• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So much different

Sinidea

Visitor
I have a headache already, and thats just from the info I am trying to learn here on Stratics. I have so many questions:

What character is the most self-sufficient? Is it feasible for a new player with no gold and no other chars?
I know making a crafter is one answer here, but thats just sounds like a drag (I will eventually make one, but gathering resources is the bane of my existence, so I need monies to train skill).

Is 120 in some skills required just to play effectively?
I dont have millions of gold to throw down on PS's. Matter of fact, I have no gold at all in any of my bank boxes.

I dont understand the relationship between magical properties anymore(dear lord the abbreviations...). What in the hell is 2/6 and 4/6? Is any of this craftable? What is the line of demarkation on effectiveness of craftable magics and magics found hunting? How are magical items crafted? Can you pick your own magical properties?

As you can see, the items and properties in this game are giving me the most difficulty, followed by how/where to obtain said items.

There are a hundred different things I can ask about, but these seem to be the most important right now. I am definately not going out there to min/max right away, but I would like a general direction to point myself towards. Logging in back in '98 for the first time and trying to figure things out was fun, but its 2016 now and who the hell has that kind of time?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Welcome to Stratics, @Sinidea! These are great UO questions. You might try posting them in the UO Players Corner, which is designed for exactly this kind of advice. Here's the link: UO Players Corner

Again, it's a treat to have you in the community. Good luck!

Enziet

Journeyman
Mage Tamers, they are also the most common.

120 is not required, even though most people say it is. You may not have millions right now but you will.
I've made all of my money actually just hunting monsters, mind you I am also in a good active guild that actually plays together.

I don't play a mage, never have and never will so I cant answer any mage questions.

Alot of the general items in game are not found at one specific place, like in most MMO's these days you can lookup where to find said named item. You can do the same here, but if it's not a unique artifact, then it's just a general and can really be found almost anywhere.

This game is old, and it takes an old gamers mind set to get into this game. It is not a game for a casual especially when first starting off. It takes awhile to learn everything the game has to offer. If you don't already know it or cannot commit the time to learning it, this game will be a very big headache to you and not worth your time.

If you are looking for an artifact item try searching for it on UOguide's website. If you are just wanting more powerful gear. Start by choosing what you want to play, then spend the time learning what you will need to become effective in that play style. Then go out and try finding said gear, either by buying it off a player vendor, begging for it like most people do, or by killing monsters until it drops.

Stats on gear is random on most gear FYI.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faster Casting is a decrease in the amount of time to cast a spell, hence the first number in front of the slash when people say 2/6 or 3/4 or 4/6, etc.

Faster Casting Recovery is the latter number after the slash, and is used to indicate how soon you will be able to cast another spell.

For thing such as magery, mysticism and necromancy your cap is 2.

For things such as bard, spellweaving, nintjitsu, bushido, and chivalry your cap is 4. However, chivalry falls to faster casting of 2 if you have magery or mysticism at 70 or higher.

Equipment will increase your faster casting and faster casting recovery. Your character starts out with 0/0.

I will say, that if you play on Atlantic and need help with a suit I can at least get you started. If you want to do magery, necromancy or that sort of thing a simple 100% LRC (lower reagent cost) suit will help you. Otherwise, you need to pack the regeants for the spells that you want to cast...which needless to say is tedious in this day and age. I have my own opinions on what is efficient and what is not. This sort of thing is ridiculous to think about when comparing someone with much less time in game than 20 years.

When I started out a fighter was a good choice. You can get slayer weapons, get yourself a basic suit, and then start farming and making some goals for yourself. Back when I started it was months before I had any sort of suit that could survive more than a couple hits from a hard monster or player especially. The reason it took me months and months was being self sufficient. Any other questions fire away.

Sinidea

Visitor
Awesome, thanks guys. I will get more specific in my questioning in other sections now that I have read up on updates, crafting changes, etc.