• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet logging exploitations fix?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently there are 2 expoits for pet logging and this has gone on for a while, when will it be fixed?

Main Exploit 1: Ability to pull a pet out of the stables, then go to an area where pet summoning is not allowed then log out and back in and you have summoned your pet in a no summoning area.

Exploit 2: Ability to log a pet out during combat, even if the player is dead himself, so a player can tell their pet to attack another player/monster, then log out at the owner's whim with 0 risk to the pet.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Main Exploit 1: Ability to pull a pet out of the stables, then go to an area where pet summoning is not allowed then log out and back in and you have summoned your pet in a no summoning area.
Not sure why this angers you so much to an extend you want tamers penalized just for being tamers, Pets is the main part of being a tamer, and while tamers accept the fact they need a pet to care for, I think its unreasonable to fix this "exploit", I would rather follow Merus' suggestion and allow pet summon balls to be used more places.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
How is this an exploit? This has been in the game for as long as I can remember, if memory serves me correctly, since Hanse.

Exploit 2: Ability to log a pet out during combat, even if the player is dead himself, so a player can tell their pet to attack another player/monster, then log out at the owner's whim with 0 risk to the pet.
Solution: give the pet a special pvp tag so it cannot be logged out. That way after you pvp a tamer, you can then pve the pet. Best of both worlds. Well, except for the loot.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is this an exploit? This has been in the game for as long as I can remember, if memory serves me correctly, since Hanse.
Correct. I remember when it was first added. I thought it was the best thing ever. It's been the same way since it was added, so not an exploit.

Solution: give the pet a special pvp tag so it cannot be logged out. That way after you pvp a tamer, you can then pve the pet. Best of both worlds. Well, except for the loot.
ehh. Would be fine if you're fighting a tamer, but most people don't pvp on tamers. Leave it as is...although I'm sure there'd be a way to differentiate it based on whether or not the pet takes taming/lore to control.

Agreed with Merus's suggestion about pet balls being usable in more places. It's a total pain in the ass having to walk EVERYWHERE in Ilshenar (And Eodon) with a greater dragon in tow. Travel time would be cut drastically if we had the ability to use a Pet Ball.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
duping has also gone on for a while, shall we keep that the way it is too?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
duping has also gone on for a while, shall we keep that the way it is too?
Duping wasn't intentionally put in by the developers. The pet auto-stable when logging out was.

Honestly, WHY should it be a thing? As I've already said, most people do not pvp on tamers - the ones that do have pets that can actually do damage, and I'd probably be fine with it. vvv war horses, swamp dragons, etc aren't meant to be used for fighting, and should not be subject to a "pvp flagging timer" just because the person controlling it is flagged in combat.

belkins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i remember when they added this feature.. as a tamer i love it.. has saved my precious animals several times.

before this was added.. if you did not have your pet on a pet ball you could risk loosing your pet. ie you die and all the sudden your pet starts wondering off on its own and by the time you get back to your body your pet is gone and no where in sight and no way to retrieve it or find it. or your pet gets stuck in a spot and you can't get it unstuck without a pet ball or calling gm. or a pk you are attacking runs off with your pet in chase only to find you cant keep up and they run your pet half way across sosaria and kill it or lock it in there house and then you can't find it or retrieve it.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Would be fine if you're fighting a tamer, but most people don't pvp on tamers. Leave it as is...although I'm sure there'd be a way to differentiate it based on whether or not the pet takes taming/lore to control.
I am aligned with your thinking on this. The suggestion is that if it is actually an issue in pvp, then there is an easy fix (hardy har har). I have not seriously PvPd since pre-cast, order/chaos, and the first introduction of factions (Brit all the way!).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i remember when they added this feature.. as a tamer i love it.. has saved my precious animals several times.

before this was added.. if you did not have your pet on a pet ball you could risk loosing your pet. ie you die and all the sudden your pet starts wondering off on its own and by the time you get back to your body your pet is gone and no where in sight and no way to retrieve it or find it. or your pet gets stuck in a spot and you can't get it unstuck without a pet ball or calling gm. or a pk you are attacking runs off with your pet in chase only to find you cant keep up and they run your pet half way across sosaria and kill it or lock it in there house and then you can't find it or retrieve it.
THIS is the reason it is the way it is... Because your beloved friend is hard to get back when people do things that take them from you or the game is crazy... I recall being extremely upset one night when my internet went down while I had been with my 7xWW in Mistas... killing Juka... I was so scared that by the time I could get back in he would have gone wild and died. I haven't had to worry of that for a long time now.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Currently there are 2 expoits for pet logging and this has gone on for a while, when will it be fixed?

These are not exploits as the were intentionally put into the game to prevent Tamers from losing their pet from connection loss and pets wandering off and becoming unretrievable. Until those two problems have a different permanent fix than these are the DEVs answer to a permanent fix so Tames do not lose their pets.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct. I remember when it was first added. I thought it was the best thing ever. It's been the same way since it was added, so not an exploit
It isn't really an exploit but it is definitely not an intended feature for you to be able to summon a pet in an area where is is not allowed.

Don't get me wrong, I use it all the time because it has become part of the game. But lets not kid ourselves that this is how it is supposed to be.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It isn't really an exploit but it is definitely not an intended feature for you to be able to summon a pet in an area where is is not allowed.

Don't get me wrong, I use it all the time because it has become part of the game. But lets not kid ourselves that this is how it is supposed to be.
I know not of this thing but what am I but a poor Trammie who doesn't try to abuse the rules? What areas can a pet be summoned by logout that isn't allowed?

Mad Mim

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'Exploit 2: Ability to log a pet out during combat, even if the player is dead himself, so a player can tell their pet to attack another player/monster, then log out at the owner's whim with 0 risk to the pet.'

I'm confused about this one, .....if the owner is dead, the animal can't 'hear' them. Another player can not tell the animal to attack someone, even if friend to the pet. Only way possible that it would attack is if it's on guard, and the opposing attacked it.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#1. Assuming I am getting the OP's meaning correctly... If pets are not allowed in a certain area, and someone is using a means unintended by game mechanics to bring pets into an area where pets are not allowed, wouldn't that be considered an exploit?

#2. I have never really liked that you could kill a tamer, but not kill the pet because the tamer logs out and instantly takes the pet with them. I am not sure how they are directing the pet to attack another player while dead unless the pet was friended to a teammate and the teammate is commanding the pet. I agree that the pet needs to be flagged for two minutes if an aggressor in combat to give the defender an a chance to kill the pet.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#1. Assuming I am getting the OP's meaning correctly... If pets are not allowed in a certain area, and someone is using a means unintended by game mechanics to bring pets into an area where pets are not allowed, wouldn't that be considered an exploit?

#2. I have never really liked that you could kill a tamer, but not kill the pet because the tamer logs out and instantly takes the pet with them. I am not sure how they are directing the pet to attack another player while dead unless the pet was friended to a teammate and the teammate is commanding the pet. I agree that the pet needs to be flagged for two minutes if an aggressor in combat to give the defender an a chance to kill the pet.
#1 There's areas where pet balls don't work but pets are allowed. I use this method in pvm all the time exploit or not. It's just easier and faster. But if they would fix pet balls that would solve this issue completely.

#2And if the game cannot tell the difference between a V3 horse and a tamed pet then all pvpers will be punished into endless grinding for essence of courage or new horses since ours would be flagged. I'm not happy about or willing to put in extra grinding so a handful of "pvpers" can have their moment pvming with the very few tamers that even do pvp.

To me, these both are petty issues and there's other areas of the game that need attention more than this.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#1 There's areas where pet balls don't work but pets are allowed. I use this method in pvm all the time exploit or not. It's just easier and faster. But if they would fix pet balls that would solve this issue completely.

#2And if the game cannot tell the difference between a V3 horse and a tamed pet then all pvpers will be punished into endless grinding for essence of courage or new horses since ours would be flagged. I'm not happy about or willing to put in extra grinding so a handful of "pvpers" can have their moment pvming with the very few tamers that even do pvp.

To me, these both are petty issues and there's other areas of the game that need attention more than this.
Fair enough on point # 1. I was thinking more of area's like Ararat where pets are physically not allowed to enter.

On your point #2. Perhaps you are underestimating the amount of tamers and their factor in pvp. I don't have a problem with you keeping your horse although the argument seems kind of petty since bonded horses could be rezzed immediately and a regular horse costs 500gold and is readily available at anytime, however it is most unfair for a tamer with a high end dreadmare or beettle being able to 3 shot kill you in 2 seconds but to then get put on the defensive and die and be able to simply log to keep their pets and be rezzed up and ready to go in 30 seconds. If the tamer is going to agro another player then their pets should be fair game for killing for a predetermined amount of time. This has nothing to do with having one's "day in the sun."

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On your point #2. Perhaps you are underestimating the amount of tamers and their factor in pvp. I don't have a problem with you keeping your horse although the argument seems kind of petty since bonded horses could be rezzed immediately and a regular horse costs 500gold and is readily available at anytime, however it is most unfair for a tamer with a high end dreadmare or beettle being able to 3 shot kill you in 2 seconds but to then get put on the defensive and die and be able to simply log to keep their pets and be rezzed up and ready to go in 30 seconds. If the tamer is going to agro another player then their pets should be fair game for killing for a predetermined amount of time. This has nothing to do with having one's "day in the sun."
I pvp on Atlantic and Chessy. I've seen 1-2 pvp tamers on at a time at best when I play.

You totally missed my point. The pvpers that aren't stealthers or tamers have a VvV horse. The change you suggest would agro the VvV horse. They lose battle readiness and vanish after 4-5 deaths which would make endless grinding just to keep a VvV mount. If said change goes through you're looking at every guild chaining towns which you put you somewhere between 20 minutes to 80 minutes of grinding to get enough points for a new horse.

I don't see this as a game changing event but I do see a change as absolutely game breaking. All your top tier pvpers would quit if they had to grind for a VvV horse every day.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I pvp on Atlantic and Chessy. I've seen 1-2 pvp tamers on at a time at best when I play.

You totally missed my point. The pvpers that aren't stealthers or tamers have a VvV horse. The change you suggest would agro the VvV horse. They lose battle readiness and vanish after 4-5 deaths which would make endless grinding just to keep a VvV mount. If said change goes through you're looking at every guild chaining towns which you put you somewhere between 20 minutes to 80 minutes of grinding to get enough points for a new horse.

I don't see this as a game changing event but I do see a change as absolutely game breaking. All your top tier pvpers would quit if they had to grind for a VvV horse every day.
No no, I got the point. I have not liked the battle readiness limitations with VvV horses since it's beginning. I am still on the fence however as to whether or not that would be a good or bad thing to implement a two minute timer (even on VvV horses) because it might actually bring people to those towns (to buy more horses) ... which is kinda the point.

I respect your argument that you don't want to grind VvV horses so long as you can respect mine that insta logging aggro'd pets in pvp is kinda lame. Anyways happy Easter.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Fair enough on point # 1. I was thinking more of area's like Ararat where pets are physically not allowed to enter.

For what it's worth, I tried to bring a dragon into Ararat. I "all stop, all stay'd" him at the edge of the dock. BUT, I couldn't even walk across the water while having him out of the stable.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nobody needs veterinary anymore as you can just use this exploit to prevent your pet from dieing.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Really

Really? Try using anything besides a GD. Bet you end up wishing you had vet :)
i rarely if ever use a GD and i have no problems.

i loath walking everywhere so i don't use them unless i absolutely have too.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been having internet troubles for months now and it went completely out this month. I was right in the middle of fighting with one of my full trained and old pets. I don't use insurance so I lost all my equipment and when I got my internet back 2 weeks later, I expected to be missing my pet too, but luckily there's the autostable feature which saved it. If I had lost it because the Devs had listened to you guys, I would be so extremely angry right now. Is recalling out of battle to save yourself an exploit? If not, just imagine these pets who when trained typically have intelligences far superior to player characters are recalling out. :D

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been having internet troubles for months now and it went completely out this month. I was right in the middle of fighting with one of my full trained and old pets. I don't use insurance so I lost all my equipment and when I got my internet back 2 weeks later, I expected to be missing my pet too, but luckily there's the autostable feature which saved it. If I had lost it because the Devs had listened to you guys, I would be so extremely angry right now. Is recalling out of battle to save yourself an exploit? If not, just imagine these pets who when trained typically have intelligences far superior to player characters are recalling out. :D
It's absolutely fine with me that the pet can be auto stabled when your char logs out, but i mean really logs out, as in, timed out for 5 mins so the pet gets stabled at the same time as your char dissapears.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
hey, I want to be able to bring my 10 tamers in and summon my 10 pets for boss at events when/where ever i need them lol. multi account/char users will love some of the wanted changes.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then I find it next to impossible to believe you pvm with a tamer very often at all.
What does it matter what template I, or anyone else plays? I found your dirty little exploit and exposed it.

I say your, as with a comment like that, i'm going to asume you also play a tamer and abuse it.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Second I die I log in\out. Good thing I can't remember the last time I died in pvm. You have insurance on your weapons and armor don't u? Did a miner log out before you killed his beetle? Is that what is upsetting you? :troll:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i rarely if ever use a GD and i have no problems.

i loath walking everywhere so i don't use them unless i absolutely have too.
Didn't say impossible. Besides you shouldn't count. You been taming since lord British was in high school :gee:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Second I die I log in\out. Good thing I can't remember the last time I died in pvm. You have insurance on your weapons and armor don't u? Did a miner log out before you killed his beetle? Is that what is upsetting you? :troll:
Nor do I; if I do, it's usually because I got surrounded by a bunch of rat mages and hell hounds. But that's not on my tamer (although that comes with a lot of pain on any of my mages...)

Depending on what I'm fighting in a pvm setting, I will log my pet if I end up dying - multiple greaters come to mind. If the ability to do this in pvm was removed, your pet would die because the masteries aren't usable if you're a ghost. Yeah, it'd be easy to regain the lost skill points, and it's not hard AT ALL to keep yourself from dying, but what exactly is the point in penalizing people for something that's existed for years? @Mervyn: Once again, this was INTENDED from the very introduction of auto-stabling, because it's too easy to lose pets without it. If I ended up not being able to locate my Greater because of its ghost wandering off while I was dead, I would be PISSED. I mean, I do have it linked to a pet ball, so I'd be able to retrieve it with ease, but what happens if you don't?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Aight, I would be ok with the "exploitation fix" if that's what we are deeming it.. only if the fixed the "bugged" pet ball and made it be able to be used everywhere in Trammel ruleset areas. Hey, if the log out is an exploit then the pet ball not working everywhere has to be a bug... right? ;)

So now you're saying Is that Poo is not only OLD but has lost most of his mental capacity :devil:
I thought this was common knowledge... why do ya think the dude needs so many spreadsheets :D