• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Versatile Thief Build

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello all. I'm new to UO and been playing about 6 months now. Mostly play a dexxer and I've got a new suit. I've been looking for refinements and decided to make a their to steal from the strong boxes in Fel. Anyone got a good thief template to share. And armor choices. I've got a burgular bandana now. I'm mainly looking to steal from the strong boxes and maybe get info the dungeon rares or some champ spawns. Thanks for the help.

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you're just looking to steal from dungeons and lockboxes, you have a lot of options. All you really need is 120 stealing (after bonuses) and 100 lockpicking. Maybe Detect Hidden if you want to steal from Exodus boxes. So you can put whatever other pvm skills you want on there. Mage/music/Provo or peace seems like it might be fun.

When you say champ spawns, I assume you mean stealing scrolls from players? So if you want to do pvp stealing, then you need snooping. And you probably want hiding/stealth/ninja as well. So you could do something like

Stealing 110 (120 bandana)
Snooping 90 (110 bandana)
Hiding 100
Stealth 65-110 (75-120 bandana)
Ninja 110/120
Magery 105-120

That adds up to 580 if you stick with minimums, so you have another 140 points to play with. With +skill items/jewels, you can do a lot with that.

75 minimum stealth to not fail in meddable armor. 107.5 Ninja minimum to not fail llama form, so you have a little room there (I'd go 120, but you have the option). 106 Magery to not fail 7th circle spells. You can go higher or lower depending on what you want to do with your other skills.

Hope that helps. Happy hunting! ^^

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If you want PvP Stealing... Might I suggest that you do similar to what @Pignasty suggests, and look at possibly sticking some weapon skill on there, at least enough to be able to "Hit" most creatures. Damage isn't important, but the ability to use Shadow Strike is. If you're being chased the ability to smack a mongbat and instantly become hidden and in stealth mode is useful. I've found it really helpful when running after stealing scrolls at the rat spawn, ran out through Terathan keep via the star room only to find the Arachnid Spawn was popped and a bunch of giant spiders were mobbing me. Smack on, and *Poof*

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What kind of weapon skill would work best for this temp? Guess its time to start saving for 120 scrolls.

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You can shadow strike with a club, short spear, or skinning knife at 70 weapon skill. Or with an assassin spike, cutlass, dagger, or 2handed axe at 90 weapon skill. So you can do it with mace, fencing, or swords provided you have enough real skill in the appropriate weapon and 80 Stealth.

For your info:
Shadow Strike - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Personally, I've never used it. I find ninja smoke bombs to be enough, with occasional Magery invis spell. But even that is pretty rare for me.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You can shadow strike with a club, short spear, or skinning knife at 70 weapon skill. Or with an assassin spike, cutlass, dagger, or 2handed axe at 90 weapon skill. So you can do it with mace, fencing, or swords provided you have enough real skill in the appropriate weapon and 80 Stealth.
For your info:
Shadow Strike - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Personally, I've never used it. I find ninja smoke bombs to be enough, with occasional Magery invis spell. But even that is pretty rare for me.
That's true you could use smoke bombs, I prefer the shadows strike though as a back up because it ignores the hiding skill timer. I'm also one of those that likes to carry as little as possible that is lootable on me considering no matter where a character in the Thieves guild dies he is fully lootable (Tram or Fel Ruleset) and I use the character to search out IDOC's, and for Stealable Deco.

I'll have to dig out my exact template and post it here somewhere. I've done so in the past, and it's pretty gimp.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Awesome I'd love to see your temp. I've now got the burg bandana and the shadow dancers legs.
Thief.png

Burglar's Bandana, and Shadow Dancer leggings, and Oak Leaf Cloak replica as well as imbued jewlery works wonders.

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What does the delta mean? I've never ran a assist or macro program. Also what does the rest of your armor look like? I've for a crafter that's 120 in everything.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What does the delta mean? I've never ran a assist or macro program. Also what does the rest of your armor look like? I've for a crafter that's 120 in everything.
Delta means "Change" but it's not really that important.

chest.png gloves.png mempo.png sleeves.png

Gear could be better, but I've never bothered to upgrade it, I've worn that same gear since 2009....

Jewlery is imbued, for skill bonus'.

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My thief is on Siege, so I don't run skill jewels or any gear at all really. So my temp is pure thief with minimal offense/defense. Now I kinda wanna train up a prodo thief just for the expanded options ^^

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm still training and collecting leather to make the suit. Are their any other artifacts I should look out for? I'm going with burg bandana, shadow dancers legs, and hopefully a +20 stealth cloak. I think I will be able to fit all those skills in my temp by saving all those points.

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You only need tactics if you really want to stand and fight. With such a tight template already it would be tough, you'd have to sacrifice something else. And you're probably never going to kill a dedicated PVPer with a thief template, but with the temp @Nexus recommends, you could survive long enough to shadow strike and run. Or maybe take out some non-PVPers.

For me, it wouldn't be worth the struggle to try to fit tactics in.

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I thought shadow strike was a special move the needed the 70 or 90 tactics.

JFSF

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Awesome. Well I got hiding, stealing, stealth, all finished. Starting on mage fencing and ninja next.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What shard are you playing your thief on, JFSF? I'm a fairly average PvP thief; but, I'd love to show you a few tips and tricks that may be helpful. You can PM me if you'd rather not publicize where you're playing

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Player thief, minus the PvP, works great at idocs too
- 120 Stealing
- 120 Ninjitsu*
- 120 Stealth*
- 100 Hiding
- 100 Detect hidden
- 100 Tracking
- 100 Snooping
---------------------------
- 760 total, *100 real + 20 on rings

No points placed in fight, I figure if I need to fight I'm doing it wrong. You can't be red and in the thief guild and besides shadowstrike there's no reason to try and add fight to a template. Shadowstrike is nice but tracking/detect is nicer for my gameplay style. This template is cheap too, without fight you don't need much of anything on the template at all. Cap resists, stats and DCI, anything else is gravy.

Gravy: A thief needs empty hands to steal so a template is gimped right off the start, even more so when you need to sink so many points into thief skills. You are not going to kill anyone but the occasional Tramellite that wanders into Fel. That's why I suggest you don't gimp your thief by giving him fight skills at all, full defense is, imo, much better. Because you don't need to fight you can focus on building a wicked defensive suit.

Options
- Stuff skill points into the suit to hit 880 skill for an extra skill at 120
- Hit cap int + MR and stuff as much mana on there as possible to run shadow mastery almost non-stop
- etc, you get the idea. Don't forget about the DCI cap increase items to raise it to 50 or higher

Remember: Ninjitsu, last I checked, is not a combat skill and with a rating of 0 combat you get hit(a lot) more easily. Several skills thus become very interesting as stuffing candidates
- Wrestling IS a combat skill and at 70/90 skill Disarm is nice, if you see someone with an uninsured or cursed weapon(good ol days). It doesn't need tactics to be effective and lets you kill pesky lower level mobs that aggro. Paralyzing blow is a nice escape tool too, or a 'stand there while I rob you' tool.
- Focus IS a combat skill, it lets you run minimal dexterity on the template without running out of stam as quickly
- Fencing, of course, but without tactics it's for weapon effect and not for damage dealing.
- 60 heal/anat for a chance to cure some of those pesky poison revealing effects. Chiv is another option though Karma makes it weak.

This is just to help some people break away from the 'gotta build my thief with max kill' mentality. No kill is fine with a thief, imo.

Last edited:

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I completely agree, I can theoretically kill stuff (not players) with magery summons, but I use it almost exclusively for utility. And I LOVE having GM Detect. It may be my favorite skill after stealing/snooping.

*edit* And I use JOAT Tracking all the time. Even against GM/Legendary Hide/Stealth, you can still track about half the time. Also, if you're human, scrolls of wraith form can come in handy, to get around collision and stam blocking in Fel

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
JOAT(Jack of all trades) tracking is good too. I recommend having either the JOAT 20 skill or 100 skill in tracking, anything in between is a waste imo. You're either tracking a stealther in which case 100 is best or you're not in which case the 20 from JOAT is fine. Since other stealthers that you encounter in the places you will likely be are likely to be thieves you won't profit much from them anyway.

Two types of players rarely yield anything good, the PvP type who never carry valuables and the thief type who don't carry valuables unless they just jacked them.

Note: JOAT is a human racial(20 in all skills even if it doesn't show). If you plan on using JOAT level tracking then you must be human. If you plan on going to 100 tracking then being an elf is better because elves have the resist racial making them harder to track. There is also a suit of armor with stealth bonus that is available only to elves.

% Chance of tracking = (Tracking + Detect Hidden + Random 1-20) / (Hiding + Stealth) * 50

Common scenario: You will try to find a human who has 100 hiding as a 'gotta go afk a sec' skill but no stealth. With the above math, and accounting for JOAT(both human) and having 100 Detect Hidden skill, you have a 50% chance at tracking them if you have no tracking skill and an 85% chance if you have 100 tracking. 100 skill points in tracking for that 35% gain seems pretty expensive.

Last edited:

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I completely agree, I can theoretically kill stuff (not players) with magery summons, but I use it almost exclusively for utility. And I LOVE having GM Detect. It may be my favorite skill after stealing/snooping.

*edit* And I use JOAT Tracking all the time. Even against GM/Legendary Hide/Stealth, you can still track about half the time. Also, if you're human, scrolls of wraith form can come in handy, to get around collision and stam blocking in Fel
Hi, sorry really hate making new threads for no reason when I see something that has helpful information. Why is GM detect ideal for you? Are places you're going frequented that often by other stealthers?

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It can be fairly handy at spawns since they added the skill requirement for passive detect of dungeon traps. It sucks to be outed by a hidden trap. Also, to reveal those buggers that hide or use invis to try to escape with their scrolls. Oh, and VvV. Some days I wish I had detect hidden; that's for sure.