and was one of my very first RP situations. Our guild leader IRL was going on vacation, but he plotted with Corin to have himself "kidnapped" by the KaS before he left, just so the guild had some fun while he was away. And fun we had.

What I remember vividly was when we all discovered that our beloved guild leader was gone, Corin and the rest of the KaS swaggering into our guild hall (and swagger they did!), while we were having a meeting about where our leader was. Corin walked into our meeting hall, literally pushed Leela out of the way (she was conducting the meeting in the leader's absence), sat at the head of the table and put his feet up on the table and grinned at everyone. The rest of the KaS were intersperced throughout the hall, and even "guarding" the doorway so we couldn't leave.

I guess it was just the sense that the KaS had actually taken over our guild hall and meeting, and there wasn't a damn thing we could do about it that really launched me into RP.

He was SUCH a wonderful foe, he would kill you just for looking at him the wrong way. I remember alot of dirt naps at his feet.

Nice to relive the RP memories!

L

LyraDarkstar

Hello! I played UO in it's glory days... I too remember the "great RP" that made me such an addict... I remember the Hand and I so remember the dirt naps and I remember ENJOYING! The death because it was so well played. I miss those days...

But (and I am NOT promoting) I do not believe at all that RP is dead or dying. In a few posts above this one someone was called out for causing drama... that is not what I saw occurring... AND the person supposedly causing drama is one of the BEST rp'ers I have ever had the privilege of playing with.

Someone else said that they were wary of coming back because they would want the old RP style again. To that I can only say... it takes some adjusting... I am back now after many years and I am having to get to know my characters again, learning where they might fit and discovering changes in my character's personalities. Soon... I will be ready to throw myself back into the RP and I look forward to building new memories.

I would love to see the Knights of Yew back and Knights of Arcane Steel and really I would LOVE to be killed by The Hand a few more times but I enjoy every minute of game play that I am experiencing right now.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know about kicking down the doors of the Rest Aedon...But I still have a ton of blackrock I can use to blow it up with....
*chuckles*
That poor building has been blown up and burned down so many times it is pitiful. One more time could not hurt...much.

M

Mikael D'Amavir

Hello everyone...

Let me first acknowledge three of my favorites. Dramora, Belig and Silvara. Good to see you all still breathing. (IRL of course. In game, I'd just as soon see you all dead.)

Had a little birdy send me a link to this discussion. Good points, well thought out discussion. Something change since I have been gone? :p

Zathos wrote: I will give a tip to anyone wanting to start an Evil guild; have a goal and not the goal to be all powerful or take over the world or even dominate others. In the end those plots will just alienate everyone, ultimately that may be the ending circumstances but as an initial goal they will be an epic fail.

I couldn't agree more!

Mikael D'Amavir >H<
Hand of Terror

The only way to make good is to be bad

B

Beleg Megil

Howdy all.

Only one "problem" with the state of RP today. Well, its more like an inconvienience.

We are more decentralized than the "good ole days". I was there and it was neither better nor worse than now. There were still OOC fights, still people that were only in it for consequence free PVP, still people that thought *all* PVP cheapened plots, still people that thought not enough PVP cheapened plots, still people that said better equipment was ruining the game, still people counter-arguing that no equipment should be ignored, still real life problems that were taken into character, still people that didn't know the first thing about being one of the "good guys" in real life trying to play one of the "good guys" in character, still people that had no clue how a convincing bad guy should act but tried to pull it off, still people that gave away their character's true intentions or identity with completely hammy acting and screamed that if anyone with half a brain figured it out, they were using ooc info, still people who tried to keep the peace and get along with everyone and somehow catching crap for it from both sides, still people that threw a fit if they didn't get their way, still people with no personal responsibility when they screwed up which lead to "Help, help! I'm being repressed!" syndrome...

Still someone every year declaring that RP was dead..12 years in a row...

In short, all the "problems" we still have....12 years later... and there is still an RP Community which is neither better nor worse. The only difference is back then, we all could find each other easier. Smaller map, less options, fewer things to do, less places to go, fewer guilds, fewer forums...it was innevitable we would all end up at the Abbey playing with each other and when we weren't in game, checking UOTC as a hub for what was happening.

All of that could easily be recaptured if we really wanted it, but for the most part, we are a shard full of "leaders" now with a "my way or the highway" attitude. We are decentralized, not because we can't agree on how things should go all the time...we never could do that...Its just now when we disagree, we make sub-communities. We are inflexible. We hive off. We are selfish. We think our guilds or our characters are the "Star" of this show and everyone else is a supporting cast.

I guess if we decide we really want to be able to find people every night, we'd all be working together toward that goal despite our differences. Clive has brought us together a few times with the Ix Tab plots. The EMs work with us now and enhance our plots or let us participate and affect the "official" EA storyline. That proves it *can* be done. We really have no one to blame but ourselves if we can't find people to play with. We have all the tools to make things better than the "glory days". We have more options. We even have excellent EMs. I for one don't need an epic plot every night or even every month to have fun, but the capacity is certainly there for there to be one. We really have no reason to say "Oh, it could never be the way it used to be!". We *could* make it one big community again. We could make it anything we wanted.

But do we have the will? Do we have the ability go with the flow and work together instead of bailing and trying to tear everyone down when we don't get every last detail to go in our favor?

*shrugs* Who knows. All I know is I'm still here. Looks like lots of the rest of ya still are too.

C

CatLord

Well, tonight I failed at the public harrower... but I will go back to it day after day...

I am not sure which battle is harder... mine vs the established status quo or yours...

All I know is... I'm changing this, one way or the other...

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help on the rp side... even if my rp ability is yucky... I'm more of a chess player.

For the record... it was about time the truth was posted... all the rp seems to have a script and locked in a container... no room for open ended events... Why?

Thanks for the amazing post.

GOOD LUCK!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy all.

Only one "problem" with the state of RP today. Well, its more like an inconvienience.

We are more decentralized than the "good ole days". I was there and it was neither better nor worse than now. There were still OOC fights, still people that were only in it for consequence free PVP, still people that thought *all* PVP cheapened plots, still people that thought not enough PVP cheapened plots, still people that said better equipment was ruining the game, still people counter-arguing that no equipment should be ignored, still real life problems that were taken into character, still people that didn't know the first thing about being one of the "good guys" in real life trying to play one of the "good guys" in character, still people that had no clue how a convincing bad guy should act but tried to pull it off, still people that gave away their character's true intentions or identity with completely hammy acting and screamed that if anyone with half a brain figured it out, they were using ooc info, still people who tried to keep the peace and get along with everyone and somehow catching crap for it from both sides, still people that threw a fit if they didn't get their way, still people with no personal responsibility when they screwed up which lead to "Help, help! I'm being repressed!" syndrome...

Still someone every year declaring that RP was dead..12 years in a row...

In short, all the "problems" we still have....12 years later... and there is still an RP Community which is neither better nor worse. The only difference is back then, we all could find each other easier. Smaller map, less options, fewer things to do, less places to go, fewer guilds, fewer forums...it was innevitable we would all end up at the Abbey playing with each other and when we weren't in game, checking UOTC as a hub for what was happening.

All of that could easily be recaptured if we really wanted it, but for the most part, we are a shard full of "leaders" now with a "my way or the highway" attitude. We are decentralized, not because we can't agree on how things should go all the time...we never could do that...Its just now when we disagree, we make sub-communities. We are inflexible. We hive off. We are selfish. We think our guilds or our characters are the "Star" of this show and everyone else is a supporting cast.

I guess if we decide we really want to be able to find people every night, we'd all be working together toward that goal despite our differences. Clive has brought us together a few times with the Ix Tab plots. The EMs work with us now and enhance our plots or let us participate and affect the "official" EA storyline. That proves it *can* be done. We really have no one to blame but ourselves if we can't find people to play with. We have all the tools to make things better than the "glory days". We have more options. We even have excellent EMs. I for one don't need an epic plot every night or even every month to have fun, but the capacity is certainly there for there to be one. We really have no reason to say "Oh, it could never be the way it used to be!". We *could* make it one big community again. We could make it anything we wanted.

But do we have the will? Do we have the ability go with the flow and work together instead of bailing and trying to tear everyone down when we don't get every last detail to go in our favor?

*shrugs* Who knows. All I know is I'm still here. Looks like lots of the rest of ya still are too.
*gives Beleg the Raspberries*

I agree fully on the too many chiefs, not enough Indians these days. You and I talked about that recently, And Aedon did his best to surrender and make Aegis part of Silverwood. He even went out and bought a set of pointy ears.

Clive's plots involving Ix have been a hoot. And you have to be proud of the lad for all he has put into not only his plot, but the community over the years.

I am like you in one respect old friend. Aedon will be sitting on the steps of Connemara, or serving drinks in the Rest right up until the time the lights go off in Sosaria.

I am sorry that I miss the way things used to be. But you know what happens to folks when they grow older. They wax poetic about the good old days, and spend their time in idle musings of days gone by.

C

CatLord

But you know what happens to folks when they grow older. They wax poetic about the good old days, and spend their time in idle musings of days gone by.

Get your arse in game, get up from bed!
pick up a sword or spellbook.
come fight the red!
join the armed forces or bring a hook.
come kick their arses
and give the shard a new look.

(everyone is a poet these days...)

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get your arse in game, get up from bed!
pick up a sword or spellbook.
come fight the red!
join the armed forces or bring a hook.
come kick their arses
and give the shard a new look.

(everyone is a poet these days...)

I logged in today
And walked into Skara
Found no one else there
Guess I'll check back tamara

B

Beleg Megil

Now, Aedon...you know you are too understanding and tolerant to be an Elf. :p

Maybe we need to get off the porch once in a while. Mingle outside of our comfort zones.

I'm no leader though, I'm just a loud mouth. I make speeches. But I ran out of creative ideas that would appeal to everyone in 2001.

Catlord: Yeah, some of it seems scripted but its not. I know for a fact endings of such things as the Charnadis plot and the Ix Tab events, for instance, the writers didn't even know how they would wrap up until it did. There does have to be some structure in major plots so it doesn't decend into chaos or sudden god-powers, or end too quickly, or any of the other reasons a plot could go wrong that we've seen over the years. But I can promise I don't get involved in something if I already know how its gonna end, who's gonna win, what the solution to the puzzle is, etc. That's just no fun. I also hate when there is one set solution to any problem. That kills creativity and new ideas.

On the other hand, I'm sure you have heard the phrase "There is nothing new under the sun." Every great story is pretty much a retelling of an older great story. Lord of the Rings? You'll find lots of that in Beowulf, The Norse Sagas and The Grail Quests, among others. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman? That's The Wizard of Oz. Hell, even crap like Twilight is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Catskills players have done lots of plots and read lots of books. We've seen lots of problems and their solutions, both In Character and Out. Sometimes it *does* seem like we are following a script because we've seen it all and done it all before, so we apply what we've learned to the new plot.

That's just realism, happens in real life too. That makes us a tough crowd, and it also makes plots end too quickly sometimes. We are stuck with hard choices because of it.

You could be in a situation where you are forced to say "Pitr has seen something almost *exactly* like this happen before. I know he'd remember how this was solved back then...but if I do solve it now, the plot ends, the bad guy loses. If I have Pitr ignore his memories, then the bad guy does more damage and more characters suffer, but we get to play longer and I won't be acused of "Supermanning" the plot...". Its a tough spot to be in. I know Dramora, Aedon, Lyra, Mik, Elric, Silvara...practically every "old timer" has been in that situation. It is really no fun when the In Character choice wins out and the plot designer gets pissed that his or her plot is over too soon.

But anyway, if anything seems scripted rather than just structured? I'm pretty sure most of that is because brand new original ideas are hard to come by, so we all fall into the roles, behaviors and solutions that we think will work.

I will say this, though: I know he's young but Clive does some of the most original plots, stories and characters I've ever seen. Even if I'm "in on" planning the special effects or providing a support character, I STILL never see the twists, turns and ends coming, but when we get there? They make perfect sense. He's been the mind behind some of the most satisfying plots and events I've ever been involved in. Darkmane, Moravek, Adammaire and Alraune, they could always keep ya guessing and hit you with surprises and twists just when ya thought it was over. Clive's work is right up there with them. We need more Clives.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*nods to Beleg*
I would not mind a few more Clives myself. Or another Adam and Alraune. The storytellers always drive RP forward even though they do not seek to control it.

And you are right, I would not make a very good elf. I would never be able to dress as you did last Halloween. *grins*

S

sundown198

Sorry i havnt replied i pulled a handtruck with 800 lbs on it over my foot and crushed my piggies..

First off holy bull manure Sil i added ya on msn give me a shout

Next Mikael oly crap how ya been man i use to love interacting with your guild them plots OMFG i kept one of you i cant remember who in my tower for like a week as a prisoner

and sil i think it was ya drama sucks butt

I remember back in the day doing guard duty in skara. Killing them evil oranges. I miss that. I also remember when we did that to your guild dram that was such a blast.

I also remember a time i cant remember the guild name but we broke into there guild master house and dyes his guild flag KaS colors. And how can you forget the phenix hunts.

KaS Law it isnt a good hunt unless everyone dies.

oh i found something for you old schoolers the KAS guild list and warred guilds How crazy is that

Corin Aesir
Jubu Dredknot
Biscanton Margua
Galadriel
Noah
Alassra
Nighthawk
Sir George
Gib Krod
Wolfwitch
Sir Robert Elic
Lord Pleb
Sir Robert Jr.
Etrigan Grimoire
Blagner Korhort
Zathos
Sarah
Nergal Simbul
Darkmane
Gawyn
Lacey Bakarne
Ular
Kunori
Rowen Mayfair
Raven Estiu
Timothy Leary
Lazarus
Ghost Stalker
Dagorian
Willy
Dragmere Thone
Lucetios
Duncan
Feldor
Weston
Loray of Guldraf
Sterling
Balirix
Izzy the Fool
Nosiop of Orolak
Hob Galding
Aliray
Dedguy
Woarn of Orolak
Chasity
D'Artagnan
Sir Edwin
Garion le Seribe
Beloved
Gwendolyn
Falen Pendril
Savana
Wynd
Ra
Aamand Feril
Reflection
Elric Wolvesbane

Syr
GV
Mist of Avalon
Knights of Yew
Bedlam House of Takissis
Elves of Adhrael
United Pirates
The Last Dynasty
Catskills Mage TOwer
The Banished
Black Rose Society
The Tribunal
The Triumvirate
Circle of Elements
The Celts
Rouges of Shadowmore

I miss those times. Also to join the kas in the day you had to provide a RP story of your char and his learning of the kas I'll post mine in another thread

S

Stig

Oh I was a lord when you made that list, must have just joined, I bet that wasnt there for long LOL