• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Request for decent Low level pet training mobs.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Mesanna

Can we get a few mobs that give better than "slightly" gains for low level pets (1 and 2 slot pets)
Once you get them to say 3 slot then it's fine to go hunt the bigger "top end" mobs but if your trying to train a say 1 slot pet, you're stuck to endless grinding on naff mobs for naff gains.
And I don't want to hear players saying "well get a 4 slot pet to tank while you use the 1 slot also".....that's not the point.

Any chance of making it a tiered system so a 1 slot gets good gains but a 3 slot wouldn't so that it wouldn't be abused.?

Personally I think the 1st 2 slots should be a lot faster so you can try different setups with your pet, at the moment it can take 7 days for it just to bond, then a further week just to massively grind the 1st slot to make it a 2 slot pet.

In comparison, a 3 slot pet can be taken to a 5 slot pet within a few hours, why are you punishing the low level player again with another new system??

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried wrong dungeon?
I gave it a look but with the 1st mobs you encounter (lizardmen) having 70+ resist in physical and 50+ in everything else....it was a quick visit.
They only gave "slightly" increases too.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Try having a 3 slot pet like a cu tank while your other pet nibbles on the mob's heels.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The slightly increases vary...watch what % your pet gains each time. On some mobs a ~Slightly~ Gain will net me .01% while on another mob a ~Slightly~ gain will net me .06% or more....so even though it still says ~Slightly~ it's more....just keep testing until you get the highest %. Most mobs will give slightly gains..if you want greatly gains you need to fight the big bosses and champs and stuff which is not wise for a 1-slotter..but trust me, if you find the right mob, even the slightly gains are pretty good.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I agree that the time it takes to get a pet to 3 slots needs to be much, much shorter. Half or even less the time it takes now.
That being said, I had 1 slot pets tank the Crazed while spamming bandages and GHeal simultaneously for 20 minutes. That's exhausting work and doesn't always work.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree that the time it takes to get a pet to 3 slots needs to be much, much shorter. Half or even less the time it takes now.
That being said, I had 1 slot pets tank the Crazed while spamming bandages and GHeal simultaneously for 20 minutes. That's exhausting work and doesn't always work.
Vetting with Consume Damage works for many pets too.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really only the first level up from 1 to 2 should be difficult. After that raise hit points and energy resist and you can get greater gains off uevs until level 5.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna

Can we get a few mobs that give better than "slightly" gains for low level pets (1 and 2 slot pets)
Once you get them to say 3 slot then it's fine to go hunt the bigger "top end" mobs but if your trying to train a say 1 slot pet, you're stuck to endless grinding on naff mobs for naff gains.
And I don't want to hear players saying "well get a 4 slot pet to tank while you use the 1 slot also".....that's not the point.

Any chance of making it a tiered system so a 1 slot gets good gains but a 3 slot wouldn't so that it wouldn't be abused.?

Personally I think the 1st 2 slots should be a lot faster so you can try different setups with your pet, at the moment it can take 7 days for it just to bond, then a further week just to massively grind the 1st slot to make it a 2 slot pet.

In comparison, a 3 slot pet can be taken to a 5 slot pet within a few hours, why are you punishing the low level player again with another new system??
Run down to shame lvl 5 and mark a rune. Crazy Mage FTW. Sometimes you get 80% on a low wrestling pet. Sometimes 25% But a new one will be there tomorrow. Better than slightly. Only 1 pet can gain decent at a time.

They should have based gains on HP comparison between pet and victim.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Vetting with Consume Damage works for many pets too.
That would be really nice if everyone was fortunate enough to have a level 3 taming mastery... but at 50Mil + that's not really an option for everyone.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And lvl 5 shame doesn't work if you're training a bull....(Yes....a bull...bull fights on Siege next month!!!) Sooo...any suggestions for pets that have like...68 HP? :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And lvl 5 shame doesn't work if you're training a bull....(Yes....a bull...bull fights on Siege next month!!!) Sooo...any suggestions for pets that have like...68 HP? :)
Can you have someone tank the Crazed Mage for you? ..... guessing getting down there on Siege is a problem...

I'd suggest having someone tank Balrons or something like Ancient Wyrms for you perhaps. Gains will be a LOT slower... OR ... have someone tanking on a Night Terror in Ter Mur. Your bull will die..... ALOT but it'll probably hit 100 a lot faster doing that.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cannot say I've ever noticed any training gains from vetting the pet?
A real annoyance though is when you set your pet on the mob, use about 4 bandies and then the mob targets you.......so you cast greater heal on yourself and while that's going on it switches back to the pet and wipes it out while you were busy.......

We got really clever mobs in Sosaria.....

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
lol very true!

I also notice that when I do use my Cu to tank for my bull, my Cu gets most of the training gains. My bull might get 1 out of every 10 because it's not taking the damage....so it's just as slow as killing bears with it solo lol :(

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lure an allosaurus into the Sakk village and let it agro on one of the villagers... then put the bull in. If you can discord it, all the better. The gains will be greatly gains, but will be slow since your pet is not the tank and it will have a harder time hitting it due to high wrestling skill. But it is doable solo.

Another option is to tame a rune beetle or Najasaurus with good physical and poison resist and run consume damage on it. You should be able to control it and the bull at the same time, just make sure the bull is not the main pet.

Allosaurus - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
lol very true!

I also notice that when I do use my Cu to tank for my bull, my Cu gets most of the training gains. My bull might get 1 out of every 10 because it's not taking the damage....so it's just as slow as killing bears with it solo lol :(
Try the same thing but fight a swoop, my other pet was getting good-fair gains. Also, I wasn't training a bull, it was a unicorn and maybe it got gains because it was casting magic.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A properly trained up bull should be fairly high end honestly. :p

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A properly trained up bull should be fairly high end honestly. :p
Oh he's gonna be..I hope! It's GETTING it there that's the problem....tried on void critters....he died..a LOT.....11% now.....slow going....very slow! Trying to find things that my Cu won't chew up too fast but nothing too hard that if it switches targets to my bull it dies..which happened a lot yesterday....I'll work it out....I hope!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've a horse gaining 'fairly' on ortanords, but I have to try to find one that's all alone.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've a horse gaining 'fairly' on ortanords, but I have to try to find one that's all alone.
So I tried this....great idea! BUT 99% of the time I get ~Your pet does not appear to train from this~

When I DO get a gain, it is fairly and quite good....went from 11% to 25% in about 30 minutes so that's not too bad...thanks for that idea Petra!!

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
1slot pets with stats below 125 are actually not a problem - let it fight till it hits str/dex 125, or pull a bunch of spellbinders and have them debuff your pet till resist is max, then stats gain automatically. (I did Haven first, then Ice Isle with my 46hp small hellcat)
At 125 str, the pet will also have 125 hp, and a 125 hp pet won't be killed in one hit by the crazed mages.
It will be shaky though until you got at least 1 level up in, you need resists, hp regen and hitpoints.

After its first levelup, I usually park my pet in a Brigand camp to get their skills up to 80ish, from there on it's a smooth experience.

For a 1slot pet, Consume Damage doesn't do much btw.
It's the pets with high HP to start with that get most out of it.

When I run with my discording Nightmare, I use Peace Masteries. Just not at the Crazed, I'm not too keen on having my gear destroyed by tainted mana debuff damage.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Solen Workers in the hive to start and the graduate it to solen warriors outside the anthouse in the Vesper woods :) LOL I have a training house for everything and everyones levels to gain on Siege. If you need friended to the Zento hub house you can use the tile upstairs to get to the roof of the island keep where the private hub is.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
1slot pets with stats below 125 are actually not a problem - let it fight till it hits str/dex 125, or pull a bunch of spellbinders and have them debuff your pet till resist is max, then stats gain automatically. (I did Haven first, then Ice Isle with my 46hp small hellcat)
At 125 str, the pet will also have 125 hp, and a 125 hp pet won't be killed in one hit by the crazed mages.
It will be shaky though until you got at least 1 level up in, you need resists, hp regen and hitpoints.

After its first levelup, I usually park my pet in a Brigand camp to get their skills up to 80ish, from there on it's a smooth experience.

For a 1slot pet, Consume Damage doesn't do much btw.
It's the pets with high HP to start with that get most out of it.

When I run with my discording Nightmare, I use Peace Masteries. Just not at the Crazed, I'm not too keen on having my gear destroyed by tainted mana debuff damage.
Okay first...I'm on Siege so no spellbinders ;) I ran it past moonglow cemetery and the wraiths can one-shot it.....125 str does NOT always equal 125 HP:

bull.jpg

So you're suggestions won't work :)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Tyrath....solen workers give it .06% gains...so that's not too shabby either...AND I get zoogi! ;)

So thank you for another option!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Crazy mage works on anything. A dread spider is more squishy than a bull.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tyrath....solen workers give it .06% gains...so that's not too shabby either...AND I get zoogi! ;)

So thank you for another option!
I am also getting the *Stinky Time* (Hey It is a Orc SHip) Stocked up for Pirate hunting on Siege After I take a break from making all these fuse cords and ammo made. you are welcome to come along and beat on the Pirate..... I will take .70 1.5 2.5 1.25 gains over .06 any day :)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Crazy mage works on anything. A dread spider is more squishy than a bull.
Harder on Siege...no marking runes...not gonna run a bull all the way through the dungeon ;) But thanks....the Ortanords work the best for fast gains on this guy.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am also getting the *Stinky Time* (Hey It is a Orc SHip) Stocked up for Pirate hunting on Siege After I take a break from making all these fuse cords and ammo made. you are welcome to come along and beat on the Pirate..... I will take .70 1.5 2.5 1.25 gains over .06 any day :)
I would love to, unfortunately I don't have much time today..my youngest is graduating the 8th grade and the ~Promotion~ ceremony is in a few hours....:/

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Harder on Siege...no marking runes...not gonna run a bull all the way through the dungeon ;) But thanks....the Ortanords work the best for fast gains on this guy.
I always get this with them.

upload_2017-5-23_14-29-53.png

That's how I found out Night Terrors work.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to, unfortunately I don't have much time today..my youngest is graduating the 8th grade and the ~Promotion~ ceremony is in a few hours....:/
@Tyrath is heading back to siege. He has trained a mongbat. I'm sure he will help you when yall are online together.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

View attachment 67142

Yeah if I feel like rezzing my bull every second...

I get that message too more then I get gains but when I do get a gain it's significant...so those, at least right now, are the best gains for my poor little bull lol.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

View attachment 67142

Yeah I get that about 99% of the time with the bull too...night terror one-shots it, my Cu isn't fully trained yet so he can't tank..BUT when I do get a gain off an ortanord it's a fairly gain of about .2ish...or more I can't remember..will re-commence ortanord training later this evening.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much of a scale.

It shouldn't take the same level of monster to get Greatly gains for a 1 slot that it does for a 4 slot.

Not that pet training is difficult, but 1 slot pets are definitely the most annoying. 1 Slot pets should really get greatly gains from fighting damn near anything in my opinion.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I get that about 99% of the time with the bull too...night terror one-shots it, my Cu isn't fully trained yet so he can't tank..BUT when I do get a gain off an ortanord it's a fairly gain of about .2ish...or more I can't remember..will re-commence ortanord training later this evening.
Go to Navrey when others are there. Low wrestling pets get 6% per Navrey, That's better than .2. Id go insane if I had to train with slightly and fairlys.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm not a power-leveler...I play to have fun...test different mobs, see what works best...kill stuff and make gold in the process.....seems everyone else here has maxed out many many pets...I have yet to max out one....I like taking my time...making things last....why rush?

(Except with this bull cus bull-fighting is coming up fast and I need to get him trained!! lol )

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
I'm not a power-leveler...I play to have fun...test different mobs, see what works best...kill stuff and make gold in the process.....seems everyone else here has maxed out many many pets...I have yet to max out one....I like taking my time...making things last....why rush?

(Except with this bull cus bull-fighting is coming up fast and I need to get him trained!! lol )
Tauro Tauro!!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lure an allosaurus into the Sakk village and let it agro on one of the villagers... then put the bull in. If you can discord it, all the better. The gains will be greatly gains, but will be slow since your pet is not the tank and it will have a harder time hitting it due to high wrestling skill. But it is doable solo.

Another option is to tame a rune beetle or Najasaurus with good physical and poison resist and run consume damage on it. You should be able to control it and the bull at the same time, just make sure the bull is not the main pet.

Allosaurus - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Yeah I just had a 3 slot tank greater dragons. Takes a looooong ass time, but they gain like .60 a gain.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh he's gonna be..I hope! It's GETTING it there that's the problem....tried on void critters....he died..a LOT.....11% now.....slow going....very slow! Trying to find things that my Cu won't chew up too fast but nothing too hard that if it switches targets to my bull it dies..which happened a lot yesterday....I'll work it out....I hope!
I've trained up a few lesser animals to 3 slots, and they can handle themselves very well. Haven't tried any on a boss or anything, but they can kill greater dragons, haven't tried Miasma yet, but I bet they can take it. 4 slotter should be pretty solid. :p

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

With the new system the going from the initial slot to the final slots just beg to be powered through, so you can begin hunting and training up the skills. While I used the shadow Els to fast train skills up in my testing, i normally get gains through actual game play and hunting on pets and characters.

The Bull Fighting should be interesting I have to get the Bronze BullChitter bonded! He is on his last stretch to 4 slots, tamed him a 8pm last night and got him to 3 slot and on his way to 4 by 10:30PM Even on Dread Pirates getting through the training from 1 slot to 2 and 2 to 3 slot is a bit time consuming with the .70 gains 1-2 and 1.5 for 2-3 at those slots, but you can get 150% on one pirate from 1-2 and 100% on one pirate from 2-3. 3-4 goes A LOT faster with 2.5 per gain but can only pull 50% per pirate so it takes 2. 4-5 slot the gains drop back down to 1.25 and you can get 25% per pirate. Something I was reminded of last night if you train in fel or on Siege you can heal the Dread Pirate back up to full health (You do become a criminal in doing so) but if you have multiple people or are rotating pets on and off of him it is well worth being grey. Anyway you can get a lot of 1 slot pets trained up to 2 slots on one pirate as long as their wrestling is 50+ they will hit regularly for the gains and only do 2-7 damage on a pirate with like 5000 HP and fast HPR.

Anyway I can show my bulls build and give the other bull fighters a edge :) But he should be a brutal competitor in the fights. I doubt anyone expected my Mongbat character to be a legendary tamer since I usually run her around as a mage/mystic dropping RCs and Greater healing everyone else :) Wish I had the scrolls to bump the Bull to atleast 110s for the fight but spending the points on other things should more than compensate. Just can't justify spending my Siege Scrolls on a bull :(

BUll.png

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like most people are missing the point. It's great that you can run multiple accounts and let your 5 slot whatever tank while your other account's 1 slot pets hit something. That may be the most efficient way, but there should always be more options that allow people to actually play the game. It's bad design. What would be the downside to 1 slot pets getting accelerated training gains while fighting creatures that are closer to their level of power?

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I only have 1 active account and I do have pets at 2, 3 and 4 slots specifically for tanking purposes when leveling fresh pets. Once a fresh pet has 1 level under their belt, it's usually strong enough to tank itself.

I do agree though, 1 slot pets should get greater gains from damn near anything "monster". Leading a grey animal through the New Haven mines should result in a level up after 2-3 loops.

No matter how powerful your character itself is, you are busy like a one-legged man on an ass-kicking competition when healing a sheep or wolf through 3 earth elementals.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like most people are missing the point. It's great that you can run multiple accounts and let your 5 slot whatever tank while your other account's 1 slot pets hit something. That may be the most efficient way, but there should always be more options that allow people to actually play the game. It's bad design. What would be the downside to 1 slot pets getting accelerated training gains while fighting creatures that are closer to their level of power?
The char I have training the horse I mentioned above is one of 3 only that I have on a new shard. She has 86.5 taming, no masteries and no chance of getting one till I've trained up the archer, which is the 2nd of the 3 chars, to be able to do champ spawns. She has no permanent pets other than the horse she's sitting on.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I took the advice from a post in the tamer forums of using Dread Pirates. Was using a Cu at 3 slots to tank and 2 single slot pets which gained a slot in around a half hour. Then used Cu to tank for each at two slots. The hardest part was making the fuse cords which is a multi step process.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think anyone is missing that point. Just saying there are methods to get it done quickly, and you don't need multiple accounts. Really, I don't think you can play the game all that much with a 1 slot pet. They can't handle anything higher than ogres, and they gain fairly well off of them. Heck I got one of my 1 slotters to like 12% off of munching lizardmen just to get to 125 stats and it didn't' take all that long.