• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] To Parry, or not to Parry...

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Since coming back this last time after being gone almost 2 years I've seen different templates and talked to different people. One thing that I've noticed is a lot of people don't run 120 parry. I'm curious about this since I've played off and on since shortly after release and always had it on my dexers.

So who here doesn't use it? Do you have any issues without it? What does your template look like with out it? Or do you just run with a lower amount?

I am always reading template ideas. Trying to learn.

I have a sampire and a bushido paladin that both currently run 120. But I'm interested in some of the things I've heard.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My sampire runs 100 Parry and my paladin runs 120 Parry.

I've seen dexxer builds with anywhere from 60 to 120 Parry. For my sampire in particular, I have 120 Bushido and 100 Parry and get a pretty decent 34% block rate.

There are other people who only run 60 Parry or so for it to count towards the LMC Combat skill bonus.

This calculator may help: UO Stratics - Parrying

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've checked our the calculator. I'm just curious about how that % chance to parry actually plays out with the rng.

I do have stones and another character I can play around with. Kind of a damage absorption build rather than avoidance.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've checked our the calculator. I'm just curious about how that % chance to parry actually plays out with the rng.

I do have stones and another character I can play around with. Kind of a damage absorption build rather than avoidance.
Yeah, further on that, if you are building a sampire or dexxer of some sort... a Parxoxymous Swamp dragon or armored Swamp dragon should be your mount of choice since they absorb more damage.

See more info here: Dragon Barding Deed - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I run 60 parry and 120 bushido on both my sampires and on my macer to complete the 300 skill points. All of them also run legendary artefact brittle shields with 10 SSI and overcapped mods that will last forever because I have 0% chance of parrying any attack. :p

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Put me in the group that runs 60 parry and 120 bush.

With a 2 handed weapon against most mobs (anything with 120 wrestle or less) that comes out to getting hit about 40% of the time... which is pretty manageable on a sampire.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you go with the higher resist cap and lower DCI as well?
I have never really bothered with reforging. Getting hit more often for less damage... getting hit less often for more damage...

37% chance to get hit with 45 DCI and all 70 resists and 120 resist spells seems to be more than enough to survive. About the only time I die on the sampire is if I get a little to aggressive and try and pull a whole screen of high level casters (like tera matriarchs, etc) and then hit that unlucky swing streak where you miss 3 or 4 times in a row.

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Merus, what does your template look like if you don't mind me asking? I currently don't have enough resist on my sampire or bushido paladin but would like to work it in. Sounds like going to 60 parry might help with that.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Merus, what does your template look like if you don't mind me asking? I currently don't have enough resist on my sampire or bushido paladin but would like to work it in. Sounds like going to 60 parry might help with that.
120 swords or mace
120 tactics
120 resist or anatomy
120 bushido
99 necro
60 parry
81 chiv

My suit runs all 70 in vamp form, 45 HCI, 45 dci, @186 stam, @137 HP, @90 mana (elf) and @48 LMC (not at home to check the exact amounts), and 20 SSI on the jewels.

I am able to swing both the double axe and bladed staff at 1.25 with no swing speed on the weapon which allows for max leech on weapons.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Do you go with the higher resist cap and lower DCI as well?
All of my current sampire armor is refined. My resists are all 75.

I also run 120 Bushido and 100 Parrying... so I have a good block rate. If you are leaching back enough life, you are going to be fine.

On my last sampire suit, I did the opposite... I refined my DCI upwards to 50 and my Energy resist downward from 75 to 70 (character is an elf).

My template is very similar to the one Merus posted. Only difference is I run 100 Swords and get +20 from the Captain John's hat to 120 and I run 100 Resist Spells (and get +15 from one of my jewels)... the balance of those points I put into Parry. I run no Anatomy and while I have 100 Anatomy on a stone, I haven't used it on this character in ages.

I use the Bushido mastery to get the passive +15 Mana boost and more effective Confidence spell.

My suit gives 181 Stamina and it is a plate suit, so I have a lot of protection from losing stamina when being hit. I also get 100% DI and 30% SSI on my suit, and have a full set of Cameos. This allows me to make weapons with 5 mods, and do not need to add a slayer since they're on the talisman, or need DI or SSI since they're on the suit.

Good luck! :)

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm curious about the suits as well. Are the crafted or dropped pieces? I've been trying to get the right mix of stats on jewelry and it's being a pain.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jewels are low end drop pieces with 10 SSI that I then imbued to add 15DCI, 15HCI, 25DI and some LMC or Stats.
The 6 armor slots are all legendaries.
I have a set of slayer cameos.
I use reforged elemental double axe with mana leech, stam leech, hit area, hit lower defense, and damage increase.
I carry two 25 LRC jewels and a Juonars grimoire (total 60 LRC and +15 Necro) for getting back into vamp form
I ride a proxy swamp dragon
Obviously I use some other artifacts: Corgul sash, Tangle, Boots of Escaping, Despicable Quiver
I do wear a luck garb, carry a luck statue and use bushido honor. That puts my kills at around 1,700 luck (2,700 if I am hunting in fel, which is most of the time)

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Where would you recommend to farm for the 10 ssi jewelry? I spend a lot of time on miasma and treasure maps. Gotten some good pieces but not quite what I'm looking for as far as jewelry.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Are these suits you guys have running luck as well?
Mine is not. I do just fine without it. My suit is more concerned with efficiency fighting than RNG loot roll.

I'm curious about the suits as well. Are the crafted or dropped pieces? I've been trying to get the right mix of stats on jewelry and it's being a pain.
Mine is a mix of both. I think something to do is to get one or two really UBER suit pieces and then craft/reforge/enhance other pieces around those ones.

It was my intention of posting up screen shots of all my suit pieces in a separate thread at some point for bragging purposes. I will let ya know if I do ;)

Where would you recommend to farm for the 10 ssi jewelry? I spend a lot of time on miasma and treasure maps. Gotten some good pieces but not quite what I'm looking for as far as jewelry.
I've seen a bit fall on Scalis and Corgul.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 parry/bush/tact/resist. I spend majority of my time in fel at champ spawns. Harder to be dismounted and para'd/vamp'd. That's what will get you killed when you are raided. I also carry a splintering pickaxe for disarm and double strike that I always have as my alternate wpn. Get raided, swap to the pickaxe, let them flag, run away and/or hopefully get a disarm. If you get the disarm, you can double strike and rarely drop the guy, but you wont be a pushover.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Try Rend instead of Miasma, just be careful... he is a nasty critter!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Use low luck at the Balron on Fel Blackthorn. He drops them every once in while. I got most of mine there with luck ranging from 0 to 400.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My samp is running also only 60 Parry with 30 dci and 75 75 70 70 80 resistent

I also use a Set of Cameo Plus I habe Slayer also on weapon as it looks it stack somehow and let me make more damage.

Weapon I run Blades staff and Double Axe but iam thinking over Using large Battle for the whirls. Iam running with full chivalry Bonus means my suit Go 55 SSI and 100di so I have room in the weapon for lots of dirty Mods.

I got some elemental for onslaught doubel striktes and the Rest is 100 Mana Leech

Iam redoing the weapon soon. If there is interested I can Post pics of the pieces and Info to the template

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I wasn't sure about the slayers stacking. A couple years ago when I played it was lesser slayers gave 200% towards your 300% damage mod cap and super slayers gave 100% towards it. If they do stack, that would put you at the cap without anything else like tactics, anatomy, str etc.

Again, that's part of why I keep asking the questions I do. I haven't played in a couple years and wasn't sure what changed or what I've simply forgotten.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
A couple years ago when I played it was lesser slayers gave 200% towards your 300% damage mod cap and super slayers gave 100% towards it. If they do stack, that would put you at the cap without anything else like tactics, anatomy, str etc.
It's wrong.
Tactics/Anatomy/STR/etc give Damage Increase and are not subject to any cap.
Slayers gave Damage Bonus and are subject to 3x cap. So lesser slayer is enough to get max possible Damage Bonus. (Well, if you use AI or DS you need another 11% Damage Bonus.

Chaim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yeah you're right. For some reason I was lumping those in with tactics etc. And that's why I keep asking questions lol.

And just so I'm clear, what all figures in with the slayers in the damage bonus category?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
[Base Character Damage] = [Base Weapon Damage] * (1 + [Damage Increase]/100)
[Final Damage] = [Base Character Damage] * [Damage Bonus]
AI and DS gives negative Bonus -10. It's 0.9 multiplier.
Lesser Slayer gives 200 Bonus. It's 3.0 multiplier.
Damage Bonus with a lesser slayer when you use AI = 3.0*0.9 = 2.7