• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

1st Annual Siege Death Robe Massacre

• Thread starter Paul the Samurai
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
P

Paul the Samurai

So here is an event that may be fun for everyone to do.
A massive battle in which no one has to worry about loosing anything good and that should be a lot of fun.
The battle will take place in Ilshenar at the green empty planes north and east of Sacrifice.
All participants show up with nothing but your death robe and one Siege Blessed weapon. There will be dye tubs provided so that teams can dye their robes same color. 2-4 teams depending on the number of people that will show up.
No horses, no ethys, no pets. Everyone on foot. Don't bring any supplies or armor, only your one blessed weapon.
You can kill nearby monsters for armor/regs/supplies (there are brigands, ratmen, meerpeople around).
How will we res you say?
Just to the North of the battlefield are PLENTY of red and blue healers.
What will I win? Bragging rights.

Tentative time would be either late saturday or sunday afternoon next weekend. This would give enought time for the word to get out.

G

Sounds fun!

So are you wanting a "last player standing" sort of thing? Free for all combat until everyone or nearly everyone is dead, and/or just keep going, until you get bored?

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

So here is an event that may be fun for everyone to do.
A massive battle in which no one has to worry about loosing anything good and that should be a lot of fun.
The battle will take place in Ilshenar at the green empty planes north and east of Sacrifice.
All participants show up with nothing but your death robe and one Siege Blessed weapon. There will be dye tubs provided so that teams can dye their robes same color. 2-4 teams depending on the number of people that will show up.
No horses, no ethys, no pets. Everyone on foot. Don't bring any supplies or armor, only your one blessed weapon.
You can kill nearby monsters for armor/regs/supplies (there are brigands, ratmen, meerpeople around).
How will we res you say?
Just to the North of the battlefield are PLENTY of red and blue healers.
What will I win? Bragging rights.

Tentative time would be either late saturday or sunday afternoon next weekend. This would give enought time for the word to get out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like fun!

But are us pure mages screwed? :'(

G

Maybe Siege bless a piece of arcane clothing, and bring a throw away mage weapon? That would give your 24 guaranteed spell casts, and a back up for defense (until someone swiped it from you
).

-Skylark

A

Azural Kane

This idea is decent but it's incredibly unbalanced... mages and necromancers would be completely screwed, while dexxers don't use regs or most other essential consumables. This needs some revision.

I

imported_mo'gluk

what like duels don't favor mages? i think a dexxer oriented event is perfectly alright gives you mages a challenge

G

Can't bless arcane clothing.

I think you can't even siege bless it.

So, this is pretty much a dexer/mage-weapon event.

I'll be there!

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

what like duels don't favor mages? i think a dexxer oriented event is perfectly alright gives you mages a challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I was referring to the lack of reagents. Y'know those things mages need to be able to, y'know, cast?

My point was that dexxers/chiv users require no regs to cast while mages do. Mages wouldn't be able to compete in this tournament.

I

imported_mo'gluk

well I think that you generic version of a mage wont be able to compete ... but I think there are lots of alternatives... I will think of ways to help mages but I think mages are still the toughest template in the game... so I think that if you think hard enough you can work around it...

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

well I think that you generic version of a mage wont be able to compete ... but I think there are lots of alternatives... I will think of ways to help mages but I think mages are still the toughest template in the game... so I think that if you think hard enough you can work around it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I'll just disarm / para blow everyone while I run around in circles as they chiv heal...?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I'll just disarm / para blow everyone while I run around in circles as they chiv heal...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan! Me and you can get a squad of wrestlers together and let loose teh amazing ganks!

Even though you're orange. :p

I

imported_mo'gluk

there has to be a way for mage s to participate without them completely overtaking the event?

if yougive them arcane then they gain the multicapable magery to attack unarmored foes

G

<blockquote><hr>

there has to be a way for mage s to participate without them completely overtaking the event?

if yougive them arcane then they gain the multicapable magery to attack unarmored foes

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, then how about you limit us to... hmm... Magic Arrow, Cure, and Greater Heal? It's like 10 dmg a cast unarmored, or something crazy, though.

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the distinction between a mage attacking someone with arcane who has low fire resist, vs., say, an archer who's allowed to use arrows attacking someone with 10 Phys and LS/AIing them to death in 2 hits?

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the distinction between a mage attacking someone with arcane who has low fire resist, vs., say, an archer who's allowed to use arrows attacking someone with 10 Phys and LS/AIing them to death in 2 hits?

[/ QUOTE ]i truely find it amusing that YOU are complaining about unfair advantages. mind boggling.

I

imported_mo'gluk

well I guess if you have no resist your physical would be about 10, but the mage could control the battle field.... an archer with no arrows? the mage could keep the archer off balance and prevent him form really winning... especially if 2+ mages started working together.... unless you start throwing tamers in Mages are bar none the most powerful templates.... control, healing, damages, debuffs..... summon creatures.... area effect to unhide stealthers.... to me a mage in acontrolled atmosphere has a lot of pluses... thats why a little care has to be taken... and if the name of the event is the death robe massacre... I think the traditional mage is is going to be roughed up.. but there are plenty of alternatives

A

Azural Kane

I find it amusing that you don't know what you're talking about Goron, but hey, who's counting?

BTW, to Calibretto, re your post the other day, I do appreciate your honesty and clarification. Seems rare these days.

P

Paul the Samurai

So I am a mage myself, and I realize the severe penalty that comes with the rules. But in this type of an event a mage with a bag full of regs is at a serious advantage, because no one has really any magic resist. Any armor that you can get off ratmen and brigands will not help much. A single flamestrike or earthquake will take 85% or more of someones health. So mages have to use the reagents they get off ratmages and meerwarriors sparingly, and wisely, they will have to work as a team with the dexers rather then do the "Rambo" by themselves.
The mage is still allowed to have a mage wepon, so even without reagents they can do damage to the enemy. The team concept will be very important. I think I forgot to mention that no bandages are allowed unless someone makes them out of clothing on the field.
It can not be a last man standing fight, because it will be over too soon, hence the healers.
Fighting till we get bored sounds ok, but perhaps we can think of a designated area (like that little farm between sacrifice and spirituality) that needs to be occupied by a single team for 30 minutes or so in order to win. Sort of a King of the Hill type ending.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

Does anyone wonder why people infrequently plan shard wide events now?

You have Paul here, who's trying his best to plan a shardwide event so people can have fun, and all people do is pancake about how one template is going to have a disadvantage against another template.

If you feel there is an issue, feel free to make a SUGGESTION to Paul about how to better balance this instead of just pancakes. If you don't like it, don't come.

But you know something? For those who enjoy playing UO for the purity of the game, they'll enjoy showing up on their mage with nothing getting pwned by chiv/dexxers and walking around as a ghost seeing what everyone else does.

Yes, chiv/dexers have an advantage over pure mages, but it just means you'll have to be creative.

In fact, I actually think pure mages have an advantage, just bring and bless a damn greater heal wand. You now have a bona-fide weapon, and a way to heal, which is more than a pure dexxer without chiv has. See, 3 seconds of frickin' creativity could have solved half the damn complaining.

Who's going to win this event are those that get to the monsters and kill them and loot them for regs first.

Thanks Paul, I'll be there!

[/ QUOTE ]
good post.

P

Paul the Samurai

So the date of the event will be next Saturday 5pm CST. This way anyone who has evening plans still can make it.
The meeting will be at Sacrifice gate at 4:45Pm CST.
I will keep reposting the concise rules, and reminders all this upcoming week.
Feel free to talk it up in the game, if a rumor would get out that the winning team gets to help themselves to all the loot at Puffy's house or something like that, I wont be mad.

P

P!r@te

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

We work around it

G

I think the winner should be defined by the person who has the most deathrobes in his/her pack at the end of the event!

no cheating tho!

G

<blockquote><hr>

So I am a mage myself, and I realize the severe penalty that comes with the rules. But in this type of an event a mage with a bag full of regs is at a serious advantage, because no one has really any magic resist. Any armor that you can get off ratmen and brigands will not help much. A single flamestrike or earthquake will take 85% or more of someones health. So mages have to use the reagents they get off ratmages and meerwarriors sparingly, and wisely, they will have to work as a team with the dexers rather then do the "Rambo" by themselves.
The mage is still allowed to have a mage wepon, so even without reagents they can do damage to the enemy. The team concept will be very important. I think I forgot to mention that no bandages are allowed unless someone makes them out of clothing on the field.
It can not be a last man standing fight, because it will be over too soon, hence the healers.
Fighting till we get bored sounds ok, but perhaps we can think of a designated area (like that little farm between sacrifice and spirituality) that needs to be occupied by a single team for 30 minutes or so in order to win. Sort of a King of the Hill type ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for offering more details, it helps shape expectations. I personally think objectives make events fun, especially when there is PvP involved, but keeping things simple, and somewhat flexible, for a large, mixed event is probably the best way to ensure a good time for all.

Everyone knows I do not PvP, but I had a very good time organizing an outdoor "PvP" event, a long time ago. Three teams competed fiercely to gain possession of a "treasure" and drag it back to their spectacular (
) fortified crate bases. A win was successfully getting the chest on the cloth squares in the team's respective base, long enough for the referee to record it. At the end we busted it open like a pinata. There were many deaths, and a lot of laughs. No one cared about their template or what they had equipped (everyone knew in advance and only arrived in things they were not concerned about losing). A few other crafter types participated (in fact, Miranda cracked us up by chopping trees in the field and making decoy chests. She tricked more than one person that way, while helping to drag the real chest to victory on her non-combat character.

No matter what you do, though...realize that someone will not be happy with how it is arranged. Just remember, it is your event/idea. Organize it how you want, and as Bruin says, those who like the concept will come. Make sure it is fun for you, too.

-Skylark

W

Whutupcuz

yes lets see.....blessed ninja belt with DP charges.....and a dped siege blessed kyrss combined with hide stealth hmm sounds fun bleh

I

imported_mo'gluk

I would try to keep it as "naked" as possible....

make a clear measurable goal....

1. control a point (chosen and seen by a judge)
2. collect an item (deathrobes, gold, some nic-nac)
3. teams (make clear either you can make a team or its a one man show....)

I think with this being a heavily unarmored event no pets can be allowed....which tends to be common in most events....

this actually has me excited to bring back in my last orc standing event...

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i can understand why you wouldnt want to see my dragon . hehe . but would i be allowed to tame up some local critters ?

G

sounds like a fun idea.

but a few stealther tamers could really [censored] it up, and i bet there will be at least 5.

G

Well.

I suppose it would've been better if the OP didn't invite any mages. Naked mage vs. super dexer weapon. Yeah. Stupid.

/thread.

JasmineSP

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shouting "all kill" to a pack of timberwolves to attack any red nearby, kinda takes me back to my "youth" on Siege.

It didn't work out so well and there was the wisp problem every young tamer faces here, but still, good times.

Colored cloaks work well for team scoring. They're worthless, lootable and easy to identify. Most cloaks wins. Just a thought.