• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is your age? (Answer in the Poll)

What is your age?

• 70+

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • 60 to 69

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • 50 to 59

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • 40 to 49

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • 30 to 39

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • 20 to 29

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 10 to 19

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please answer in the Poll only. I'm curious to what the average player age is. Especially, when you consider the age of UO. If UO is acquiring any younger players.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please answer in the Poll only. I'm curious to what the average player age is. Especially, when you consider the age of UO. If UO is acquiring any younger players.
this poll wont answer any of those questions in an analytical manner....soory

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong I just don't agree with you. It gives a basic idea of statistics.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no it gives mathematically incorrect answers to the wrong questions.

At best it would tell you the average age of posters on Uhall at a given time and date.
there is almost no causative link between posters of Uhall, and new players, or active players or anything UO related.
Those most likely to reply to you, and post honestly...probably havent even logged into the game in 6 months....
You are asking the wrong questions, not enough questions, and in the wrong place.

Sorry...this is really analytics 101.....

Last edited:

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all stuff you are assuming. There is nothing scientific to what your saying.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this poll will do is give you an age profile of stratics posters. It tells you nothing of UO acquiring young players.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL. Wow T-wolf, lighten up. It's just a curiosity thing I myself have wondered from time to time. No one is intending to use the results to chart the future of mankind or anything.

or are they....
Sure I guess if your curiosity is satisfied by misinformation that isnt accurate or particularly helpful in anyway.
His/her/it's original post said this would tell us how many new players are coming into UO. All I was doing was pointing out that this poll will not do that in any way, shape or form.....

drops mic... I am out!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All this poll will do is give you an age profile of stratics posters. It tells you nothing of UO acquiring young players.
it wont even do that....since Uhall is only a subset of Stratics.

We all know a lot of Stratic's posters that wont touch Uhall with a 10 foot pole (poll) lol

Last edited:

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*you fail in your attempt to provoke*
No provocation intended. Much like TW, I was just pointing out that your poll wont actually tell you anything to do with UO or its new players. Sorry if you dont like that fact. But at least you now have a firmer grasp on the age profile of UHall posters.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure I guess if your curiosity is satisfied by misinformation that isnt accurate or particularly helpful in anyway.
His/her/it's original post said this would tell us how many new players are coming into UO. All I was doing was pointing out that this poll will not do that in any way, shape or form.....

drops mic... I am out!
And what proof do you have of this, just like the OP you are making some assumptions with no facts whatsoever to back them up.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It does reflect the age of people interested in UO that obviously also have enough interest in UO to read stratics. I find it interesting that of the 81 'votes' cast so far only 4 of them are from people under 30. I would guess that most people who voted actually play UO, so am not as pedantic about whether or not the 'ask' is technically accurate or whatever. Just from conversations with people in game and a 'knowledge' of those players on my shard I would of been very suprised to find many under 30 so the above is pretty accurate so far. At least for the people on my shard. I gave up a LONG time ago expecting that UO would ever get in new players. There has been NO attempt to address diminishing numbers in any real way since at least 2005 or so. No worthwhile advertsing, no attempt to address long time issues (bugs etc) and some pretty poor attempts at 'new' systems which have totally stuffed up old systems. ie some of the changes to dungeons like 'despise' come to mind, the destruction of magincia and it's *cough* replacement, refinements (disaster), high seas (should be grind seas) etc. The majority of us still playing do so I think out of a sense of 'what you know' and 'habit' rather than anything else, not to mention the HUGE fact that due to the years invested most of us figure it too hard to go elsewhere and start over in something new, nor can we be bothered to be honest. We have become the MALGS - A new term I have just invented...... Middle Aged Lazy GamerS ............

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It does reflect the age of people interested in UO that obviously also have enough interest in UO to read stratics. I find it interesting that of the 81 'votes' cast so far only 4 of them are from people under 30. I would guess that most people who voted actually play UO, so am not as pedantic about whether or not the 'ask' is technically accurate or whatever. Just from conversations with people in game and a 'knowledge' of those players on my shard I would of been very suprised to find many under 30 so the above is pretty accurate so far. At least for the people on my shard. I gave up a LONG time ago expecting that UO would ever get in new players. There has been NO attempt to address diminishing numbers in any real way since at least 2005 or so. No worthwhile advertsing, no attempt to address long time issues (bugs etc) and some pretty poor attempts at 'new' systems which have totally stuffed up old systems. ie some of the changes to dungeons like 'despise' come to mind, the destruction of magincia and it's *cough* replacement, refinements (disaster), high seas (should be grind seas) etc. The majority of us still playing do so I think out of a sense of 'what you know' and 'habit' rather than anything else, not to mention the HUGE fact that due to the years invested most of us figure it too hard to go elsewhere and start over in something new, nor can we be bothered to be honest. We have become the MALGS - A new term I have just invented...... Middle Aged Lazy GamerS ............
I started alot new things: SWtOR, Lothro, STO, WoW. But I gave those games up after 2-5 months and always came back to UO. The reason? Those games are crap! And UO is a timeless masterpiece. Ah, I am 41 and playing Computergames since the 1980s. And the 80s and 90s where the times of true innovations. Like UO. Today everything is about graphics. I don't care about graphics... It's about gameplay ;)

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just turned 32. Been playing this game since high school. I remember finding out about UO in GamePro magazine (which is no longer being published), it advertised "a game with no ending." I didn't know what that meant back then but now I sure do.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thus far the poll reflects pretty much what I see in game. The vast majority of people I talk to in game are between 35-50 years old (48 myself) and have been playing 12+ years. While not scientific it is a decent sampling from a diverse and active group.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if it might be the gaming platform itself. Star Trek Online is expanding to the console gaming. DC Universe has also done this.

Last week I started using the EC. My kid walks by and says, "You and 2d games."

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder if it might be the gaming platform itself.
There is probably an element of that. And also the fact that other games are available via steam and UO is not. And a lot of games are F2P with micropayments so players can spend what they feel comfortable with in any given month. You can guarantee if UO went on Steam and was F2P there would be an influx of younger players.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have Steam. Doese EA have any games on Steam?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is probably an element of that. And also the fact that other games are available via steam and UO is not. And a lot of games are F2P with micropayments so players can spend what they feel comfortable with in any given month. You can guarantee if UO went on Steam and was F2P there would be an influx of younger players.
I really don't want an influx of younger F2P microtransaction gamers.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i would assume that any long term players that have been playing since Beta where probably like me 18-26 at the time.

so add 20 onto that and that should be where the majority of your players age should be 38-46.

im not adding younger players onto that cause i firmly believe this game is impossible to 'jump into' at this point. there is just too much stuff, too many systems.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah, it would surprise me if there were significant numbers of 25 and below. Most in that generation are short attention span, instant gratification type folks.. and as much as I love UO, it dang sure is not instant gratification.. and short attention span folks would run quickly lol.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think another issue with getting young people to play UO is the lack of other young people...

18 year olds want to play games and hang out with other 18 year olds, not 30-70 year olds. Think about it, when you were a kid wouldn't you have been uncomfortable if the only people to talk to were two and three times your age?

In the last 5 years, I can think of a grand total of 4 people under the age of 20 that I have met on Atlantic. 2 of those 4 people are gone now, and one barely ever logs in these days.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think another issue with getting young people to play UO is the lack of other young people...

18 year olds want to play games and hang out with other 18 year olds, not 30-70 year olds. Think about it, when you were a kid wouldn't you have been uncomfortable if the only people to talk to were two and three times your age?
Theres probably a lot of truth in this, but the younger players are out there and a vast majority are into PvP. Its easy to slate them and say they are all about the graphics these days but thats not entirely true ... Albion Online is a similar graphical style to UO, has a single server with open world PvP and GvG and there are droves of younger players enjoying it.

If UO was to create something that appealed to them then they would come. To do that you need bespoke, F2P shards with a pre AOS ruleset. A classic shard. UO in its current form isnt an attractive proposition to get into.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My account age is 70+ MONTHS, I assume the OP means months and not weeks or days since he didn't specify, I also assume he meant account age and not age of your main char?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My account age is 70+ MONTHS, I assume the OP means months and not weeks or days since he didn't specify, I also assume he meant account age and not age of your main char?
Are you serious? Assuming you are (which I find hard to believe), he means how old are YOU as a person. In years. Did you even read the thread?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What? where did you get that impression from? where does he say that?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah player age means like, 3 year vet reward, that's player age.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe he does mean years, that would explain why he missed out 0-9.