• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

15th Anniversary Robe Status

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ouch. Frodo. I dont answer your question but the vanity-aspect is unfair. Imagine you could buy olympic gold-medals... They are not rare, hundreds, thousands out there. But you you have to work for them, right?

It's okay, I made my point, we don't agree, life will go on. See you in another thread...
This is a GAME and has nothing to do with real life. Would you like a Purple Heart too.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You didn't just compare pixels in a game to Olympic Gold medals.......................... There are thousands of Purple Hearts out there and I am unfortunate enough to have 1. The last thing I would do is compare that to a game item, or anything that that took REAL work and sacrifice to earn. Or in my case a real bullet lodged against the bone in a real leg for others a coffin. For Olympians thousands of hours of training and single minded determination to be the best in the world. You are seriously going to compare parking that ass at keyboard and playing a video game to those things?
AMEN BROTHER. 21 years retired defending the rights of others to say things that literally makes my blood boil.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think this thread has gone off the deep end.

If no one that is buying them cares, then just rename them to whatever.

It seems everyone is worried about what another person is getting.

One side is worried that the people buying is getting what they have, and the other side is worried they're not getting what the others have.

Seems pretty petty to me.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ouch. Frodo. I dont answer your question but the vanity-aspect is unfair. Imagine you could buy olympic gold-medals... They are not rare, hundreds, thousands out there. But you you have to work for them, right?

It's okay, I made my point, we don't agree, life will go on. See you in another thread...
Do you think that if someone decided to start selling gold medals that true Olympians would somehow feel devalued? They know the effort they put into getting theirs and nothing can change it. IMO, what is handed out as the "reward" really doesn't make two bits worth of difference... Gold medals or lollipops... It is the personal satisfaction of having achieved something that can't be taken away.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good argument. I have to consider that. I was not talking about purple hearts, I dont even know what that is. And yes, doing RL-sports and killing 2000 Navreys can be compared, indeed. Saying that as a sportsman.... The void pool competition, all competitions and trainings can be compared, be it in RL or in a game. In south korea they have professional online gamers... See you around.

I am fine! It's okay...

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good argument. I have to consider that. I was not talking about purple hearts, I dont even know what that is. And yes, doing RL-sports and killing 2000 Navreys can be compared, indeed. Saying that as a sportsman.... The void pool competition, all competitions and trainings can be compared, be it in RL or in a game. In south korea they have professional online gamers... See you around.

I am fine! It's okay...
If that is your way of thinking then you are anything but fine!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I am fine! It's okay...
The Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the President to those wounded or killed while serving, on or after April 5, 1917, with the U.S. military.
NO ONE goes out to earn these but for those select few that were awarded them they have the painful memory, that will never go away, of a tragic event or they are dead.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for clarifying, Frodo! As I said, I didn't post anything about this and I wouldn't.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not quite sure what to make if the fact that I agree with Spock on this one...

The only justification for wanting something to remain "rare" is to retain a higher gold value. Plain and simple. If that is all that matters to you, well IMO, you are playing the game for the wrong reason.

No one, and no additional items or people having those items changes how you got yours or how I got mine. I have a fair share of EM items, not ones I bought, ones I got myself. The value they have for ME is that I got them... but they are FAR from what I consider my most treasured items. If I had to choose between my event item collection and the 1 spear made by my friend back in 2000... I wouldn't even have to think twice.
Obviousely the only ones caring about the gold value is people like spok who took part to get some to sell em. I think the otjr people Posting are more into the value of the item for themself as they took part in something which were they rewarded for.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Obviousely the only ones caring about the gold value is people like spok who took part to get some to sell em. I think the otjr people Posting are more into the value of the item for themself as they took part in something which were they rewarded for.
Spok is open about his motivation related to the reward, while I don't agree with his approach, his reasoning regarding sentimental value and monetary value is sound. There is no logical reasoning that increasing the availability of something by different means than it was originally obtained would decrease an item's sentimental value.

If you got your reward at the party, that experience is yours. Some peoples sentimental value on that reward is higher than others... and that's ok.

If you submitted a treasured memory and won a robe for sharing... again, that experience can't be taken away.

If you submitted false memories in order to profit from a contest you couldn't win on your own merits... yup, you guessed it... that to is an experience you get to live with that no one can take from you.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just add the Replica tag and everyone will be happy.
If it would have had any other title then I do not think people would have been upset by this but as it denotes a time period not an event then they should all be the same. These were given out over time by the DEVs for other things beside going and meeting them. Anybody that has paid there subs for 15 years should have been given one of these for free. If EA/UO decides to sell these then they should be the same with no exception. It is funny that some people spent $1,800.00+ supporting this game and get nothing but some younger person drives a couple of miles and get a 15th Anniv. Robe or someone writes a story and gets one or someone meets a dev at a in-game meeting and gets one or a year afterwards Mesanna is still handing them out for various reasons but that is ok because they are still holding their gold value but let EA/UO sell them to make real money to support UO then OMG what shall we do they are going to devalue my SPECIAL ROBE, now that is irony.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
And again the "Devs" will look at posts like this and ofc they will "facepalm" hardly...
They probably thought "Hey lets make available a cool an desirable item in the game that for sure people woukd love to have one...and maybe will help us as well to raise some funds for the game...just like the secret chests...that you could only buy them at the japan stores....

BUT than again... more people crying than appreciate....
Yes..just like Norrington said, some people got the originals one at the live event, others at the story contest and many of them ingame were duped as well, she also gave 100+ codes to LLTS guild for been the "oldest guild" or something related. So yes they are NOT rare.
To the Devs i believe this was just a way to make people happy.

This is the same old type of topics that people love to make a scene on it, like when the devs removed the age restriction on the ethereals... do you want me to start on this one too???

Lets just move on

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
confirmed .....back in store soon...no replica tag......no change to colours....as they were intended......and the same price as before.....cant wait

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ask the dark lady yourself ..u have email yes...i have...answer...''back in store very soon exactly as they were''

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this is one item I can care less about. codes to get the robe was given away for free to everyone that showed up. I didn't expect this item not to be sold in the store.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the President to those wounded or killed while serving, on or after April 5, 1917, with the U.S. military.
NO ONE goes out to earn these but for those select few that were awarded them they have the painful memory, that will never go away, of a tragic event or they are dead.
Forrest got the CMH...just sayin...he got shot in the butt tox....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This issue seems settled. That has never stopped me ;) Being a rares collector and often dealer, if anyone can get me to part with stuff lol... I really hate these things being reissued. Rares collecting is a valid form of UO play style and it's mostly what I do. It really hurts the game of collecting/dealing. It's like a major dragon nerf or whatever. If I'm doing something besides collecting it's probably to get the gold to buy rares :p

But I don't have one and I'm really interested in getting one. lol If it had a replica tag I wouldn't be interested. I do have some of the singing balls so it's not like I'm totally unaffected. So at this stage in the game, if that helps keep the lights on at UO, well screw it. Go ahead. *smh* If that is what it takes to keep UO in the green, then so be it. See what value they have when they pull the plug on the servers cause EA ain't getting their cut. I didn't see these in the store though, so who knows what they're doing. It was one of the few things in the store that got my attention. As far as i know they never even addressed the 90 day free game people play, so I don't even care what they do anymore. I've given up on BS doing anything sensible.

I guess I have mixed feelings ;)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just bought another 1000 sov's and to be fair the codes aint working to add the sov's to your account ......so theres probably something fundementally wrong with the site at the moment...

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is one item I can care less about. codes to get the robe was given away for free to everyone that showed up. I didn't expect this item not to be sold in the store.
but u cant just show up if u live the other side of the world....this is a must have store item

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
God forbid they actually kicked out new stuff for the store instead of recycling stuff :) I would assume someone at BS could kick out a new awesome looking robe that was different from the 15th one that people would want. I guess that's what annoys me about the whole thing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
just bought another 1000 sov's and to be fair the codes aint working to add the sov's to your account ......so theres probably something fundementally wrong with the site at the moment...
Since you say you bought "another" 1000 I'm gonna assume you have experience with this. Since I haven't yet I was wondering if you add it to your account in game or do you have to go to account management like when you add an expansion. I assumed it was one had to go to account management. Sorry to hear about your codes.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since you say you bought "another" 1000 I'm gonna assume you have experience with this. Since I haven't yet I was wondering if you add it to your account in game or do you have to go to account management like when you add an expansion. I assumed it was one had to go to account management. Sorry to hear about your codes.
Account Management.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM just helped me ingame [at the weekend too!!] yes u dont put the code in the ingame store like i tried to do....this is were he says lots of folks are going wrong.... u have to do this on the account management page...

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In other news Topps Baseball card company decided to re-release ken griffeys rookie season card. Not only that but they decided to make it so you cant tell the difference between the original and the new card.

Add a replica tag, be done with it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In other news Topps Baseball card company decided to re-release ken griffeys rookie season card. Not only that but they decided to make it so you cant tell the difference between the original and the new card.
This would affect the monetary value of the card, but not the sentimental value of the card for people who got one the first time.

IMO, this item should have been available for a price from day one. Then they could have given away some free ones as rewards (like they did) without making them some perceived "rare".

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Add a replica tag, be done with it.
That would be funny because UO was selling ROBE for $5 and a TOPPS Griffey card may get you $2.50 because TOPPS over produced that card and I am sure that UPPER DECK would love this and even make their under produced Griffey card worth more. It would also be very hard to reproduce the card stock itself. Please this is a Game and if the DEVs would have used any other tag but 15th Anniversary on the robe then this would not be a point. Just because some people could afford to drive a couple of miles to meet the DEVs does not mean that the vast majority that supported this game for those 15 years should have been ignored. Out of all the people there how many people had 15 year old accounts and why was it reported that a lot of people there got more than one robe just for showing up.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This would affect the monetary value of the card, but not the sentimental value of the card for people who got one the first time.

IMO, this item should have been available for a price from day one. Then they could have given away some free ones as rewards (like they did) without making them some perceived "rare".
I would agree that the item should have been available from day one. we wouldnt be in this conversation had UO taken the policy of "if you dont have enough for everyone dont bring any at all"

However, I would disagree that it isnt ruining the nostalgia of the original event for some. Some people made quite the trek to get to the event. At the very least it is leaving a sour taste in the mouths of people that put in the effort of being there. If UO needs to make money that badly i have an idea that would be under the same concept. How about they start selling malas castles and keeps, that would make a ton more money than a robe. :)

I would also argue that adding a replica tag is a simple fix to a problem we shouldnt even be discussing.

The one thing i have learned about UO is you cant make everyone happy. However, you can avoid pissing people off. The latter is what UO needs to focus on. They love losing customers over minuscule issues.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it true that there weren't but 15 people that attended that meeting??? If so, it's sad that all this hullabaloo is just to keep from hurting 15 peoples feelings. Just sell the damned thing in the store and be done with it, no replica tag needed. I got one, I'm not worried about it's value going down...had I got it from the meeting, I would still have the memories of the day. So sell it, well, whenever they get those mysterious delivery problems solved.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure people traveled to the meeting to get a robe (not)... You've had it 4 years, get over it already. People paid $5.00 to get it when it was on the store, so if they modify it then those people get ripped off.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is it true that there weren't but 15 people that attended that meeting??? If so, it's sad that all this hullabaloo is just to keep from hurting 15 peoples feelings. Just sell the damned thing in the store and be done with it, no replica tag needed. I got one, I'm not worried about it's value going down...had I got it from the meeting, I would still have the memories of the day. So sell it, well, whenever they get those mysterious delivery problems solved.
Not sure about the later events that gave out the robes in games, but I can speak for the original event that was done in real life.

There were about 70-100 non-EA people at the 15th anniversary party at Fairfax, many of which were invited by the EMs of the time.

Typically, 2-5 people who were the most active in the RP aspect of EM events, and/or ran their own player-ran events, got invites on each shard. After the RSVPs, the Mythic staff chose people from those who emailed them about wanting to attend. Unlike most events/town halls, they needed to know as close to the actual number attending, as they had to make sure they had seating & parking, had enough food, and wouldn't anger the other building tenants or the fire marshal.
About 4-6 of us were from Stratics - and half of us were there not because of Stratics, but because of our activity on our shard during events. They even forgot to announce me and the guy I rode in with as being from Stratics, because the Stratics officers at the time that did attend (and presented the staff with a plaque or something), somehow repeatedly missed our telling them we'd be there.

Most non-Asian shards were represented (if not all; can't remember if both Europa and Drach were represented, or if someone from Oceania made it). There were many people from the eastern US shards, not so many for the western ones. (I was the only Lake Austin person that attended, as far as I know - and that was because I came from Kentucky).

On what was effectively a coin flip, one side of the audience got TWO sets of codes for robes, singing balls and combination chests, because they had enough card sets in case everyone invited showed, and only about 2/3 were able to.

When they did the event, they were juggling an in-game event and an in-person event at the SAME TIME.

My particular robe will never be sold, and as far as know, I never heard who - if anyone - won a robe on LA (for the story event), so at best they would be extremely rare on my home shard. Past experience is that too many things that get awarded/handed out on LA don't stay there.

I have always wanted the design to be available for others... But the name should be appropriate to distinguish between the originals and the later iterations.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure about the later events that gave out the robes in games, but I can speak for the original event that was done in real life.

There were about 70-100 non-EA people at the 15th anniversary party at Fairfax, many of which were invited by the EMs of the time.

Typically, 2-5 people who were the most active in the RP aspect of EM events, and/or ran their own player-ran events, got invites on each shard. After the RSVPs, the Mythic staff chose people from those who emailed them about wanting to attend. Unlike most events/town halls, they needed to know as close to the actual number attending, as they had to make sure they had seating & parking, had enough food, and wouldn't anger the other building tenants or the fire marshal.
About 4-6 of us were from Stratics - and half of us were there not because of Stratics, but because of our activity on our shard during events. They even forgot to announce me and the guy I rode in with as being from Stratics, because the Stratics officers at the time that did attend (and presented the staff with a plaque or something), somehow repeatedly missed our telling them we'd be there.

Most non-Asian shards were represented (if not all; can't remember if both Europa and Drach were represented, or if someone from Oceania made it). There were many people from the eastern US shards, not so many for the western ones. (I was the only Lake Austin person that attended, as far as I know - and that was because I came from Kentucky).

On what was effectively a coin flip, one side of the audience got TWO sets of codes for robes, singing balls and combination chests, because they had enough card sets in case everyone invited showed, and only about 2/3 were able to.

When they did the event, they were juggling an in-game event and an in-person event at the SAME TIME.

My particular robe will never be sold, and as far as know, I never heard who - if anyone - won a robe on LA (for the story event), so at best they would be extremely rare on my home shard. Past experience is that too many things that get awarded/handed out on LA don't stay there.

I have always wanted the design to be available for others... But the name should be appropriate to distinguish between the originals and the later iterations.
%200 agree and they should rename all the original ones to an event name and call the new one 15th Anniversary Robes as it denoted a time period in UO not an event. Out of the 90-100 people present in your estimation how many do you really think had accounts as old as 15 years? You yourself admitted that the only reason you went is because you knew you were going to be in Kentucky so it was not that long of a trip. How many do you think that were from very far away came there just for that or did they show up because they happen to be in the area. Most thing like that usually have a farthest traveled award or some such recognition. Sad UO did do something like that.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
%200 agree and they should rename all the original ones to an event name and call the new one 15th Anniversary Robes as it denoted a time period in UO not an event. Out of the 90-100 people present in your estimation how many do you really think had accounts as old as 15 years? You yourself admitted that the only reason you went is because you knew you were going to be in Kentucky so it was not that long of a trip. How many do you think that were from very far away came there just for that or did they show up because they happen to be in the area. Most thing like that usually have a farthest traveled award or some such recognition. Sad UO did do something like that.
It wasn't a robe for "15 year old accounts" - it was a robe for attending or contributing to (for the contest winners) the game's 15th anniversary party. BIG Difference. Restricting it to people with only 15-year accounts would have made it a veteran reward.

You don't say that pictures of a couple's 15th anniversary party exclude newer friends and their children 14 and younger - but at the same token, you don't expect to see a kid born a decade into the marriage in the wedding photo shoot (unless his name's Marty McFly)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just add the Replica tag and everyone will be happy.
no they bloody wont...if they are stupid enough add a replica tag to this anni robe...then they may as well start selling $5 x 2 story statues with a [replica] tag ....and [replica] mandrake root etc etc etc....then EVERYONE will be happy!!!!

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just to clarify again...i and a few others have asked Mesanna via email and they will be back in store as the original for the same price...they were not taken down because folks complained.... there was a hitch....the folks that already had one 4 years... yah you enjoyed the time showing off....the people that already boght the $5 ones form the store fair play for being quick of the mark b4 the hitch..... for those that are still waiting to buy the $5 momento...just be patient...coming back in the store very soon...

many thanks THP-LandStalker General

LlamaOnDrugs

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no they bloody wont...if they are stupid enough add a replica tag to this anni robe...then they may as well start selling $5 x 2 story statues with a [replica] tag ....and [replica] mandrake root etc etc etc....then EVERYONE will be happy!!!!
Wait, so you don't think it's okay to sell the two story statue? Interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the deco goodies from years past should be made available from the store for those who have joined the game since they were offered or have left boring way to safe prodo and gone to Siege where you can't transfer items from prodo.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the deco goodies from years past should be made available from the store for those who have joined the game since they were offered or have left boring way to safe prodo and gone to Siege where you can't transfer items from prodo.
Everything should be available in this store..vet rewards, resources, silly robes, everything. This is supposed to be a business, and businesses are in business to make money. Put stuff in store, sell stuff, make money, succeed in business...damn.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything should be available in this store..vet rewards, resources, silly robes, everything. This is supposed to be a business, and businesses are in business to make money. Put stuff in store, sell stuff, make money, succeed in business...damn.
to be fair this does make sense.... would certainly keep the UO wheels turning for many years methinks and future expansions galore....interesting!!!