• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

On Wings and a Prayer

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The wind blows strong, bringing a quickening to my heart as all around the ship the shadows of land and other crafts blend into an azure haze. Looking up, I catch sight of Nemira, her massive wings spread, whipping the surface of the water into a churning frenzy. Izzy cannot seem to see her, and I suppose it is for the best. To see Nemira in this fashion may stir fear within her. And I would not have her frightful this night.

The journey there will take little time. This I can recall from the many times in the past I have made this trip. And Nemira makes a mockery of the miles, leaving them strung out behind her as she aims our craft to a spot only she recalls.

Over our heads a blanket of stars shines down, only to quickly fall behind us as we move on towards the barrier. I have not spoken much to Izznet about what will happen as we pass within. In truth, I cannot recall with clarity my first time within. I can only recall a feeling of expansiveness, and wonder. I suppose it is possible that each of us see something different and special unto ourselves. And what time we spend within is determined by the burdens we bring forth with us.

It is a tumultuous place. Where in the birth of planets is measured in a span of seconds. And one not strong enough to pass through can easily become forever lost within. I suppose that is why I kept asking Izzy if she were certain she wished to set sail with me. After all, I know the ending to this trip, and she undertakes it with a sense of hope and innocence of spirit.

Nemira speaks softly into my mind, advising that we brace ourselves as the barrier lies directly ahead. Grasping Izzy’s hand, I smile to her and commit to memory the look on her face. For a moment, time around us seems to stand still, as ropes, clothing and cups of coffee are tossed about our heads. Closing my eyes, I offer a quick prayer.

Then silence, and I find myself standing alone within the maelstrom.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He did not move a step off his mark, but instead waited till the noise and swirling winds around him calmed, then slowly ceased. It was an area within wish he has stood before, and the familiarity of the place served to calm him down. There was no wall to be seen, no corners to define. Just an expanse of endless gray. As he stood there, looking slowly in all directions, the sound of footsteps slowly approached. At first, he could see no one. Only the thin grey outline of a being at the far edge of his vision.

“Who is there?” he called out.

“Now Aedon, who do you think it would be? Have you not made the journey here to see me countless times now? And would you not expect that I would on this occasion be here waiting?”

“Why have I not passed through yet?”

Well Aedon, you bring something different with you this time do you not? A thing that I have forbid you contact with on more than one occasion.”

“Yes Father, I have brought her. With the blessing of the elements she has come seeking redemption. Would you turn away a life looking for rebirth?”

“Always trying to get one past me. But this is not some stray puppy you dragged in from the streets of Connemara, this is a creature of vile circumstance and intent.”

She is not limited to or defined by the curse she bares. She has shown a yearning for life. A need to feel and breathe. A desire to love and be……..”

Holding up his hand the shadowy figure stopped Aedon in mid-sentence.

“She desires life you say Aedon? Then tell me my son, what is she now?”

“She is…a woman.”

“What is she Aedon?”

“Fine, if you need a word to describe her, then she is kindred.”

“And what pray tell is kindred other than a vampire? The very essence of un-life and you bring her to this place seeking our blessing?”

“No father, I do not seek your blessing. I have Nemira’s.”

For a moment the figure stood mute, regarding the younger man who stood before him. Had this been other times, he might have struck down his creation and started from scratch. But it had been many years now since Aedon had fulfilled the purpose laid out for him, and the lack of any need to punish stayed his hand. Walking slowly forward, the man stood within clear sight of Aedon looking long and hard into the younger’s eyes.

“You have changed Aedon. Perhaps I have for too long now allowed you free will in your life and choices. It may be time to bring you to your rest, and turn the vessel containing your creature around.”

“If you will do that then allow me to return as well. For there is nothing for me beyond the barrier if she is not there.”

“You would give up the gifts I have given you for the sake of one such as she?”

“I would sir, and I am just as sure that faced with the choice she would not hesitate to do the same for me. Please Father, allow me to tell you about her, and if at the end you are not moved, then send us back and remove your gifts.”

The elder regarded Aedon for many long moments and then sighed, and softened his gaze on his son.

“Come and sit with me for a time Aedon, and tell me of this woman you and Nemira have deemed worthy.”

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The evening began with a thick air of anticipation for the journey to come. She had longed for a way to be free of her curse and walk among the living. To have an opportunity so unique and sweet as the one in her palms was almost more than she could fathom.

Hand in hand they walked one last time through Aegis and Yew. The buildings and trees were familiar yet oddly quiet. So much had changed yet always the same.

She paused a moment to feel again the BaleFire that ran beneath the ground and stung her feet. It was a living fire that had on many occasions tried to “purge” her darkness. Only recently had the burn eased to a dull smolder.

She paused one more moment to listen to the sounds of Yew before stepping onto the deck of the mighty ship that would sail her to her fate. The winds seemed far too quiet to move them at any reasonable pace, but she was confident all would be as it should. Stepping aboard she couldn’t help but smile.

“Permission to board, Capt’n.”

“Granted!”

His smile was broad but backed with a quiet resolve. They both knew full well this was not an ordinary trip. There was a lot at stake and a heavy price for failure.

“Last chance to change your mind.”

The words were barely spoken before the ship lurched into open waters. The chuckle to his question was her response. Come what may, the step was taken and she would need to steel herself to follow through with all she had claimed to desire.

Spreading her arms wide allowing the winds to rush across her body she savored the feel of salt water spraying against her face. She could feel him watch her but dared not turn to look at him. The sad smile on his face made her anxious, it was almost as if deep down he knew, as she did, the turmoil and torture she would face.

Stepping near her he took her hand and squeezed it gently. Smiling up at him the last thing she saw clearly was his emerald eyes gazing at her as if to capture every feature and commit it to memory. In that moment her mind went to caress his face.

In a whoosh of a vacuum the world fell silent. The waves ceased their beating against the hull, the crack of wind against the sails lay still almost suffocating. A swirling eddy of nothing surrounded her alone. The moment passed and the air released into a soul crushing silence followed by an ear splitting scream that made her ears bleed.

They were in the barrier and it was not happy to see her.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The longer she stood on the deck the more she realized the deck was no longer there. Her feet were floating above a churning vortex of faces gripped in the agony of their dying breath. Some she recognized, others were far too distorted to make out any detail. They were all the ones she had slain over generations of being Kindred.

Her feet were trapped in the grasp of those who had taken her from her home, damaged and humiliated her at her beginnings. Wrapping around her legs in a paralyzing hold were those she took vengeance. The armies they had laid waste in early battles. So many hands, so many faces were overwhelming and heartbreaking.

The swarm continued up her body threatening to overtake her. She was powerless to move against its crushing accusations. Without warning it paused and parted before a thin gray mist that came across the horizon.

Riding the mist was a stunningly beautiful figure dressed in long flowing gown of bright white ornamented in crimson and deep purple. The headdress worn was a tall crown that draped down her back in flowing chains of gold accented by tiny bells. Bare feet hovered over the cloud allowing it to carry her forward. When she spoke it was with the force of thunder and the vicious sting of lightning.

“You disappoint me, little girl.”

Izznet held her ground in silence as she steeled her resolve.

“You come to this place expecting to just meander through and forget what and who you are? Allow me to remind you of a few things. You are nothing to the Light, it hates everything about you. What makes you think you are worthy of this voyage?”

With a flick of her wrist the bond that had kept Izznet silent was released.

“I am worthy. I am blessed by the Elements and bound by heart, I am not alone. If I am found unworthy by Light, then allow the Light to speak. You come to me to sway my resolve and I shant have it.”

“You are a pathetic little fool! You know Nothing of what you seek! They will still hate you. And then what will you have? Nothing!”

“I had nothing before, I will have nothing again. This I do not fear! Announce yourself. Who are you?”

James had spoken of a Fetch at their last meeting, perhaps this was something similar. Yet the vague memory of the benign nature of a Fetch rang again in her mind. This was something far more sinister.

“I AM YOU!”

The screech brought Izznet to her knees, blood oozing from her nose, eyes and ears. When she was able to look again on the figure before her it had changed. Her true image stood before her in the death ridden horror that had lingered for generations.

Hunched and shriveled with gaunt features and a malevolent smile, the creature was the embodiment of all things evil. Releasing a laugh that could freeze the ocean Izznet was forced to face herself on unfamiliar ground. The only thing that kept her from succumbing to the onslaught were the faces of those she loved.

“Please be there when I die,” she whispered to the sliver of light.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
All of the tools and items Avalon had been so careful to pack were far out of reach. Izznet was forced to address the Darkness without aid. Closing her eyes and picturing Aedon’s face as he smiled at her and hearing his voice in her mind, “you are worthy” gave her a boldness to confront her demons. The fact she had not taken a life in many days prior to their leaving had rendered her far weaker than she had anticipated.

Finding herself back on the ship Izznet tried to stand. Without warning the dark figure picked her by the throat and slung her like a rag doll. Izznet went skittering across the deck of the ship crashing into the rails wedged into the side of a cannon.

“Now, little girl, a Mortal would not have survived that! You, will live.”

Again the dark figure yanked on Izznet holding her in the air. Izznet smiled at the figure. Without saying a word, Izznet merely looked at her and smiled.

“What is funny?”

“Nothing is funny,” Izznet choked out a whisper.

“Then Wipe that ridiculous grin off your face!”

The figure threw Izznet again. Wrapping her around the main mast causing it to crack and splinter threatening to fall, Izznet groaned as she hit the deck. Rising slowly to a stand, Izznet mustered her resolve summoning a strength she had no idea was there. Closing her eyes she pictured in her mind the sweet glow of sunlight and his strong hand caressing her face.

“You will fail, Worm!”

Izznet’s body flew through the air high into the sails crashing into the crow’s nest and tumbling down the lines. Landing in a crumpled heap she paused a moment before once again standing to smile at her darkness.

The smile continued to vex the figure bringing more bone crushing throws. Each time Izznet would stand and smile. The picture in her mind grew in strength as she focused on those she loved.

Standing at the poop deck Izznet turned to face her accuser. The dark figure stormed toward her, a deep evil hatred burning in her eyes. Each step shook the deck threatening to collapse boards. Closing her eyes, Izznet summoned the BaleFire.

“Stop!” she whispered.

Izznet held out both hands to the approaching figure causing a wave of fire and light to rumble across the deck. As the fire approached the darkness a fine ash surrounded it. Searing pure light and a fire that hated evil purged the creature from the ship.

In a puff of smoke and ember the battle was over. Izznet had, indeed, been accepted by the element of Fire. It had come in her hour of need. If nothing else, she knew she was free.

Crumpling to the deck Izznet’s body lay battered, bruised and broken. As Kindred she would have been able to heal herself, as a mortal the evidence of a beating would linger. A voice in her mind left her with a smile on her face regardless of the agony in her body.

“You have not needed me for some time, Lady of Darkness. Go and live in the Light.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In The Father's House

Aedon followed behind the elder as he made his way towards a growing point of Light. Slowly the shapeless shadows gave way to the glow of a warm fire glowing in the hearth. Aedon knew well the room he found himself standing in. As a lad he had spent countless hours on the rug before the fire reading old stories and poetry from the collection of books which seemed to cover every wall. This he knew to be the physical manifestation of Figol’s library as it showed itself behind the heavy oak door on the upper floor of the castle. This is the way Aedon recalled it, though others who happened to open the door said they were greeted by mass confusion and a feeling of stepping onto a precipice overlooking a vast void.

As they came within the physical confines of the room, the Eld mage motioned for Aedon to sit in the chair facing his. At first, nothing was said. Sitting in the leather bound chair which resembled a throne carved from an ancient Rowan tree, Figol lit his pipe, and sat back allowing the smoke to escape his lips, and gather slowly around where the two of them sat. After a time, he sat the pipe aside, and picked up a cup, taking a sip of what Aedon remembered would be a strong fae tea.

“Now Lad, tell me about this Drow woman you bring before me.”

Taking a deep breath, Aedon began to speak calmly. He told of the slaughter of Izznet’s family. Of her being taken as a slave, the child she bore being ripped from her womb and consumed at the dinner table of the cruel matriarch who condemned her line to death. Of beatings, and ****s too numerous to count, and too vile to remember. It was not enough to bring down her house, this woman wanted to be sure that even the name Hu’nar was placed lower than the slime that oozes from the earth. He spoke of the time that those of a village beat her almost to the point of death, dumping he on the steps of a kindred male in hope that the sacrifice would please him and he would not attack the village.

“And did this please the night walker?” Figol asked deliberately.

“No sir, it reviled him, and seeing the poor creature dumped like a dead animal on his stairs he was moved to pity.”

“Interesting, tell me more.”

Continuing on, Aedon told him how the male took Izznet inside his mouse and tried to tend her wounds. He was forced to reset her leg bone with nothing to ease her pain, and gently washed away the dirt and blood caked to her arms legs and face. But the injuries she sustained were too great for her to long survive, and he told her of a choice that might allow her to continue on, and in time seek retribution from those who had so wronged her and her family. Nodding her acceptance, the male turned her that night.

“So what you are saying then is that she was turned to bring vengeance into the world?”

“No father, I am saying that she did not wish to cease to be and accepted the only option open to her at the time.?

“Continue Aedon.”

"Through the long years ahead, Izznet and her sire stayed together and yes, they did deal with the villagers that treated life with such disdain. The two had become a force to be feared in the region, and few things or rulers could stand before them. In time, her sire was captured, and put to death leaving Izznet alone. For many years hatred seemed to consume her. Hatred for those who took her family, hatred for those who took from her the sire that had protected her. Her anger drove her through night after night of bloody rampage. With no direction and no hope, she seemed destined to continue as she was. By some stroke of luck, she was found by another Drow and delivered to a man named Ramses. The other did this not only for the safety of the general population, but for Izznet’s well being."

“Where is this new man now, and why is he not tending to her instead of you?”

“Well, as I can recall from what I was told, he left her. Izznet then wandered alone for some time before coming under the watchful gaze of Avalon.”

“Ah, this is where the stone watcher comes in.”

Thinking for a moment, Aedon simply nodded his head.

“You told me what she was, but is that not what she still is?”

“No sir. By this time, Izznet had come to hate what she was, what she had become. At one point she even asked the watcher to end her life. Avalon had talons etched in silver, and many ruins carved into her body.”

“I know the marks the watcher bears Aedon.” Figol said. Aedon thought he could see a faint smile or perhaps smirk on the elder’s face. “What I want to know is, how she came to stand with you.”

“It is an odd story Father. You see, I had known of her for some time. Avalon often discussed her charge with me. And then there came a time last year when a person approached Izznet and sought to hire her to take me captive and torture me. This person wanted nothing more than for me to suffer. Izznet took the job under consideration, and came to Aegis looking for me.”

“You seem fit, so I am assuming she did not complete the task?”

“This is true. A bond seemed to form between us quickly. Perhaps it was because I did not look upon her with the scorn so many others have. We spent many long hours sitting talking about life, music and art. And I came to realize that she and I shared much in common. She in turn seemed to enjoy my company.”

“And did you not fear being turned by her? One as lonely as you present her to be would surely be looking for shall we say a kindred spirit.”

“No, I have never feared that from her. In fact, she had given her word that never would she seek such action against me. She has even asked that I stand ready to end her life and send her to her long sleep.”

“Ah yes, Do Gras, the dagger you had forged. Tell me Aedon, do you believe that you will be capable of such a task?”

Sitting back a moment Aedon stared into the fire considering his response carefully. He did not know what the elder sought, but knew well that his answer had better be truthful. Slowly raising his head, he looked into Figol’s eyes and said.

“Yes Father, I can and would end her life. But not out of hatred for what she had been, but out of love of the person I see she has become.”

Picking up his cup again, Figol watched Aedon for a few moments. There was no deception in the youngers words. As they sat there, Aedon saw a white light gathering behind Figol’s chair. The brightness stabbed at his eyes, causing him to blink several times. The intensity slowly diminished and Nemira could be seen hovering behind Figol’s chair.

“Nemira, is the time at hand?”

“Yes, she wavers not in her resolve, but her strength is failing her.”

Without turning to face her, Figol nodded his head slowly. With that the light grew again, and a red glow gathered and swept over the room. Looking within, Aedon could suddenly see the courtyard of castle Connemara. Along a fence of piled stone stood Figol, in flowing robes of azure blue. Behind him, a small swallow tailed kite swooped and played in the midday sun. Smiling, Aedon realized he had just seen Nemira in her true form. Suddenly, the mage turned to face Aedon’s sight, and he made note of how the mages robes billowed and moved like the surface of the water. Raising his staff before him, Figol closed his eyes, muttering an incantation as old as time. From the staff the same white light gathered, and moved rapidly across the distance between the two of them. As the light passed him, and faded slowly to a misty grey, Aedon found himself standing on the deck of the Celtic Tide.

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Lying on the deck of the Celtic Tide badly beaten and bloody, Izznet moaned quietly. There was the feeling of crisp salt air on her skin, it spoke that she was still alive. The fact she felt cold brought a bitter sweet smile to her face. She was mortal and could feel. Even as she saw the light fade, she knew her life was her own. Death would be on her term.

“Aedon.” The soft croaked whisper sat heavy on the air before she faded back into the silence of unconsciousness.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He was barely on the ships deck for any time when he sensed another life close to him. Turning to face the rear of the ship he could make out the small form of a woman lying on the deck. Moving swiftly to where she lay, Aedon sat on the ground and lifted Izznet’s body a bit, cradling her in his arms.

‘Well now lass, looks like you put up a devil of a fight, and the devil almost won.”

Closing his eyes, he lay his hand on her forehead. A soft glow began to emanate from his hand, and slowly moved through her body. He could not help but shudder a bit, as waves of the pain which she felt coursed up his arm, and radiated deep within. The sensation was not long lived, but left a lingering tingling as it slowly subsided. As her wounds began to heal, he stood up, and lifting her, carried her to a mat laid out on the deck underneath the main mast.

Going to the galley, he brought up a glass of cool water, and mixed in some of the powders Avalon had sent. Then sitting again, he lifted her head and cooed softly, encouraging her to drink. It was good to see that she readily drank the contents. They would ease some of the discomfort still lingering, and quell her hunger until she was fully awake. Pulling a soft coverlet over her, he sat silently watching the steady movement of her chest as her body drew in the oxygen she now clearly needed.

“For better or for worse, it is done now. Now you can feast on cookies and all the apples you desire. There will time to enjoy the sunrise, and if all goes well, a few walks on a quiet beach before we think of the voyage home. May this be all you have dreamed of and more.”

Leaning over, he kissed her softly on the forehead allowing his lips to linger savoring the warmth of her skin. And then rising, he walked to the bow of the ship, and looked east into the coming dawn.

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Drawing in air was a chore and caused a great deal of pain due largely to broken ribs. But the warmth he radiated drew out pain and replaced it with the soft crackle of mending and fusing together bone to bone. The bruises would likely take a while more to repair, but the broken bones returned to their rightful places without argument.

The sensation of breathing, even in her current state, was remarkable. She had forgotten how much of a natural reaction the body had to air. It was almost as if her lungs lusted for air so badly it could not help but inhale their fill and release its sweet kiss as a return.

With the fog in her mind lifting a distant echo of her name floated to her consciousness. Focusing on the voice she followed the sound back to the waking. Her eyes fluttered open and the first image that came to view was a soft milky gray backdrop to the face of the one she adored.

Gazing down on her he smiled. His strong hands cupped her face in a tenderness she had seen but never really felt. There was warmth in his touch that thrilled her in a way she had not thought possible. It was warmth, and she was immediately intoxicated by it.

Helping her stand, his arms wrapped around her, she smiled at the feel of his muscles under her touch. She felt as he moved, with grace and elegance, the power and strength of his body. Watching his breathing reminded her to breathe. When his hair blew across her face she could feel each strand. His kiss, oh the sweet joy of his lips to her skin!

The weakness she felt coupled with the aches throughout her body reminded her of the battle that had taken place. Taking her in his arms she was distracted by his deep earthy aroma. His presence was invigorating and relaxing all at once. Her greatest desire was to fold into his arms and bury her face in his chest taking in his scent.

Leading her to the bow they sat on the deck to watch the sunrise. He encouraged her to remove her coverings and take in the sun. While he went to get breakfast, she removed the thick layers that had acted as protection for so long.

Handing her a basket full of food and chuckling at the look on her face he turned her to the east to watch the sun. As the sun peeked over the horizon she was mesmerized at the beauty of a new day. The glory and warmth of the sun melted away the pain and the memory of the battle she had just fought.

She rooted around in the basket until she found the item she sought. A nice red apple begging to be tasted smiled up at her. Taking the fruit in both hands she crunched down on the crisp skin smiling at the sound it made. Juices flowed freely rippling over her hands and chin turning her into a sticky apple mess.

Aedon sat and watched her enjoy the apple as the sun kissed her face for the first time in centuries. She held out her hand to the rays of sun that danced across the deck. They invited her to bathe in their glory, so she did. So many sensations flooded her mind and body, she was overwhelmed but happy.

Her hands were compelled to touch everything. The smells and sights that bombarded her senses filled her being with awe and wonder. So much she had forgotten being a creature of night. It was all at her fingertips once more.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aedon could not help but laugh as he watched Izznet searching through the ships stores for more things to taste and enjoy. She seemed determined to enjoy all that she could find in the way of food and drink. Teasing her Aedon had remarked that it was a good thing that Nemira was pulling the ship. Otherwise the trip would take too long and they would both surely starve.

Her hands reached out to touch the deck, masts, sails and every piece of clothing they had both brought along. She was as a child seeing and experiencing everything for the first time. When at last she seemed to stop in her search for all things enjoyable, Aedon smiled and told her that tomorrow they would find an island to go ashore on, and that she would be able to go swimming.

At first she grinned and spun in circles across the deck. Then stopping she come to him and whispered into his ear.

“I will tell you a secret. I cannot swim.”

Laughing lightly, he took her into her arms and kissed her saying.

“I would not worry about that leannan, I cannot sail.”

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The simple acts of everyday life became a grand adventure in tactile exploration. Things she had assumed were discovered anew. Catching herself running around the deck like a whirling dervish made her stop and laugh out loud, which in turn made her laugh more at the act of laughing.

When the laughing was subsided and tears that streamed down her face wiped away she sat on the rail and marveled at the freshness of life. Watching the surf beat against the hull she was reminded of a heartbeat. Even the world had a rhythm and a pulse that for countless generations she had missed.

When a bird landed on the rail next to her she leaned in to hear its heartbeat. Unable to hear its life or smell its life essence was both intriguing and terrifying. Realization that she was indeed, mortal settled like a warm blanket.

“You are fragile, my friend.”

Speaking to the gull only garnered a perplexed look from her audience. She sat very still so as not to make the bird fly away. It cocked its head and took a step closer as if to allow her to study it more closely.

Holding out a piece of bread to her new friend, the white bird came and took it from her fingers, its bright yellow eyes ever watchful. She watched the crisp white feathers and the carefree taunt of its call to the wind as it spread wings and disappeared on the horizon.

Considering the encounter, she realized she did not hear it’s essence but she felt it. She didn’t see the bird in shades of gray and veining red, but in its fullness of white, black, yellow and browns. She heard the sea gull speak in her heart, not just in her mind. The most intriguing part was it did not fear her.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am thoroughly enjoying watching Izznet at play. Perhaps it is because like many, I have lost much of the wonder I used to feel at the dawning of a new day. New discoveries are out there to be made, and she pursues them with the zeal of a child, and the passion of a young lover. And though I wish that we could float lazily out here for years, I feel the time of return is close at hand.

Today I docked the ship off the shore of a sandy beach, and watched while she player joyfully in the surf. Several times she teased me, urging me to join in her frolic. When I refused, she ran from the water, ant throwing her arms around me left me utterly soaked. Later aboard the tide she seemed a bit surprised to find herself shivering from the chill winds. I advised that she put something warmer on, while I poured some hot coffee.

As we talked I became acutely aware that I was tired. I asked her pardon, and promised that when I awoke we would enjoy a picnic on the deck, under the night’s stars. As I drifted off to sleep I could hear her humming a song, and then felt her body against my back as she joined me on the mat.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Lying on her back gazing up at the fluffy clouds Izznet made up stories for each of the characters she saw. One set of clouds brought a smile to her face and made her sit up. Aedon still slept beside her, so she put her inquiry to the main mast.

“Will Hairy know me when we return?”

The pooka had been a bit vexing at times in his relentless pursuit of capturing her soul. Had he any idea what all was involved in taking her soul, he may have thought twice before desiring it so deeply. Now that it was different, she wondered if he would even recognize her.

~**~

As dawn rested on the horizon a full moon sang to Izznet and reminded her of dances to her deity. The devotion shown was an act of an obedience she hoped would qualify her to a higher realm. With the inner demons vanquished, she hoped the dance would feel different. Her fear, and what had kept her from dancing til this moment, was that she would still be rejected.

Centuries of training, hiding and secretly pleading to be at peace had turned her heart to stone. She thought it was stone, when it began to beat once more she dared to hope. Hope has strength in its fragility. Taking a step to a circle would prove her hope or condemn her to her final fate.

Drawing a circle on the poop deck with grave dust she closed her eyes and readied her inner quiet to offer her sacrifice of dance. Shedding clothing to dance as is expected she began to hum the soft melody taught to her by the high priestess who had brought her to these lands.

Soft swaying as she gathered the rhythm of the ocean beneath her. The song and movements built in strength as she allowed her mind to focus on the soft silvery moon. Opening her mind’s eye to see the shafts of light that had released her soul the dance took shape.

Following the movement of the ship on the waves she stepped into the ring. Her feet touched lightly around the edge of the circle as she formed her mental boundaries. Her hands she held out, chest high palms facing each other.

The top hand pushed out and up releasing her prayers to the heavens. Drawing it back to her heart the other hand pushed out and up releasing her gratitude for being heard. This motion was repeated as her feet stepped lightly around the circle never crossing the line.

Her right foot stepped in front of the left foot turning inward to form a sharp angle. Her left foot then stepped in front turning the opposite direction. As these steps toured around the circle her arms continued their weaving of prayers and gratitude. Mixed into her fluid movements was the song she sang.

I am made of the Morning Light

My body sings to the glory of creation and the essence of life.

Take my heart’s cry and answer my plea.

In all I am, and all I will become, take my thanks to your mercy.

As she danced the words held a new weight in her mind and heart. They suddenly became true. She could sing without the shadow of her lie lingering on her lips. As realization touched notes in her heart she could feel the tingle of acceptance.

Sea breezes swirled around her tossing her hair around her face and shoulders. As the dance neared its end each pass of her foot dismissed grave dust from its place. She was no longer bound by the confines of death, but had been allowed the glimpse into life.

Opening her eyes to see Aedon watching her made her jump. But the joy she felt was enough to surround him and envelope him into her bliss. Partaking of a meal with him became the essence of jubilation. Allowing the evening to settle in his arms was the perfect end to their adventure. She had been given a rare gift of great value.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Standing on the deck of the Tide, Aedon smiled as he watched Izzy at play. The past week had been an endless run of new discoveries and excitement, from her first taste of an apple, to last night’s final sip of the wine he had brought with him from Aegis. He could not help but smile as he recalled her squeal of delight when she stepped into the cold ocean waters. It was a task not to scoop her up and toss her further into the surf; but this was her time, and he wanted her to fully experience what it meant to be truly alive.

And though he seemed joyous and carefree in his musings, Aedon was ever mindful of the time of day, and knew well that their ship had been slowly drifting east towards the barrier. Already this day, just beyond the sight of mortal men, Aedon had seen Nemira swiftly riding the winds as she shadowed the Celtic Tide.

The joy of their time here had been real, her heart’s song swelled with the wonder of a child newly born. But evening drew nigh, and with the darkling skies a sadness crept across Aedon’s thoughts. Mile after mile, hour after hour they slid on across the water’s surface. Aedon could not help but laugh out loud as he watched Izzy losing a battle with the ocean spray which seemed determined to soak her to the bone.

From behind, then, the winds rushed forward, sending a stiff breeze across the deck of the ship. As the great bird overtook the Tide and passed over head Izznet cried out happily, waving to Nemira as she moved beyond, catching the craft up in her wake. Turning his gaze towards the east Aedon watched as they rapidly approached the grey curtain which marked the barrier.

There is a moment, for all of us, when time seems to stand still; when both dread and anticipation give way to questions and hesitation. Unable to move, Aedon could not take his eyes off Izznet as she sang and danced upon the ships deck, flapping her arms to emulate Nemira in flight. With a flash of light, and a sudden jolt, the Tide pierced the barrier. Turning towards Aedon, Izzy smiled. He would never forget the look on her face, the unbridled happiness; and, in her eyes he saw that, truly, she was now free. As he called out to her:

“Leannan, is tú mo áthas is mó.”

Izzy stopped her dance, and fell to the deck of the ship as it surged through the barrier, to be greeted on the other side by a glorious sunrise. Just past the barrier, a shimmer of gold could be seen churning the waters beneath it. Nemira’s flight continued forward, drawing the Tide through the gold moongate to the waters just off the coast of Emerald Point. Releasing the ship from her wake, Nemira hovered above the deck. As the movements of the craft slowed and seemed for a moment to jolt as though settling back into its proper time, Aedon looked out over the ships deck. The body lay there still, and though it was little more now that a collection of bones, baked dry under a summer sun, he knew with certainty that he was looking upon Izznet’s remains. Entering the hold of the ship, he drew out a flowing shroud of white satin and a coil of silver laced cord. Walking back to where the it lay, Aedon sat about the task of wrapping the remains. He did so slowly, with reverence and love. As he labored, he began to sing softly an old Gaelic tune.

Of all the money that e'er I had
I spent it in good company
And all the harm I've ever done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To mem'ry now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be to you all

Once the bones and clothing were rolled within the shroud, Aedon opened the pouch next to him and drew out a bit of rich soil. Holding it in his hand, he looked upon it and whispered.:

“Forgive me Avalon, but your gift is now needed here.”

Sprinkling the soil over the bones, he continued to sing softly.

So fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate’er befalls
And gently rise and softly call

Once he had finished sprinkling the soil he reached again into the pack and drew out a dagger etched and tipped in silver. Raising the blade till it was positioned over where the torso would be. And allowing it to hover there for a moment, sang on.

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They're sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They'd wish me one more day to stay

Looking down to the body, he thrust the dagger, with full force, piercing through bone, shroud and deck. Then, taking up the silver cord, he began to secure tightly the shroud around the bones within. As he worked, tears streamed down his face as he remembered her dancing joyfully in the wisp circle one moonlight night.

But since it fell unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I gently rise and softly call

He did not see Nemira arrive, he felt the wind around him and the shift of the ship as she settled on the deck just past the silver wrapped shroud. He knew he should greet her. After all, it was through her grace that the gift was made available to Izznet. But, he could not face her at this time, he feared she would see a weakness in him which he struggled to keep hid. She waited but a moment, and then spoke softly to him.

“My son, you have done what was needed, what you promised her you would do one day. This is not a time for sorrow but for joy. You have seen her stand in the light of day. Do not mourn over much what had to be. There is always a price to be paid Aedon, and this is a fair price for what was given.”

Looking up to look upon the wind Aedon nodded slowly.

“Figol and I have prepared a place. She will sleep now in hallowed grounds and her peace will endure unto the worlds ending. “

Standing back a bit, Aedon watched as Nemira lifted slightly above the deck and wrapped her talons around shroud and body. Rising slowly, she turned towards the west, and letting out a shrill call, flew off with the speed of a gale. Standing watching, Aedon finished his song.

But since it fell unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I gently rise and softly call

(The Parting Glass Irish folk song)

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He was unsure how much time had passed as he stood staring into the west. There was nothing there to see now. Nemira and her burden were long gone, and Aedon knew well that her body may already have been laid to rest weeks ago. Time within that land held no meaning. But as he looked on, he had an overpowering desire to sit once again before his own hearth. He had mourned the passing of one he had come to love, but it was time to let go of the past, as she had already. Picking up the remnants of cloth and silver cord, Aedon went to the hold of the ship and stowed them away. The small pouch he had pulled the dagger and soil from he also slipped deep within, behind other bits of cargo.

“I could really go for a cup of coffee about now.” He thought.

Going to the galley, Aedon poured some coffee and headed towards the bow of the ship. Setting the brew aside, as he lowered himself to sit on the deck. Leaning close, he laid his hand softly on Izznet’s face and called to her.

“Wake up Leannan, we are home.”

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
*disclaimer to this thread*
Izznet has fully endorsed the direction this story took. I approved and encouraged it. All those who find it troubling, relax and enjoy the story for what it is. There was No coercion or manipulation involved by either party.
Thank you.
~*~

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In fact, Beth was asked many times if she was sure she wished to do this. I gave her many chances as it progressed to turn aside from the path and just enjoy a boat ride. No one should ever alter their character for anyone else and no one should ever deny each of us to play our character as we see fit. This is her story, Izznet's tale, and no one else. It is our hope that you enjoyed the telling.