• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

To Die Would Be a Great Adventure

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The wind blew hot against his skin. Lips parched, body stretched to the point of collapse, and yet he journeyed on in this forsaken land. Overhead, the sun beat down onto a broken land dotted here and there with bits of dead shrubbery and bracken. He wanted to stop, to rest for a bit before continuing on, but he knew well that to stop was to die. And so he continued on and allowed dreams of cool shade and fresh water to invade his mind.

Aedon had been here many times in the past, but this time was different. He did not venture here to save a life, but to end his own. As he struggled on, more than one time Izznet danced through his thoughts. His heart ached at the thought of their time together ending so suddenly. But at least the thought, Skylar bought me some happy times.

He wondered if the woman ever understood how much of a gift she had given him when she took Ahoun that day. There was never any doubt that she did so not to benefit Aedon, but for some means of her own. But none the less, she had for a time lifted the specter of a curse which had dogged him for some millennia. And in doing so, for the first time since he could recall, Aedon had been truly happy.

But times change, and others came forth looking for what they thought to be a demon blade. This was never so. Ahoun carried the same curse Aedon did, and only though his death would the blade also be free. This was the plan of the maker, the design of the one who forged the blade and then set it in his hands. He was not sure if any amount of study of the blade would yield anything of worth. But perhaps it would set to rest the minds of many.

And so, he had offered to bring Ahoun to the man called John. He knew there would be a cost for doing so, but sometimes sacrifices must be made for the common good. He did not bemoan the end, he had long ago expected and should have been lying in his grave. His only regrets were betraying Skylar, and leaving Izznet behind.

Moving slowly, he brought his hand up to shade his eyes and peered off into the distance. Wind swirled on the dusty plain forming a small whirlwind which seemed to be coming towards him. At first he was a bit fascinated by what he saw, then curiosity gave was to discomfort as the winds coalesced into the form of a man.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
His first thought was to move towards the figure. But such a move might be seen as confrontational and bring about a result not intended. Instead, he stood still and watched as the male sauntered towards him at a leisurely pace. There was a swagger in his walk that spoke of one sure of himself and his abilities. And there was something about him that stirred a long forgotten spirit of adventure in Aedon.

As the figure came closer, Aedon was able to see that this was no man at all, but a young lad. Somewhat elven in appearance, he was much like some of the younger fae who frequented events at the Freehold of Roses. He dressed in light clothing, and was girt with a sword. Aedon thought that perhaps the oddest thing about the lad was the bemused smirk on his face.

When he had come to where he stood right in front of Aedon, the lad stopped and looked the elder up and down. The smile he wore quickly turned to a bit of a frown, and shaking his head a bit He said.

“Well, you have certainly let yourself go soft haven’t you?”

Mildly confused, Aedon replied;

“Excuse me lad, do I know you.”

This remark elicited a roar of laughter from the younger, and caused Aedon to bristle a bit. He would have come back with some remark, but at this point the laughter gave way to mild hysteria and some degree of knee slapping. It seemed that each time the lad stopped and looked at Aedon, he erupted into louder and more effusive degrees of mirth. It seemed that as quickly as the laughter started, it ended, and Aedon found himself looking into a face both serious and sad in countenance.

“So, you have forgotten me then.” He said with a slight sigh. Well if answers you seek, then follow me. That is if you can keep up old man.”

With this, the figure turned and sped off across the land with Aedon doing his best to keep pace and seemingly falling quickly behind.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aedon was not sure how long he chased behind the young lad. He led across broken ground, around rock and tree, and on towards a point of light along the horizon. There were times it felt as though his legs would give way beneath him, and he lungs ached from the prolonged chase. It seemed as though each time he would gain on the lad, new vigor spurred the younger to greater speed. Soon Aedon could see little more of the lad then a blur in the distance.

He was about to give up and sit to allow his breathing to return to a less painful level when he was suddenly aware of a door standing in the pathway ahead of him. Driving himself a bit further, he reached the doorway. Walking around it only served to puzzle him further. The door was connected to no wall, and there was no room beyond it, only the other side of a door in the middle of a path.

Scratching his head, a Aedon sought to make some sense of what stood before his eyes. There was no good reason he could come up with for a door to be on this spot, and little use for a door with nothing on the other side. After some though he came to the conclusion that in order to find the answers he sought, he must go through the door. Going back to what he assumed was the front side, Aedon grasped the door knob and opened the door.

He awoke on the floor of Grey Manor in the Freehold of Roses. The room was mostly silent, and the only thing which hinted to another presence was the steady thrum of the Balefire in the caverns beneath him. He longed to go down under the freehold and feel again the closeness of the flame. But he dares not do such a thing without the firebrand’s presence.

Standing, he attempted to brush off and straighten out his clothing. But it was clear that what he wore was beyond such aid. There was a dust which clung to them, making them feel oddly sticky and more than a bit old. Running both hands through his hair, he headed to the front door of the large white building and out into the afternoon sun. He recalled that Arkon and Calli would be opening the Crossroads Tavern this night, and through that perhaps a bath before heading over would feel good.

Heading towards the small opening in the rock that formed the exit from the Freehold of Roses Aedon whistled a tune. He had already started to brush off what he had seen as a simple nightmare brought about by bad cheese and sleeping on a hard floor. He never turned to look back towards the building, and never saw the figure standing on the steps of the Manor. As the younger watched Aedon exit the Valley, he smirked and said low.

“Go ahead old man, seek your fun. I will be waiting right here for you.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aedon awoke sitting in a chair in front of the hearth in Connemara. He could just recall coming home and finding Izzy sleeping before the fire. Not wishing to awaken her, he went upstairs, bathed and changed into fresh clothing and groomed himself for the night. Looking into the mirror he found the eyes staring back at him a bit disturbing. He had always had deep green eyes, but the depth of color in the eyes peering back at him shook him to the core. There was something odd, and yet very familiar in them he thought. The image in the glass faded and turned to a dusty smog on the surface. Wiping away the condensation Aedon chuckled a bit to himself saying.

“You have your own self spooked now.”

Heading back downstairs, he took a few cookies from a plate on the counter, and went to sit in the chair nest to Izzy. Eating his treat slowly, he watched her sleep admiring the delicate curve of her neck. He was struck by her delicate beauty and watched as her chest moved with each breathe taken in then exhaled. He often though about how lucky he was to have her care for his as she did. After all, he was not at all the easiest person to live with. He had planned to rouse her after he finished his cookies, but instead he laid his head against the soft back of the upholstered chair, and drifted off.

He awoke to the sounds of Izzy bustling around in the kitchen. She had most likely just finished another cup of coffee, and was looking to hide her cup before Aedon arose. As she turned back towards the hearth she jumped a bit when she noticed he was watching her. Chuckling a bit, he stood and stretched a bit. Then asked her if she was ready to head to the Tavern.

There was not a large crowd that night, but it was a good crowd. They sat at the bar chatting not only about the lay out of the tavern, but also about plans for events and outings that might prove enjoyable. Aedon had come to relish the small things in life. A simple bard’s night, a leisurely sail on the ocean or a cup of coffee and cookies shared as the shadows grew deep, and bedtime drew near.

When the evening ended, he and Izzy headed back to Connemara and sat again in the chairs that stood before the hearth. He watched smiling as Izzy played with one of the cats, holding up a length of string for it to jump at or chase around the small circles she drew around the floor. As the game continued, he noticed that his eyes were growing heavy, and thought that perhaps closing them for a few moments might help. For a time, he could still hear Izzy’s laughter and the skittering pounce of the small cat. Then there was a silence that was only broken by a low voice calling him towards a point of light.

He found himself standing in the freehold of Roses, staring at the front of Grey Manor. On the steps the young lad stood, arms crossed and a look on his face that one might see on a father upon coming home far too late. Aedon was surprised at how small he suddenly felt under this young man’s gaze. His first thought was to turn and walk away. But as he started to make a move in that direction the younger spoke.

“Well, it is about time you returned. I trust you had fun at your little gathering?”

Thinking for a moment Aedon could say with certainty that the evening had been enjoyable. Arkon and Calli had opened up their new Crossroads Tavern, and the company and drink had been good. Calli had spoken of sailing adventures and gave a lovely tour of the large building. Tserim was there, and Aedon always enjoyed the Rangers company. Bringing himself to look the younger in the eye, Aedon replied.

“Yes, it was a very lovely evening, but why am I back here now? “

“All in good time,” came the answer from the younger. “I would hate to move so quickly that your feeble mind could not keep up.”

Opening the door to the manor, the younger motioned for Aedon to follow. He had barely moved a few feet past the threshold when the door clanged shut behind him, and the room was plunged into utter darkness.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aedon awoke from a night’s sleep feeling as though he had just laid his head on the pillow. He could only assume that he had slept a bit fitful, but try as he might he could recall nothing about any dreams which might have troubled him. The light was streaming in through the narrow windows behind the bed, and from the amount that filled the room, he could guess that it was well past mid-day. He was well aware that he was not alone in the bed, and turning towards the opposite side he was almost tempted to laugh out loud.

There, lying on the bed, fully dressed including shoes and a rather uncomfortable looking hat was Izzy. She looked as though she had just walked in from some errand, and stretching out, fell asleep. As he reached over to rouse her he was struck by the dampness of her clothing and skin. It was very unlike the lady to lay down in this condition.

He shook her lightly and called her name. When no response came he shook he a bit harder calling to her again. She did not stir at all, and Aedon grew a bit more concerned. Perhaps she had eaten or drank something which caused her to lapse into this state. It was not as though it was uncommon for some poisoner to be sneaking about these days. After all, he thought. We are at war and enemies are abundant.

Slipping from the bed, he called to John and asked that he have the court healer come into the room. Tell him there is something wrong with the mistress. Turning back towards where she lay, Aedon shook his head slightly.

“I do hope she did not die in my bed. It would be another something to be used against me by those seeking to cause issues or concern.”

Dressing, he went to the table before the hearth and sat down to a breakfast that had been laid out for him. Looking back to where Izznet lay he said;

“You do not mind if I enjoy my meal I assume?

Shrugging a bit, he turned his attentions back to his repast. Within a short time, there was a knock at the chamber door, and as it was opened, a wizened looking healer came hurrying into the room. Coming straight over to where Aedon sat, he bowed and asked how he might be of assistance. Grunting a bit mid chew, Aedon motioned back to where Izznet was.

“I think something is wrong with her. Could you check to make sure she is not contagious and put her in a cot in the healer’s house?”

“As you wish.” He said bowing low.

Going back to the door, the healer called in two rather brawny men and instructed them to pick up Izznet and follow him. As they started towards the exit Aedon turned and called after them.

“Do be careful with her please. I would not wish to see another one damaged.”

Chuckling slightly under his breath the man replied.

“As you wish Sire.”

With that, he closed the door and Aedon was left in silence to enjoy his meal.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Calling for the chamber maid, Aedon had the bed thoroughly stripped and sprayed. Then had fresh linens brought and the bed made anew. The items removed were taken into the courtyard and set ablaze. One cannot be too careful with such things he thought to himself. The woman always seemed clean enough, but there were always some number of parasites infesting areas of the land. As they took away the dishes from his meal, the healer came in bowing low. Looking towards the man Aedon shook his head a bit.

“Well, have you found out anything yet?”

“No Sire. And in all truth, I can see no reason the female should be as she is. Unless of course she is under some sort of demonic spell.”

“Spell you say?” Aedon replyed as he poured a cup of hot tea.

“Yes Sire, you do have many enemies.”

“That may be true healer, but what possible good could my enemies find in placing a spell on my bed warmer?”

“Well, I am not sure.”

“Of course you are not sure, not get out of my sight and do not return till you are sure of something.”

“And the woman Sire?”

Thinking for a few minutes Aedon shook his head and turned to look out the window.

“Drop her off in one of the town infirmaries. Tell them she was found that way in the streets.”

“As you wish Sire,” The healer said, and turned to leave.

“Wait, the woman has a braided ribbon around her wrist. Remove it and bring it to me.”

Nodding, the healer headed out the door, closing it tightly behind him.

Walking to a chair which set before the window, Aedon slowly lowered himself down and leaned his head back. Izznet had been only one of many, but she was one of his favorites. He found her dark skin and pale eyes exotic, and her laugh served to cheer him during some rather difficult times. This one he would miss. The idea of sleeping alone did not really bother him. He had been alone most of the time following the deaths of his wife and children on a sea voyage. He had from time to time brought in some wench to warm up the night, but never had he sought another lasting relationship. He was after all at war. And a king’s family is his weakness.

A while later, the door opened again, and a man came in carrying a braided ribbon if emerald green and gold. Bowing, he laid it in Aedon’s hand, and turned quickly leaving the room. Aedon sat for a while staring at the item in his hand, and then leaning forward a bit, tossed it into the fire which burned brightly in the hearth. Leaning back again, he closed his eyes and listened as a voice spoke to him.

“Good, good, you are beginning to remember what it feels like to be in charge of others. To take what you want when you want it, and to discard that which displeases you. I had thought you had been crawling so long that you had forgotten how to stand. Well old man, rest for now, I have much planned for you on the morrow.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was hard to shake the feeling of constantly being watched. It seemed that no matter what corner of the castle he sought, Aedon always felt keen eyes watching his every move. For a time, he thought that perhaps he was simply feeling some measure of guilt or remorse over what had happened to his last lady. But he was able to convince himself that he had done all he could for her, and that she was in one of the cleaner clinics in town. He of course dear not ask after her condition. That would mean admitting that he cared about the woman, or at the very least knew her.

He had become quite uncomfortable over the week since finding the unconscious woman in his bed. Any time he asked someone in the building if they thought something was amiss or slightly off, they just looked at him and nervously shook their heads no. But he knew that something was not as it should be, and calling his guard captain to him, ordered him to scour the castle grounds in an attempt to find what or who was behind this.

The day passed slowly, and no reports were forthcoming at all. Retiring in his chambers to await the evening meal, Aedon paced the width of the room over and over. As shadows lengthened, and the light from the full moon fell through his windows, touching the far corner of the room, he thought he could see a set of emerald green eyes watching him. But just as he started towards where they were, there came a knock on the door.

Calling for whoever it was to enter, Aedon watched as his guard captain, and two of his men came in dragging John McDermott with them. John was the son of the blacksmith, and like his father, was becoming quite the expert at his craft. He was all of fifteen summers, and a bit on the lanky side. But his arms bore the strength of a smith. After the door was closed behind them, the guards forced John onto his knees before Aedon. Looking first at the lad, and then to his guards he demanded to know what this was about.

“Sire, we caught this one sneaking around in the halls. When we asked what he was doing, he refused to answer.” The captain said crisply.

Looking towards John, Aedon studied the youngsters face for a moment before asking.

“John, you know you are not to be in the halls of Connemara unless I have sent for you. What were you doing sneaking around?”

Lowering his eyes to the floor John simply shook his head and mumbled something under his breath.

“What did you say John?” Asked Aedon raising his voice.

“I said, I will cannot tell you.”

“Cannot, or will not?”

“Raising his eyes to look at Aedon, the younger man replied”

“I suppose sire; they are one in the same.”

He was not sure what came over him at the time. In truth, John had served Aedon well, as his father served Aedon’s father before him. But there was a nervous tick that seemed to start at the base of his skull and run rapidly through his body. Looking at John once again he demanded the information. He told the lad there would be a price to pay for his..his …..TREASON!

Screaming this last word, Aedon reached to his back and pulled his blade from its sheath. His face contorted as a flash of red hot pain coursed through him. He stood for a moment as one frozen in time, the Ahoun held upright before his eyes. A blade black as night on which no light played so much as fell into. His body shook with the agony that came with wielding the sword. Leaping forward, he drew the blade back, and brought it down with full force severing John’s head.

There was no sound which came from the lad as his body collapsed to the floor. His face was frozen in what could best be described as a look of confusion. The guards backed towards the door, seeking to retreat from their fell king as blood stained the stones, and seeped into the grout surrounding it.

Aedon stood in a daze for a moment, his mind confused and disconnected. At first he wanted to scream out:

“No, this is not the way it happened!”

But from the darkness of the corner he thought he could hear laughter, and a voice whispered into his mind.

“He had it coming, the little sneak. For all we know he has been stealing from the stores for weeks. And besides, he refused to answer. A king is not a king if he cannot control the rabble around him."

Taking up a towel, Aedon wiped the blood from Ahoun, and slipped it back inside the sheath on his back. Looking towards the guards, he calmly said.

“Remove the body, and send in the maid to mop this floor.”

The two guards covered and lifted John’s body, as the captain did the same with the severed head. As they opened the door to leave, the scullery arrived with Aedon’s meal. The maid kept her eyes forward, and acted as though nothing in the room was out of the ordinary. Walking towards the window, he looked out towards where he knew the smithy lay.

“Oh Captain,” he said without turning. Find a place in the country side to dump the body. Perhaps you will find it later in the day and then you and your men will look for the fiends that killed the poor young wretch.” With this, Aedon smiled and went to sit at his supper.

“As you wish my liege.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Several days had passed since John’s death, and the guards had done well in covering up the true tale. When called to comfort the aging smith on the death of his only son, Aedon out up quite a show. For the man’s comfort he made vows never to rest until the fiends that had robbed the lands of such a promising lad were brought before the throne. Sean McDermott believed the king to be sincere in his kind words and vows of assistance. Following this, Aedon returned to his room and sat at the small table before the window sipping a cup of tea. Glancing towards the wooded area on the south side of the main compound, Aedon muttered to himself.

“It was not how it happened.”

To most the words would have had little meaning. More a random thought or utterance then something intended too illicit a response. So it shocked Aedon no end when from across the table a voice replied.

“You are getting too soft Aedon.”

Looking towards the source of the voice Aedon found himself again looking at the same green eyes he had looked into the night John was …..The night John died. The youth they belonged to had to be around the age of thirteen, with a tasseled mop of light hair. His gaze was keen, and he did not flinch as he looked the older man over. He was dressed in a jerkin of green, with the device of a Rowan tree emblazoned on his chest. And though obviously young in years, Aedon got the feeling that he was looking at a being as old as time itself. There was a practiced confidence about him which spoke to one accustomed to speaking to those far his senior in years. Aedon opened his mouth to respond, but was caught short as the youth began to speak again.

“There was a time you could slaughter ten men before supper, three before bedtime and still sleep soundly thought the night. But look at what you have become.”

“It is not the killing of another that has me shook, it is.” Aedon got no further in his thought before he was cut off.

“Do not give me that tired old line about taking the life of one so young. How many children far younger than John do you think you and your men slaughtered in the many battles you fought? Have you once given thought to them? No, because it was what had to be done at the time. You are casting aside what you were made for. You were bred for battle Aedon, so suck it up and stop mourning the passing of one useless peasant.”

Just as Aedon was about to respond, there came a knock at the door. Rising, he called for the one outside to enter. As the door flew back, in came the guard captain, accompanied by the cook carrying a small cage. Inside the cage was a small, puny, lop- eared bunny. Had it not been for the serious look on the face of both men, Aedon might have been brought to laughter. But it was clear that the cook was not just upset, he was frightened. Bowing before Aedon, the guard began to speak.

“Your pardon sire, but the cook has an issue that I have been able to handle and thought should be brought to your attention immediately.”

“All is well captain; I was not busy but just having a chat with.” Turning, Aedon looked towards the now empty chair. After stammering a bit, Aedon turned back to the guard and finished;

“With myself. I have many things I am trying to work through at this time, many things.”

Turning towards the cook, Aedon asked.

“So sir, what is so important that you would disturb my rest?”

Holding the cage up a bit higher, the cook peered first at the bunny, then towards Aedon saying.

“It is him sire! You see, I was planning to prepare him for your evening stew. I had taken out all the spices and brought water, potatoes and carrots to a swift boil on the stove. I then turned my attention towards the meat, and that is when he started to give me a hard time.”

“Good cook, even the smallest of creatures may sense the coming of their own death and rally against such a thing.”

No Sire, it is not that. I have dealt with the end fight of many a game fowl or beast, but never once in all my days has one attempted to instruct me in how to build a better fire.”

At this Aedon could no longer control himself, and erupted into hearty laughter. Looking towards the poor bewildered cook he said.

“So, you are saying to me that this bunny spoke to you and told you how to make a fire? Have you been in the whisky sir?”

It was at this time that the Bunny decided to speak up.

“No he did not have a drink, but I could use one. He was just going about building a good cook fire all wrong. You should train your people better.”

Backing up a few paces, Aedon sat on his chair and stared through the bars of the small cage at the rabbit. He was now pressed against the front of the cage with his forepaws gripping the bars. His eyes had an odd intelligence about his and if a bunny could look bemused, this one certainly did. Looking at the cook Aedon instructed him to set the cage on the table and leave. Doing so, the relieved man headed downstairs to find a chicken, and left Aedon, the captain and the rabbit alone.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After the cool departed, Aedon sat back in his chair and regarded the creature in the cage. The guard stood close to where the cage sat on the table, keeping a close eye on the cage lest the fiend attempt an escape. Leaning forward a bit, Aedon looked straight into the rabbit’s eyes and said slowly.

“Rabbits cannot talk.”

“Sure we can!” Came the reply from the cage. “You just don’t listen well.”

“Creature I advise you to keep a civil tongue in your mouth, you have not fully escaped my dinner table yet.”

“Oh thank you, I would love to stay for supper. Just a few potatoes for me and perhaps a bit of strong whisky.”

From the corner of the room, sarcastic laughter drifted across Aedon’s ears. Turning towards the sound, he scanned the corner then look suddenly back at the rabbit.

“How are you doing that creature? Yes, I know now for sure that you are the one who has been tormenting me. And seeing that I know very well that a bunny cannot talk, ergo you are far more than meets the eye. Sorcerer, fiend of the dark arts you will be cast into a pit and left to die!”

Wrapping his paws around the bars of his cage, the rabbit looked at the man saying.

“Well fine, but that is certainly not going to be the best end to our dinner party.”

“Silence!” Aedon yelled.

He had planned to berate the creature some more, but he found that he was suddenly struck mute. Looking towards the guard captain, he realized from the look on the man’s face that he too had suddenly lost his voice. He then let loose with a tirade of silent curses at the beast who could have cast such a spell on him so quickly. He was just about at the end of his threats when as suddenly as his voice left, it returned. And as luck would have it just in time for a rather awkward ending to a vehement threat.

“and boil you in oil with a cricket up your ass!”

“Well now, I don’t think the cricked would appreciate that.” Said the rabbit looking amused.

Standing quickly Aedon paced the room a bit mumbling under his breath. He was confused beyond words, upset beyond measure and his ire was quickly mounting to a peak. Looking back towards the small figure in the cage he said sharply.

“Do you not fear death? For truly I hold your life in my hands. I have dealt with your sort before and know well what you are.”

Jumping suddenly in his cage the rabbit yelled out;

“A WITCH!”

Suddenly his anger boiled over, and leaping to the table he pulled open the cage grabbing the rabbit around its small throat. Tightening his grip, a bit he watched the creature for some sign that at last, he felt the end of his life close at hand. But instead of wiggling around, and fighting for his life the bunny hung there in his grip, shaking his head around and looking at Aedon with a rather amused look.

“I will kill you rabbit.” Aedon said with a sneer.

Suddenly smiling, the creature simply responded.

“I cannot die, I am immortal.”

Aedon stared at the creature as the grin on its face grew wider and wider. Then with an odd whoosh sound, the creature seemed to explode from his grasp. Where before there had just been a living, breathing creature, was now only a mound of sawdust on Aedon’s hands, and a quickly mounting pile of the substance around his feet. Looking to the guard Aedon shouted.

“Get out, and speak of this to no one under penalty of death.”

Bowing, the guard rushed quickly from the room, shutting the door behind him. Going to his chair before the hearth, Aedon sat back for a moment, staring at the floor. Then leaning forward a bit, he softly said.

“This is all wrong. None of this has been right.”

As he watched the mound on the floor he noticed that it seemed to be shaking or vibrating in much the same way a pebble on cobblestone might move at the approach of a horse drawn carriage. It then seemed to slowly undulate and rise from the ground taking on a shape. But what stood before Aedon’s eyes was not now the small creature that had been in the cage, but a rather tall, lop eared bunny-man. Dumbstruck, unable to move or make a sound, Aedon watched as the thing approached him. Then, laying a paw on Aedon’s shoulder the bunny-man looked at him seriously saying.

“We are the makers of music, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

With a confused look on his face Aedon asked;

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know!” said the rabbit with a grin. “But I do know this. If something is not right, fix it.”

With that it faded from site and left Aedon more confused than ever, pondering if the rabbit’s words held the wisdom he had been seeking.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The past few weeks had worn heavily on Aedon’s mind. He had sought again and again to make some sense of all that had gone on, but always present was the nagging sensation that something was not right. He had taken a walk in the country side alone. In the past this had always served to calm his thoughts, and help him refocus. But today was somehow different, and he found himself hurrying along the path that led from the bay of Galway towards the main gates of Connemara.

As he walked, stone paths turned to well-worn footways, and the wildflowers which bloomed in colors of red, gold and yellow seemed to be swallowed up by a deep forest. He tried to keep his eyes on the way ahead, and to keep his house within his sight. But with each step he took Connemara seemed to fade further into the distance.

Stopping for a moment, he looked around at his new surroundings. There was something familiar in the growth of the trees, and the roadway seemed to greet his feet as one would welcome a returning friend. His heart, which had been pounding hard, calmed, and began to beat in a steady rhythm. Aedon could not help smile a bit as he realized that it seemed as though his heart and the sounds of the forest around him were in time with one another.

He could no longer see Connemara, but he could recall the direction he was going. Turning, he continued on at a more relaxed pace. He listened as he walked to the sounds of the rustling leaves, and the skitter of small creatures moving about in the leaf litter. He could smell the scent of a fresh rainfall, and feel a cool breeze blowing steadily through his hair. After a bit, he forgot that he was heading towards his home, and began to simply enjoy the walk.

The road twisted on and on between the trees. He saw few houses around him, and those he did see were boarded up and falling from neglect. He figured that at one time this must have been a thriving village, and wondered what had become of the people who had called it home. The trees came to a sudden halt, and seemed to pull back all around a rather large clearing or glade. Within the glade could be seen rubble of buildings long gone, and the hollowed out shell of a rather large structure. Walking up the stairs, he stepped over the remains of a set of once sturdy doors and stood in a room of good size.

Strewn about the floor were bits of chairs and tables, and the occasional bottle or small keg. From this, Aedon surmised that this had once been a pup or public house. And that perhaps it had served as the center of this towns community. An odd sadness came over him as he thought about the happy times that must have greeted visitors here at one time. And he wondered what had driven them from their lands and homes. After all, this seemed a rather pleasant forest.

Making his way towards the part of the room that had at one time must have had large windows looking out over the glade, Aedon stood silently. He was just about to turn and leave the building when he heard a rather odd call, and stepped aside just as a young man came swinging through the open windows and landed on the floor in front of him.

The man had a bit of a swagger about him, and an air of surety that surrounds one that is comfortable with himself. Placing his hands defiantly on his hips, he tossed his head back a bit and said.

“Greetings, I am sure you have heard of me.”

“No, I am sorry, I am not sure I have ever seen you before.”

“I did not say see sir.” Came the response. “I said heard. For my fame is known far and wide.”

With this the man flashed a toothy smile, and Aedon could almost swear that one of his teeth twinkled. Stepping back enough to allow for a quick retreat if needed, he looked at the stranger and said.

“Perhaps you would care to enlighten me as to your identity?”

“Ah yes, of course. I am the Great Ranger Tserim. Yes, I know, you are in awe of me. But keep your wits about you for a bit and answer me these questions three.”

“I shall try good sir.” Said Aedon almost amused.

Question the first. Where do you keep your damsel towers in this land?”

“Our damsel towers?”

“Yes man, where are the damsels bestowed. For I am a great rescuer of fair maids in distress.”

“And do you rescue many of them.”

“But of course. Of course the number rescued in one day depends on the nearness of the towers, and the willingness of the damsels to be rescued. I recall this one I had to save who beat me on the back and kicked me claiming that she lived in the tower with her husband and children. I was battered and bruised a bit, but such is the life of adventure.”

“I am sorry to tell you this Great Ranger, but I am just here myself and know little of the location of the damsel towers.”

“Pity, but you need not be so formal with my name, you may call me Great. Alright then, Question the second; Are there any fierce dragons, lions, or woodchucks which need slaying? For truly my prowess in battle is well known.”

“Well Great, I have seen no sign of any lions, and dragons are rarely seen in these lands. But some of the trees I passed were gnawed a bit.”

“Huzzah then, the battle will be joined. Perhaps you would care to join me in in my noble quest?”

“Perhaps, but what is your third question?”

Smiling a bit, the Great Ranger regarded Aedon for a bit before saying.

“Ah yes, Question the third. What choice will you make sir? Will you sit in this husk in a dying forest, or will you follow a different path? One that perhaps could take a more dangerous turn.”

“What do you mean?”

Without saying a word, the Ranger turned and leapt from the gaping building to the ground and sprinted off into the woody end of the glade. Stopping for a moment, he turned to look at where Aedon stood in the framework of a missing window.

“Come sir, the game is afoot. The woodchucks await, and if we are lucky, we will find the damsel towers.”

He then turned around and sprinted down one of the paths. Without thinking, Aedon jumped to the ground and chased the unknown ranger through the woods.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The chase through the woods went on for some time, and though Aedon could not see the Ranger, always he heard him moving through the trees and brush in the path ahead. Mile after mile he chased his illusive leader, as the Great one set his sights on the subject of the chase.

It had been some time since Aedon had given chase on foot, and in all truth he was a bit out practice. His breathing was coming fast and heavy, and he was developing a nagging pain in his side. He longed for a pose in the chase, and a chance to rest a bit, and find a cool drink of water. But Tserim showed no sign of slowing, and any small movement or sound in front of him only caused his pace to quicken. And the chase went on.

Passing through woods and clearings. Some showing signs of past life, but none spoke to anyone living in this area now. As they ran, Aedon took time to study some of the debris that lined paths and was piled in high mounds here and there along the way. He was beginning to think he and this Ranger were the only two left alive here. A few times he called forward, asking what they were seeking, but each time the only rumor that anyone was still running ahead of him was the occasional horn call, or abruptly shouted Huzzah. Whatever it was they chased only the Ranger knew, and he was not interested in stopping to explain it to the tired man chasing after him.

Hours seemed to pass, and the Ranger gave no sign of slowing. If anything his pace seemed to have quickened a bit. It was all the Aedon could do to at least star within earshot of the tireless hero. And then suddenly, the sounds of his footfalls ceased. Fearing he had lost the man, Aedon summoned the last of reserves, and charged through the brush in front of him.

Had he taken the time to look first, he would have discovered that Tserim had stopped just the other side of the bushes. He might also have avoided shooting past the Hero and crashing hard against the walls of what clearly must have been a damsel tower. As he lay on the ground moaning, Tserim came over and looking down said.

“Huzzah, we have found the towers.”

“Um Towers, I think I only felt one tower.”

“Arise sir, and look upon the fabled Damsel Towers of Hew”

“Hew?” Asked Aedon as he sat up rubbing his head.

“No not me, Hew. This is where the ogres have bestowed the damsels in need of rescuing. Come sir, there is work to be done.”

With that the Ranger approached the first tower, and tossing a rope higher in the air that should have been humanly possible, he caught the loop over the peak of the roof. Then cinching the rope tightly, ran forward, and swung, heroically, Through the window of the first tower. In little time he stuck his head out the window and Aedon could see that he was in fact carrying a Damsel. Looking down towards Aedon he shouted.

“Catch this one friend, while I make my way to the next tower.”

With that he let the woman drop just as Aedon shouted out thinking the woman would be killed. Oddly, the damsel floated slowly towards the ground. When she was close enough, Aedon caught her, and sat her aside-and then ran towards the next woman who already having been dropped-floated lazily y towards the ground. This went on in the same manner until Aedon had accumulated a collection of eleven rescued damsels. Looking up he saw that Tserim was coming out through the window of the last tower, and seemed to be pulling something behind him. He then stepped back inside the window, and the next thing Aedon saw was a rather large damsel being shoved through the window. From behind he could hear the Ranger call out.

“Catch”

This one did not float as the others did, but fell instead with the grace of a cow. On further inspection Aedon could see that it was indeed a cow dressed in typical damsel attire. He had thought of just stepping aside, but could hear the call from above.

“Save her, we cannot sully my Damsel Rescuing reputation.”

Closing his eyes, and holding his hands out, Aedon waited for the weight of the rescued bovine to hit him fully. When this never happened, he opened his eyes only to see the Ranger standing in front of him smiling.

“You did well. Even when you thought that great harm would come to you, you stood still in order to rescue another. You gave chase even though your body and mind cried out in pain. And you readily listened to the words of the one that accompanied you.”

“I do not understand. What was the reason for this night’s labors?”

To this question the ranger simply shrugged, and then turned to leave. Pausing, he looked at Aedon again.

“Life is an adventure if you allow it to be. Or it can be cold and damp and silent as a tomb. What you get out of life depends on what you are willing to put into it. One small step, one bend in our paths can forever change the course of our life. But it need not diminish the excitement and enjoyment we get from a life well spent.”

He paused for a moment after his final words, and then turned towards the setting sun, hopped on the back of a suddenly waiting steed, and galloped off heroically into the west.

Sitting up in his bed Aedon looked around the darkened room. From the window, a small shaft of light fell across the bed. He could see that Izzy was still sound asleep. And that from the rather silly look on her face, she was enjoying some dream. Slipping from the bed as quietly as possible, he dressed, and grabbing a book from the night stand, headed downstairs, and out onto the porch of Connemara.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Night passed quickly and soon Aedon could see the first rays of the morning sun reaching across the surface of the water. He had spent the hours since awaking sitting on the steps reading a book. The light from the small lantern which sat on the table had illuminated the pages well. In times past he would not have needed much light to read a tome, even on the darkest of nights. But much had changed since his and Izzy’s trip. He had not only noticed a lessening of his sight to more that of a normal man, but he tired faster than before, and spent a good deal of the day dealing with aches and pains he was not accustomed to. His hearing was also not as acute, and he was finding it harder to detect James’ subtle movements. There would be much that he would miss, but there was also a great deal to look forward to. Closing his book, he stood, stretched, and looked into the coming dawn. The night still was straining valiantly to hold on to the world in much the same way any of us may cling to life. Chuckling a bit to himself Aedon muttered the last lines from his book.

“Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.”

It had suddenly struck him as funny how closely the character in the book paralleled his life. He had always been the boy who never grew up. This was not due to his seeking a place such as Neverland, but through the machinations of those far older and wiser than he. There had been times when he could see the advancing years with clarity, only to be suddenly drug across time and space, and deposited in a new land, at a younger age. For a time, he did not pay much attention to such things. He played the hand he was dealt, and never questioned the dealer. It was not until he had married the first time, and had children that the shifts in his life affected him.

Death being meaningless, he became a bit reckless in his dealings with foes. He was quick to fight, and likely to be the one at the center of the brawl. Injuries healed at a remarkable rate, even those wounds which may have cost others their lives. Aedon did not fear the reaper because there was always a greater power that stood by, picked him up and sat him again on some path or other. This last trip had changed all that.

He had told Izzy many times that all magic comes with a cost. But even he was not prepared for the price exacted for this boon. Like all others around him, he would now age, life out a normal life, and in time leave to his final rest. What surprised him though was that he had become afraid, and the idea of a final death filled his nights with dreams and his days with an uncertainty of his actions. It was the talk of Ahoun again which frightened him the most. He had been granted some respite from the effects of the blade since it was gone. But now in waking dreams and night terrors he had come face to face with the thing which dwelt within the accursed sword.

It had taunted him, and tormented him with visions of his past. But in all instances it was a changed version of his history. John’s death, Izzy’s illness. Both had been warped into a vignette of a tale designed to push Aedon over the brink, and have him call out for Ahoun. It was only the odd turns in his mind which interwove bits of whimsy into the nightmares that kept him from losing all control. Love Wisdom and Bravery all served to refocus him mind on something closer to his reality. And if a cow dressed as a damsel were what it took to break the dream, then the shock that came with trying to catch the bovine beauty was well worth it.

Going back to sit on the steps, Aedon picked up his journal. He had been keeping one so many years that it had become habit to keep in close at hand at all times. Smiling a bit as he watches the gulls sailing on the wind currents as they called to the new day, Aedon began to write.

I have always wondered what it would be like to be as others around me. To be born, and live out a life surrounded by family and friends. But I have found over the past days that the thought of the end of my life frightened me a bit. While it is true that I believe that there is a great beyond where in time, we all will again meet, the journey to that far land is something I wanted to put off. To hold onto life a bit longer appeals to us all, and some even go so far as to wish for or desire to never grow old. As one that has been trapped in such a state of being for so long I cannot recommend it to anyone else.

But the fear of death was a new thing to me, and a real thing to me. And I had thought that it would surround my days and drain off any happiness that I might have been able to find. But there is an appeal in the idea of the mellowing of my life, and a thrill at the prospect of enjoying my sunset years surrounded by those I love without the fear of watching them fade into another time to be forever lost.

All magic comes with a cost, all good things in life must be ransomed in some way or form. I have paid the cost and now I know I have no regrets. And though I may need to listen harder for James arrivals, and my hair may turn grey quicker than I might like, I believe I am ready for what may come. The shadow of me that lives within Ahoun can no longer torment me. And though I feel sorrow for the lad who was far too young to have such a burden attached to him, I can no longer allow him to darken my days and cause me to fear the future. What the days ahead will bring may be unknown. But for now, life is good. And to die, would be a great adventure.