• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I finished training Magery on Siege

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got to 115.0 Magery on Siege. It took about 10 days. My Magery started at 30.0. It went from 30.0 to 74.0 in one day. I got to 100.0 Magery in 6 days. It was on the same time schedule I used for getting to 120.0 Animal Taming - about 6 hours per day. I would have taken it to 120.0, but I couldn't find a power scroll for it.

This, in my opinion, is quite fast compared to my Magery training on GL. It took over a year to get to 108 Magery on my Tamer, only gaining .1 per day; .2 on a rare occasion. My GL Tamer had about 700.0 total skill points when I was training Magery on him. My Siege Tamer has about 680.0 total skill points; whereas, that was why Magery training on my GL Tamer took so long. On Siege, total accumulated skill points aren't factored into the skill gain timer. Just a quick F.Y.I - over the period of time it took me to get to 115.0 Magery, I was also able to get to 120.0 Peacemaking, which was about 11 or 12 days.

My current skill levels are as follows (including what I have on soulstones):

120.0 Animal Taming
120.0 Animal Lore
120.0 Musicianship
120.0 Peacemaking
116.2 Meditation
115.0 Magery
77.4 Discordance
20.0 Veterinary
0.0 Provocation

Again, I'm not trying to tell anyone to play Siege. This is just information on my experiences while training. I heard many people say that training on Siege is long, painful, and a waste of time. And, my experiences have shown me that this assumption is quite incorrect. If it helps you decide to try playing Siege - cool. If it doesn't - that's cool too. I'm just putting this information out there for whoever that may find it interesting.

My next goal is to get Discordance and Provocation to 120.0. I'll post back with details on how training these skills has gone. I forgot to record how long it took me to get to 77.4 Discordance, so I'll just keep track of Provocation, as both skills have the same targets to gain on. Later folks!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Congrats man. That's some serious ass time if you're not scripting or macroing though.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congrats man. That's some serious ass time if you're not scripting or macroing though.
I'm sure he does like the rest of us, just set a timer when you're at home, and hit a button every x minutes to get a gain when you're doing your regular stuff, watching a movie, reading, chores, whatever. I honestly don't know how long skill gain takes on regular shards, but I feel like there's going to be a much greater logged in skill grinding period as opposed to the... like half an hour total per skill spent actively at the keyboard. May take more days, but farrrr less time actually working the skill. That's certainly appealing to me.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to shoot down the people claiming the RoT skill gaining is so awesome and fast... I don't want to be obligated to time my skill gain and "hit a button" every 10-20-30.... Etc minutes. Id rather be in the mood and sit down and prepare myself and bang out weapon skill/anat/tact/healing all at once. And this is based on my knowledge (knowing what to fight) and my suit/items being completely optimized (hci, stam suit, ssi, etc). Same goes for magery. Mage weapon instead.

Again, to each there own, but no skill takes more than 2-3 days now with masteries and the ridiculous amounts of MR you can acquire.

The only "exception" is crafting skills, but if you have the materials, it can actually be faster. And maybe poisoning, depending on how long it takes you to get to 90.

Random skills that it takes me... Hmm 2-4 hours to 120 (anat, resist, parry, weapon skills, wrestle, magery, eval, anat, LJ, animal lore, arms lore, music... Just to name a few) takes you HOW LONG on siege to work? Just throwing that out there.

Again, not knocking it, but those claiming RoT is so much better and faster are clearly doing it wrong on normal shards.

Just my .02 cents

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm sure he does like the rest of us, just set a timer when you're at home, and hit a button every x minutes to get a gain when you're doing your regular stuff, watching a movie, reading, chores, whatever. I honestly don't know how long skill gain takes on regular shards, but I feel like there's going to be a much greater logged in skill grinding period as opposed to the... like half an hour total per skill spent actively at the keyboard. May take more days, but farrrr less time actually working the skill. That's certainly appealing to me.
Could be, I don't recall how I did Margery on Siege.

I think I put something on the space bar.

I've no idea how it'd take him a year to train Margery on a production shard.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, to each there own, but no skill takes more than 2-3 days now with masteries and the ridiculous amounts of MR you can acquire.
For sure, for people who don't mind grinding out skills RoT is inferior. I personally simply cannot do it anymore. I've been at 65 lockpicking for weeks. It's just too mind numbing. :(

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could be, I don't recall how I did Margery on Siege.

I think I put something on the space bar.

I've no idea how it'd take him a year to train Margery on a production shard.
It took over a year to get magery to 108 (on prodo) because my skill points were almost maxed out & i did not have any soulstones to hold skills for me to gain faster. Plus, just playing, i had no reason to use 7th and 8th level spells for the gains.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It took over a year to get magery to 108 (on prodo) because my skill points were almost maxed out & i did not have any soulstones to hold skills for me to gain faster. Plus, just playing, i had no reason to use 7th and 8th level spells for the gains.
Just curious, what template were you using?

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious, what template were you using?
120.0 Magery (115.0 Magery on Siege)
120.0 Animal Taming
120.0 Animal Lore
120.0 Veterinary
120.0 Musicianship
+120.0 Discordance (swapped for Peacemaking)
+120.0 Peacemaking (swapped for Discordance)

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
He wasnt scripting thats for sure. He was in our guild house and every time I came in or someone came in he would chat with us. We finally talked hiim into doing a level 4 tmap with us last night. We told him he had to get out and have some fun. :danceb:

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Congratulations !!
I finally went to 70.0 on Animal Taming yesterday and came to realize why Siege Perilous players love RoT. Im a big fan now!

I think I made two posts on Stratics saying that I tried SP but didnt continue there because of the one char/account plus the fact I was on nice guild on Atlantic.

Well, I gave SP a second try because I really don't like trammel/insurance and I must say I made the right choice since now I'm getting more of the UO experience that Im used too with the "always be aware" thrill.

I can't imagine playing other oficial shard now, lets see how this goes =)

I think Erics topics are very good to encourage ppl to try SP actually, I was one of the persons who got encouraged by both his and Freja posts... because, other whise, if you only read the "Siege Perilous rules - no recall no npc buying, etc etc" IMO it can be a too much intimidating to the point you don't even want to try because you can't see any benefits(well actually for me just not having trammel is the big benefit :D)