• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thinking of coming back...

Doc Savage

Visitor
Back in the mid to late nineties, I started playing UO with a friend of mine. It was the best game I've ever played. But I was in middle school and couldn't afford an official subscription so I played on a free shard that my friend played on. When he stopped playing and the other people I knew at the time stopped playing, I naturally stopped as well.

Then about seven years ago, I decided to come back and I purchased a subscription. However, when I logged in, it was like roaming through a digital ghost town. I met one person, who I was able to play with off and on for about a month, but then he left as well.

Playing Ultima Online gave me some of the best gaming memories I know and I'd really like to come back, but I don't want to come back to a ghost town. Everyone I know is too jaded to the graphics that no one is willing to try it out with me.

My question being, is it worth it to try out the game again, and if so, are there any shards that have any suitable population to make the game enjoyable?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic is the ONLY shard that's active. UO is a shell of what it used to be. Population and support wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are still people playing. Just dont except there to be as many as there used to be.
Atlantic is the most active shard, almost all hours of the day.

The easiest way for you to check it out, is to just make a trial account and check out the shards you're thinking about playing on. Remember to select a shard in your own timezone to get a accurate estimate of the number of people active.

Although there are not many people bank sitting etc. anymore, so give a shoutout in generel chat instead and see if there are anyone online willing to chat and maybe help you out :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic is NOT the ONLY shard active but it is the most active. Other shards are active just not as much as Atl.
Atlantic pretty much is the ONLY shard that still has a decent sized population. Don't blow smoke up his bum..what other shard is as active? I mean I play GL,ATL,Chessy,LS,LA..everywhere else is basically dead. You can't even find potion vendors on 4 of those 5 shards. I spammed for a week looking for a 3 mastery. If I wasn't so lazy I could of farmed them myself before I found someone selling one. I had to pay 2x the price to an opposing guild just to get it lol

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Atlantic pretty much is the ONLY shard that still has a decent sized population. Don't blow smoke up his bum..what other shard is as active? I mean I play GL,ATL,Chessy,LS,LA..everywhere else is basically dead. You can't even find potion vendors on 4 of those 5 shards. I spammed for a week looking for a 3 mastery. If I wasn't so lazy I could of farmed them myself before I found someone selling one. I had to pay 2x the price to an opposing guild just to get it lol

You sir are trying to portray Atlantic as THE ONLY SHARD IN UO that has any players on it where in FACT that is untrue. All the shards have players on them, they just may not be as big as Atl or as big as you may like them. Maybe the OP is looking for a lower population shard or a nicer community then Atl has. Atlantic is NOT the only shard with players.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sir are trying to portray Atlantic as THE ONLY SHARD IN UO that has any players on it where in FACT that is untrue. All the shards have players on them, they just may not be as big as Atl or as big as you may like them. Maybe the OP is looking for a lower population shard or a nicer community then Atl has. Atlantic is NOT the only shard with players.
Ok..we can agree to disagree. Atlantic is the ONLY shard with more than 100 active players. Deal?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My question being, is it worth it to try out the game again, and if so, are there any shards that have any suitable population to make the game enjoyable?
Yes it`s still worth it, UO has always been that magical game you just can`t seem to forget and have the best memories playing with friends... sure it`s not as busy as it once was but i`m sure there`s still more people on each EA shard compared to free shards lol. Atlantic and GL would be the most populated, get an account and join a guild to help you out. Hope you decide to stay and welcome back :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Europa has a really nice community, I can find almost everything I want on the vendors and the West Brit bank meeting is a great help to new and returning players! :)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Back in the mid to late nineties, I started playing UO with a friend of mine. It was the best game I've ever played. But I was in middle school and couldn't afford an official subscription so I played on a free shard that my friend played on. When he stopped playing and the other people I knew at the time stopped playing, I naturally stopped as well.

Then about seven years ago, I decided to come back and I purchased a subscription. However, when I logged in, it was like roaming through a digital ghost town. I met one person, who I was able to play with off and on for about a month, but then he left as well.

Playing Ultima Online gave me some of the best gaming memories I know and I'd really like to come back, but I don't want to come back to a ghost town. Everyone I know is too jaded to the graphics that no one is willing to try it out with me.

Hi... and welcome back to Ultima Online.

When I came back 4 years ago, I also found a ghost town when I went back to an old shard that I used to play on that had no longer been very active. I switched to Atlantic, and found people quickly and easily, willing to help out and give me some advice, a handful of gold, and send my on my way. I played the free trial, and despite still being skeptical, I subscribed to see how it would turn out. I wasn't disappointed. UO is now my daily addiction to get away from the workaholic grind and I find something new to enjoy every day.

Atlantic is the most active shard, and probably the only shard a new player should come to if they wish to get the attention they need and deserve in terms of support, questions and group play. The guild I am in, UWF, is always welcoming new players to help them get started on their way. We have a TeamSpeak server, have an official guild hunt every night at 9pm EST, and have a lot of resources to answer any questions you have and provide whatever support you may need to get your foot in the door.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is any way I can help. Please disregard any of the negative nancy responses herein. Best of luck!