• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

120 music not necessary?

5% Luck

Since adding in the barding masteries is having 120 music even necessary anymore?

I just brought my new bard to doom and did a few rounds the gauntlet and a few times through I realized I never ate the 120 music scroll and was doing fine.

Once in a while the discord was tough to pull off maybe 5-8 fails(provok mastery active) but it seemed easier then I remember it from before masteries.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
it gives you the bonus and makes barding higher end stuff easier.

so do you need it.

no.

does it pay to invest 20 points into it?

depends.

5% Luck

Last time I had a bard in doom was pre SA. Im just saying how much easier that was compared to my old bard that did have 120 music. I failed...less.

I know I would have an easier time but even the discords on the 160 were around 80% 1st try. When I did fail it took about 5-8 tries ,around the same as my 120 music bard for all 160s ,and back then that was acceptable.

Im not saying I dont have the points.... I do but it seems that going to 100% on a 160 makes this like taming mongbats.

Ill have to test on the peerless next and post my results but Im thinking the extra points will get droped from my ring and fc added which is nice but not planed for.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just brought my new bard to doom and did a few rounds the gauntlet and a few times through I realized I never ate the 120 music scroll and was doing fine.

5% Luck said:

Ill have to test on the peerless next and post my results but Im thinking the extra points will get droped from my ring and fc added which is nice but not planed for.

Are you talking about "soloing" Doom and Peerless with a Bard ??

If so, may I ask what your template is and armor ?

Thanks.

5% Luck

I am heavily dependent on skill+ items

120 provok
120 discord
120 magery
120 music
100 resist(w/protection up)
100 eval
100 med

I did add the music and its worth the points!

thats 780 skill points. I have 106 (821),(715 cap)on the jewelry slots right now. Thats 41 points to spaer. Just getting to the point where I am neatening things up a bit. Im going to go 120 resist (21 spare)with protection up and maybe 120 eval (1 spare)

I use the shroud of decite and the rest is imbued. I also use a Crimson, Tangles are nice but the 5 dex keeps me from getting stmed and the HPR set it up so when I do the bard-->invisi rinse and repeat I dont need to heal much.

Works out to be:
8 MR, 8 HPR, 35 MI, HPI 15, LRC 100, LMC 40, dex 5 70/70/70/70/75 121 hp 15 stm 162 mana with no stat scroll and the robe/cape slots are still not fitted the way I like yet.

ring and brace both have 13 provoke/discord/resist/magery and 1 eval int

The resist is the heart and soul of this template! Maxing it out even when protection is up is a must. No peace!

I carry slayer books of all types and a scrapers, a pyro staff(undead), swords of prosperity and a chaos shield(vesper) My talisman is totem of the void w/45 Lich lord proct :)

As far as peerless go Soloing them is tough and slow. Unless there is other spawn around (CHAMPS) Im reliant on summons and or slayer book damage which is low compared to some other template types. But where I really fly is gathering keys and mini champs I just cant crack open lvl 3 on the big champs yet.(tweaking inbound)

Bards have been soloing doom for years now. Before the sampire invasion Thats all Id see down there. Now the sampire look at me a laugh untill the see me looting every corpse. Had one guy even aplogize when he showed up saying I wasnt going to get credit anymore LOL I gave him a run for his money!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am heavily dependent on skill+ items

120 provok
120 discord
120 magery
120 music
100 resist(w/protection up)
100 eval
100 med

I did add the music and its worth the points!

thats 780 skill points. I have 106 (821),(715 cap)on the jewelry slots right now. Thats 41 points to spaer. Just getting to the point where I am neatening things up a bit. Im going to go 120 resist (21 spare)with protection up and maybe 120 eval (1 spare)

Thank you for your detailed explaination.

Since I noticed you mentioned in one of your Posts using Bard Masteries, may I ask if the 100 Meditation + 8 MR on the suit is enough to cope with the Bard Masteries mana requirement + whatever Mana you need from casting spells ?
I assume your suit is all medable......

That is, do you feel you have enough Mana at all times, even when running Bard Masteries, or is Mana a problem ?

5% Luck

Thank you for your detailed explaination.

Since I noticed you mentioned in one of your Posts using Bard Masteries, may I ask if the 100 Meditation + 8 MR on the suit is enough to cope with the Bard Masteries mana requirement + whatever Mana you need from casting spells ?
I assume your suit is all medable......

That is, do you feel you have enough Mana at all times, even when running Bard Masteries, or is Mana a problem ?
The bigest issue I have with mana is when there are no bardables and I have a champ/peerless/paragon what have you out and raging. I will mana dump get to a "secure" spot med and blaze back in and dump again. I have considered going human JoaT droping med and replacing with spirit speak but that seemed a but of a chore for the rest of the time.

As far as the spell songs some of them are nice while in a party (heh bards are supposed to be the life of the party right?) but on solo adventures I dont find myself using them. Its the mastery bump in success that really matters!

For 90% of how I play this char its more about HPR then MR and I tried to balance them both 8&8 seemed the best option and it is enough to discord-invisi prvo-invisi rince and repeat! I have enough passive MR to cast lvl 5 spells near forever and lvl 4 without losing any mana. Thats at 0/0 FC/FCR When I don the scrapper/chaos shield drop protection I tend to use up more mana but at that point it is usualy a safe bet the fights going to be over before 160+ mana is spent.

The other thing to note is summons. Most times as I do the barding/invisi cycle I drop EVs and or EQs and still my mana lasts for a long while as does my 120 magery summons during lower lvl spawns. When I am engaged with a boss I skip the summons in favor of #1 bardable mobs and #2 slayer book damage. When #1&#2 are not an option I find another fight!