• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is this allowed?

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to the Origin shard right now, look in the Luna bank at a player on a Windrunner. Is that name ok? Not to me.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And apparently they poofed

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure what the character's name was, but I see some pretty obscene names on a daily basis on Atlantic. Nothing ever seems to happen about it. In the old days of UO GM's frequently forced people to change their name, or just renamed the character to a random npc name. I guess they no longer do that.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone who leads us may be fond of bad boys. This is taking bad boys to a whole new level. It is too much for me that it is allowed. I am not thick of skin it seems.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been paged on for my fisherman's guild title. However, I wasn't forced to change it.

I've seen many creative names with word play, most are funny. Unfortunately without knowing what the name you are referring to was/is, it's hard to say if it was over-the-top.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
seriously, as a guy who had his name of his character PANCAKED away from him if i where to ever meet a person in real life that said "waaaa you should not be allowed to have that name it hurts my feelings" i would throat punch them.

im not saying thats a nice thing to do, im just saying its what id do.

its a freak'n adult game on the internet people!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks - had to do some thread clean up regarding political discussion. Let's please not turn topics about this UO game of ours into pseudo-real life political discussions and comparisons. Most of us play for exactly the reason of escaping some of that mumbo jumbo. This was clarified in public announcement from admins noted here Political discussions on Stratics. .

Thank you.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL

I can remember when some people got in trouble for having a char named Colonel Angus...

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This thread is useless
Pretty much sums what i'm thinking, all you can do @Cyrah is page a GM just like most people do DAILY with all the inappropriate language we see in gen chat. Maybe someone did and that's why they poofed like @Nexus said

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This thread is useless without knowing the name in question.
The name was an altered spelling way of saying "ram it in my... (name of a body part I cannot post)"

I was also informed that a GM changed the name to "John Smith" not long after this thread was made. I guess they do still enforce the inappropriate name rules after all.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They definitely still enforce the name rules.

A person in our guild had a play on an obscene name, cant remember the exact words but something along the lines of Jack MeHoff or something of the sort. Had his name changed to something very generic by a gm.

This was within the last few months

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege has had a mildly bad one for some time. I won't say who, those who know know. It's not too terrible but really should never been allowed.

:pirate:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The name was an altered spelling way of saying "ram it in my... (name of a body part I cannot post)"

I was also informed that a GM changed the name to "John Smith" not long after this thread was made. I guess they do still enforce the inappropriate name rules after all.
Which is amusing as I saw it was a female character..

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo basically I should name change my "Eye Peon Yoo" character..man I was RPing an Orc

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sooo basically I should name change my "Eye Peon Yoo" character..man I was RPing an Orc

Dunno if I'd go that far, t he person in question I managed to see for a brief moment apparently right as they were getting yanked by a GM... Their name was rather explicit, and not at all humorous.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sounds like a name my son would give something when he was young. Froggy Mc Peepee was the name of a frog we found. Easy to guess what it did when he picked it up.
It sounds like your son may have a bright future working as an engineer for the British government, who decided to name their new super hi-tech drone submarine this:

;)

boaty_1489442940760_8964174_ver1_0.jpg

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It sounds like your son may have a bright future working as an engineer for the British government, who decided to name their new super hi-tech drone submarine this:

;)

View attachment 63742
Lol that's what I was actually referring to! Haha I'm glad even Yahoo news is covering that amazing feat of naming.. wasn't it an internet contest to name it or something?

I had a good friend/coworker play with me at launch. After a few years of playing, someone reported his 'obscene' name and he was sent to jail and told to pick a new name. He logged off and quit. He tried logging in years after and was confronted by a GM.
His obscene name was....'Ally McBeal Naked'. pffff OMG!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Boaty McBoatface wad actually chosen by the interwebs via poll, originally for a research vessel. It was wisely ignored and the ship was named the RRS Sir David Attenborough.

So they named a new remote sub for the original ship Boaty McBoatface.

Silly interwebs.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After watching Monty Python's Life of Brian I named one of my chars Biggus Dickus. One day later I logged in and it was changed to something like Steve... I wrote Mesanna that a GM obviously had no sense of humor and no idea of movie history. She delivered a name change token to my mailbox :)

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
years ago we had
Salty dog
salty balls
solid snake

A few others I can't say here

I sure those are all gone now

StressBall

Adventurer
Who cares what people call themselves? I have met some really nice people with very disgusting names, and moreso some really disgusting people with really nice names.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I had Craven Morehead for 6-7 years before someone got a burr up their hind end and I had to change it. I guess I saw the silver lining...the character was created after a few too many beers on a bet I'd get busted instantly. I won. I also saved $10 on a name change token... ;) :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege has had a mildly bad one for some time. I won't say who, those who know know. It's not too terrible but really should never been allowed.

:pirate:
You would not be talking about my Rumpledforeskin character would you? They changed his name to Peter a year or so ago...... after 17 years.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Friend of mine had a character named Don Keykok for years without any incident. As soon as some delicate little snowflake reported him it got changed.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A player who does not speak English in his native language, like me, do not know what's wrong with all the above names. :eyes:
(I double-translated Google to make sure that this phrase means what I mean really)

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Back in 97 the first couple of guys I pked with were named...FrOdO RiNgBeArEr and AlNoR LoNgCoCk

The first guy to ever pk me was "Kaganos" whom I have run into in other games across the years as well.

A name can be very memorable.

RL'S pker

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Years back a guild member had a pet named "A Tampon". When he took it to doom and it was bleeding it would say "A Tampon is bleeding profusely". I found it to be extremely funny, but he was forced to change it.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Years back a guild member had a pet named "A Tampon". When he took it to doom and it was bleeding it would say "A Tampon is bleeding profusely". I found it to be extremely funny, but he was forced to change it.
Basic dirty schoolboy names are tedious, I like it when the player in question has put some effort in as above, in another game I was once in a battleground with a player called "Parts", this guy had gone to the trouble of levelling up this character to max and then fighting in rated PvP in order to get the rank title "Private" on his overhead name, I was amused at the effort he had made to achieve this, the commitment involved...

PinkPandora

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
this discussion reminds me of this skit...

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My char called Ivannah Sukadikh was forcably changed and so was "a drug dealer" char i had on EU for 3 years prior to moving it to Atlantic, where it lasted 3 days before i got paged on.

Some real losers to cry about in game names about.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol. I still have an old character on one of the shards that i never play, named "Hardon".
I got perma banned once before for naming a character after a certain person, and running around Buc's Den letting people kill me repeatedly after 9/11.

I had named my character in Halo "Your Own Stupidity", so that every time i killed someone, it would say to them "You were killed by Your Own Stupidity".

Last edited:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I wonder how long 'Mike Hunt' would "survive" ... :smile2:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still trying to figure out why I can't label a box containing glassblowing supplies without 'ass' being starred out yet folk can drop the f&c bombs in global chat ...

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I always appreciate a clever, obscene name that gets by the filtering algorithm

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will forever be mad about logging on two different shards and seeing my character "Sir Poops-a-Lot" renamed to generic names. It isn't even offensive.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I will forever be mad about logging on two different shards and seeing my character "Sir Poops-a-Lot" renamed to generic names. It isn't even offensive.
Hey! That's what I call my dog....

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk