• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warrior Challenge (Aug 2014): Dreadhorn

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Actually I use provo pretty extensively. In guild hunts I run both provo masteries in support of the 'team'. In shadowguard roof I provo the things the bosses summon onto each other, getting them off my team mates. In the armory I use provo, disco and evs to solo the room. I also often use provo to direct my EVs where I want them to go instead of letting them roam at will.
I think you're really missing the point. Aside from relegating 240 points to 'supporting other people to get rights', in practice even the buffs from the Prov Mastery are only mildly useful at best for the healing factor, given that most dexxers already cap their HCI, DI and stats. Tieing up the spawn doesn't get you drops. Armory yields no rewards. You can easily Dispel and resummon.

(N/A meaning not applicable/nothing to Provoke, can't Provoke, or won't get you rights anyway.)
At Fel spawns, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Ilsh spawns, you CAN with enough patience kill a Champ at Valor if you bring over Greater Dragons/Parragon Greater Dragons. (a generous) +1
At Dreadhorn, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Travesty, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Shimmering, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Paroxysmus', Provoke is N/A. -1
At Grizzle, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Melisande, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Meraktus, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Navrey, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Medusa, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Stygian Dragon, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Slasher, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Doom Gauntlet, Provoke is valid and can get you rights in 1 out of 6 areas. -4
At Shadowguard, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Exodus, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Shadowlords, Provoke is N/A. -1
At Cora, Provoke is N/A. -1
At most EM events, Provoke is N/A. -1
At most globall events, Provoke is sometimes valid. 0

I'm sure I missed some but out of everything in the game that's worth killing for a reward Provoke currently can get you Replica's from Ilsh spawns and drops from Doom. Both of which are largely outdated in terms of usefulness/value.

I'm not saying it's not useful for some stuff, but compared to what pretty much any other class can do with 240 points it's a joke how consistently it goes overlooked.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess so :( My guild mates don't consider my bard masteries 'mildly useful', I'm very welcome on my bard, and I DO get drops, but then I don't use just provo, the character is a bard and uses disco and peace where appropriate as well as running the provo masteries.
It's quite funny when I cast invigorate and a chunk of red appears on every health bar in the party. Looks as if I've hit them all.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I decided to at least make a new set of weapons with 0 DI on them for when I bring my bard out and run the provo mastery. Need to work on a new set of jewelry too without HCI/DCI etc., too. Frees up quite a few slots.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I guess so :( My guild mates don't consider my bard masteries 'mildly useful', I'm very welcome on my bard, and I DO get drops, but then I don't use just provo, the character is a bard and uses disco and peace where appropriate as well as running the provo masteries.
It's quite funny when I cast invigorate and a chunk of red appears on every health bar in the party. Looks as if I've hit them all.
The only thing that will get you rights on a Bard is Discord/Tribulation which can't be done at the same time as using the Provoke Mastery. Given that the Provoke heal is every 4s for a maximum of 22 and the vast majority of things can only hit one person at a time you're better of casting Lesser Heal. Not that you'd need to as 99% of the game can be HLL/Vamp Form/Curse Weaponed. (In stark contrast to the 99% of the end game content where Provoke is entirely redundant.)

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I decided to at least make a new set of weapons with 0 DI on them for when I bring my bard out and run the provo mastery. Need to work on a new set of jewelry too without HCI/DCI etc., too. Frees up quite a few slots.
The Prov Mastery doesn't raise DCI.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's just say that bad is not a bad enough word to describe how bad discord works on Dreadhorn:

Normal:
View attachment 42404

Discoed:
View attachment 42405
I believe the higher strength, dexterity and intelligence in the discoed picture is due to Dreadhorn casting bless on itself. But yeah, discording Dread isn't doing pretty much anything at all.

@Kyronix Could you enlighten us on why this was done to poor bards? The test about the boss "shrugging off some of the effects of your discordance song" should be changed to "shrugging off most of the effects of your discordance song".
This... is rather pathetic. :|
What the hell? Was this changed recently? I don't think it was always that bad. Or was disco always placebo for me on peerless?

Therapist the mage

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I tested a 100% fire damage fey slayer double axe last night. My character has 120 swords, 115 anatomy, 115 tactics 100% damage increase. I honored dread horn and hit between 33-40 per strike when I maxed out damage bonus from honor. With level 3 swords mastery, onslaught would bring damage into 60s per strike. When I tested this same axe on a normal unicorn my damage was well over 120 damage per strike.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, it doesn't work.
Tried a 100% physical fey slayer longsword. Armour ignore was hitting for around 100, with 120 swords, tactics, anat and chiv.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well that's disappointing. At least Dreadhorn isn't hard to max damage against.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well that's disappointing. At least Dreadhorn isn't hard to max damage against.
Wasn't. He is now. They gave him 130 wrestling, all because he drops a level 1 or 2 primer now.
And disco does nothing to him either. :|

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wasn't. He is now. They gave him 130 wrestling, all because he drops a level 1 or 2 primer now.
And disco does nothing to him either. :|
Well ok that actually is really ****ty. God dammit UO.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well ok that actually is really ****ty. God dammit UO.
He's called a "Peerless". I doubt it was their intention for him to be solo-able in 2 minutes flat with maybe a 2% chance of death for you, but that's where we were prior to him getting a buff. I'm quite OK with them having buffed the peerless and Champs.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am pretty fine with them being buffed up too, but I just hope they fix disco on the ML peerless in the next pub.

Gorokar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I tested a 100% fire damage fey slayer double axe last night. My character has 120 swords, 115 anatomy, 115 tactics 100% damage increase. I honored dread horn and hit between 33-40 per strike when I maxed out damage bonus from honor. With level 3 swords mastery, onslaught would bring damage into 60s per strike. When I tested this same axe on a normal unicorn my damage was well over 120 damage per strike.
Yeah, it doesn't work.
Tried a 100% physical fey slayer longsword. Armour ignore was hitting for around 100, with 120 swords, tactics, anat and chiv.
Thanks for the info :)