• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Heart's Song

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Recent months has shown nothing more than ill will and angry hatred. Hostilities, tensions and ruthless behavior from those who swear by virtues have brought a great deal of edginess to ones who had been peaceful. Were it not for a small glimmer of hope peeking through the profound darkness Yew may have fallen to the same fates that have brought down many mighty men and women.

The time of growth and renewal, many name spring, has poured forth its bounty on the lands. It has seen fit to grace the inhabitants with a promise of abundance. Wealth is seen in many ways, most recognize only that which gleams in the light of a candle’s warmth. The lesser known and often more precious gift is that of the love between kindred hearts.

The Baron and his newly betrothed Callista have brought a new energy to the lands of Yew that had been sorely missed. Their bold affections towards one another leave little doubt they are indeed a handsome match. It was a matter of time when an announcement would be made of their engagement to wed. In truth, none was surprised, but all were thrilled for them.

For Izznet the announcement was a quiet reminder of how precious the beating of a heart in concert with another truly is. She was not as open with showing affections in public, and neither was Aedon, but she knew beyond any shadow of doubt who she loved.

All the threats, tortures and imprisonments dimmed to a fine thin mist when he smiled. He showed her that regardless of her nature she was worthy of his affections. That made all the difference in her dark core. A glimmer of fire and light had burned away the darkness of her loneliness.

The wedding of Arkon and Callista would be a glorious event and a spectacular boon to Yew. The addition of several new citizens who had become friends and allies grew the energy and strength to heady levels. But for Izznet the deepest heart song was the look of love on Aedon’s face when he looked at her and asked her to be a part of Aerlinnbar.

She found herself “puttering” around the house, barefoot and sleeves rolled up past her elbows. When she glanced at the obsidian mirror at the ShadowMoore she could not help but laugh at herself. All the teasing she had given Aedon had come full circle. A bit of dust on her face made the puttering picture complete. A soft release of air to her true reflection, for the first time in generations, made her smile instead of cringe. The heartbeat deep in her chest sang the harmony of one she loved and that was all she needed.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The song of the heart burst through the darkness of those who sought to do harm and bring torment. Hope of love and new beginning could not be undone by the few petty irritants that insisted on their incessant games. In truth, the light that shone burned brighter when forced to dark corners. Bonds that promised to be stronger, tested by time and circumstance, took the bitter taste of betrayal turning it to the sweet nectar of new friendships.

After all was said and done, the simple request offered to bind hand to hand made all the battle frenzy fade to nothing. His surprise shook her to the core and flooded her heart and mind with a joy that rendered her speechless. She was happy to be welcomed to share his life’s journey, but what he gave her was far more than she had ever thought possible.

Not since her Sire had she been given a gift so profound. Gazing into his eyes made the pain of centuries vanish. She was given a youth that had been stolen, a chance to love with abandon. Regardless of age, she was a young maiden innocent and pure in the light of the one who loved her.

My hand in your hand

My heart to your heart

My soul to your soul

Let it be said, we walk the path together.

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Could I possibly be part of the ‘chosen’?”

The question lingered in the air like a thick smoke. There is an element of those who would balk at the idea of seeking redemption. Were it their decision to make perhaps it would be important to seek their opinion, however, they held no sway in the life of Izznet. They simply did not matter. The one voice that Did matter was that of the Watcher.

“You worry too much over things that need no such attention.”

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“My little friend, you know too well what I mean.”

The large gargoyle towered over Izznet giving a silly stony grin as she pat the Drow’s head. Had there been given even a hint of proper etiquette Avalon would have scooped her charge into her arms and swung her around in a mountain-type hug.

Stepping back to avoid the bone crushing embrace, Izznet stood with hands on her hips surrounded in a look of resolve.

“There is nothing left for me, Avalon. Should I return, I will not be the same as when I left.”

“Oh, I am fully aware. You will still require me. I will always be the Watcher. Who knows, maybe you will require the services of the clinic more often then too,” she said with a gravel rumbling chuckle.

“You are horrible!”

“I know! It is why you keep me. I am entertainment.”

“So another matter, what think thee of the hand binding?”

“I think I would love to see you happy. The curse that hovers you for so long has taken that bit of you. Even when he is difficult, there is still a smile that shadows your face. That is what I wish for you.”

“Then I suppose I need to finish preparations. There seems quite a bit of work to do.”

Avalon leaned down to whisper loudly, doing a horrible job at hiding the teasing smirk on her face.

“Maybe telling Aedon my approval would be a good thing.”

“You knew all along!”

“Of course I did. I am the Watcher.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It always seems as though just as I get one project done, five others crop up demanding my attention. I cannot help but wonder if they are really important matters, or if I am just stalling for time. I have made these preparations many times in the past, and each time I seem to find more and more things to do.

A part of me has always feared the voyage even though I have made it countless times. I suppose the fact that Izzy is talking about joining me causes me some fear. I believe with all my heart that she will safely pass through the barrier. But I cannot help but be concerned about what would happen to her should she be turned away.

She has spoken to Avalon about what is to come, and the watcher seems to support her decision. She even joked that perhaps Izznet will need the services of the Clinic a bit more on her return. Izzy smiles as she sets her affairs in order, and speaks of the trip with a degree of anticipation. But I am sure that on some level she is as frightened of a bad outcome as I am.

I have the Rest in order, and John has been hard at work on the chapel and courthouse. Llyr says the buildings are both sound, and should serve Yew for some time to come.

Izznet has been working hard planning the ceremony. She has asked if it could be held in Yew at the chapel. She said she wants something special that salutes the elements. After all, they will be playing a huge part in what is to come for her and me. I of course said yes, not only because Yew is dear to me, but more so because there are few things I would refuse her.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Avalon, why are you looking at me like that? Am I doing something you disapprove?”

“You did, by not doing. I think you know well of what I speak.”

“What? I don’t know what…”

“You have not fed. Really fed. How long?”

“I feed. I take what is sufficient. I do not want there to be anything which stands in the way of my admittance. I cannot let this fail, Avalon.”

“I understand your concern, but you are being foolish. You require full strength.”

“I cannot have both ways. It is part of the choice, and the sacrifice.”

“Very well, I may have something to assist,” she said with a heavy sigh.

The simple remedy was more of common sense to the Watcher, but one inclined to take life was novel. Sitting on the exam table at the clinic Izznet had to chuckle at the vision of things to come. The smile that crawled across her lips was genuine and infectious. Avalon could not help but share the anticipation of a new beginning.

“I wonder, what will I look like in a mirror?”

Avalon took her Charge’s face in both her hands cradling her as a child. The deep purple eyes gazed at Izznet with the love of a mother.

“You will look beautiful.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything is in readiness. All loose ends have been tied up, and those needing to oversee the houses while we are away, know What to do, and which cats are most likely to scratch them when carried their food. The house is quiet right now. Within as the lines go, not a creature is stirring. Not even Sherry the Mouse. Izzy advised me to get some rest, knowing that dawn will be here swiftly, and that I am prone to whiling away the darkness on the steps of Connemara.

I have spoken to Nemira and she will be here in the gloaming, when shadows are deep against the banks. As in the past, she will fly before the tide, pulling my craft across the miles with the speed of the wind. Izzy will not see her, but only feel a strong gale blowing steadily across the deck of the ship. Nemira has accompanied me on this journey many times over the passing of the long years. And other than that time she deliberately pulled me ashore on that monkey island, I have always arrived at my destination safely and in a timely manner.

The trip there does not concern me. I am confident that once we reach the barrier, the tide, and all aboard will glide safely through. It is the way back which has me a bit worried. Nemira says that a spell of sleep will be cast. In this way Izzy will not suffer what must come. She asked if there would be much pain, and in truth I cannot answer that. She and I are of a different make. For me the journey is as natural as any migratory creature returning to their point of origin to renew life.

Izzy has an affliction for which there is no known cure save the peace of eternal rest, and the grave. What she may, or may not feel is not mine to tell. I will watch her closely and be ready to do what I must should she suffer, and to tend to my task upon our return.

She wants to walk in the sunshine. To taste apples and fresh baked cookies. To laugh, feel and breathe once more. And for this, she is willing to risk all. How could I not try to get for her these few small things? That which most of us take for granted.

All the clothing and provisions are stowed on the ship already. There are but a few more items I must sneak aboard during the long night. And then, with the evening’s tide, we will leave the safety of Emerald Point and turn our craft into the west, riding on a high wind to a new and brighter day.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Gazing into the mirror Izznet smiled at her reflection. It was the first time in longer than she could remember where she was able to see into a reflective glass mirror. The obsidian ‘mirror’ she had used before would show her the horror of her true form. The vanity glass showed her the dark face of one who smiled at a new day.

Dressing and donning proper attire Izznet wandered outside to see the forest. Her desire was to gaze into the living elements that surrounded her and experience them with all her reborn senses. In some ways she felt as a child, but her adult body and mind smiled at the ability to know and understand what she was experiencing.

Soft rhythmic whooshing beats sounded like soft whispers in her ears. As she walked the pace quickened. Each step moved in concert with the beat of her heart and the rise and fall of breath in lungs.

Taking as many familiar paths as possible a smile breached her lips. As she meandered through the forest trees and underbrush reach to her and grabbed at her feet and legs. Vines and branches cut her skin and for the first time in generations she was keenly aware of irritant pains of the tiny slices. Looking down at her legs she chuckled to herself as she tried in vain to heal her legs.

Considering the damage and knowing full well it would remain until it healed on its own terms, she decided to pick up her pace. There would be nothing lost with a good run. A brisk jog turned into a bit of a trot then into a full on run. She could hear the gentle whoosh pick up speed beating heavy in her ears.

As her breath caught in her throat she was forced to slow her pace. Her body was screaming at her, and she was compelled to listen. Lying on the ground in a small clearing she laughed out loud at the effort of catching her breath and slow her heart beat.

She knew Avalon and Aedon would likely be cross at her. They were both concerned with how the new experiences would treat her body, in truth so was she. As she lay in the soft grass she could feel a light coat of moisture on her skin. Smiling to herself she was delighted to realize the need for a bath.

As Kindred, she had always enjoyed the act of bathing. It was luxurious and elegant. Her new body longed to feel the warmth of the water and the silky embrace of fragrant oils. Her hope was that the simple experience would surround her in a fresh manner and not disappoint.

Walking to the bath house Izznet hired Hun’ep to give one of her famous massages after her long soak in the hot water. The strong agile fingers of the younger Drow forced Izznet’s muscles into a living submission. Body, mind and spirit relinquished all trace of effort and control to Hun’ep’s careful attention.

Several hours later Izznet woke to Avalon and Hun’ep standing over her concerned expressions on their faces. The slumber had been profound which had caused Hun’ep to worry. It was Avalon’s arrival that had stirred Izznet. Once the concern was passed a light chuckle was shared by all three. There would be an adjustment for all who knew Izznet, that was obvious.

Izznet had been warned to not over exert herself. There was still a great deal that was unfamiliar. She needed to learn how to walk among the living as one who was alive. It would present challenges that she would need to consider before rushing into things.

Deep in her heart, Avalon knew warnings of taking things slow would go unheard. There would be effort made to keep watch for Other dangers as well. When news of her rebirth broke to the world at large, there would likely be heavy repercussions.

“What is life without a bit of mystery and danger?”

Izznet’s query rang in Avalon’s ears. The hope was that life would linger without too much danger, and that mystery would be full of fanciful beauty. Hope springs eternal.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The familiar burn of the BaleFire had been replaced by a sweet tingle of life as Izznet walked barefoot around the hallowed ground. She remembered trying to approach only to be greeted with an angry burn from the pure flame. It recognized her yet instead of wanting her away, it welcomed her with the glory of new life.

Each day brought new feelings and experiences. The discoveries that continued to pour forth at her feet delighted her beyond compare. She would catch herself laughing out loud at small things, then laugh some more that she was laughing at herself laughing. The fact she was jubilant had been her biggest surprise. She had no idea how joyous life was.

Returning to her home Marian stumbled in on her trying on a formal dress. Izznet was in front of the floor mirror admiring her image in the reflection. The gown was long and flowing of white silk. The cloak she wore with it was red velvet.

“Well now, aint you a vision!”

The exclamation made Izznet jump and giggle at the same time. Twirling around making the dress puff out brought smiles and giggles from both women.

“So, whats the purty occasion for all that fancy?”

“I was asked for a handfasting.”

The simple statement brought a soft smile to Izznet’s face as she considered it. For centuries she had gone believing she would never be worthy of someone else’s love or devotion of such a commitment. When it was postponed she was certain it would be dropped for good.

Upon their return from the trip he had asked again about it. She had been stumped for an answer, not that she no longer desired it, but because she thought he had lost faith in her. She was a different person and she feared he would not be in love with her the same. Perhaps the love was different, but it was nothing less potent, and in some ways they had drawn closer.

There was still much to relearn in this new life. There were so many things to see and experience anew. But the biggest question at hand was would he want Autumn Equinox or Winter Solstice ceremony?