• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Necromancy] what's the best suit of armor for a necro Mage

C

cutaway2

what is the best suit of armor for a necro mage, including jewelery and talisman thanks..

R

RichDC

Well thats easy lol!!!

Perfect would be:

All 70's 2/6 casting 45%lmc 100%lrc 65%dci 12mr 18Hpr, At least 15%SDI Intelligence bonus as much as you can. Costs an F of a lot!!!

Orny of Magi,
Crystaline ring (or some other uber ring)
Totem of void.
Other artys thrown in there (hat of magi AOF RBC)

Its really all personal how you want to play it

R

RichDC

The 65%dci is simply for PvP not needed for PvM,

45%lower mana cost...is kinda self explanitory.

12 Mana Regen...ditto.

as a mage you need as much available as often as possible these all help (and there the caps)

T

Turdnugget

40% LMC Is the cap isn't it?

Mana regen is nice to get that mana back... however if you're in wraith form withering it comes back all the time =) unless we're talking PvP then the MR is more important.

65% DCI is for PvP. As when you get hit by HLD you're still at your DCI cap and dexers therefore, hate you.

R

RichDC

you are correct 40%LMC then :p

Mana regen is also important (im guessing this is a spawn char) for when your doing arachnid spawns as they give no mana as a leech. (nor does 2nd level cold blood)

C

cutaway2

Thanks guys for all your help, I've been away for quiet awhile, and am trying to get caught up

A

Arch Magus

Except for the Ornament of the Magician, you can put a suit together fairly easily.
Start like this..
join a faction for the Rank 1 gear to make things easier.

Jewlery:
Ornament
0/3 ring with 10 LRC

Armor:
Staff of the Magi
Necro talisman +5 necro, +10 spirit speak
Kasa of the Rajin
Fey leggings
Rune Beetle carapace
Pendant of the magi

look for valorite crafted arms, hiro sode with 20 LRC, physical fire and poison resists.
look for barbed gloves, 20 LRC physical fire and poison resists.
the LRC on these pieces can vary, depending on what kind of ring you have available.

I use the talisman so I can fit 40 focus on my template. my own preference, it helps with stamina regen a lot. no more walking when getting dumped on =).

C

Chaosy

The 65%dci is simply for PvP not needed for PvM,

45%lower mana cost...is kinda self explanitory.

12 Mana Regen...ditto.

as a mage you need as much available as often as possible these all help (and there the caps)
I only asked because:

1) As pointed out previously, 40% is the LMC cap.

2) There is no MR cap. In my experience, if you have 100-120 med, you start seeing a huge drop in the effectiveness of MR items past 8 due to diminishing returns

3) 65 DCI does not take you to the DCI cap even if you are hit by HLD. HLD is -25 DCI, so you would need 70 if this were for PvP. For PvM, 45 would be fine.

G

GFY

There are many different ways to go about it but you'll want these mods at least;

40 LMC
60 in all resist. Because if you get curse spell on ya (and you do alot in pvm and pvp) all your resist are dropped to 60 anyway.
2/6 faster casting and recovery. Unless you always use protection then 0/6 is easier to find with some nice mods.
100 LRC unless you want to have to worry about regs.
45 dci to help protect you from physical damage.

You can use runic pieces to complete a suit like this or combine some artifacts with runic pieces to get the mods you need.

The artie I really can't get by with out is the Rune beetle Carapice.

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

Except for the Ornament of the Magician, you can put a suit together fairly easily.
Start like this..
join a faction for the Rank 1 gear to make things easier.

Jewlery:
Ornament
0/3 ring with 10 LRC

Armor:
Staff of the Magi
Necro talisman +5 necro, +10 spirit speak
Kasa of the Rajin
Fey leggings
Rune Beetle carapace
Pendant of the magi

look for valorite crafted arms, hiro sode with 20 LRC, physical fire and poison resists.
look for barbed gloves, 20 LRC physical fire and poison resists.
the LRC on these pieces can vary, depending on what kind of ring you have available.

I use the talisman so I can fit 40 focus on my template. my own preference, it helps with stamina regen a lot. no more walking when getting dumped on =).
I'm assuming that the Staff is for defensive purposes?

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

Here's what I currently have, but keep in mind I'm not quite done or satisfied with it;

Jewlery:
Ori
Ring 1/2 10%SDI

Armor;
HoM - Switch out with Brightsight dependent upon situation
RBC - May switch with AoF
SoI
QoI
PotM
MB
TotV
Spell Book w/ 10%DCI, 30%SDI, 2FCR, 10%LMC
Runic Legs & Gloves

This give me the following;
LMC - 55%
DCI - 30%
SDI - 65%
MR 11
MI 28
HPR 3
FC/FCR - 3/7
LRC - 100%

Obviously I'm over the cap on some things and others where I could use some improvement; I do a little of PVE & PVP, so i change things out to adapt. Still trying to perfect it though.

A

Arch Magus

Here's what I currently have, but keep in mind I'm not quite done or satisfied with it;

Jewlery:
Ori
Ring 1/2 10%SDI

Armor;
HoM - Switch out with Brightsight dependent upon situation
RBC - May switch with AoF
SoI
QoI
PotM
MB
TotV
Spell Book w/ 10%DCI, 30%SDI, 2FCR, 10%LMC
Runic Legs & Gloves

This give me the following;
LMC - 55%
DCI - 30%
SDI - 65%
MR 11
MI 28
HPR 3
FC/FCR - 3/7
LRC - 100%

Obviously I'm over the cap on some things and others where I could use some improvement; I do a little of PVE & PVP, so i change things out to adapt. Still trying to perfect it though.
Nice arty suit if I must say.

The only difference really between a pvm and pvp suit is Defense chance inc, Spell damage and resists.

Pvm'ers mainly need to get as much spell damage as possible since it has no cap. resist can be mid-range50's to 60's.

pvp'ers only need 15% sdi in items since that's that pvp cap. DCI is much more important, at least 40+ if you are going to survive against an archer or dexer. having high resists is also a huge plus.

Your suit looks great though. I bet you could really make a Baracoon in despise look silly. ^^

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

Yes, your Magery will act as your defense.
Cool. I hate to take this thread off point, but a quick question for you Arch. With the disarm specials, can you still requip right away or is there a timer before you can do so? The reason I ask is I currently have 115 wrestle, but if requip is fast enough, I could drop it and add something else.

A

Arch Magus

Cool. I hate to take this thread off point, but a quick question for you Arch. With the disarm specials, can you still requip right away or is there a timer before you can do so? The reason I ask is I currently have 115 wrestle, but if requip is fast enough, I could drop it and add something else.
Depends on the template.

My necro mage has to wear a mage weapon, there's no room for wrestling. When you get disarmed, there's like a 5 second timer before you can Equip Last Wep. This is where you run away, always, lol.

the upside to the mage weapon, you can fit another skill on besides wrestle. perfect for mage/eval/resist/med/necro/ss.

the upside to wrestling though, you can wear spellbooks and shields without giving up any defense, and you can use disarm/para blow.

what's your template?

In addition, there's a new preferred Necro gear setup.....one handed mage weapons, spell channeling with defense chance increase. pair that with a ring that gives +magery and you have the perfect necromage, pot chuggin, shield wearing badass.

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

This is the temp I currently have;

Mage - 115
Eval - 115
Med - 100
Resist - 100
Wrestle - 115
Necro - 100
SS - 100

This is total including items.

A

Arch Magus

That's actually a pretty sweet setup.

I opted to go closer to the 6x120 route.
120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 ss
115 necro
100 med
40 focus

It would be awesome to have Wrestling on there to get the use of spellbooks and a shield, that's the one thing I really miss. For the books that I do need to hold, I just make sure I don't get too close to anything that wants to melee me.

I do fine without it though, this guy is mainly for withering spawn and killing players. He serves his purpose well enough. :D

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

I like that setup, especially the focus. I'm assuming here again that it's to help with stam loss from mage dumps :D

What shard do you play on Arch?

C

cutaway2

Currently this is my temp and set-up any suggestions?

Magery 120 (Base)
EI 110 (Base)
MR 110 (Base)
Necro 110 (Base)
SS 102 (Base)
Med 84.2 (Base)

Str 125 (Base)
Dex 40 (Base) 45 W/Arties
Int 90 (Base) 108 W/ Arties

And Currently my suit consist of..
Hat of Magi
Pendant of Mage
Crystalline Ring (Which I'm not 100% sure if I need since I'm already capped on my magery but the SDI and MR is nice)
Orni of the Mag.
Scrappers Comp.
Totem of the Void
Leggings of Embers ( Yea I know, but they do have good defensive, but nothing else)
Rune Beetle Carapace
Crimson Cinture
Still hunting for better pieces for arms and loves and def. for legs, and Gloves
This gives me these stats
Phy. 42
Fire 60
Cold 55
Poison 70
Elect. 70

FC=3 FCR=4 ( I still need to cap FCR)
LMC= 63% (Overkill on cap)
SDI= 60%
MR= 13 (I think that's capped)
LRC= 49% (Arggghhh)
HPR= 9

Thanks again for all your guys help, you've been more than helpful in helping me out
The best way to learn is to ask people that know more than you lol

¥

¥§hàdòw¥

Magery 120 (Base)
EI 110 (Base)
MR 110 (Base)
Necro 110 (Base)
SS 102 (Base)
Med 84.2 (Base)

Str 125 (Base)

Hat of Magi
Pendant of Mage
Crystalline Ring (Which I'm not 100% sure if I need since I'm already capped on my magery but the SDI and MR is nice)
Orni of the Mag.
Scrappers Comp.
Totem of the Void
Leggings of Embers ( Yea I know, but they do have good defensive, but nothing else)
Rune Beetle Carapace
Crimson Cinture
Still hunting for better pieces for arms and loves and def. for legs, and Gloves
Phy. 42
Fire 60
Cold 55
Poison 70
Elect. 70

SDI= 60%
LRC= 49% (Arggghhh)
HPR= 9

Thanks again for all your guys help, you've been more than helpful in helping me out
While definitely not the most knowledgeable, I do have a couple of suggestions.

First though, is this for PVE or PVP? I ask because, for me anyway, it will effect what equipment I carry. For PVE I tend to go as high as possible with SDI, MR and Int pluses. Don't really care about resists, as long as they are 50-60ish.

PVP on the other hand, I would care more about DCI and resists, then MR, LMC and finally SDI. You might also want to think of getting the Staff of the Magi, since you don't have wrestle. Please keep in mind, I haven't done any serious PVP for a few years, so this might be faulty info for PVP. GFY and Arch Magus could probably give better tips on that one.

C

Chaosy

Magery 120 (Base)
EI 110 (Base)
MR 110 (Base)
Necro 110 (Base)
SS 102 (Base)
Med 84.2 (Base)

Str 125 (Base)

Hat of Magi
Pendant of Mage
Orni of the Mag.
Scrappers Comp.
Totem of the Void
Rune Beetle Carapace
Crimson Cinture
Phy. 42
Fire 60
Cold 55
Poison 70
Elect. 70

SDI= 60%
LRC= 49% (Arggghhh)
HPR= 9

If this suit is for PvP, the easiest way to make a necro mage suit is with:

Folded Steel Glasses
Armor of Fortune
Orny
Crystalline
Inquisitor's Resolution

Find a crafted gorget, arms, and legs with some physical, high fire, some cold, and high poison with lmc/lrc/mr to fill out the mods. You'll need a mage weapon with dci as well (if you want to chug you'll need a no pen, if you don't mind then you can have a -1 fc and use an arcane shield). I would just keep it simple and take all your skills to 120 when you can.

If this is for PvM, then you would at least want to take Eval to 120, since it's your base spell damage. You would, of course, want to max out your spell damage and worry less about DCI (and resists, depending on how you play).

A good suit would involve:

Hat of the Magi
Pendant of the Magi
Crystalline Ring
Scrapper's (Keep in mind if something gets close to melee range, they're always going to hit you since you have no weapon skill. Alternatively you can drop necro and ss for wrestling/inscription, which will give you even more spell damage)
1/2 Chaos Museum Shield
Orny

The idea is to max out your spell damage increase, lmc, and mr. You could fit in Fey Legs if you're worried about the DCI, but that means you'd have to find some REALLY nice arms, gloves, and a tunic.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Also, I think you can afford to drop str and dex for more int. Always, always try to have 125 base int on your mages simply for the sdi bonus it gives as well as mana. Dex is not really going to help you with much for your template.

A

Arch Magus

I like that setup, especially the focus. I'm assuming here again that it's to help with stam loss from mage dumps :D

What shard do you play on Arch?
Im on Chessy. If you'r ejust getting back in the game you should make a mage there.:D

R

rwek

IF you're doing this for PVM, i really don't like a book with any needed mods. You will want super slayer spell books.

If you have FC2 on a book and swap it, all your slayers will need it...hard to get. Same for LRC on a book.

I don't like 115 wrestling. 120 or nothing. If this is pvp, you're going to be up against people with really good gear. Don't gimp yourself.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on the template.

My necro mage has to wear a mage weapon, there's no room for wrestling. When you get disarmed, there's like a 5 second timer before you can Equip Last Wep. This is where you run away, always, lol.

the upside to the mage weapon, you can fit another skill on besides wrestle. perfect for mage/eval/resist/med/necro/ss.

the upside to wrestling though, you can wear spellbooks and shields without giving up any defense, and you can use disarm/para blow.

what's your template?

In addition, there's a new preferred Necro gear setup.....one handed mage weapons, spell channeling with defense chance increase. pair that with a ring that gives +magery and you have the perfect necromage, pot chuggin, shield wearing badass.
For pvm you can probably get by with 120 eval and jack of all trade 20 anatomy defense along with 45 DCI.

With 120 eval + 20 anatomy from being human + 20 then divide by 2 you will get 80 weapon skill defensive wise.

At times where the percentages take at HDI and SDI would that be from the hit damage of the item?
And then the SSI and Hit Chance would be seperate more narrowly relate to the PV (users') skill.
Kinetic and Fire Eater still have a useful impact of stopping damage outright.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At times where the percentages take at HDI and SDI would that be from the hit damage of the item?
And then the SSI and Hit Chance would be seperate more narrowly relate to the PV (users') skill.
Kinetic and Fire Eater still have a useful impact of stopping damage outright.
You realize the last post before you in this thread was 7+ year ago right?:facepalm:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You realize the last post before you in this thread was 7+ year ago right?:facepalm:
I was reading the artis they were talking about in the suit and was thnking... wow, they don't seem to know much LOL... how things change in a few years :D