• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

3d question

M

magi822

I was wondering if it would still be possible, by chance, to use the UO Third Dawn client even though it has been discontinued. Maybe by a private shard or something along those lines? Just a thought, I liked that client a lot for some reason, haha. Thank you :)

W

Woodsman

Without getting into the tech really deep, some of which I don't understand, no, it's not possible. There are 3rd party attempts at 3D clients for UO for free shards, but the official UO? No. The 3D client was discontinued 5 years ago. Many things client-side have been rewritten since then, and so there are all kinds of technical/system hurdles involved due to incompatibility.

I have to admit, I wish that when they killed off KR, they had brought back the 3D client and updated it. If the 3D client had been a lot better supported over the last 10 years, it would be very nice, especially in regards to resolution. I was reading about Elder Scrolls Online, and how many of the people in charge of UO when the Third Dawn client came out all left to go with Richard Garriott to his new company, and some may have been laid off as well or left to go elsewhere. That was the start of UO's client problems. Release a brand new client, then lose a bunch of the people who were driving it, bringing in a completely new group of people.

The EC engine does support 3D, and I hope someday we see it in the game.

M

magi822

thank you very much for that answer. The new client isn't my favorite. I agree on many of the points you made, but at least now I know it can't be done. Thanks again.