• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cooking] Chocolate Nutcracker

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm sure the Chocolate Nutcracker will be a popular item (at least at first) since there is a chance of acquiring a collectible card with it.

According to the current cooking menu, a chef with 100 skill (and using no tokens) can expect the following success rates when making the different chocolates that can be crafted currently:

Dark Chocolate: 100% success rate / 100% chance for exceptional.

Milk Chocolate: 90% success rate / 45% chance for exceptional.

White Chocolate: 63.3% success rate / 18.3% chance for exceptional.

I'm wondering if the drop rate for the cards is likely to be affected in any way by the difficulty level in crafting the different chocolates. Would milk chocolate produce a card more often than dark, and white more often than the other two? Or would "exceptional" be the qualifier, if there is one? I'm looking forward to finding out.

Edit: Hmmm... perhaps, in my initial enthusiasm, I spoke too soon. With the lack of activity in this particular forum, combined with cooking having become a sidelined skill over the years, I doubt much attention would have been given to any extra coding for the card drops. It's probably the same chance, regardless of which kind of chocolate is crafted.

Last edited:

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing the card scenes, and I've planted up all my sugar cane, vanilla and cocoa tree seeds. The way the publish notes are worded it sounds like the selection of cards will be expanded at some point.

I do wish they'd add the ability to make flavored chocolates - there are a lot of ingredients already in-game that could be used. Coconut, rum and coffee are a few that spring to mind.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing the card scenes, and I've planted up all my sugar cane, vanilla and cocoa tree seeds. The way the publish notes are worded it sounds like the selection of cards will be expanded at some point.

I do wish they'd add the ability to make flavored chocolates - there are a lot of ingredients already in-game that could be used. Coconut, rum and coffee are a few that spring to mind.
Yes, I've been planting my seeds as well, and growing them the old-fashion way (in backpacks) since I have a tiny house now.

So much more could be done to make cooking viable. One can only wish....

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope they add chocolate bunnies for Easter. Or chocolate dragons, anytime!

The publish is out so I went back to the temple, and sure enough the vines are all gone and the vicious macaws and their nests are there. They won't attack unless they see you take the foil sheets you need to make the nutcrackers, so I'm stealthing around and picking foil up. One sheet spawns at a time in each nest, and they respawn fairly quickly. Each weighs one stone. They do stack and you can send the stacks to the bank with a bag of sending. When I pick up each sheet, it appears that 3 macaws spawn right in the nest where the foil was, then they fly off and around the temple area. The whole area is safe from the moongate to the temple (second building on your way out to the west from the moongate). I don't know how hard the birds are to fight, and I don't want to find out :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Summon an energy vortex, if you can, then stealth-pick the foil. Some of those birds have chocolate ingredients to supplement your growing efforts.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Magery isn't high enough, I need to make some scrolls. People are here fighting the birds with dragon turtles and rising colossuses, both look very effective.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They changed things with this hotfix so you can't pick up the foil...I can't steal it either but my stealing is very low. Ppl are saying it's loot now on the macaws?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
They changed things with this hotfix so you can't pick up the foil...I can't steal it either but my stealing is very low. Ppl are saying it's loot now on the macaws?
Yes, and I'm not exactly celebrating over the fix. I don't have fighters these days... am just in UO for the role-play. Was really looking forward to making the chocolates for other people, but since the foil is so hard to get now, that plan may have to be shelved. A friend told me that when you go for the foil the birds attack, and they are not easy to kill.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Since the fix , you can no longer just pick up the foil.
All you can do is "pull it", which spawns out 2 or 3 birds, which attack you. The foil and cooking ingred can be found in the corpses.
The birds don't attack you, unless you attack them or go for the foil!

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ended up using my tamer and cu sidhe + discording the macaws, that looks like the fastest way for me to get foil based on my available chars. I get my pet to guard me, mount up on an ethereal mount, pull at a piece of foil to make the macaws spawn then immediately RUN to the east. The macaws chase and try to attack. Once I'm a screen away from them I drink an invisibility potion, that kicks in just as they get to me and they stop attacking, then I discord one and use my pet to kill it. The other two birds will fly off but you can hunt those down afterwards. Most (~2/3rds?) macaws have something chocolate-related as part of their loot - foil, vanilla, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor or sugar. My luck was 0 btw, I'll try a luck suit next and see if that gets me more foil/chocolate drops.

I saw people using Rising Colossus on them, and I'd tried the Energy Vortexes that Petra suggested and they can kill the birds, although I needed about 6, as I recall, to kill one macaw using a char with no discord. You can use scrolls to cast these if your magery is low. I'm not thrilled with the changes but since the area is pretty safe (watch out for the occasional tiger) even crafters with magery and a 70 phys resist suit CAN get the foil, it just takes a while.

I still haven't gotten colored feathers from any of the macaws, I'm hoping for those next.

I did get a peculiar seed off a tiger that wandered up from the SW and attacked me - does anyone know which plant group those belong to?

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So far it looks like the seeds are group 4 but still collecting to make sure. I'm also getting coco tree seeds.
I've found that each nest spawns three birds and they attack as soon as spawned. Two will fly off while you fight the one...only one bird has the foil. I've been using my pets. Precast invis...grab foil...invis. Going to test my mage and archer today. Getting stats as i go will post them as soon as i can. I wanted to tame the pretty blue one, but nontamable. :(

Last edited:

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ah, I'd only heard other people saying they did when I was hunting...but that would explain why I haven't gotten any :)
The colored feathers around Willy the chocolatier's wagon, may give people the idea that the macaws colored feathers can be obtained.
I have killed approx 300 of those little buggers and carved at least half of them if not more and all they give is a raw bird and 36 plain feathers.

Now anything is possible!! this is UO....but I don't think the colored feathers are obtainable.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thank you for letting me know the nest can spawn just two. Lol all the nest i did gave me three. I swear sometimes i think the game hates me.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've made one of each type of chocolate nutcracker, then unwrapped and ate all of them, but didn't get a card...I have to make more.

The new ingredient needed to make these, 'sweet cocoa butter', takes 1 sugar and 1 cocoa butter to make, and looks like a slightly greenish version of the existing dough graphic.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to scrounge around to see if I can find any more sugar. Got a second Shamino card from a dark chocolate nutcracker. So far, 34 nutcrackers yielded 4 cards.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
41 nutcrackers yielded a total of 4 cards, still looking for the 4th card type.
45 nutcrackers and 0 cards boo :( Can't wait to get one but I've run out of ingredients. I've got my seeds planted and now we wait lol I use my bard/tamer to kill off the birds. As soon as they spawn I do an area peace and sic my dragon on them. Been getting 3 birds at a time and do have to heal draggy up occasionally but nothing too severe.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20 nutcrackers and zero cards. I hope the RNG doesn't hate me as much as you @Xenobia b/c I kill everything I plant & have to rely on farming mobs for mats. I've run out of mats also :( . I'm using a mystic disco bard w/ enough magery to never fizzle inviso.

Thanks for posting the pics @Hyssmaye and well done ! :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Does Shamino look a bit like Brad Pitt? Got him from a white chocolate nutcracker. Totals - 19 nutcrackers yielded 3 cards, and I'm running out of sugar!

Looks more like a young Robert Redford to me. :)